Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Feel Me, Shame Me, Heal Me ❯ A Slow, Dark Terror ( Chapter 21 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: What makes you think I could possibly own this? Just where are you getting your information? honestly!
 
Summary: Winry determined to find the Elric brothers, headed to Central. Life is definitely full of surprises, and she certainly didn't expect this one.
 
Feel Me, Shame Me, Heal Me
Episode 21— A Slow, Dark Terror
 
The first star in the sky gave Roy no peace. He still hadn't heard back from anyone about Winry. He paced. Stopping in front of the window to stare out it, he was wondering why it was taking so long to find her, when in the back of his mind he knew. His heart pounded, slamming against the walls of his chest.
 
It took forty minutes to get from here to her apartment complex by walking. It wouldn't have taken Maes and Hawkeye any time at all to come across her on the street since it had been a nice day and she probably would have walked home.
 
Roy, starting to pace again, his feet felt like iron.
 
Several times he thought to leave the office and search for Winry himself, but what if she came back here and he wasn't here to see her. What if she went to his apartment? What if she… what if she… there were too many scenarios. He growled, rubbing his face with his hands then his fingers rushing back through his hair.
 
Hearing Maes' voice, Roy rushed to the doorway and looked out. His heart dropped into his feet seeing Maes shake his head and Hawkeye's expression was one of regret.
 
“We couldn't find her, Sir.” Riza said, her voice tinged with sorrow. She saw his hand trembling in anger and worry as he put it to his mouth and pushing a little. He often did that when thinking about something very seriously, except for the trembling part.
 
“Why did you stop looking?” Roy said tightly, his voice low and dangerous. He knew they tried their best; it wasn't fair that he was taking his worry and anger out on them. And he was sure they understood that. He dropped his hand from his face and turned around going back into his office.
 
“Colonel, if I hadn't of sent her home…” Riza started to say as she and Maes followed after him. She watched him staring down at the desktop. Which she knew he wasn't just staring, he was thinking and trying to come up with a new plan of action in finding where Miss Rockbell was.
 
Roy shook his head, “You couldn't have known this was going to happen, no one could have anticipated this. I just need to know that she is all right.”
 
Riza blinked, “You really do care about her, don't you, Sir?” There was a soft expression in her eyes as well as in her usually formal appearance. She noticed that he was deliberately not answering, and he turned and started to pace. “It is all right to admit it, Sir. But you should be careful, she might be after to destroy your—”
 
“No.” Roy immediately said, “She has never been out to destroy me or my reputation, Hawkeye. You jump to conclusions. Come on, you know me better than that. Do you honestly think I would let a woman use me? I really do not want to explain it, but none of her involvement with me was her fault, it was all mine.”
 
Turning on her heal, Riza started walking towards the doorway.
 
“Where are you going?” Roy asked.
 
“To find Miss Rockbell,” She said stopping in her tracks, `I also owe her a tremendous apology.' Riza felt she was partly responsible for Miss Rockbell being missing, since it was she that sent her home. She probably would have gone home with the Colonel and would have been safe. But no she had to mistrust the young girl, instead of believing that the Colonel would make an honest play for her. Riza realized that she should have known better.
 
Riza had almost approached the doorway when Havoc and Breda, who were escorting Aurora Walker who had her hands cuffed in front of her, walked through.
 
“We had gone to the Walkers' residence and only she was there.” Breda said, with a jolt of his thumb in the dark woman's direction.
 
Aurora growled, “You're going to pay for this, I'll see to it.” She threatened. “You have no right to pull me out of my home and drag me here.” She really wanted to hit them.
 
Roy wasted no time, “Where are your brother and cousins?”
 
“How should I know?” Aurora said with her eyes narrowed.
 
“She tried to run.” Havoc said, eyeing the woman suspiciously. “And she wouldn't stop complaining all the way here, about how unfair this was and how she isn't responsible for anything, even though we hadn't told her why she was being taken into custody.”
 
The sounds of rapid footsteps approached the office and Fuery and Falman rushed inside. Fuery leaning over and bracing his hands on his thighs, tried to take in rapid breaths, before standing upright.
 
“We went by the library and Scieszka hasn't been into work at all today, we figured she might know where Winry was.” Fuery said.
 
Falman nodded, “So we went to her home and neither girl was there either. Scieszka's mother said she hadn't been home all night and still hasn't come home.”
 
Every military person in the office looked at Aurora, whose eyes narrowed.
 
Pushing Walker over to one of the sofas, Havoc shoved her down into the cushions. “Have a seat.” His expression was livid.
 
“You're all going to be sorry for treating me like this!” Aurora sneered. “I hope you're all ready to pay. I know people, in high places. I'll have you all—”
 
“Miss Walker,” Hughes interrupted then cleared his throat, “Do you know where your family has taken the women that are going to be sold?”
 
Aurora looked away from them with her nose in the air. “I don't know what you're talking about.” She glanced down at her bound hands that she folded in her lap. “What makes you think I do?”
 
“You're wasting our time.” Roy's tone was hostile. They were running out of time. There was no clue anywhere in suggesting where Winry and the other missing women were being held. This woman, in a way, held all the cards and Roy was going to make her show her hand. “So if you don't want strict punishment, I suggest you be more cooperative.”
 
A sly smirk lifted at the corner of Aurora's perfect lips. “I know why you really want to know. Perhaps it finally happened and the ones responsible for the abductions snatched up your little Grease-Ball.” She laughed. “Sorry, but I can't help you. That little tart deserves whatever she gets. I hope she gets sold to some disgusting man who smells and likes to enforce pain!” She laughed wickedly.
 
This woman knew exactly what was going on.
 
And Roy was completely out of patience.
 
He reached over and snatched Hawkeye's gun from her holster in a quick move that had the mahogany eyed woman flinch as she had not been expecting that.
 
Roy took three steps to the Walker woman, “I tire of your games.” He pointed the weapon right between her eyes. His arm held straight and tense, with his right foot extended forward. “You have till I count two to tell me where the women are, or I will kill you.” He said so calmly that it was completely dangerous. Seeing the woman's eyes widen, Roy wondered if she thought he was bluffing… Maybe he was and maybe he wasn't.
 
“Sir!” Riza started for him, but Maes held her back by thrusting his arm in front of her, blocking her move. She gave him an odd look, but he was ignoring it.
 
“One!” Roy shouted furious, then pressed back the hammer and the gun made an audible clicking noise. “Tw—”
 
“—Alright!” Aurora shrieked, sweat gathering at her hairline. Seeing the dark and deadly look in the man's eyes, as well as the firm, set expression on his face, she was sure that he really would do it. “I'll tell you.”
 
****
 
“Winry?”
 
Closed eyes felt sore and heavy, as her brow furrowed in trying to open them. Hearing her name again as well as the very familiar feminine voice, Winry slowly opened them. A blurry, short brown haired girl with green eyes framed by glasses was looking worriedly back at her. Her vision cleared and she was able to see clearly, “Scieszka?”
 
Scieszka sighed, “Oh, thank goodness.” She helped Winry to sit up.
 
Glancing around, Winry found herself in a gray, stone room with only one light on, and it was hanging down from the dull gray ceiling. There was a huddle of young girls and women up against the wall. “Where am I?” She put her hand to her forehead as it all came back to her. She had been walking home and was snatched right off the street, some chemical on a cloth had been placed over her nose and mouth and she somehow lost consciousness.
 
“I don't know where we are, Winry. I woke up pretty much in the same condition as you. I've been here since last night.” Scieszka trembled, “my mother must be so worried.”
 
“Winry?” A timid voice from off to the side caused Winry to turn her head.
 
It was her! Winry's neighbor Fantine Reynolds. Her face was dirty, and her usually lovely brown curled locks were in disarray. She was alive…wait…that meant. “Oh my God! We're going to b—”
 
A large metal door swung open and banged against the wall. “Congratulations, ladies, you're all going to be sold to the highest bidder.” Laughed a voice that was also familiar, but it sounded like he had a fat lip. Lights suddenly burned on brightly in the once dark room, and Fantine ran to Winry.
 
Travin was standing there with his cousins. “The group that hired me and my family to acquire you ladies and girls will pay me quite handsomely when I deliver this stock to them to the harbor.”
 
Winry wrapped the girl who was only a year younger than herself in her protective embrace. She glared at the man who tricked her with friendship, and a slow smirk lifted at the corner of her mouth. Noticing that as he was grinning smugly that his right front tooth was missing, his bottom lip looked like it had been cut in half. There were numerous bruises on his face. “Nice dental work.”
 
Travin's eyes narrowed. “You can thank your insane boyfriend for this one.”
 
The amused smirk did not leave Winry's face, “I already did while on top of his desk.” She saw Travin's anger bristle as his face scrunched up in distaste.
 
“Make jokes while you can.” Travin's brow was arched “You won't be smiling too much when you experience your brand new life.”
 
“You're an idiot. You've been doing this for months. Any good criminal knows to get out with the goods as soon as possible. So you're just as pathetic in doing this as you were at let's say saving your tooth.” Winry insulted, knowing that Travin was very into his own appearance. She was really terrified and she needed to keep her mind off her predicament and at least she sounded confident. No one was coming to save her, because she was sure no one even knew that she was missing. So she had to try and get out of this herself.
 
Scieszka groaned, “Just what kind of money are you making on us? And all that you said to me was a lie? You just did—”
 
Travin laughed harshly. “You poor, naïve girl, I thought you were supposed to be smart. Guess your talent only applies to your memory. Of course I lied, of course I tricked you. Thanks for the great time though, who said bookworms aren't naughty.” He saw the wounded look cross her face and the girl's posture slumped a little as she stared at the stone floor. He felt empowered over it.
 
Something flew and hit him in the cheek; it stung so bad that he felt whatever it was break the skin. Travin looked down and saw a rock, a loose stone from the chipped wall.
 
Winry was breathing hard in her anger; she had kicked that rock at him. “How dare you say that about my friend, and how dare you use her as well as these other ladies and girls! You asshole!”
 
Walking right over to her, Travin lifted his curled hand to slug her in the mouth for her comments, but his wrist was grabbed tightly by his cousin Alex, and Travin turned sharply at the audacity his cousin had in stopping him from issuing punishment.
 
“Man, no, she's already got those bruises. Houser ain't gonna be happy.” Alex said glaring at Winry. “You're far too lucky, you dumb broad. If you weren't gonna be sold to a pretty important man with lotsa money, we'd have you on the floor in pain by now.”
 
“You're pathetic losers, all of you! There is no way you're going to get away with any of this. You will be caught!” Winry shouted, curling her hand into a fist that was at her side. She swung at him, but he caught her wrist in an unforgiving grip and she was twisted around and pulled into his crushing hold, her back held against his chest. Winry struggled to get free.
 
Travin laughed, “Are you really so eager to resume where we left off? Because I am more than happy to oblige.”
 
“I'd rather have a man who has all his teeth, thank you very much.” She taunted, then lifting her foot, Winry jammed it down on his, making him shriek in pain and push her roughly away as she tripped forward and almost went head first into the wall, but she lifted her hands just in time bracing her against the cold stone. Her heart continued to pound in her breast so hard that it threatened to burst from her chest. But she had to find a way to make Travin do what she wanted.
 
Winry whirled around and ran straight for him, knocking hard into him in a violent tackle sending them both to the floor. The sound of a gun going off scared the ladies in the room and they all shrieked. Winry had jolted back and covered her head as Travin rose to his feet. Oh no! They had weapons too! This whole situation was hopeless.
 
Travin dusted off his pants then walked over to his cousin Joey and grabbed the gun from him, pointing it at the ladies. “They all have one of these. So if all you ladies want pain then go ahead and attack me, see what I do!” Travin waved the weapon around and the women cowered in fear against the wall.
 
Lifting her head, Winry's blue eyes burned with hate but she did not move, she did not want anyone to get hurt.
 
“Now,” Travin barked, “Stand up in a straight line whilst we bind your hands. It's almost time to leave.” He was grinning cruelly as he watched the women and young girls move to his order and his cousins went around looping the females' hands in front of them. He walked right up to Winry as Alex was in the middle of tying her hands that were trembling in front of her. “Don't think that anyone is going to come to your rescue as only my sister knows where we are, and she'll never tell.”
 
“It's this building here.” Aurora said, as she was being led around by the military as they all had gotten out of cars and stood around the few warehouses, she was pointing to the middle one. These warehouses did not belong to the military; they were on other privately owned property for a cargo company.
 
“If you're lying…” The threat didn't finish because they all heard yelling and hurried in the direction of the noise.
 
“I told you a big truck, not this!” Travin said, smacking his cousin Terry upside the head. It was a big truck but it was rusty and it looked like it was going to fall apart, one of the back doors was lopsided and didn't really close all the way and it looked like the truck was leaning more to the left. The vehicle had even made a strange clanking noise when Terry had pulled up in it.
 
Terry coward, “I was trying to be as inconspicuous as possible!” He covered the back of his head when his cousin hit him again.
 
“This will draw attention! Look at this, it's pathetic.” Travin growled.
 
“A getaway vehicle plan is only as good as its leader who thought of it.” Winry's snide comment drifted from the line of ladies that were being hefted up into the rusty truck. “So in other words, you're just as pathetic, you're just as stupid!” She clenched her hands tightly in front of her.
 
Travin growled and stomped over to her, “You're going to pay for that remark, little one.”
 
Winry spat in his face and Travin jolted with his eyes closed, she watched him lift his hand and slowly wipe her saliva from his eye and cheek.
 
“Leave her alone, Travin, you jackass.” Scieszka snarled.
 
Travin knew that Winry was afraid when he attempted to test her body, but perhaps that was short lived. He knew the girl was fiery and boy did she have a mouth on her, insult after insult was easily thrown at people she did not like. But he had never witnessed her spitting on someone before, maybe that was true revulsion? It was worse than an insult or curse word. “You know, Winry we could have been friends, but no.”
 
“Friends!? I swear if my hands weren't bound, it'd rip you a new one!” Winry's move was swift as she lifted her leg, to kick him hard between the legs as a last tactic to try and get away, but he moved at the last moment and his fist went hard into her stomach where Winry gasped out in pain falling to her knees, clutching herself with her arms. Her eyes watered and she felt sick, heaving in deep breaths and trying not to throw up.
 
Travin spun around facing his cousins, “Just get her on the damn truck!” He pointed at Winry. “We don't have time for this.”
 
Two of his cousins grabbed Winry by the arms and hauled her to her feet. They pushed her forward, she struggled but was no match for their size and strength as they shoved her towards the truck.
 
“Travin!” Aurora's voice made everyone turn around and saw the several members of the military rushing towards them.
 
“Hurry, move it!” Travin ordered, he had noticed that Aurora did not look happy, she looked a little scared. He couldn't go back for his sister, not this time. Sure she would probably take the punishment alone.
 
Winry's head twisted around and her heart nearly leapt up into her throat at seeing Roy there. She was about to shout his name when Scieszka beat her to it. Both the girls were shoved roughly in the truck that they landed hard on their knees and the back doors were slammed shut. She could hear Travin's orders of `go go.' A gun was fired and Travin's cry of pain, then the rapid sounds of footsteps. The slamming doors of the cab and the rumble of the motor, the truck made a lurch and since Winry and Scieszka were not seated they were thrown forward and grunted and cried out at the hard fall. The glass window provided light and the view of the drivers.
 
Winry stood up at the window, finding Travin holding his shoulder that was seeping blood through his fingers; he was sweating and looked like in a lot of pain. Someone had shot him. She pounded on the window and Travin turned his head, glaring at her.
 
They had to make a sharp right and Winry flew again against the side of the truck knocking her shoulder.
 
“Oww…” She moaned clutching it. Was this it, was she going to be sold now? Did Travin and his gang get away? Winry sat up and hung her head, letting go of her arm where she folded her hands. She was never going to see her Ed and Al, or her grandmother or Roy and her heart squeezed tightly, her stomach curled and twisted as she felt bile rise into her throat. This truck probably already outran Roy and the rest of them. There was no hope now. No one was going to help her, there was no Alphonse in his practically bullet proof form or Ed with his awesome ability of arriving and saving the day and her at the lost possible moment. No one, there was no one and Winry felt the icy wind of fear take over her whole soul. Dark and cold, was all she could feel right now.
 
The prisoners heard loud banging on the back doors and they all lifted their heads as it was roughly pulled open, which the person doing it was struggling since the truck was moving at a fast speed which provided a kind of suction to keep the doors closed. Once the door was pulled open and Winry stood in shock seeing Hughes there and he swung himself inside the truck where he landed at least on his feet, he wobbled a bit before remaining steady and upright.
 
“Mr. Hughes!” Winry shouted.
 
“Sit down.” He said, rushing towards her. “It's dangerous to be standing up in a moving vehicle.” He replied just as the vehicle turned sharply right and he went with it as did Winry knocking into him rather hard as they both hit the bottom. “See.” He moaned out, he helped Winry to sit up before standing up himself. He glanced down at her. “Don't worry; we're not going to let them get away with you, with any of you. Roy's out there and with him and his brilliant tactical mind, we'll stop these deviants for sure.” He said with a wink at seeing Winry softly smile.
 
Winry heard gun fire and turned to look, finding the windows in the cab had been taken out, the bullet used narrowly missed the creeps in the cab.
 
“Put your foot on the gas and hold the wheel!” Riza shouted to Havoc who reached over and did what she said as she pushed open the door and steadied herself. She stood and inched closer to the edge. While taking a deep breath and knowing that it would hurt and she could probably die if she missed… she pushed off and jumped to the truck holding onto the door, her palms hand sliced because of the broken glass, but she grunted and pulled herself up, her blood was on the shards of glass and the side of the door. “Pull over!” She demanded to the truck's driver.
 
Travin tried to elbow her in her face but she moved quickly, when she came back into view she had a gun and fired, Travin ducked back and the bulled hit Joey who was next to him in the shoulder.
 
“I'm gonna break the window.” Hughes said to Winry who moved as he brought out one of his daggers and thrust it through the glass. “Pull this truck over, now! You won't get away!” He ordered fiercely, the driver turned sharply to the right and threw him off balance again and he flew into the laps and bodies of a few of the ladies who all groaned in pain.
 
Riza held on for dear life her, hands were stinging and she knew the glass was cutting her deeper, blood was everywhere, but she would not let go, she couldn't. So many people depended on her and she couldn't let them down. The truck twisted, practically tipping over in the sharpness of the turn, causing everyone in the back to scream in terror. “You bunch of idiots! Stop the damn truck!” She complained as she swung around again, yelling at the people in the cab.
 
There was an explosion just ahead of them, and the driver screamed and turned left, another burst of flame moved in that direction and the driver tried to turn right. Trees burst into flame in a row and the driver frantically put his foot on the breaks, the truck skidded and turned the tires screeching and threatened to topple over and it seemed to fly into a massive oak tree, hitting it hard throwing the passengers violently forward.
 
“You fool!” Travin punched his cousin in the face after his forehead had hit the dash and the skin split, a large gash was over his eye and bleeding heavily, he rested back, before turning to the window to find a gun pointed in his face, he held his hands up.
 
Winry had hit her head when she was thrown forward and knocked herself silly for a moment. She had probably lost consciousness as they were no longer moving and the back doors were open. While dazed and looking up, she saw Scieszka bending over her and extending her hand where Winry grasped it with both her bound hands. “How did you get your hands free?”
 
“The Lieutenant Colonel did it.” She gestured with a nod over her shoulder as the ladies and girls were all jumping out onto the ground as the man was slicing through the ropes binding their hands. “Come on, let's get outta here.”
 
Jumping off the truck, the darkness of night was lit up by the hot fiery blaze of trees and other greenery around them, it was very hot out but Winry still shivered.
 
Winry approached Hughes and extended her hands. “Please.” She groaned.
 
“Sure.” Maes said with a soft smile, with one hand on hers and with his dagger blade he was about to slice upward when he heard shouting and ruckus, he lifted his head, stopping mid slice. Winry turned part way around to see what was going on, her eyes widened in terror as ice formed thickly in her veins.
 
Roy was positively horrifying as Winry had watched the man throw Travin to the ground where he straddled him and his hand was pressed hard on Travin's chest where he proceeded to bash his closed fist into Travin's face, over and over and over again, and he wasn't stopping. The white glove on Roy's hand was getting redder and redder, blood was continuously splattering on his face, neck, chest and starting to soak through and his white shirt. What was even more frightening was the expression on Roy's face… it was as if he were possessed by the devil himself.
 
“Colonel Mustang, Sir, stop. You'll kill him!” Riza shouted but she noticed the only move the man made was to hit harder, the pounding of his knuckles against bone echoed around them. She and Havoc reached over to pull the Colonel from Travin, but he struggled and tried to fight against the pull.
 
Breda and Falman used this time to pull Travin's body from out of the range of being pummeled to death, by the looks of it he might have succeeded as Travin's body was still. Falman reached around for a pulse point.
 
Finding it beating slowly, it seems they stepped in just in time.
 
Roy was still fighting hard in his subordinates hold, “Don't touch me!” He hollered and ripped his arms away from their tight grasp. His body was still trembling with red hot rage and fear. He felt a hand on his shoulder, it was Fuery's hand and Roy visibly stiffened hard, “I said…don't touch me.” His tone was very dark and very deadly and the hand was dropped from him. Ro did not move. He still kneeled there on the ground, his breathing very erratic with his head bowed and his hands curled tightly upon his thighs, squeezing the tender flesh of his palms with his fingernails, making bleeding cuts.
 
Maes sliced upward through the rope that bound Winry's hands and he watched as the girl turned around and slowly walked towards Roy.
 
She fell to her knees in front of him and slowly lifted her arms which were shaking. Winry stretched forward. Her hands reached out, trembling, as she crawled forward the tiny sliver of distance that remained. She hesitantly pressed both palms to either side of his face making him jump a little at the contact. “Roy…” She said softly, a quiver in her voice and he lifted his head. She gasped and almost pulled away at seeing blood smudging and dripping down his face and she watched as he lifted his eyes that were hard and smoldering in rage to her blue that were swelling with her tears.
 
She was afraid of him right now. Winry swallowed hard, her chest tightening. Pushing that fear aside, she slowly smoothed her hands over his face and around the back of his head. His hair was damp and she pulled him into her, cradling his face against her chest, holding him tightly.
 
Wide eyed, Roy felt his heart slam against his ribcage even when he was nestled against Winry, still breathing erratic. He lifted his hands to her upper arms where he gripped her tightly and closed his eyes as he buried her face into her form, his hold became tighter practically bruising and she cried out sharply. He didn't mean to squeeze so hard, but he feared that if his hold was light enough that she would disappear. “You're safe, you're safe.” He murmured quietly so only she could hear.
 
“Yes.” She replied back just as quiet, “I'm safe.” Her arms tightened around him and she felt him breathe out long and deep and she lowered her face into his shoulder. Winry didn't care if people saw this, she was going to hold him for as long as he wanted and needed. She needed it, too.
 
After her hands had been wrapped in some bandage material, Riza had been staring at them and could see that she had been so wrong. The two of them actually care deeply for each other. She would not come between them as this is one act of protocol that she can over look. They deserve this. She turned around to her fellow soldiers who were gathering up the women, counting them and finding out their names. “It is best we get these ladies to the police station so they can close this case and their families can be notified that they are alive and unharmed.” She glared down at Travin, “And get this piece of trash to the hospital so he can heal and then be punished.” Getting nearly beaten to death is not a suitable enough punishment a far as Riza was concerned, what she had in mind for this Travin Walker… he would have wished for the Colonel to have actually beaten him to death.
 
****
 
Winry turned the key in Roy's apartment door and pushing it open as Hughes, who was propping Roy up with his shoulder, helped bring the exhausted man inside. Hawkeye followed and closed the door behind them.
 
“Where do you want him?” Maes asked, looking down at Roy who looked like he was again falling asleep. He shook him and Roy jolted, his head lifting. “Wake up, I'm not dragging your sorry ass, you're very heavy.”
 
“You're lucky, Maes, that I'm indisposed right now.” Roy weakly replied in a not so threatening tone. He was too tired for threats.
 
Switching on the light main light so she wouldn't trip over anything that could possibly be in the way, Winry hurried to the bedroom and rushed to the lamp at the bedside and turned the catch. “In here, Mr. Hughes.” Winry replied, and Roy was dragged in and he practically threw himself on the bed, his arm going over his eyes and breathing in deeply, while Winry rushed out of the room.
 
“This is what happens when your adrenaline starts running rampant through your veins and you nearly beat a guy to death. You're left with this terrible completely exhausted after affect where all your muscles hurt.” Maes informed.
 
“Thanks for the lesson, Professor.” Roy replied dryly.
 
Winry grabbed a small wooden tub from the cabinet beneath the sink, and put it on the counter. She turned on the water tap and waited for the water to get hot.
 
“Miss Rockbell.” Riza said, coming to stand in front of the breakfast bar, she noticed the girl was not speaking to her, but was indeed listening. “I just wanted to say that…I was wrong.” With this, the young blonde woman turned her head, looking at her curiously. “I should not have accused you of trying to get revenge and thinking you were going to hurt the Colonel. I jumped to a conclusion and I just wanted to say that I am, sorry.”
 
Winry sighed while she filled the tub. “I might have hated him at one time, but even then I never once thought about getting any kind of revenge on him. I am not that kind of person. I know we don't know each other that well, Miss Hawkeye, and you wanted to believe the absolute best in your commanding officer, even though he does pretty much plow over any woman he has his sights on.” Her face heated. “You knew that, but you still suspected me of trying to hurt him. It is not his fault that he and I ended up this way, and it's not mine either. I think there was more to it before it even began. Perhaps both of us were looking for some kind of resolution, a peace of mind. A deep healing that both of us needed, and I think we found that once we actually came together and met face to face. I am not sorry for what had happened and how he and I got to this point. In all the trouble, frustration and shame, I actually learned to value him as a man. He has a good heart with noble intentions. What happened in the past with my parents was disgustingly unfair and he is not solely to blame.”
 
Her words were certainly powerful, and Riza nodded. Listening to her, one wouldn't think Winry was fifteen. “I just did not realize that the Colonel would put his sight on a young girl your age unless there was a reason for it.” Riza flattened her hands on the counter. “He really does care about you, Miss Rockbell, and I see and hear how much you care about him. I know my apology does not make up for anything I have said to you, but I had to tell you just the same.”
 
“It's good that you look out for him.” Winry said turning off the water tap and with a small smile. “Even if there are mistakes made, he's lucky that you have his back.” `Especially with what he's involved in.' “And I know you want what is best for him and was only trying to help.”
 
Riza gave a tiny smile. “I do feel partly responsible for what happened to you toni—”
 
“Stop right there, Miss Hawkeye. Don't you dare,” Winry said glaring at the counter. “Nothing of what happened tonight was your fault. I was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. I should have been more vigilant and not so trusting. Travin Walker tricked me, I trusted him up until a certain point that I couldn't even see the danger until it was too late. If anyone is at fault, it is me.”
 
“It's not your fault either, Miss Rockbell. You couldn't have known. The Walkers fooled everyone, not just you.” Riza said sympathetically. Hearing footsteps she turned her head and Maes came through the doorway from the bedroom.
 
“We should get going,” Maes said looking at Riza, “How are your hands?”
 
Lifting them, her palms that had pieces of cloth wrapped around them, Riza could feel just how deep the slices in her palms were and the blood was starting to soak through the material. They needed to be cleaned and sewn up.
 
“We should have taken you to the hospital first.” Maes said with a tone that expressed regret, but knowing that she wouldn't have taken care of herself before Roy first. She was just that way. As Riza was walking towards the door, Maes moved a little closer to Winry, “Are you going to be all right, I know it's been a really rough night.”
 
Winry stared at the water in the wooden tub, “Yeah, I'll be fine. Go on and take care of yourselves.” She said and grabbed the tub pulling it out of the sink and started to carry it into the bedroom, making sure not to slosh the water out of the tub and onto the floor. She heard the front door close. Winry set down the water on the bedside table. “Roy, are you asleep?” She asked seeing his arm was still held over his eyes.
 
“No.” Roy answered quietly, he almost was. Lowering his arm from his face, he looked up at her. His eyes were sore and he ached all over, but he noticed she avoided eye contact.
 
“You can sleep.” Winry said, moving to go and get a washcloth. When she came back she found Roy in the process of removing his boots. “Oh, don't. I'll help you.” And she rushed to his side, tossing the washcloth into the hot water then gripping the heel of his right boot.
 
“I can do it.” He took a deep breath, and Winry placed her hand on his chest. Roy was intending on pushing her back, he didn't need help, not even from her. It's not like he was injured or anything, he was just really tired. “Winry, I am perfectly capable of—”
 
“I know you are.” Winry interrupted and slipped his boot from his foot. “But I want to help you. Please let me?”
 
Still her eyes avoided his even though Roy found her staring at him, at his face. He could feel it, he knew what she was looking at. He was no longer paying attention to her removing his other boot, he was concentrating on her expressions when her eyes kept shifting back to his face. “Are you afraid of me?”
 
She sighed, sitting on the edge of the bed. “Not of you. What you're actually capable of can be pretty frightening.” Winry reached over and grabbed the drenched washcloth. “The look on your face when you were…” She wrung out the cloth with a tight rolled twist and pressed it to his face moistening the lines and splatters of dried blood there where she started to wipe his cheek clean. She kept her eyes off of his. “If they hadn't of stopped you, you would have killed him.”
 
“Terror changes people, Winry. All I kept wanting was to see that man dead, and I wanted to be the one to do it.” Roy closed his eyes as the cloth moved over his face. “The most timid person can become a monster when confronted by a slow, dark terror like with what happened tonight.” He cupped her hand, stilling her movements and her eyes finally met his. “Not much terrifies me, Winry. The only incident to even come close to what I felt tonight was what was happening during the Ishbal Massacre. Those people hurt you, stole you, and were going to sell you to some sick…” he closed his eyes, taking a deep breath. Feeling the bed move, his eyes opened and Winry was sitting out of his reach and Indian Style. Her hands were cupped in her lap and her head was bowed.
 
“This is my fault.” She took in a ragged breath, “Why you almost killed someone without it having to follow a direct command.” Winry lifted her hand to her mouth and a flood of tears streamed from her eyes. “This was your own conscious thought but is it wrong to feel glad? Does that make me a bad person because I wanted him, them dead too? If you hadn't of shown up when you all did, if you…if you…” her chest hitched and she swallowed hard. “I tried hard to... I thought I'd never see you or my family and friends again! It was terrifying, just like with that murderer all those years ago… Ed and All weren't there! Nobody was there!” She pressed her palm harder to her mouth, shaking.
 
He instantly shifted forward. His arms went around her and pulled her roughly against his chest and he held her there as she sobbed against his blood stained white shirt, while he petted her hair back, and ran his fingers through her blonde locks. “It's all right, Winry. You're not a bad person; it's only natural to think that way after what you've been through. Don't worry, I'm here. I'll always be here for you. It's okay now, everything's okay.” He spoke softly in between gentle kisses pressed to her forehead as well as the top of her head, his hand continuously moving over her back, up and down in soothing caresses.
 
Roy knew he had lost control tonight, rage was all he had seen and it blinded all rational thought. Travin Walker was lucky as Roy really would have killed him, he would have killed for Winry Rockbell if his subordinates did not step in when they did and that was frightening all on its own. He had promised never to take another life unnecessarily, was what he had almost done justified, was this a good enough reason? Or did Travin Walker really not deserve what happened? Glancing down at the top of Winry's head, Roy's eyes narrowed and he immediately knew the answer. Roy would protect her with everything that he is and yes, he will do whatever it takes, even kill those that threaten her and her safety. To those out there who would hurt her, he was a dark terror.
 
=====
I hope the action was okay and I didn't confuse anyone. I know you all probably want to know what happened with the goings on outside the truck in the attempting to move the ladies. Don't worry that will be explained in the next episode/chapter. So what did you think, is Roy too mean to Travin, or is it what you would have done given the situation?
 
Thanks for reading,
Ryoko Blue