InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A Sealed Fate ❯ Chapter 21

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

He felt as if he was suspended; his head was spinning and had a heavy feel to it, as if his neck was supporting pure lead. Yet he felt dizzy and weightless. He couldn't decide which feeling he preferred; the weight of reality or the freedom of succumbing to his body's natural reaction to the pain. The adrenaline causing a natural, wonderful high for the demon. He wanted to both fight and sleep forever.

Koga lay on the ground, Kagome hovering over him. No, that was not her. The haze was clouding his vision and thoughts. The bitch who had done this to him was not his sweet woman. She had shot the arrow, the woman with the face of his mate. Him! The wolf prince!

“Heh, you missed bitch. I'm still alive.”

“You are fortunate, wolf. As you seemed to be on good terms with Inuyasha and his companions, I did not aim for your heart. I shot to bring you down, no more.” She gave a slight smile. “You must be strong indeed, to still be able to have rational thought. Tell me, has it gone numb, where my arrow pierced? If not, you should be feeling the effect soon. However, it will not spread to the area that you will need it most.”

The wolf took a moment to focus on his surroundings. He could see his pack a distance away, alongside Kagomes friends. They… they couldn't advance?

“Barrier?” He managed to stumble out. “Were inside a barrier?”

“Yes, I erected it so that way I would be undisturbed.”

“Eh?”

Kikyou reached down and removed a shard from Kogas leg. He howled wildly.

“St-stop woman! That fucking hurts!”

Blood poured from where she had made the haphazard incision. She had no need for delicacy. This was just another tainted demon using the shard for his own purposes.

“If you don't lie still, the next will hurt more. Perhaps I should make it painful to teach you a lesson about trying to obtain power from impure methods?”

“Who the fuck are you, you bitch?” Koga sneered between pants.

“I was the guardian of the Shikon. I was once charged with the duty to protect this jewel from degenerates such as you. Demons of more substance than yourself have met their end from my bow. Consider yourself lucky, demon.”

She looked down at his leg, the wound open and bloodied.

“Is it not funny, wolf, that it takes no bloodshed to insert these troublesome shards, yet it must always be taken through violent and harmful means? The removal always seems to require the spill of blood.”

And with that, she removed the final shard in his leg, taking care to dig a little deeper than necessary.

~.~

They brought Koga back to Kaedes village. He needed care, and a safe place to rest. The wound in his shoulder, the two in his legs…

Kikyou felt no remorse. It was as if an instinct came back to her. She must protect the jewel from those who wish to abuse it. She had been taught all her life not to trust demons. From her earliest memories, she could recall her training. Her arrows would strike true. The demons would meet their demise. The village would be safe.

Demons were from a different world. They could not feel what human did; they could not understand the value of human life, the fragility of it, the passage of time. It was simply different for them.

Because they could not understand, they couldn't relate. They would manipulate, twit and take whatever they wanted. She must be prepared.

Inuyasha had been different. He was half human after all. She could never truly trust him in life. He still had the blood of a demon.

But that was in life. She was dead after all. She had thought that he couldn't hurt her anymore in this state.

She had been wrong.

She knew that he was in love with that girl; her reincarnation. It had to be just a passing whim. She was superior to her in all ways. So, the dog demon simply had to spend more time with her. She would make him remember why they had fallen in love.

But first, they had to take care of the threat that loomed over their heads.

Kagome.

The miko had felt the pull of her soul as soon as that girl came back. She wasn't sure how, but she knew she had been there. That night she had run to Inuyasha and inwardly trembeled in fear. She was going to take him away.

She couldn't.

`Inuyasha… Inuyasha was all Ive ever had…'

She had felt it every time. Always on the nights of the new moon, when the sun had set and the demon became a man. Did she not wish to see him? Had her feelings been that flimsy that he could forget him? Or did it simply hurt too much?

When Inuyasha had tried to pass through the well that first time, she swore that she had a beating heart again. Her energy was so depleted. 'Hes going to get through to her. I'll never be with him again…'

But it had not worked. That child must have resealed the well.

The fool.

Yet all the better for Kikyou.

She had to destroy the Shikon. She was not exactly sure how she still possessed a shard, but Kikyou knew they were the key for getting to and from realms. She had to wish on the jewel. She had to erase every possibility of that girl ever coming back again.

She had been thrilled when the wolf made his appearance. After going so long without finding a piece of the Shikon, she felt happy to have not one but two more pieces.

If only the rest of the group shared that sentiment.

Dirty looks were given the entire way to the hut. Kikyou let them roll off her shoulders. She had endured worse that petty anger from the likes of them.

What was more troublesome was that Inuyasha seemed displeased. She had not gotten the impression that the wolf and he were close. In fact, it appeared as if they were rivals! So why was he suddenly so touchy that Kogas shards had been forcefully taken? He should have been happy that his opponent was made a fool.

The slayer and the monk made a point to fuss over him. Had it been a mere mortals arrows, they would have done little to stop the demon. But, as they were fired by the miko the impact was staggering.

They had been there a week, inside Kaedes hut. He seemed to be making progress at a snail's pace.

“Oi, Kaede! How much longer until this mangy wolf gets on his feet and the hell out of here? His stench makes me sick.”

“Ha, your one to talk mutt. You smell like wet dog!”

“Why you-“

“Inuyasha, may I have a word?”

“Feh!” Inuyasha turned to leave the hut, Miroku following behind.

“Inuyasha, the new moon will be upon us tonight. What do you intend to do?”

The hanyou shrugged and wore a grimace. “I'll just sleep in the forest.”

“N-no! I don't think that's a good idea. Maybe a privacy screen?”

“Whats your problem monk? You got something against me being outside?”

“P-problem? None at all! I simply think-“

“You think too much. Don't worry about it.”

“Your right… “He said as he hung his head. “Say, Inu-“

“MONK! I NEED TO SPEAK WITH YOU. NOW.”

“Of course my dear Sango!” Miroku turned to Inuyasha and gave his apologies.

They walked a fair distance from him, making sure to be out of his hearing range.

Had they not been so anxious, they may had noticed the swift movements of silver and red following them.

~.~

“You weren't about to tell Inuyasha, were you Miroku?”

“What gives you that impression?” He asked, plastering an innocent smile on his face.

“Because you do the same thing every month! How many times do I have to tell you to keep that perverted mouth of yours closed?”

“But Sango, isn't it only right-“

“I don't care. I don't care about what's right and wrong. What I care about is getting to see her. We have certain unspoken rules. Obey them.”

`Unspoken rules.' He sighed. `Yes, one must never mention Kikyou. Or Inuyasha. Whenever their names slip off my tongue the mood becomes unpleasant and I pay for it tenfold. And Kagome, so clearly in pain. So obviously in love with that poor hanyou. Why Sango will not allow me to meddle…'

The first night she had left, he had made a plan. He would tell his friend what had happened, and he could properly speak with the miko and set things right. Sango had other ideas. She had cornered him, threatened him to keep silent.

In the end, it was not her anger that made him keep quiet, but rather the contentment and happiness that she received from seeing Kagome. It was a reunion of long lost sisters; it was what her soul needed. It was something that he could not give. He wanted to support and cherish the woman he loves. So, as much as he valued and pitied Inuyasha, he would not destroy Sangos chance at happiness. He promised to not speak of a word of it to the dog demon.

But that vow became harder and harder to keep as time passed on. It was pointless suffering, one that could be ended so easily!

But Sango was too afraid to jinx it… and he was too terrified to be the cause.

As much as he enjoyed seeing his friend, he dreaded the meetings. It left a bad taste in his mouth. He felt like a coward.

The monk sighed.

“Even though he makes it clear that he loves Lady Kagome-“

“It doesn't matter! He acted selfishly and everyone suffered. Now, we have the chance to reclaim a bit of that happiness and I won't have it ruined by anyone! You do not understand what it was like for me, Miroku. I was shunned by woman, looked down on by men. I had no place to truly fit into once I took off my slayer gear. She was my first friend…” Tears gathered in her eyes as she let her sentence fall.

“Ah, Sango.” He circled his arms around the slayer. She rested her head against his chest.

“If you say anything, I will never forgive you, Miroku.”

“But what if it brings them together?”

“I'm… not willing to chance that.”

“I see” He placed a kiss on the crown of her hair.

“Promise me, Miroku.”

“I promise.”

“I will need to have this talk with you again next month, wont I?”

“Ah, most likely.”

“We have a slight problem though.”

“Oh?”

“What are we going to do about Koga?”

~.~

Kagome fluttered around excitedly. Tonight was the new moon! She did her best to gather her belongings and squish them in the bag. She couldn't bring nearly as much as she wanted. Eventually Inuyasha would catch on about the supplies. It's not like Sango had an unending supply of feminine products.

She walked down the stairs to prepare dinner for her friends. She loved doing this; it felt like in some small way she could take care of them again. Even if only for a night.

Kagome looked out the window. The sun would be setting soon. She took her things and headed out.

She checked for Jiro. It seemed that he was always a step ahead of her. She spotted him talking to a patron. Now was her chance! She dashed to the well house and slid the door closed. She didn't mind waiting until the sun set. She had been waiting all month for this! As long as she got to the other side, that was all that mattered.

She had often sat in the shelter here when she easily traveled between worlds. After she had left Inuyasha for good, she had avoided it like the plague. It was always too tempting to drown herself in memories and sorrow.

Kagome looked at the unbroken sutras that prevented access from the past. Once Kikyou had taught her how to seal the well, recreating them had been no problem. She had found that it wasn't her grandfather's sutras that were the issue before; it was that he lacked the spiritual power to cast them. She decided to keep that to herself.

She fingered the sutra idly. She wondered why she even bothered doing this anymore. After a year, she was sure that Inuyasha was not attempting to get to her. Maybe when she came back she wouldn't waste her time sealing it. She was always so exhausted after the meetings with her friends.

The girl let out a sigh. Couldn't time move faster?

~.~

“What is it you need to show me out here?” Koga asked skeptically. It still was not pleasant to move around but when the slayer and the monk said they had something important to discuss with them, he felt compelled to follow them.

“Are you sure this is a good idea Miroku?” She asked under her breath.

“Yes Sango. Koga would surely smell Kagome the moment she stepped out of the well. He would certainly rouse Inuyashas suspsions.”

“And Inuyasha didn't seem to think us taking Koga out was strange?” She asked, arching a brow.

“I simply told him that we would discuss battle plans for Naraku and keep him out of his hair until the new moon passes.”

“I have a bad feeling about this.” She said as she worried her lower lip.

“Oi, if your done muttering, would you mind telling me what the hell is going on?”

“Koga, we are willing to share a secret with you-“

“A secret? I don't give a crap about your secrets monk.”

“Ah, not even if they concern Lady Kagome?”

“Kagome?”

“But first you must promise that you will follow her wishes. And above all else keep it a secret.”

“You know where Kagome is?” He blurted out, his danergous teeth showing.

“Koga, you must promise that if she wishes to return home, you will let her.”

“Listen here, I-“

He whirled around. He knew that sweet scent. Wildflower…Kagome. KAGOME!

His jaw dropped as he saw the raven haired woman, his mate, emerge from the well. “Oh! Koga! What are-“

Before she could utter out her sentence, the wold swept her into his arms. He leaned his nose into her neck and breathed deeply.

“Kagome.” It was as if he was purring.

“Oh! Koga….” She was taken completely aback. Had he always been so forward? Normally he would clasp her hands or perhaps press a kiss to the back of them. Never this. It felt so intimate.

When he wouldn't release her Shippo stepped forward.

“Hey Koga! Stop hogging Kagome! We want to see her too!”

~.~

He knew something was up. It had been on his mind for quiet some time now. However, it wasn't until Miroku became flustered that the hanyou knew something was going to happen for sure. And soon.

They acted strangely every new moon. They had various reasons why they would not stay with him in the hut. Sango had to pay her respects to her family. Miroku heard of an extermination job nearby. They simply wished to spend the night under the stars. He had not bought it for a second.

But he let them think he did.

He was just waiting for them to slip up. And when he heard Sangos anxious scream, he knew it was his chance.

So he had followed them. He kept an appropriate distance as not to be seen. The dog demon did not need to get that close. His ears twitched as he focused in on the words.

They were talking about him.

And…

…Kagome…

~.~

A camp fire was quickly made and Kagome dished out the food she had prepared. She was thankful she always brought more than necessary, she had not planned to see the wolf demon again!

“Kagome! Want to see my new trick?!” Shippo asked anxiously.

“Of course Shippo!”

Kagome watched as the kit transformed, much to her delight.

~.~

Without his demon senses, he couldn't pick up a scent. But that didn't mean he was unable to track. He followed their steps until he reached the forest.

He heard her before anything else.

Her laughter. Was he imagining it? It sounded so sweet, it twisted his soul.

He felt his feet moving forward. He wanted to break into a run. He wanted to stay back in case he scared her off. He was so indecisive it made his feet freeze to the spot.

He decided to keep his distance. He was worried this breath taking image would shatter if he came to close.

He saw the light of the fire, watched as the flames illuminated her face. Gods was she beautiful. Her hair, had it gotten longer? Her body, her supple, sweet seductive body… it was teasing him with every slight maneuver she made. He was whimpering to touch her, to feel the smooth feel of her skin under her fingertips; to revisit the places where she was most sensitive.

He heard another bout of laughter. She was amused at Shippos antics. Inuyasha was not even aware that he had balled his hands into tight fists.

~.~

“That was great Shippo!”

“Thanks Kagome! Ive been going away to practice. Its hard for me to stay here with Kikyou. Her smel is just too much for me. So I figured if I trained while the rest of the group fights, maybe I can be a help someday!”

“Oh Shippo, you know you are always a help! But we are all proud of you for expanding your talents.”

“And what news do you have Kagome? How is your family?”

“Oh, not much changes at home. Things are pretty much the same.” She said with a smile. “And my family is good! Souta is getting so big, and mama is busy nonstop. Gramps is just as cranky and ever and Jiro…”

“Oh yes, tell us what has he been up to? Is he still trying to pursue you?”

Kagome blushed.

“Yes. He has not given up yet. Honestly, I don't get that guy.”

“You have someone at your home who is trying to claim you? Tell him your my woman Kagome! I'll put my scent all over you. That will keep the bastard at bay.”

“Hah, thanks Koga, but Jiro is not a demon. In fact, in my time period, we don't have any at all.”

“What? None?”

“Nope.”

“Not even the wolves?”

Kagome realized just how harsh that must have been to hear for the demon prince. This was his clan, his family, his responsibility.

“Sorry Koga.” She gave him an apologetic look.

“Wh-whats new with you guys?” She asked, trying to turn the conversation around.

This caused the slayer to blush deeply.

“Well, we are having houses built.” Her voice was small, full of embarrassment.

“What!”

“Yes, the village believes that we keep its inhabitants safe. Supposedly, the number of demon attacks has decreased now that they know a force such as ourselves frequently take shelter here. They wished to secure a spot for us once we defeat Naraku.”

“That's amazing! Even… Even Inuyasha? He wishes to stay?”

“Yes, he too is having one made. He seems beside himself. He never thought that the people here would embrace him.”

“Honestly, I think it was Kaedes doing. We spend so much time in her hut she never has a moment of silence.” Sango muttered.

“How many are being constructed?”

“Two. Sango will continue to stay with Kaede if a chaperone is unavailable, that is, until we wed.” Miroku said arrogantly, placing an arm around the slayer. She seemed to shrink under his contact, her face flushed.

“Wow guys, I couldn't be happier for you!”

~.~

The hanyou watched in silence. She really was here. Making pleasant talk with his friends…

And that bastard wolf.

He was so close to her he felt murderous. Yet all he could do was watch from a distance.

It explained so much. Why the smell of her was always so strong once he regained his demon senses. He assumed it was due to the dulling of them the closer the new moon came. And once the sun rose and his ears reappeared, along with the rest of his demon traits, he simply figured his nose was more sensitive. No wonder he had smelled her so strongly.

She had just been here.

And Hiro? Who the fuck was Hiro? Why was he pursuing her? Was she accepting it? Koga telling her that she was his woman. Fuck that! Kagome was HIS. Just as he felt the courage to approach, he noticed that they were cleaning the area. Was the visit already over? It was too short, in just a few hours he would return to be a demon again and-

That was it.

She came on this night so he couldn't find her. Couldn't smell her. He grinned widely, a fang hanging over his bottom lip.

What an annoying woman he loved.

He watched in horror as she walked to the well. She gave everyone bitter sweet goodbyes and prolonged hugs. It was then he heard the wolf speak.

“Kagome. I came here determined to make you my woman-“

“Uhhhh, Koga….” Kagome waved her hands in front of her trying to get the demon to drop the subject.

“But Im sorry, Kagome. After hearing that you live in the future… and that there are no wolf demons… I think it is a sign. I have to repopulate ad rebuild the wolf clan! If… if I mated you, the pups we would not have what it takes to carry on my packs legacy to your time. Im sorry Kagome, but its my duty and resonsibilty as the alpha to mate with another wolf demon.”

He took her hand in his and squeeed tightly.

“K…Koga… please… I understand…”

He lookd up at her with tear brimmed eyes. He brought the back of her hand of his lips and kissed it gently.

“No matter what Kagome, I will always love you. You will always be the woman for me.” He abruptly let go of her hands and drew her into a tight hug.

“Damn it! I should just give up this position. Kagome I-“

“Koga. You know what you have to do. I want you to be happy, and I'm sure Ayame will be a wonderful mate. I bet for sure you will strengthn your pack. I know what it means to sacrifice for the ones you love. You have my blessing.” She gave him a happy smile before leaning down to scoop up the kit.

“Oh Shippo,” the girl cooed as she brought him closer to her. “I can't wait for this month to fly by so I can see you again!”

“You promise you will come Kagome?” He asked with doubting eyes. She pressed a kiss to his forehead.

“Of course! Oh, and here-“ She pulled out another small stuffed animal from her bag. “I've had this one in my room for about a year now. I think the smell should cling on longer than the one I gave you last month.”

“Thanks Kagome!”

Inuyasha watched as she waved good bye and smiled over her shoulder. Then, as quickly as she had appeared, she jump into the well and was gone. Koga looked down in fascination.

“…She really is gone…” He stammered.

“It's always feels so empty when she leaves.” Sango said.

“Yes, Lady Kagome does have a unique energy.” Miroku added.

“I wish she was here all the time!” the kit said, squeezing the toy closer to him.

“I can't believe-“Koga had started.

Inuyasha walked in front of them, eyes cold and deadly.

“I can't believe you didn't fucking tell me.”