Fan Fiction ❯ ShadowBaby ❯ Hidden Feelings Revealed, Enter Melissa ( Chapter 13 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
~*Disclaimer-Mona is not mine. Mona belongs to Mona. Shinu was the one who told me about her and I would also like to acknowledge her. Mona is indeed a real ghost who actually haunts a theater.*~

Anna tossed an turned as her dreams went from utter bliss to disturbing and horrifying. It all seemed so right at first. Her and John were finally drawing their journey to a close. He got his body back and was living up his promises he had made. Everything seemed so perfect, but then her vision went black. John was no longer sweeping her off her feet and telling her how much he loved her. He was now standing beside some other girl. Anna called out to him, but he seemed like he couldn’t hear her. She called out again. This time the other girl turned her head towards Anna and glared directly at her. In a second notice she was hovering above Anna. ‘This girl,’ Anna thought, ‘I know her from somewhere.’
“Listen to me,” the girl said, “John doesn’t love you. He still loves me, not you.”
“No,” Anna muttered, “no, you’re wrong. He does love me.”
“I never heard him tell you so last night when he found out you loved him.” she snapped, “I only heard him tease you about it and rant about how much you loved him. Not once did he conform that he liked you, and you know why? Because he doesn’t love you. You are just another one of those love stricken ghosts that he hangs out with all the time.”
“No,” Anna cried, “no, it’s not true. He does, I know he does.”
“Then ask him,” the girl spat, “ask him, study him, and see for yourself. The only reason why he looks at you with those eyes is because of me! Even in death our hearts yearn for one another.”
“No,” Anna cried, “shut up, just shut up.”
The other girl glared at Anna.
“Melissa,” John called out, “Melissa!”
Anna’s head shot up and she panted, “Melissa, your Melissa.” Her head turned towards the image of John that was panting. He reached out for Melissa and shouted, “Why, why Melissa. I love you!”
Anna shot up in her bed. Sweat drenched her sheets as she glanced around the room. Her pants soon halted when she saw John sitting beside her. His eyes were closed, but he was still generating a barrier around the two of them. Anna reached out and let her fingers faze through his tainted aura.
John stirred and opened up his eyes. A yawn somehow crept up and erupted the eerie silence the two of them had between each other. “What is it?” John asked as he placed his hands behind his neck.
“I had a dream,” Anna muttered.
“Is that all?” John asked with a scornful look, “I thought it was something important.”
“It was about you.” Anna muttered.
One of John’s eyes slightly opened up out of curiosity. “Well,” he asked, “was it that Paris dream again?”
Anna shook her head no and said, “It was about you and Melissa.”
This time both of his eyes shot open. “What about,” he asked nervously.
“You said you loved her,” Anna choked.
John hesitated before he said, “I did, at one point.”
“You still do,” Anna muttered before she hugged her knees against her chest, “I can tell.”
John sat up straight, he refused to look at Anna.
“I knew it,” Anna spat, “you don’t love me, you love Melissa.”
John sighed, “I don’t know.”
“What do you mean you don’t know!” Anna shouted.
“I don’t know!” John snapped, “Yes I loved Melissa at one point, and I still do! Even though she…”
“Killed you.” Anna whispered.
John shook his head yes. “My feelings are a strange mix. I thought I hated her, but seeing her alive in you…made me realize I still loved her.”
“So when you look at me all you see is her?” Anna asked with tears on the verge of falling.
“In some ways,” John stated, “but in others you are different. You have her attitude, I will give you that, but you’re not as stubborn as she was.” John laughed as he began to remember his first love.
The year was 1863. The southern charm rang supreme in the south. It was at a masquerade ball in the Hilton Estate that he first laid eyes on her. She was the heiress of Monsiure Joaquin Hilton. The ballroom dress she wore was the talk of the ball. It was a long frilly peach white dress, with silky smooth lace around each collar. Her mask consisted of a creamy peach color with jewels plastered along the top outer rim. White lacy boots comforted her feet as she made her way down the stairs.
John was busy flirting with the maids. His outfit was a wrinkled brown vest with a clean pressed black jacket. To complete his ensemble he wore plain black cotton pants with shiny black dress shoes. His mask was a simple black one that covered half of his face (think Phantom of the Opera style). When he first laid eyes on her he thought he was going to faint. She was an angel. She was his angel. He would never forget the moment they met out on the dance floor. He had dropped something onto the dance floor, and when he reached down to pick it up he heard footsteps walking up from in front of him. When he raised back up he noticed that the mysterious beauty was now standing in front of him, smiling.
“I hope you are enjoying yourself,” she sweetly said as she gave a small curtsey.
“Very much,” John said with a smile.
“I’m glad someone is. I find my father’s parties awfully dull.” she whispered.
“Oh really,” John asked as his smile brightened, “maybe I can change that point of view.”
Melissa slightly blushed as she glanced down at the floor. “I don’t think you can.”
“Just try me,” John challenged as he grabbed her hands and began to waltz with her around the room.
Melissa giggled every now and then. “You win this round, monsieur,” Melissa laughed as he began to do the fox trot.
“It is unjustly for a young lady like you to be so mysterious to someone who can make them laugh. Tell me young lady, what is your name?”
Melissa giggled before she said, “My name is Melissa, and who might I ask is my savior from boredom?”
“John,” John answered, “John Spelling.”
They danced for a little whiles longer before the end of the masquerade came to a halt.
“Now,” A random man yelled, “it is time for the ceremonial kiss from your dancing partner and then the revealing of their faces.
John gave Melissa a quick peck on her forehead before he took off his mask. Melissa followed in pursuit and said, “I will have to keep my eye out for you, monsieur.”
“And I you,” John whispered. The day came to an end and they said their farewells. “Till next time mademoiselle,” John said with a deep gruff voice.
“I’ll be counting the days,” Melissa giggled as she waved him farewell with her handkerchief. That was a glorious day for him. It led to many more visits in the dead of night that led to untold passion. Their love was a forbidden secret, and it led to the saddest ending. Love turned sour and soon it was betrayal. Betrayal led to heartbreak and unwanted pain. Oh how he wished he could go back in time and relive the moments they had.
“John,” Anna whispered as she looked deeply into his eyes, “John I asked you a question.”
“Huh,” John asked as he snapped out of his daze.
“Why did Melissa betray you?” Anna asked again.
John glanced away and muttered, “We were to different. I was pure evil and she, she was an angel reincarnated.”
“Did she ever…did you two ever…” Anna stuttered.
“Yes,” John muttered, “many times in the dead of night. We planed on having a family, but alas no matter how hard we tried…she couldn’t handle the burden.”
“I’m so sorry.” Anna whispered.
“Don’t be,” John whispered back, “that was then. I have no regrets on anything I have ever done to her, or her people.”
“What do you mean?” Anna asked.
“Her family was a respectable bunch of wealthy southerners. They were also some of the best psychics I have ever laid eyes on. When her father figured out what I was he exposed me to the town as being a messenger of the devil. I in turn exposed him when the villagers went after me.”
“I don’t understand,” Anna muttered.
“Being a psychic back then…was considered blasphemy. They were also thought of as the devil’s henchmen. So when I exposed him…they also went after him. Melissa stood up to the crowd and put up a barrier around them, thus exposing her as being a psychic. I attacked the village out of rage and that’s when…Melissa attacked me.”
“John,” Anna murmured, “what Melissa did, are you sure she betrayed you?”
“Of course she did!” John shouted, “I was only seeking my revenge on those blasted humans. Then she came out of the blue and jumped me. I mean, I was doing them all a favor.”
“John,” Anna whispered, “if Melissa was anything like me…then I would have done the same.”
John glared at Anna and growled, “Explain.”
“Well,” Anna stuttered, “even though Bob would slap me around and threaten to throw me out…I obeyed him and would never try to hurt him. Even if he deserved to die, I wouldn’t have attacked him. It’s called compaction, a thing I don’t expect you to understand.”
“That’s why I never understand you HUMANS,” John yelled, “if someone had treated me like they had treated you, I would have sliced their throat open and beg for death.”
“See,” Anna huffed, “it’s always shoot first ask questions later with you. For once can’t you put yourself in someone else’s shoes and realize that killing someone doesn’t solve anything.”
“Explain,” John demanded.
“Well,” Anna pondered, “it’s like you’re living on the lamb for a crime you committed a long time ago, ok. Then a cop happens to see you and you start to panic. Now would you say killing that cop will help you from escaping your jail time?”
John nodded his head and said, “Well of course it would.”
“See that’s where you’re wrong,” Anna stated, “it would only put you in a far deeper hole. Let’s say you did kill him, ok. Well then you would be charged with his death along with your other charges. Now does it make sense to add on to your already existing charges?”
John looked like he was going to explode. “First of all,” he snapped, “I would never let myself get caught by someone as pathetic as a simple minded law official. Second of all, I wouldn’t care if they added another notch in their bingo book for me.”
“Well,” Anna stuttered, “just picture yourself as a simple minded worthless human being…now what would you chose?”
John calmed down and scoffed, “Me a human, don’t make me laugh.”
“Well,” Anna stated, “technically you are. After all you’re using my body as a vessel, so therefore you are me. Oh and guess what, I’m a human.”
“Really,” John asked sarcastically, “I thought you were a bear.”
“Ha, ha,” Anna laughed sarcastically, “you’re a regular Jay Leno.”
“Well I try,” John stated as he hovered towards the door.
“Wait,” Anna asked, “where are you going?”
“I’m going to find Andrea,” John muttered as he left.
Anna sighed with defeat as she grabbed the remote controller and turned on their small hotel TV.
Meanwhile John was busy running down the halls looking for Andrea. He passed by many humans that were also checking into the dinky hotel. Some of which shivered as he fazed through them. A slight smirk crossed his lips as he saw one rather large lady collapse on the ground. It appeared that he had made her faint. To avoid any sudden publicity though, he fazed in and out of the walls. Avoiding people was harder then it looked. After a series of fazes he found himself at the main entrance where Andrea was talking to some fellow follower. He was dressed in a simple grey tux with matching grey pants. His shoes were large brown brogans and he appeared to be at least eighty. It was a simple Sunday getup that you would wear.
“But,” he insisted.
“Listen,” Andrea said, “it’s his royal majesties orders. No one may see him until they talk to me first.”
“But,” he persisted.
“If it’s important,” Andrea reassured, “then I will be sure to tell master John once he is free. Now run along and I will contact you after I’m done with the others.”
“But,” he stuttered, “my lady requested his appearance immediately. She said post haste. If I don’t bring him back with me…she’ll have my head.”
“Well I’m very sorry,” Andrea said with a frown, “but as you can see I have many other clients lined up. I urge you to just be patient. My master will accompany you when he can.”
“You don’t understand,” the old man stuttered, “she’s quite demanding. If I don’t bring him back, then she will not only have my head, but yours as well.”
“I highly doubt that,” Andrea said with a smile, “I am master John’s trusted advisor. He would never let anything happen to me.”
“I understand, but not even master John could protect you from my lady’s wrath. She’s a poltergeist who’s wrath knows no end.”
Andrea was about to argue with him again, but John decided to step in. “Andrea,” he laughed, “what kind of hostess are you?”
“Master,” Andrea stuttered, “I was just telling him you were not to be disturbed.”
John put his hand up to silence her. “I heard every word.” he laughed as he peered over at the scrawny old man.
“My liege,” the old man said with a bow, “I was ordered by my lady to escort you back to her. She is in dire need of your help.”
“Alas,” John stated, “everyone else it too. What makes your lady so important?”
“She,” the old man stuttered, “said that her love of the arts was important.”
“I see,” John said, “what exactly is your lady’s name, and what is her problem.”
“She begged me not to mention her name,” he stuttered, “but I can tell you her plight. Her theater is about to be shut down. They want to build some sort of mini mall above it. My lady finds that unfitting of her features. You see my lord, she is addicted to the arts of literature. In fact you might even say she owns that building. It is her home, and she would be lost without it.”
“I see,” John muttered, “how far away is this theater?”
“It’s only a few blocks down,” the man assured, “and she begs of you to come immediately.”
“Well,” John muttered again, “my vessel is weary and requires rest. If your lady can wait, I can make an appearance later on.”
“I’m so relived,” the old man sighed, “my lady will be pleased, but I insist on not returning without you. I don’t mind waiting for your vessel to gather her strength. I advice you to do the same. My lady is, how you say in this day and age, a diva.”
“My lord,” Andrea interjected, “what about the other clients? They have been waiting as well.”
John glanced over and said, “I will attend to them now. Take note Andrea, I will see no one else today. While Anna rests I will attend to the rest. Then, when Anna is ready, we will make our way to the theater.”
“Very good, my lord,” Andrea said as she floated outside.
“It would mean a great deal to me,” John said, “if you would watch over my vessel while I’m away.”
The old man nodded and said, “I would be honored to protect the chosen one.”
John gave the old man a victory smirk before he followed after Andrea. Then old man floated down the halls and fazed into Anna’s room. Only Anna was nowhere to be found. The old man began to panic. That’s when a flushing sound was heard. He sighed with relief. ‘She only needed to pee,’ he thought.
Anna opened the bathroom door and re-entered her comfortable hotel room. A curious glance went up to the old man, but soon she shrugged it off and plopped down upon her bed. “So who are you,” she asked as her eyes became glued to the small TV.
“I’m,” he stuttered, “a humble follower of lord John. My name is Cleo.”
“Nice name,” Anna said as her fingers began to tap the bed. She glanced up and noticed that Cleo was fidgeting around with fear.
“Do I bore you?” he asked.
Anna smiled lovingly and said, “No, I’m just not having a good day.”
“I can relate,” Cleo muttered, “my lady has been on edge all day and it seems she has a fondness of taking her anger out on me.”
Anna looked puzzled.
“Oh no,” Cleo gasped, “I shouldn’t bore you on my life. You have far better things to talk about then I do.”
Anna laughed, “You needn’t be afraid of me. I’m nothing like John.”
The old man sighed with relief and said, “Even so, my existents is meager compared to your’s. You are the chosen one, the vessel of my lord.”
“Don’t do that,” Anna muttered, “I hate it when people give me the royal treatment. I’m no different then you. So quit acting like a frightened puppy.”
“Yes my lord,” he stuttered.
Anna sighed, “Come and sit down, you look awfully disfigured.”
“I am on edge,” the man said, “my lady is about to lose her theater. She has taken all her rage out on me. I’m sorry I’m so disorientated today.”
“No need to apologize,” Anna said, “your wife has no right to take her anger out on you.”
“My wife,” the old man gasped, “no, no Lady Mona isn’t my wife.” He gasped afterwards and muttered, “Oh no, I said her name.”
“Uhhh,” Anna stuttered, “who’s Mona?”
The old man gasped, “Please, don’t tell master John her name. She demanded me not to mention it. If master John finds out he’ll…just keep it a secret ok?”
Anna looked perplexed. “Only if you tell me who she is.”
The man looked paranoid. “Alright,” he said, “master John commands the damned right? Well Lady Mona isn’t just a normal follower. She is by far the only spirit that doesn’t follow master John.”
“What,” Anna gasped, “there are ghosts that not even John can control?”
“Yes,” the old man said, “but only if they are related. You see my lady is John’s sister.”
“WHAT!” Anna screamed.
“It’s complicated,” the old man said, “they are only half siblings. Master John’s mother is also my lady’s mother. Lady Mona’s father though was a human. When Mona was born, Eris disowned her and the father was left to raise her. He was a fan of the theater and wrote many plays. My lady grew up in theaters and she also took a fondness of them. The theater she inhabits is her prized possession. Before she died, she use to perform many plays in it and she even lived in it.”
Anna was still in shock. “John, Mona,” she stuttered.
“Shhh,” the old man said, “not a word.”
Anna nodded, but inside her head she was shouting, ‘Oh my God, John has a sister…and she’s not a demon?!’
Later that night Anna found herself getting dressed. John had told her that they were visiting a neighboring theater to help out a fellow follower, but Anna knew exactly who it was. She decided to wear something appropriate, since it was her crush’s sister. John on the other hand was telling her she didn’t have to get all formal for a client. Anna ignored him though. Sometimes she would snicker behind his back. The old man would in turn get nervous. When she was done getting dressed, she began to brush her hair. John would start to complain about how long she was taking. When Anna was done she grabbed her motorcycle helmet and keys. Andrea had some business to attend to and could not attend.
The drive was short, but the scenery was amazing. When they reached the theater even John stared in awe. As it turns out, John loved the theatrical performances and use to attend many plays. The fairly large building had Georgian style pillars and it looked like it was built during the Victorian period. A few Christian statues overshadowed the entrance. The doors were torn from their hinges. It appeared to be abandoned for quite some time.
“Well,” John asked, “where is this lady of yours?”
“I’m right here,” a elegant voice said.
Both John and Anna whipped their heads around and saw the young female ghost.
She looked to be in her late twenties. Her outfit looked like it dated back to the nineteenth century too. It consisted of a long silky robe with black roses trailing down her left thigh. The collars on it were white and lacy. There was no frills to this dress though, like many of the other nineteenth century dresses Anna had seen.
John’s eyes literally bulged out of his head. “Mona,” he stammered.
“Why hello,” Mona stated, “big brother.”
Anna glanced back and forth towards the two.
Mona happen to glance over at Anna. Her eyes examined her thoroughly. “So this is your host huh?” Mona asked, “She seems a bit scrawny in my opinion.”
John was still gasping. “What are,” John stuttered, “you, doing here?”
“Isn’t it obvious,” Mona asked, “I’m the one who called for help. Though I hate to admit it, I need your help dear brother.”
John scowled and asked, “I take it you know my story, but what’s yours?”
Mona smiled and said, “I died doing what I loved. My passion ironically killed me.”
John smirked and asked, “Why do you need my help?”
“Well normally I wouldn’t,” Mona said, “but the people who want to tare down my beloved theater…they hired a psychic.”
Anna took a step back.
“I’ve never had experience with a psychic before, and I know you have…so…will you help your dear old sister out?”
John sighed with annoyance, “Damn it Mona, I already have a truckload of psychics after me already. Do you think I want to add one more?”
Mona scowled as she snapped, “You mean you wouldn’t help out your poor old sister? What kind of brother are you?”
“It’s not that,” John snapped, “it’s just that…do you know how much trouble we’ve been through?”
“I take it’s a great deal,” Mona snapped, “but do you know what will happen to me if they tear down my poor baby?”
“You’ll become rash and hunt them down,” John muttered as he glanced away.
“I’ll be left with nothing,” Mona snapped, “nowhere to go or turn to. If that happens, so help me John I will accompany you and your host on your quest.”
John flinched before he stuttered, “Huh.”
“That’s right,” Mona stated, “after all blood is thicker then water.”
John sighed with annoyance before he said, “Fine I’ll help you out, but you owe me.”
Mona smiled with victory as she though, ’Worked like a charm.’
Anna, Cleo, John, and Mona all walked into the theater building. It was covered in cobwebs and dust. Anna sneezed twice and screamed a number of times when she saw spiders.
“Your host is quite fearless,” Mona mocked.
Both John and Anna glared at her as she led them up a stairway. The came across a stage later. This is where Mona stopped and began to recite several plays she consisted in. Anna became fascinated by them. Soon they were all journeying on a trip down memory lane. On several stories Mona would act out the parts herself. Cleo would pitch in and assist her whenever need be. John seemed to enjoy the small play, although his face said otherwise.
“The end,” Mona chirped as she jumped off the stage.
“Bravo,” Anna shouted as she clapped her hands.
“You have an exquisite taste in fine art my dear,” Mona said as she sat down next to her.
“Well I’ve always been interested in the artistic path,” Anna said with a blush.
“She likes to draw,” John snapped over his shoulder.
“Fascinating,” Mona gasped as she studied Anna some more, “what else do you do?”
“Well,” Anna stuttered.
“She writes stories too,” John shouted again.
Mona glared up at him, but she looked even more fascinated then before. “What kind of stories,” Mona asked.
“Mainly dramatic ones,” Anna said, “but lately I’ve been into the paranormal stuff.”
“She’s writing about ghosts.” John shouted yet again.
“Jonathan Alexander Spelling,” Mona snapped, “shut your blasted mouth up. I’m not talking to you am I?”
“You’re talking to my host, therefore you are talking to me,” John snapped back as he floated beside them.
“Don’t make me smack you.” Mona warned.
John shut up and turned his gaze toward something else.
“Well,” Anna stuttered, “I take a lot of pictures while I’m traveling.”
Mona smile sweetly and asked, “Where are you from?”
“A hell of a ways form here.” John muttered.
Mona glared at him.
“He’s right though,” Anna said, “we’ve traveled practically from the other side of Tennessee.”
Mona laughed, “That’s nothing. I use to travel all over the US back in the day.”
“Wow,” Anna gasped.
“Yep,” Mona said, “you name it, I’ve been there.” She was about to go into full detail about her travels when suddenly a loud banging sound was heard.
“What was that,” Anna asked.
John smiled wickedly as he said, “Showtime.”