Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Yuske's Words and Hiei's Rapture ❯ So the Misson begins ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
I don't own the characters! Or Poe's 'The Raven' which is loosely used in this chapter! *_*

Chapter 4:


~~~Nyoko's POV~~~

"God! What is that retched smell?" I looked around and noticed that I was in some kind of graveyard. "Oh, dead rotting flesh, now it makes sense." I chuckled nervously. "This is like a picture out of Resident Evil. Gods save me." I stated to the sky. A flash caught my attention as I stared at it I noticed it was Kurama's hair flailing behind him as he ran through the graveyard.
"He must be close to Hiei. I've got to catch up to him!" I ran across the graveyard as fast as I could, it wasn't long before I was out of breath. The awkward terrain wasn't easy to run across. "I've got to get to Hiei." I kept running, reminding myself that if all went according to plan my aching joints would be well worth it. I noticed Kurama slowing down, which caused me to almost collapse with joy.
POV~~~

"Think you can take half my friend?" I asked Kurama as I heard him approach me.
"Legions of the undead eh? Only half, no problem!" Kurama pulled out his rose whip. He looked so determined even though legions of the undead were like fighting the late Kuwabara.
I pulled out my sword and sliced through about twenty of the zombies. The undead tried to grab at my feet as I calmly kicked their heads off, banishing them to hell once and for all. Kurama and I finished battling the zombies, there were only about 75, and I sensed a human.
"Kurama, she didn't?" I asked my companion. His quick glance to the faraway sky revealed the truth.
"It is to dangerous Kurama. She can't be here. Send her back!" I barked at him.
"I can't do that. You left her heartbroken Hiei, she needs closure, I can't stop her." Kurama looked at me, his eyes weary. He looked away toward the castle.
"Fine. Closer it is!" I walked over to where I sensed Nyoko. She was easy to find, her ragged breathing made her as easy to spot as a cow in a flock of seagulls.
"I sense you Nyoko. Don't try to run away." I called to her as I noticed her trying to scramble away.
"Hiei, I am sorry I followed you, but I had to say good bye to you. You can't leave a girl for stupid reasons and not expect her to retaliate." Nyoko stared at me with big green eyes.
"I left you heartbroken because I didn't want you to follow me! This is far to dangerous, and I didn't want you to have an attachment to me, like you do with Yuske. Please, just let me leave in peace, so that if I die my soul wont have regrets." I looked down at the ground, I couldn't stand looking into her gorgeous innocent eyes.
"Hiei," Nyoko seemed to be searching for the right words, but I never once looked at her, it hurt to much. "I love you Hiei." I looked up in shock. Nyoko looked down at the ground, trying not to make eye contact with me. I could sense a great fear within her.
"Nyoko," I began, but was cut off.
"I know Hiei, you made your feelings perfectly clear! I just had to tell you before you went off and got yourself killed. I love you and I hope that is reason enough for you to live." Suddenly she ran over to me and held me in her arms. I panicked, no girl had ever cared for me this much, well except my sister, but that was a different caring.
I returned the hug and embraced the girl tightly. She smelled like a beautiful spring day, I inhaled her sent as best I could without her noticing. I felt a wet drop on my shoulder and pulled away from her.
"Why are you crying?" I asked her.
"Because, I don't want you to go, but I know that you will help your friends until the day you die, and I just don't want you to die!" she flung herself back on me and I again tried to comfort her.
"Hiei!" I heard Kurama's voice call from somewhere behind me. I nodded to acknowledge I was paying attention. "Hiei, we have to go. The bandits are moving, if we don't hurry they could get out of our reach." Kurama silenced and all that could be heard was a raven in the distance.
"Look, Nyoko, I have to go and help Kurama. I will come back to you. I am sorry I was a jerk, I," I couldn't bring myself to tell her my feelings. Even though she had revealed hers to me, I still couldn't bring the wall down that surrounded my heart. "I didn't want you to get hurt. I will come back for you though, I promise. Go home and wait for me." Nyoko looked at me, not wanting to obey.
"I can't do that Hiei. I am staying with you. You don't have to protect me, concentrate on your mission. If you make me go home, I am just going to come back, you will save yourself a great deal of effort if you just allow me to go now." she looked at me with a fixed resolve, her mind was clearly made up.
"I really must insist that you go home Nyoko. However, since you insist on staying, follow me." I ran ahead of her, comprehension taking a moment to dawn on the girl as she ran to catch up with me.

~~~ Nyoko's POV~~~

I ran to follow him. It took me a minute to realize he was accepting that I had to follow him. I ran as fast as I could, he was really far ahead of me, and he didn't appear to be slowing down. The graves passed in a blur of gray as I ran faster then I had ever run before. The castle rapidly approached and my legs were giving out. Be stronger, be stronger . I kept telling myself that I couldn't surrender to my weakness. Hiei slowed down and walked up the castle stairs. "Oh thank the gods." I mumbled to myself as I saw him slowing. I ran to catch up and then came to a slow walk beside him, holding my side which ached even more then it did before.
"Nyoko. We have a problem. You like 'mythological' languages right?" Kurama asked me and I nodded at him to inform him that I was paying attention. "Well, you see, this door is locked with some kind of spell and we can't read what it says. Can you help?"
"I'll see what I can do." I said to him. I walked closer to the wall and noticed that there was bronze writing surrounding the door, and an odd blue mist that hovered in front of it. I began to mutter out loud, trying to read the language. "Antaki a laohso menidia cornamei chai posifmiotakalas lainter or sawguput. Neveol la instaop qutiolo anitaka vbeziiodlsa."
"And that means what to me?" Hiei spoke, breaking my concentration.
"Well, it is basically saying 'Quoth the raven hissing through the trees; the wind howls in the night, the clouds are the only thing I see, the rain pouring down around me, ever since that fateful night, I can't even bare to look outside. It's all to much to take in, you left me here all alone, nevermore, upon the threshold of immortality, I quoth the life of an everlasting unity. If you see no reason to enter here, turn back. The raven quoth's.'" I finished my speech, pondering the meaning behind the riddle.
"Well, that doesn't help does it." Kurama said with an almost amused tone.
"What exactly are we doing here? What is the mission?" I asked trying to get a better feel for what the riddle may mean.
"There was a prince who died three years ago. There was a tragic tale, he was to be wed to the princess of a far off land, whom he despised, he was actually in love with a servant girl who worked in his castle, this castle. The night before the wedding the young prince decided that he would never marry a girl like the one he was promised too. He slit his throat, ending his life. The servant girl had the unpleasant task of finding her lover the next morning, his throat slit open, dry blood congealed to his cold lifeless body, and onto his, already crimson, sheets. The girl then tried to kill herself, but one of the other servants stopped her. She led the rest of her life alone, determined not to fall in love ever again, and to not marry anyone. She died an old, alone woman.
"The bandits awoke her tortured soul so that they could use her undead powers to raid ships and castles. The only problem was, she wasn't very friendly to those who tortured her already tainted soul. Don't get me wrong, she wasn't an evil person, but her soul was tainted with sadness and hurt. When she was awoken she was said to want to exact revenge on all who awoke her.
"We followed the bandits back here because we figured they would come back and try to right what they have wronged. If we don't stop this woman's tortured soul and send her back to the gods, life for earth could end." Kurama finished his speech and sat down on one of the steps.
"'Antaki a laohso menidia cornamei chai posifmiotakalas lainter or sawguput. Neveol la instaop qutiolo anitaka vbeziiodlsa'. Isn't it obvious?" I stopped for a moment, havingthe answer of the puzzle.
"No, it is not obvious, why don't you enlighten us?" Hiei finally spoke, looking down at me from where he was standing.
"Well, the servant girl didn't want her lover to leave her alone in the world, even if he had to marry someone else. As long as he was alive, she didn't care. Then when she couldn't kill herself to be with him her heart became a rock, with an impenetrable boarder. Once her soul was finally at rest, no doubt with her love, and she got awoken it made her angry. Now her undead soul will stop at nothing to be at peace again.
"Basically, the riddle is saying that she was sad about what happened and wishes he were immortal but no matter what they will be united forevermore. The nevermore is basically saying that everything she ever thought was right was a lie. I am guessing." I had stood up and was now looking at the lettering again.
"That does make sense Nyoko, but are how does that help us open the door?" Kurama questioned. It seemed as though he were trying to be cautious about how he worded his sentence.
"Well, yes, I realize that." I paused for a moment, still pondering the meaning, "I don't know how to open the door."
"You must have some idea. After all you and her share similar feelings." Hiei spoke, he was now sitting on the top step looking out to the graveyard. His words seemed cold, unlike him.
"What does that mean Hiei?" I questioned back, even though I thought I knew what he spoke of.
"I am just saying, her lover died and she couldn't stop him from leaving her, so forever she held him in her heart, blocking out almost everyone until her dying day. You must know something of what that feels like." His words cut through my head, like a chainsaw through a dead tree.
"Don't do that Hiei? This is not the time to discuss your jealousy. I do have an inkling as to how she feels, but that is not the important issue." I stopped talking as the door began to shake. I watched it in amazement as a mystical voice called from beyond the entrance.
"Ina tasica ohpen itamlipa quasen tiola hrezpojfa blames detp icansta!" The voice started off soft and gentle, and as it continued it began to gain brutality and resounded loudly.
"What is it saying?" Kurama called, trying to be heard over the wind that was now swirling around the entrance.
"I think, if I am understanding correctly, she is saying enter." I stated shakily.
"It took her all that to say, 'enter'?" Kurama asked bemusedly.
"Well, she was a little more dramatic, I was paraphrasing!" I yelled back. The voice stopped and the wind picked up, howling even louder as it whipped around us. I walked over the threshold of the castle and looked back at my companions.
"What are you waiting for?" I yelled to them. They looked at each other and walked in behind me. The wind stopped almost instantly as we walked into the hall. The door slammed quickly, shaking the pictures on the wall. I jumped and looked back, our exit was sealed.
"Well, looks as though there is no turning back." Kurama stated as we walked gingerly through the hall. There were torches lit to light our way.
"I wonder if the bandits were in here already, or if the voice lit these." Kurama stated, almost making a joke out of the whole situation. I stopped and gave him a quick glanced and continued walking. After walking for several minutes I noticed a tall creature standing in an open between our hall and one across the room.
"What is that?!" I asked in a whisper.
"It looks as though that is an evil creature." Kurama stated calmly.
"Yes, you see, the bandits have a.. " Hiei paused looking for the right word, "band of creatures that guard there whereabouts at all times. He must be one of the guardians." We continued to walk toward the creature.
The creature was tall, roughly twelve feet. It had giant shark like teeth, which oozed a greenish-red liquid that left the stench of rotting flesh in the air. It also had an 'all-seeing' eye in its arm. It had at least two heads on its neck and one growing inside its chest. It's veins were popping out and it's muscles were bulging as though they could explode at any time. It was the most revolting thing I had ever seen. Slowly the monster descended on us, he stuck out a massive tongue, that was a purple color, and began to lick his lower lip.
"Who shall be first? I'm hungry!" its voice was even more repulsive then its appearance. It was gruff and shrilly at the same time. It's breath was even more putrid then its natural odor, and I wanted to gag.
"I'll take you on!" Hiei stated. I looked at him in shock, as he pushed me back. I fell against Kurama who caught me automatically. I started to stop him but Kurama pulled me away. Hiei threw his coat on the floor and looked up at the monster... he was smiling.