InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Baby Got Back (not a song fic) ❯ Reactions ( Chapter 3 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
"In...u...Ya...Sha" Kagome almost sang as she attempted to get the hanyou's attention from her place on his back. "Earth to Inu Yasha?" She tried again as the hanyou seemingly ignored her.

"What?" Inu Yasha finally barked in obvious agitation.

"Your holding my legs too tight." She whined against his ear, wrapping her arms around his neck as she tried to alleviate some of the burden she could only assume her extra weight was adding.

"Feh." He grumbled as he once again loosened his grip on her thighs.

"You know..." Kagome began softly as she whispered into the hanyou's back. "If I'm too heavy you can just put me down."

Inu Yasha snarled, tightening his hold on Kagome's thighs in emphasis as they continued to walk. "Don't be stupid."

Kagome muttered something about hanyou's with something to prove into Inu Yasha's hair and then fell silent. While she really appreciated the effort he was putting forth, she had to believe his back was killing him. Otherwise why would he be holding her legs so tightly? Why was he doing this? Did he really feel THAT guilty over a little thing like her ankle. It wasn't his fault she tripped. Protector or not, she didn't expect him to save her from her own clumsiness.

"Hey Kagome...." Inu Yasha began as he stopped near a stream. "You hungry?"

"Am I.....?" 'Why would I be hungry we JUST left camp three hours ago.' Kagome grumbled. Was this some underhanded way to insult her? Insinuating she needed to eat every three seconds? Silently Kagome shook her head free of such thoughts. 'You're paranoid girl. Inu Yasha doesn't know how to be underhanded.' So why would he wanna stop?

'Of course!' Kagome's internal voice chimed as she came to the realization. 'He's tired and doesn't want to make me feel bad.' She sighed softly. 'Why can't he just let me walk? His poor back must be killing him.'

"We can stop here if you want Inu Yasha." Kagome whispered softly as she felt him bend and lightly set her on the ground.

"Great!" Inu Yasha exclaimed with enthusiasm. "Do we have any ramen left?"

Kagome nodded. "Yup. I made sure to pack a ton. Gimme a sec and I'll get a fire going."

"Feh!" The hanyou responded raising his hands in a halting gesture. "I think I can cook ramen. You just take it easy."

Kagome's eyebrow twitched.

Sango's eyebrow twitched.

Miroku grabbed Sango's ass and quickly joined the world of the unconscious.

"Sango-chan." Kagome whispered as the girl sat down beside her. Both girls locked their eyes on the hanyou as a look of utter astonishment blanketed their faces. "What's wrong with Inu Yasha?"

"I-I don't know." Sango answered, in a tone that belayed her shock.

"Have you noticed......." Kagome began as she continued to watch Inu Yasha start a fire.

"That you haven't been fighting?" Sango finished and then nodded. "It was starting to creep Mirkou and I out."

Inu Yasha shot Kagome a smile and she returned it as best she could, considering her confusion, before leaning closer to Sango. "I think he's lost his little puppy mind."

Sango giggled softly before gasping and covering her mouth. "You....." She hesitated as she considered her words. "You don't suppose he feels guilty?"

"I don't know." Kagome whispered in reply. "I've been hurt before and he's never acted this way."

"Maybe its not your injury he feels guilty about." Sango whispered. "Maybe he feels ....indirectly responsible for putting you through this....." She motioned to Kagome's body.

"This what?" Kagome questioned; an unsettled feeling in the pit of her stomach.

"You know....." Sango began..."Your condition."

Kagome bit her lip and closed her eyes as tears threatened to spill through her eyelashes. She knew Sango probably didn't mean it the way it sounded, like she had the plague or something, but it hurt none-the-less. So Sango thought that Inu Yasha pitied her as well? Of course, what other possible explanation could there be. Suddenly our pure miko felt very dirty.

"I think I need a bath." Kagome announced as she rose to her feet and dusted the grass from her behind.

"You want me to go with you?" Both Inu Yasha and Sango chimed in at the same time causing Kagome to freeze.

"No thank you." She whispered softly as she attempted to remove any emotion from her voice. "The springs aren’t that far and Shippo and I can handle it."

"Don't worry." Shippo announced as he once again puffed up his chest while jumping to Kagome's shoulder. "I'll protect Kagome."

"If she gets hurt its your hide runt." Inu Yasha grunted as he crossed his arms over his chest.

"Baka." Kagome bit out bitterly under her breath, loud enough for Inu Yasha to hear.

Inu Yasha stared at her as she left and then turned to Sango. "What the hell did I say?"

Sango simply shrugged and glared over her shoulder at Mirkou as he once again regained consciousness.