Zero No Tsukaima Fan Fiction ❯ Zero no Tsukaima The Holy Knights ❯ Chapter 9

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Home
 
A few days later Rain wakes up and they leave the old man's inn without telling her the story leading her to believe that Seth and Airo worked in the inn for the rest of the money Airo needed.
Rain looks over at Seth and notices how in such a short amount of time he has practically become a native of Halkinginia, “Uhm Seth?”
Seth looks over at her and smiles, “Yes?”
Rain fumbles in her mind how to ask but she blurts out what she initially wanted to say, “What was your world like?”
Seth stops walking and can't believe what she just asked, “You believe that I'm not from here for sure now?” Seth starts walking again and shrugs, “Well I was born in a state that is surrounded by big lakes on three sides. We had really bad winters and the summers just never seemed to last long enough. Where I came from we didn't have very many large buildings and to be perfectly honost your village reminds me of my home, in size and amount of people.” Seth crosses his arms and looks up at the sky, “It was so boring, there was nothing to do and practically impossible to make money.”
Rain looks over at him, “What was your families trade?”
“Their.....trade?”
Rain laughs at him, “What did they do to make money, my village farms and makes various things to sell and trade, what about your family.”
“Well I couldn't really tell you what my dad did, for all I know he's dead......” Seth shakes the bad feelings, “Well my mom was a........” Seth finds that reminiscing about his dead mother a painful subject and changes it again, “Well my brother work at a bank.”
“Bank?”
“Oh yeah, no banks in this world huh?” Uhm a bank is where you go to store your money so that it is safe.”
Rain nods, “But what if this bank spends your money?”
Seth tries to answer but realizes that he knows next to nothing about what actually happens in a bank, “Well I don't know....If my brother was here he'd be able to tell you.” Seth looks down at the ground and starts kicking a stone as he catches up to it. The silence continues for a few more minutes before Seth speaks up again, “Ma, was a beautician.....she was always pretty depressed and liked to drink more than she liked being a mother. She pretty much stopped taking care of herself for those last couple of months, she stopped working and just sat around, usually drunk......”
Seth bumps into something and stops walking. He looks up and Rain is standing in his way. Before he can say anything she steps forward and wraps he arms around his torso. Before he can object a feeling or happiness and sadness flows over him and he can only lift his arms and hold onto her.
“Thank you.”
 
 
A few miles from her village Rain looks up and sees smoke rising into the sky. Before Seth can react she jumps onto her horse and rides away.
“Rain!!!” Seth sprints after her.
Rain gets into the village first and finds that it has been massacred many of the old people are lying dead outside of their homes. Rain gets off the horse and starts running through the village trying to find Cloud.
Seth shows up awhile after she does and the site of the whole village smoldering brings him to his knees. He hears someone crying and races off in the direction of the sound. He rounds a corner around a house and finds Rain cradling Cloud's lifeless body.
Seth walks up to her and falls to his knees and just sits quietly as Rain cries. Seth looks at something Cloud has clutched in his dead hand, a red bandanna. Seth doesn't know what to think of it.
'Could it have been the red gang, no that is impossible I destroyed the entire group, unless......maybe that wasn't the whole group maybe there is a much bigger group and that was just one of the smaller groups of the larger one.'
Seth stands up and walks out of the village and up to the hill where he sat the last time.
A few hours Rain comes up to the hill and sits down beside him, “What are we gonna do now?”
Seth looks at her with a serious intensity in his eyes, “We are going to find them, we are going to make them pay.” Rain nods and wipes her tears away. “We should get going before we completely lose track of these people.”
Rain looks at him her eyes still teary, “How are we going to follow them?”
“There are tracks, I found them when I was waiting for you...” Seth stands up and helps her to her feet, “Let's go.”
Rain gets up and says a few words in a language he doesn't understand, possibly a final prayer or a ritualistic tome. Rain looks over at Seth and grabs him by the wrist, “Well you please burn the village?
“What?!”
Rain takes his other wrist and shakes them, “We can't just leave all those bodies out for birds and other things to desecrate their bodies!”
Seth reaches behind his back and pulls his gauntlets on, “.................haaaaaaa.........” Seth looks over at Rain and she nods. Seth plants his right foot and thrusts his hands forward, “IGNIS!!!!!” Seth fires a giant ball of fire that falls onto the middle of the town and the impact spread the flames throughout the little village.
The villages red and yellow flames shoot into the darkening blue of the sun set sky in a beautiful send off to Rain's village.