Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Yuske's Words and Hiei's Rapture ❯ One Year Later ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
One Year Later:


"Come on we are going to be late. Again!" I heard a voice call up the stairs.
"Alright, I am coming." I said through a yawn. I grabbed my bag and ran downstairs. A small fire demon was standing at the end of the stairs, I think he was smiling.
"You humans are always late. Come on." Hiei grabbed my hand and guided me out the door.
"Hiei, where are we going anyway?"I followed the demon somewhat reluctantly, but just being near him made my heart soar.
"It is a surprise. If I tell you now, that will ruin the effect." Hiei was smiling slightly but maintained his normal non-caring voice. I smiled and walked along with him. We walked past the waterfall we loved. We often came here, either by ourselves or with each other. Hiei stopped for a minute, gazing into the fall. He looked more thoughtful then usual and his mannerisms weren't like him.
"Oh, I know this is suppose to be a happy day, I mean every day we are together is happy, but don't forget, we have to go-" I was cut off by Hiei,
"Yes I know, we have to go to Yuske. I was going to take you there first, but I didn't know if you wanted to start your day off that way." he finally stopped gazing through the fall and turned to me.
"I would like to go, but what did you have planned. We can do whatever you want." I smiled to reassure him.
"No, we can go now." He grabbed my hand and we walked back to town, away from the waterfall.

"This place is depressing, and that is coming from a Demon." Hiei stated as we entered Oakridge cemetery.
"Yeah, I know what you mean. It scares me, I hate coming here." I walked ahead of Hiei, he followed close behind.
"Kurama! So good to see you!" I noticed Kurama kneeling in front of Yuske's grave stone.
"Ah, my dear Nyoko." I hugged him close and gave a half-hearted smile.
"I am sorry we had to meet like this. I haven't heard from you in a long time. Is your job keeping you very busy?" I asked Kurama questions, distracting myself from what was about to happen.
"Yes, being the leader of the Thieves is a hard task, I manage though. I haven't seen you either Hiei my friend." Hiei nodded and said hello. Kurama moved over slightly to talk to Hiei, giving me an opportunity to say 'hi' to Yuske.
"Hey Yuske," the tears were already welling in my eyes, I tried to wipe them away but they seemed to multiply the faster I tried. I finally gave up. "I miss you. Every day I think about you. I know I am with Hiei, but I still miss and love you. You were my first love, and will always be dear in my heart." I whispered these words, hoping Hiei wouldn't hear. He knew I loved Yuske, but it is always hard to hear that your girlfriend has another person locked away in her heart.
"Yes, Hiei, we would love for your assistance on the mission, but do you think that is a good idea?" Kurama lowered his voice and gestured his head in my general direction.
"What are we talking about?" I had recollected myself and my eyes were somewhat dried.
"Nothing, of concern." Kurama smiled, but his smile was obviously fake.
"Kurama here wanted my assistance on a very dangerous mission for the thieves. He didn't want you to know because of its extreme risk that I will die." Hiei told the truth and looked at me blankly.
"Oh, okay. Well, are you going to do it?" I looked at him, my eyes were begging him to say no, but I could see the answer on his face.
"Yes, I always help my friends when they need me. Especially my dear Kurama. I wont die though. I promise you that. If I die you can kill me." he glanced at me, giving a look of reassurance. I tried to smile but being in the cemetery wasn't helping my mood.
"I understand that you want to help your friend. Kurama is a great person to die for." I smiled at the fox demon and he looked away in sadness, "Please just come back to me." I wrapped my arms around Hiei's neck and he hugged me back tightly.
"Come on Nyoko, now our day begins." Hiei pulled away and glanced at Kurama, "Would you like to accompany us?" he asked innocently enough but gave an odd stare that clearly said, 'if you say yes I'll kill you'.
"Oh no, I am far to busy preparing for the mission. I will see you both in the morning." Kurama turned to walk away.
"Oh please Kurama, we are going to. Well , I don't know exactly what we are doing today but you have to come, I wont see you for lord knows how long." I pleaded with him to reconsider.
"Oh really my friends, you will see me in the morning, I will be sure to say good bye to you. Have a good day." he smiled and ran the opposite direction of the entrance and jumped over the fence.
Hiei grabbed my hand and we walked out of the cemetery. First we went to the forest where Hiei and I played 'Hide and Seek' in the trees. (Naturally, I kept losing because I don't have any enhanced senses like Hiei.) We then went out for lunch, and I treated Hiei to a play. Lastly, Hiei took me back to the waterfall.
"It is so gorgeous up here. I love it, I come here so many times. When ever you are gone with Kurama on a mission, or whatever it is you demons do. I come here to think. Thank you for showing it to me." I smiled at Hiei who sat on a rock near by the one I was on.
"You know Nyoko, I know that you love Yuske. I heard you at the cemetery, not that I was listening but you know demons have better hearing then humans." he paused briefly and I felt horrible. I knew I should have gone to see Yuske by myself. "The point is. I accept that you will always have a place for Yuske in your heart, and I understand you love him. I don't think we should see each other anymore. Even though we are good friends and we get along, it would never work I am sure. I know this is sudden, but I can't accept that you are in love with someone else. Good bye Nyoko." Hiei looked into the fall again before jumping up and running off past the hill, leaving me sitting on a rock alone.

"Hello Nyoko, are you and Hiei back already? Is he staying for dinner?" my mother called from the kitchen.
"Uh, no mom," I tried to catch my breath, "umm, Hiei had to go off for a few days. You wont be seeing much of him." I continued crying as I began walking up the stairs.
"Oh that is a shame I like that boy. I was hoping you were finally getting over Yuske." mom added this part softly.
"I'll never get over Yuske!" I ran up to my room and sat on my bed. I had a picture of Hiei on my bed side table, right next to a picture of Yuske. I picked up both of the pictures and threw them both across the room in anger. I didn't even know who I was mad at, no one, everyone. The sound of the glass shattering must have been heard all over the house.
"Nyoko! Are you alright?" my mom ran into my room.
"Yeah, I am fine. I am, not fine mom." I cried harder and my mother went to where the pictures lay. She noticed that they were Hiei and Yuske.
"Let me guess. Hiei broke up with you because he was jealous that you still loved Yuske." my mother looked at me knowingly. I stared up at her in shock.
"How did you know?" I asked her, almost as shocked as I was when Hiei left me.
"Well, why else would you throw his picture? I mean, being made at Yuske, okay, he died, it is the anniversary of his demise that I understand, but Hiei has been your rock for the past year. Him and Suichi are really your best friends. What else would posses you to throw "him" across the room?" she sat next to me on the bed, she had taken the pictures out for what was left of the frame and brought them over with her.
"Now, I know this is hard for you. It seems April is not a good month for you. You have to realize that Hiei is only human, he gets jealous just like you or me. I know you can never replace Yuske, but maybe you could prove that you have room for Hiei too." my mother looked at me and waited for a response.
"But, he is leaving tomorrow. What if I can't find him? I mean, what if he isn't home?" my mother didn't know Hiei was a demon so she thought he lived in town just like Yuske had.
"I am sure he will come to see you before he leaves. Now, let's find a new frame for these guys hmm?" my mother stood up, leaving the pictures on my bed and walked out.
That is one smart mother. I thought to myself. Now, I just need to find Hiei before the mission. Maybe he will come over with Kurama tomorrow, then I can see him before he leaves. What if he doesn't? Will I never see him again? Will he be lost forever? I can't have him die too, I couldn't handle that. What is it with me hooking up with people who thrive on dangerous missions? I laughed at myself.
Nothing eventful happened the rest of the night, I drifted off into an uneasy sleep, hoping Kurama would keep his word and come to visit me, and praying Hiei would come with him.

I opened my eyes, I felt a presence in my room, I looked up to see Kurama and my mother standing in my room.
"Oh, wow, Kur-Suichi you frightened me." I smiled at Kurama, "I am so glad you came." I got up and hugged him.
"I promised I would." he smiled and his voice was joyful.
"He arrived just a few minutes ago, I knew you wouldn't mind waking up to see him." my mother smiled before leaving the room.
"So, the mission starts today?" I sighed heavily.
"Yes, we leave today and should arrive at the castle by tomorrow. It isn't in the living world, so hopefully humans wont get hurt." Kurama continued to describe the mission and about its dangers and perks. The only real danger was that the leader of the group the thieves were fighting was rumored to be immortal. Other then that, it was a pretty basic mission.
"Has Hiei left already?" I asked when he had finished his speech.
"No, he is at my house. He told me what he did. Can I explain?" he paused for a moment and I nodded, "You see, Hiei didn't want you to remain in love with him. He knew your feelings were strong and he wanted to protect you by being a jackass. He figured that if he broke up with you, and he died, you wouldn't care as much." Kurama looked at me kindly.
"Yes, I thought he might be doing that. After all, it is Hiei's way to be confusing and deep." I smiled at the thought of him, "I have to see him before he goes though. Would you take me to your house?"
"I don't see why not, he is at my human house so we don't have request permission for you to enter spirit world. Let's go." Kurama smiled and walked out of my room.
I got dressed as quick as I could and I ran down the stairs.
"By mom, going out with Suichi see you later!" I yelled, I didn't know what room my mother was in so I just yelled it hoping she would hear me.
Kurama and I walked down the street, it was a gorgeous day, there were people everywhere. We only had to walk about two blocks before arriving at Kurama's house.
"Hello Hiei, I am back from Nyoko's." Kurama announced as he walked in the house, he then added to me, "my mother is out of town so there will be no cause for worry." I smiled and nodded.
"Hiei?" Kurama walked through the house, I followed him.
"HIEI?!" he shouted. There was no answer.
"He didn't. He left. He told me he was going to leave without me if I brought you back, but I didn't really believe him. He must have seen us and gone through the window. I am so terribly sorry Nyoko. Would you like me to walk you home?" Kurama looked very upset, almost more so then I was.
"No thank you Kurama, I will be okay. Be careful on your mission." I hugged him briefly, "and tell Hiei, never mind, don't say anything to him. I will tell him someday." I fought back a tear and I left Kurama's house.
I walked to the waterfall that I had grown accustomed too. I noticed that Hiei was there, staring into the fall.
"Hiei," I said, he must have heard me, he whipped around and looked in my general direction, but I hid down behind a shrub. He suddenly jumped up the hill and began running off. I had to say goodbye, I ran as fast as I could to keep up with him, I had to follow him and at least keep him in my site.
Suddenly he dissappeared. I stopped where he had vanished and noticed a giant hole in the middle of the ground. This must be the gateway . I thought to myself. If I jump down, then, I'll be able to continue following him. I looked around me, wondering if anyone was watching. I don't know if that would get him in trouble though.
"You can't stand there forever, the gateway will close." Kurama was standing behind me.
"Oh my god. Don't scare me like that! I almost fell!" I turned and my heart was racing.
"So, you are going to jump anyway." Kurama smiled and jumped into the hole. The swirling green and brown colors engulfed him and I was alone again.
Well, here goes nothing. I closed my eyes and jumped into the hole.