InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ New Life ❯ Chapter 3 ( Chapter 3 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Year: 1534
Month: February

Kagome lifted her gaze to see a group of men before her. Her gaze moved over each of them, inspecting them warily. “What can I do for you gentleman?”

“What is a little girl like you doing out and about alone?”

Kagome smiled as she bowed her head. “I am visiting this village with my son.”

“Where is your husband?”

“I have never before received a husband.”

“You leave my mama alone.” Shippo had bolted up in her arms, appearing to be an eight-year-old human boy.

The men laughed. “We're just asking about your mom kid.”

Shippo growled darkly. Kagome gently set Shippo on the ground. “Shippo stay behind me no matter what.” Shippo stared at Kagome in confusion. This was not the Kagome he knew. Shivers raced down his spine as he looked in her eyes. What had that tree done to her?

Kagome turned back to the men without smiling. “So, what is a pretty woman like you doing with that sword?”

“I would suggest you let me pass good sirs.”

“Oh, and what would you do then?”

Kagome bowed her head, her bangs hiding her eyes. “I say this only once more. Remove yourself from my path and leave us be. I do not associate with scum such as you.”

Growls came from the men before her. “Get her and the brat too.”

She could feel Shippo shiver behind her. “Mama…”

“Stay back Shippo.” Shippo immediately ran a few feet back. Already, curious villagers were coming toward them.

A man scooped Shippo in his arms. “Don't worry my boy. You'll be safe with me until your mother finishes.” Shippo blinked and looked at the man. There was something… strong about him. Shippo nodded.

“I want to stay.” The man nodded. Shippo could tell that this man was curious about his mother.


Kagome allowed her senses to tell her the movements of her opponents. Her power had grown beyond belief. She could sense the vile filth that filled these men's souls. As she felt them move around her, she smirked.

Two of them attempted to catch her arms but she dodged them by leaping into the air. Landing on one of their heads, she kicked the other, sending him flying while the other fell to the ground. He was almost immediately knocked unconscious. Kagome tilted her head and smiled in innocence at the men. Out of the eight men, six were left. They were gaping. Their leader struggled to speak before finally yelling. “I want her dead!”

Shippo whimpered. “Hush now young one. Have no fear. Mina… take the boy for me.”

“Keitaro?” Shippo found himself set next to a girl about his age. He blinked in surprise. He watched the man step forward. Looking over at his mother, he blinked.

What had that tree done to his mother? He was worried. Maybe if they ran across Inuyasha he'd be able to let them know. Besides, what really worried him was that she no longer smelled human. The man and this girl were human though.

Kagome sensed the male that stepped forward. This one was pure of heart although he had stains on his soul. This man… there was something off about him. The man moved to stand next to her. “Milady, if you would allow me.”

Kagome tilted her head slightly in confusion. Why were some of these men on the ground? “I suppose you may.” Turning, Kagome moved to the edge of the crowd. Shippo ran forward and leapt into her arms.

“Mama! I'm glad you're safe.”

“Yes, my dear. Come, let us go and find something to eat.”

Shippo grinned. “Okay Mama!”

Kagome smiled softly. “Let us go.”

Kagome laughed softly as she watched Shippo eat the snack she had gotten him. He was downing the fish as though he hadn't eaten in a while. Holding her sleeve to her mouth, Kagome attempted to stifle her laughter. “Your son is very hungry.”

Kagome whirled and found herself facing the man. He was wearing normal clothing that a farmer might wear but there was something about him. He smiled charmingly. “Forgive me milady. I did not mean to startle you.”

Kagome smiled and bowed her head. “Think nothing of its sir. You were not gone so long.”

“I had to drop off the gentleman to the daimyo.” Kagome raised a brow. Shippo suddenly looked up at her and then over her shoulder at the man. She saw his eyes narrow.

“No.” Her voice was soft enough for only him to hear. He huffed and went back to eating momentarily until he noticed the girl from earlier. He grinned.

“I did not introduce myself earlier. I am Keitaro and this little one is Mina. She is an orphan that I have taken care of for some time now.” Kagome glanced down at the child that was speaking excitedly with Shippo.

“This is my son. We shall be continuing on now.” Kagome turned to leave.

“Usually it is polite to give your name when you are given someone else's.” Kagome glanced over her shoulder and smirked, her eyes narrowing.

“I did not give my name because I did not wish to do so. Goodbye Keitaro.” She returned to moving forward. Within seconds, Shippo was right behind her.

Keitaro watched the woman walk away. There was something about her. He couldn't understand what it was though. The girl was obviously in a position where she had had a lot of exercise. She had been active. Could she use the sword at her side? Her hands had been callused but at the same time, it wasn't the usual calluses. His eyes narrowed in thought as he watched her walk away. She knew that he was watching her. He would discover her secret.

Kagome gave a small smile as she watched Shippo skip ahead of her. The basket rested on her hip in comfort. As they neared an inn, Kagome entered. “Hello. I would like to rent a room.” The innkeeper looked up and smiled.

“Of course.”

As they haggled the price, Shippo began to meander throughout the room. He didn't know how she had gotten money but apparently, she had plenty of it. As he moved next to the fire, he glanced around. There were quite a few people in here although most of them were seated at tables and talking quietly.

Shippo looked around, sniffing delicately. Humans were such disgusting creatures. Miroku, Sango and Kagome had been the only ones he could stand. Well now Kagome wasn't in the picture of being human.

“Come my son.” Shippo glanced up and smiled. “I have our room. Let us go and rest. Perhaps we will seek some work around here. I think I may search out rumors for a teacher for myself and you as well. To help with our sword work and other things.” Shippo nodded in excitement. Kagome laughed softly. “I do have to show Bokuseno-Sama that he did not waste his knowledge and belief on me.” Shippo leapt in her arms giggling.

Turning, Kagome glanced at the innkeeper. “Tell no one about us please.” Her eyes glinted darkly. He blinked and began to shiver in fear, bowing his head to her in respect. Satisfied, Kagome headed upstairs. She had ensured that Shippo had never seen her look.

Kagome found herself unable to sleep. Shippo was curled up in a ball in the bed. Hearing his whimper, she rose and gently untied the top of her hoari. Placing the blue fabric gently around Shippo's form, she allowed herself to relax a moment.

She would be able to live with her son till the end of his days. Her eyes saddened. Youkai had long lives, but she doubted that they could live forever. Shaking her head, Kagome moved to the wall by the bed. Dropping her head, she found herself remembering. The six months out on sea had changed her. Midoriko and the generals had trained her as she slept on the mass of carcasses. The same carcasses that was now torn into pieces in the basket next to her.

The footsteps in the hall caught her attention then. Her hand moved to the blade at her side. Her thumb gently lifted her blade slightly from the sheathe. Her eyes remained closed. The footsteps were soft and careful. Her eyes opened partially. A dark look overcame her. In that instant, the old Kagome was gone from sight. Standing, she moved to the door and stepped out.

Her eyes glittered almost black. As she entered the sphere of a lamp, those eyes were purple. “Come…” Her voice was soft and almost seducing. The person froze in shock. Then a soft chuckle escaped into the hall.

As they stepped outside, she turned to face the man before her. “I will have your name woman.”

“I am Chi-Ken no Tama.” She watched the man Keitaro before her. “Why do you follow me?”

“That sword… where did you get it?”

“This is mine.”

“You lie. No woman carries a katana such as that.” A soft laugh escaped her.

“Then come at me little boy.”

“I am no boy. I am Keitaro, leader of my Lord Makoto's guard. I will remove that sword from your possession, and you will live out your days in the dungeons. It is unlawful for a woman to carry a katana.” She smirked darkly.

Keitaro darted forward, angry. As he raised his weapon at the woman, he smirked. She wouldn't escape him. She was no more than a silly girl that thought she could use a weapon. She had some skills but not much.

As he brought down the sword, he blinked in surprise. She was gone. “Pitiful.” This was a very different woman than the one he had met earlier. This woman was dark and dangerous. Turning, he saw her standing a few feet away. She appeared bored. He growled softly.

Turning, he leveled his katana at her. Darting forward, he attempted to slice her. Suddenly a ring of metal came to him. He blinked. She had pulled her weapon.

Smirking, Kagome pushed the man away from her. Leveling her weapon, she awaited his advance. He was pitiful. In comparison to many fights she had had in the past, he was nothing. “I suggest that you let me pass.”

“I think not girl.”

“Very well then.” Suddenly she was gone from his view. As she brought down her weapon, she smirked as she made a connection. Stepping back from him, she watched as he fell unconscious. Turning, she sheathed her weapon and stepped back in the inn to head upstairs.