Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Feel Me, Shame Me, Heal Me ❯ She's His Exception ( Chapter 4 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: What makes you think I could possibly own this? Just where are you getting your information? honestly!
 
Summary: Winry determined to find the Elric brothers, headed to Central. Life is definitely full of surprises, and she certainly didn't expect this one.
Feel Me, Shame Me, Heal Me
Episode 4—She's His Exception
It was a beautiful morning. The sun was shining brightly and the birds were singing which brought a small smile to her face while she sat there listening and working. She was currently sitting in the workshop she was renting, in her usual getup of her black tube top, purple mechanic suit with its arms tied around her waist revealing a firm tummy. Her blonde hair was kept back and out of her face by her pink head-wrap. She was putting in a last screw in an arm she had been making for a recent customer who was coming by around ten to retrieve his arm.
She got up to stretch her legs. Pulling her arms behind her back, Winry worked the kinks out of her back. She headed outside, just as the man across the street was making his way over. That man looked positively bitter and Winry inwardly grinned. She was his competition. “Donald Crane, what brings you over here?”
“You've gotta a lot of nerve, Rockbell, setting up shop across from me. You're taking my business. You managed to snag a lot of my most trusted customers.”
Winry crossed her arms over her breasts, “Maybe you shouldn't be creating such shoddy Automail that keep your customers coming back sooner than they should.” `Unlike my Edward,who manages to smash his to smithereens.'
“What did you say about my products?” Donald seethed, and curled his hand into a tight fist.
“You heard me.” Winry said with a tilt of her chin. “I saw that crap you managed to put on Mr. Augusta, I'm surprised it even lasted a week. You had all the wrong screws in and the fit to his shoulder was too loose.” She snickered, “Or is that your plan to keep bringing in the business which indeed would make you lots of money. Your first priority should be to those who need you, not to your purse.”
“Of all the insulting and rude things to come out of your mouth, have you any idea how much it is to live in the damn city? A guy's gotta make cash to live.” Donald growled
“If it's so terrible for you, then move.”
 
“You'd like that wouldn't you.” Donald turned his back on her, but he turned his head glaring at her over his shoulder. “I won't be out-done by a little girl! This ain't over, Rockbell. We'll just see who the best Automail technician in town is, and you can bet it won't be you.”
 
“Take pride in your work, Crane, and then maybe you will be.”
 
Donald grumbled and headed back to his own shop, he was going to mark all sales half off today, that would beat out that nasty little girl.
 
Winry rolled her eyes and headed back inside her shop to her work table, the bell on the door jingled and she turned her head, seeing her customer… Raine Agusta, he was a little on the heavy side, with a trimmed beard and a head of blonde hair. There was a smile on his face.
 
“Good morning.” He said with that same cheerful smile.
 
Winry returned that gesture with a smile of her own, “Mr. Agusta, you're just in time.”
 
“Splendid.” Agusta clapped his left hand against his leg.
 
Reaching for the arm on the workbench she spun around with a smile on her face, and she saw the man's eyes light up. “Well here it is. I made a few adjustments to it. It should fit much nicer now. Also there was a problem that you might not have noticed right away. It seemed that there was a slight delayed reaction in one of the fingers. I found that the wire was fraying so I took the liberty in repairing that, no extra charge.”
 
“No extra charge? But this is your hard work, you deserve compensation.” Agusta saw her mouth open to protest but he waved his hand in the air. “Nonsense, young lady, I shall pay you accordingly.”
 
Winry smiled and gestured to the back room, “How about we attach this arm now?”
 
“Sounds ideal.” Agusta grinned and followed her to the back where she would attach the arm. He remembered when he lost his arm in that mining accident, when his other Automail technician was attaching his nerves to wires. How painful that was, he almost couldn't stand it. Good thing that wouldn't be happening again. He jumped up onto the table and the girl went to work on attaching his arm, it wasn't too difficult, but he wanted to see how her attachments work. She was a bright young thing, but needed to learn a lot about living in this world, especially if she was living on her own...
 
Agusta moved his new mechanical arm, it felt so good. “This is excellent work, Miss Rockbell. You sure have a talent for this.”
 
Winry shrugged with a smile, “I love taking things apart and putting them back together.”
 
Agusta paid her and then was on his way, he opened the door just as a young man with chestnut hair walked up with a woman who looked similar. Winry leaned against her desk and smiled when Travin came inside.
 
“Winry,” Travin shook his finger at her, “Just where have you been hiding?” He said with a grin. “It's been at least a week since I've seen you.” His emerald gaze rested on her breasts that were wrapped in that black cloth. If all female Automail mechanics wore that…well he'd most likely be a customer on purpose.
 
`It's been longer than that.' Winry thought to herself as she stood straighter, “Yeah, sorry about that. I've been busy.” She picked up her wrench on her work bench and turned away from him, to put it away.
 
“I think the last time I saw you, it was at the restaurant. Remember, it was the night I accidentally got you drunk and that…whoever that was dragged you out. Did that person end up taking you home?” Winry's wrench dropped sharply from her hand and clanked loudly against the table. “Winry, is everything all right?”
 
She turned back around facing him, “Uh yeah, of course.” Her smile was forced. Winry had been trying not to think about the incidents involving Mustang, her mind wouldn't listen and she found her thoughts drifting to… mouth feathered over hers and he heard her quick intake of air. She squeezed her hands tighter and tried to shift back as this soft and gentle touch shocked her. Is that how that was supposed to feel? ... Winry shut her eyes tight, trying to squeeze the memory from her mind or at least block it out. It was no use… gasped and he took complete advantage of it by thrusting his tongue deep into her mouth, sliding and moving against hers, coaxing a response… Her right hand came up and gripped the upper arm sleeve of his uniform in her now curled hand and she moaned as he bent her back slightly… No! Stop! Winry inwardly growled, demanding herself to stop thinking about it! She hated him! She should not be thinking about this!
 
“Was that man a friend of yours?”
 
“Absolutely not.” Winry snapped bitterly, and wrapped her arms around herself. “He's a high ranking military person who thinks he's humanity's gift to Alchemy. I hate his stupid guts and his stupid face.”
 
Travin arched a brow, “Is that so? Well his loss then.” He was pleased with that bit of information. He gestured to the woman next to him who was looking around the workshop in discomfort. “I wanted to introduce you to my sister Aurora.”
 
Winry wiped her hand on a towel and stepped forward, holding it out to her. “I'm Winry Rockbell. It's nice to meet you.” She saw the dark haired beauty look at the offered hand a little unsure, before lightly taking Winry's fingers and giving her hand a small shake.
 
Aurora smiled, but it appeared forced. “Likewise,” once her bronze hand was released she quickly let it drop to her side where she wiped her palm on her dress. Aurora did not like how dirty this place was. It smelled of grease and metal, it wasn't exactly a smell fit for a lady. She looked the blonde mechanic up and down, and Aurora was a little upset that the girl's breasts appeared larger than her own. This Winry was shorter so Aurora at least excelled against her in that area. “Do you work here alone, Miss Rockbell?”
 
Taking a deep breath and moving a step back from Aurora, Winry nodded. “Yeah, I could probably use an assistant or something. I used to work with my grandmother back in Resembool.”
 
“Oh,” Aurora smiled, “I think we passed through that rural town once. We never stay long in an area. My family of traveling musicians, we're always spanning the globe, always on the move. We're kind of like gypsies I guess.” She crinkled her nose, “Does it always smell like this in here. And you look a right mess.” Aurora pointed to Winry's appearance.
 
Winry's brow furrowed as her fingertips felt around her collarbone and finding there a bit of black grease that she tried rubbing off. She didn't know why, but this Aurora was making her very self conscious and Winry had always felt that she was never one to worry about appearances. “Well, I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty.”
 
“Tell me, do you get a lot of gentlemen callers?” Aurora asked with a smile and she saw the girl's face heat. “Because I can fix it up so you'd have to beat the off with a stick. Like with your hair, and skin.”
 
Thrusting his tongue deep into her mouth, sliding and moving against hers, coaxing a response… Taking a deep breath and thinning her lips, Winry kept in the annoyed sound that was threatening. “No I don't, and I don't care to either.” `Especially, by arrogant Colonels.'
 
Travin grinned, “Yeah, she's waiting for her boyfriend. He probably doesn't mind the mechanical smell.”
 
If Winry's face wasn't red enough already, it just brightened even more. “Hey, just because I'm not some kind of girly-girl, doesn't mean I'm not happy with how I look and who I am. Edward and Alphonse don't mind that I may end up covered head to toe in grease. Not that I care to impress anyone, or would change to suit anyone's tastes.”
 
Aurora's jaw dropped at the outburst. “My, my, don't we have a short fuse.” She was sarcastic.
 
“Well wouldn't you if some stranger just came in here and started criticizing everything?” Winry defended.
 
Travin shrugged, “Well I don't mind the smell, it makes you seem more real and not fake like some of the girls in this city are. More should be proud to show a little realistic sense in their appearance and what they do. After all, all the realness comes out after you gals get married, right? Why not be honest from the get go?”
 
Winry knew he didn't mean to make that sound like an insult, so she tried not to take it as one. “Well I do shower before I go out. This is just what a girl working with Automail would smell like. Plus I love it. It gets the blood flowing and you just can't help but take things apart and work your fingers…” She took a deep breath and felt the overwhelming desire rush through her.
 
“I prefer the scent of lilacs myself.” Aurora replied with smirk, “I always make sure I smell so pretty that the men can't resist me.”
 
“There's more to life than just boys you know.”
 
Aurora laughed, “Maybe for someone like you. I mean you're so common looking. No man would ever really look twice at you, so plain. You obviously don't wear anything to accent your face.”
 
Winry's eyes narrowed, “Pointless primping, who needs it?” She turned her back on Aurora and Travin. One of the many things she had never got to experience with her mother. This Aurora probably did. She could just imagine all the laughter about cosmetics and jewelry Aurora made with her mother, the dressing up to go out. `I'm not plain, I'm not.' She stared down at the table, curling her fingers slightly. `Just because I don't look like her, doesn't mean I'm plain.'
 
“My mother always said to look your best. She knew just the right thing to wear and we would experiment all day in dress shops.” Aurora replied with pride in her voice.
 
Winry felt her heart tear and she closed her eyes tight, “Can you…please leave.”
 
Travin glared at his sister, “Look what you've done, Aurora, you upset her.” He stepped closer to Winry and placed his palm on her back, he silently sighed at the feel of her smooth, skin beneath his fingertips. “I'm sorry about my sister. She can be a little rude.”
 
Aurora grunted, “Well then, I'm certainly not going to stay around where I'm not wanted.” She threw her nose in the air and spun on her heel, heading for the door.
 
The bell on the door jingled, indicating that Aurora left. Travin, reaching around, softly gripped Winry by the shoulders and turned her to face him. “Please don't judge my sister too harshly; she's always been a little spoiled.”
 
“I'm not upset about what she said.” Winry lied, it did bother her some that she was called plain, but that's not what really made her feel bad. “It's not really her fault that she caused me to be unhappy.” She shook herself out of Travin's hold and took a step back from him. “She's actually been pretty lucky, to have a mother that would teach her those little things. I never got to experience those things with mine, because….because mine…” `was murdered!' “…died when I was a little girl.”
 
“I'm sorry.” Travin said sympathetically.
 
Winry waved it off and smiled through her grief. “I just start thinking about all the things I never got to do with my mother who was unfairly taken from me.” She went to the small closet and got out a broom to sweep the floor of metal pieces and wires. Winry would rather busy herself with work, than think on a past that could never change.
 
“Do you need help cleaning up?” Travin asked with a polite smile.
 
****
 
At Military Headquarters, there was a knock on his door, and Roy lifted his head from his desk. He yawned and opened and closed his eyes a few times. He heard Maes' voice on the other side. The door opened and the man came through with his hand lifted in greeting.
 
“Oi, Roy! This came for you.” Maes walked to the desk and dropped the papers and envelopes onto the desktop. “It's from Edward.” He said cheerfully.
 
“I see you managed to find him.” Roy said leaning back in his chair.
 
Maes grinned. “Investigations Department is top notch.” He said sitting down on the left side sofa.
 
Roy looked at the envelopes. One was for him and one had Rockbell's name written on it.
 
“Should I have a messenger send the one for Winry over to her?” Maes asked, crossing his legs, his ankle resting on his knee.
 
Inwardly smirking, Roy felt this would be a perfect opportunity to get her back here. One he knew she wouldn't be able to refuse. “Actually, send a message to her. Inform her that there is a letter for her here at HQ from Fullmetal, and that I would like to speak to her about it.”
 
“Are you sure that's wise, Roy? She doesn't exactly respect you, in fact—”
 
“I know. She hates me. That doesn't matter. Just trust that I know what I'm doing.” Roy would have to be especially careful when it came to the Rockbell girl around Maes. That man may seem a little on the silly side from time to time, but…he knew that Maes was a top investigator. That man was paid to stick his nose into peoples' business. Yes, Maes was definitely the one to watch out for.
 
****
“Ah! That felt good.” Winry said aloud to no one. She was drying her hair with a towel coming from her bathroom in her flat, wearing a black thigh length skirt and white short sleeve button up blouse.
 
After she had cleaned up the workshop she locked it up to get some lunch. She would reopen it later in the afternoon as some more parts were due to arrive then. A shower had felt great after working all morning on an order. Her new friend Travin had gone back to Antonio's to practice for later tonight.
 
Going into the small kitchenette, just as she reached up to grab a pan and boil some water, there was a knock on her door. Turning off the water tap and setting the pan on the counter she headed to the front door and opened it. A red headed man dressed in a military uniform was standing there. “Can I help you?” Winry asked, grabbing the door with her hand.
 
“Winry Rockbell?” The man asked.
 
“Yes, is something wrong?”
 
Reaching into his leather encasing that was strapped to his chest; he pulled out a note and held it out to her. “From Military Headquarters, Miss.” He waited until she took the note, then saluted and walked away.
 
Closing her door, Winry leaned up against it as she tore the little piece of tape and flipped the note open. Her heart immediately leapt reading that there was a letter for her from Edward. Her stomach started twisting as she read that she would have to go there and get it from Mustang if she wanted it. She had promised herself she wouldn't set foot in that place ever again… but there was a letter to her from Ed there! Sweat began to gather at her temples and her heart started pounding. Mustang was there and she would have to get the letter from him and he wanted to speak to her. What could she do? It seemed like he wasn't going to send the letter to her. If that were the case he would have already done it.
 
She needed that letter, badly.
 
Winry felt this was an extremely bad judgment call, but that letter…from Ed…for her…
 
 
Taking a deep breath, Winry waited as an unknown to her soldier knocked on the office door. Her heart was thundering a mile a minute as the voice she despised granted permission to enter. The door opened and the solider announced her and she was escorted inside.
 
Winry saw Mustang seated behind his desk and Lieutenant Colonel Maes Hughes was standing beside the desk who smiled with a short wave. Gathering up her courage, Winry lifted her hand with the note. “I was sent this message.”
 
Hughes looked at Winry and then back at Roy, “Well I'll let you two alone, there's probably a lot to talk about.”
 
Panic rushed Winry and she was about to protest that action, and ask Hughes to stay, but he was quick and out the door, closing it behind him. There was an uneasy silence, at least it felt uneasy to her. “In this note you said there was information about Ed?”
 
“There is.” Roy said, leaning forward, his elbows resting on his desk. “A couple of weeks ago after you left here, I wrote a few letters and sent messages out looking for him with the help of Maes and his department. In those letters, I had mentioned the fact that you were living here in Central and waiting for him.”
 
“That's rather kind of you.” She hadn't expected that he would actually put in any effort.
 
“Hold your praise, Rockbell.” Roy watched as her brow crinkled. He took the envelope that had been sitting on his desk and held it up in the air showing it off. Standing up, he approached the side of his desk, where he sat on the corner. One of his legs dangled off the edge while the other, his foot was planted firmly on the floor. Roy waved the letter in the air. “It even has your name on it.”
 
Winry eyed that letter in his hand and with determination she walked over to it, she quickly reached for it, but Mustang pulled it back out of her grasp. “Hey, give it to me.” She demanded.
 
Roy really wanted to laugh at her reaction. It was so predictable. “Uh-uh. Not so fast there. I don't do something for nothing you know. I did you a favor, now you do one for me.”
 
“What?!” Winry steamed. “I didn't know doing something nice for another came with a price.” She saw him shrug.
 
“I can just throw it away.” He made to tear the letter in half but Rockbell's hands shot forward, palms facing towards him.
 
“No, no. Don't do that.” She waved her hands wildly and he stopped from ripping the letter into two pieces. Winry knew she was going to regret what came out of her mouth, but she really wanted that letter. “What favor could I do for you? There's nothing I have that you could possibly want.”
 
A slow smirk lifted at the corner of Roy's mouth. “I wouldn't necessarily say that. There's actually quite a lot you have that I want.” He said in a seductive purr.
 
Winry's face flamed to life, “Oh no, not again. Why can't you get it through your thick skull? I don't like you.”
 
“You say that as if it's relevant. I don't care if you like me or not.” Roy, again, waved the letter in front of her face, knowing it would tempt her into agreeing. “Don't you want this? Isn't it important enough to you? It's Full—Edward's words, telling you quite possibly everything you want to know. Maybe even where to take a train that could possibly bring you to him.” He saw her taking deep breaths as she stared downward. “Of course, if you don't want it...” Roy pulled the letter away and her head snapped up.
 
She looked right at him, “What exactly do you expect of me here?” Why wouldn't her face decrease in color? “I hope you do realize that I am never having sex with you, not ever.”
 
Roy snorted in amusement and stood from his desk. He took a few steps towards her, standing directly in front of her so that he towered over her. “Never say never. I'm not going to lie and say the thought hadn't crossed my mind, it's just not what I want right now.” He saw her eyes narrow. “But if you were to agree to—”
 
“No way!” Winry snarled through clenched teeth, interrupting him. Her gaze dropped from his face to the floor. Something that had been bothering her all day, demanded her for an answer. “Can I ask you a question?”
 
“Certainly.”
 
“Do…do you think…that I'm, well, plain?”
 
That was definitely not the question Roy had been expecting. Why would she wonder about something as silly as that? “What does it matter to you what other people think?”
 
Winry didn't know why she asked him, she hated him. His opinion should mean absolutely nothing. She knew she would never look like Aurora, a dark flawless beauty. Probably someone Mustang would also go after. Maybe it did hurt a little to learn that he thought she wasn't attractive. “So, you think I'm plain.”
 
“I didn't say that.” Roy replied, gently placing his hand on her shoulder and she closed her eyes. “Don't put those words in my mouth. Everyone's opinion on physical beauty is different. And since you don't like me, it shouldn't matter to you what I thought, right?” He didn't think she was plain at all. She was fresh and vibrant like a first snow of the season. Whoever told her she was plain, that person wouldn't do well to meet up with him anytime soon.
 
Taking a deep breath and holding her head up high, “You're right, it doesn't matter.” She turned her head away. “I don't care what you or anyone else thinks. I like who I am, and how I look.”
 
He wanted to smile at her strong remark, but he didn't. Suddenly, Rockbell in a rush reached for the letter and he pulled it out of her reach at the last possible second. He was grinning, staring into her eyes. “Ah, you sneaky girl. Don't be naughty, lest you want to be punished.” Roy saw her eyes widen at his remark. “Or is that something you would enjoy?”
 
Winry was only able to squeak out a shocked response, before shutting her mouth tight and folding her arms over her breasts in irritation. “Sick.” Looking up at him, she shook her head in disgust. “Aren't there girls… oh excuse me, I mean women your own age that you'd rather manipulate? Surely you can't think of me as any prize compared to a full grown woman.” `Like Aurora.' That inner comment made her stomach faintly twist at the slight thought of Mustang hitting on Aurora. What was that reaction!? How dare she have it concerning… Aurora was more perfect for him, especially since Aurora most likely wouldn't hate him as much as she, herself did. Aurora didn't even know him, or did she?
 
“Of course there are women my own age and it doesn't take that much work, because they know what they are getting with me. It is in that where both I and the woman are—”
 
Winry groaned in her sudden discomfort, “That's enough. I don't care to hear anymore.” She crossed her arms over her breasts. “But still, you should just give me that letter from Ed without any of your ridiculous conditions and worry about ladies your own age. Don't you think this is weird? I'm fifteen years old!”
 
Roy walked back to his desk, “and normally, I wouldn't be focused on a young girl your age. But there are exceptions to every rule. You just happen to be my exception.”
 
Her eyes narrowed, “I'm not your anything. Now just give me Ed's letter, please. I need it.” She swallowed uncomfortably.
 
“How bad do you need it?” Roy asked, sitting down in his chair. “And what exactly would you do for it?”
 
Winry wanted to pretend she didn't know what he was insinuating. It was just a letter, Ed's letter, telling her where he possibly was. At least she knew he was alive. She had heard the rumors that Ed was a hero to the people, but that definitely comes at a price. What was he doing to become such a grand person? No doubt the title meant he was risking his life at every turn. Winry lifted her eyes to Mustang's. “What do you want?” `Edward, would you think badly of me? What would you say if you saw me right now?'
 
And Roy grinned.
 
======
Thanks for reading, I hope you all really enjoyed this episode and look forward to the next one.
 
Until then!
 
Ryoko Blue