InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Destined for Me ❯ Chapter 32 ( Chapter 32 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Chapter 32
 
The next morning everyone was up before the break of dawn. They were getting everything ready to leave as they continued heading toward the Southern Lands.
 
Sesshomaru had woken up early as he placed Kagome on the back of Ah and Un. He told the dragon to protect his mate and not let anyone get near her as he went to speak to his brother.
 
The dragon understood his instruction as Sesshomaru reached up and removed the muzzle that was placed around the dragon's mouth. He had muzzled the dragon because he could not control when he would spit fire. He had to teach the dragon that he could only attack those who threatened his pack or those who threaten the one he was protecting.
 
Ah and Un shook their heads as they were finally free of the thing that their master had put over their mouths. They were hoping that their master would reconsider and wouldn't put it back on if they did what they were told. They would protect his mate and make sure that no one got near the girl.
 
They felt proud for their master had never trusted them with something so important to him. Yes they had protected Rin from danger in the past but the dragon knew she was just a pup and defenseless. But this one, his mate, was powerful in her own right. He had been waiting for his chance to prove himself and he was not about to disappoint his master.
 
The dragon stood tall as he scanned the area for threats. The soldiers were keeping their distance from him for they knew that he was a powerful youkai in his own right and he could kill them in an instant.
 
Sesshomaru had gone to talk to his brother as they made plans to continue on their journey. They knew that they were close to the Southern Lands and that the threat will become more omniscient once they stepped foot on the lands.
 
Once everything was packed they all started to move. Sesshomaru had walked back to the dragon and saw that Kagome was still asleep. He didn't want to wake her for he knew that she was still tired from the previous night.
 
He growled low in his throat when he remembered that those bastards had interrupted something very special with his mate. Then the way he had to relieve her pain as quickly as possible before she went out of control.
 
She was an Inu Youkai now and he knew what her body changes would be but he still had to teach Kagome all of these things so she could understand. He knew that she was still confused over her new form and he would have to teach her how to overcome these problems. He preferred to work with her so he could show her all of her new feelings and instincts but he was always interrupted.
 
`Dwelling on these things is not doing me any good. I have to find the time to teach her what has happened to her body so that she understands. Once we settle everything in the Southern Lands then I will be able to teach her all of these changes. But for now I have to protect her and make sure that she does not leave my sight.' Thought Sesshomaru as they continued on their journey.
 
He walked along side Ah and Un as his tail was draped over Kagome keeping her warm from the chill in the morning air.
 
Kagome finally woke up a few hours later. Her head was throbbing as she felt the gentle rocking motion of movement. She knew that they had left the clearing and they were continuing on their journey.
 
She moaned as she placed her hand over her temple and started to rub to get rid of the impending headache. She was glad that it was not the sever pain that she had gotten when she had the contusion a while back.
 
She felt her body shift as she was being held tightly. She slowly opened her eyes as they came into focus. She saw the concerned look in her mate's eyes as he was gently licking her neck. It calmed her immensely and the headache started to go away. Somehow her mate always knew what to do to make her feel better.
 
Sesshomaru had been walking next to the dragon as they had finally made it to the Southern Lands boarders. Everyone was on high alert for any approaching danger to their group.
 
They had sent out a scouting party to make sure that the way was clear for them as they traveled. So far there had been no threats as they continued.
 
He noticed that his mate was slowly starting to wake up. He heard her moan in pain as she reached up and started to rub her temple. He remembered the last time she had done this and became alarmed. He knew that they were unable to go through the well anymore. If she was to get severely injured she would not be able to see the healers from her era and he was afraid to use Tenseiga on her for fear that it might not work.
 
He reached over and pulled her into his arms as he held her close to his chest. He started to purr and nuzzle her neck trying to give her some comfort. When she purred her delight at being close to him he breathed a sigh of relief knowing that she was no longer in pain.
 
He pulled her away from his chest as he said in her ear, “Mate, what's wrong? Are you in pain?”
 
Kagome shifted in his embrace as she looked into his eyes. She smiled, as she said, “No, not anymore. The pain was not the same as the last time Koi, so don't worry I'm not injured.”
 
Kagome shifted in his arms as she looked around and noticed that they were still moving. She then turned to him and asked, “Where are we Sesshomaru?”
 
Sesshomaru felt as Kagome settled into his arms, finally giving in to his possessiveness. He heard her question as he replied, “We are now in the Southern Regions. We must be more cautious from now on. We are more likely to be attacked since we have crossed the boundaries. You must stay close to me and never leave my side. If you do I will not be responsible for my actions once I catch you.”
 
Kagome raised an eyebrow at him as she asked, “What will happen to me if I chose not to stay close to you?” She was curious about what he was going to do.
 
He smirked as he leaned down and said in her ear, “You will not like the outcome of what will happen to you. Please do not push my inner youkai to its limits for if you do I will not be able to control his rage.”
 
Kagome swallowed hard as she gave a nod of understanding. She didn't want to find out what his inner youkai would do if she left his side. Beside she thought all she had to do was put up with it until the next full moon, which was about three weeks away.
 
Kagome had a thought as she looked up at her mate and said, “Sesshomaru could you put me down so I can stretch my legs. Not training for all of these days has made my body ache. I need to start training again so I don't feel liked I've wasted my time learning my skills.”
 
Sesshomaru complied with his mate's request as he put her on her feet. He saw her stretch her body as she worked on the tightened muscles on her back and legs. He stood there admiring the way his mate moved her body around as she stretched every major muscle.
 
Kagome finished with her stretching but she still had too much pent up energy. She needed to do something to relieve the tension in her body. She looked toward her mate as she said in a pledging tone, “Would you accompany me on a run so I can loosen my muscles? I don't want to become all fat and flabby.”
 
Sesshomaru chuckled as he heard her request. He knew that she liked to keep her body toned, that's why they trained early in the morning.
 
He agreed to her request as they moved toward the front and told Inuyasha what they were going to do. They both took off before Inuyasha could even respond to Sesshomaru's comment. He turned to the commander and told them to send a couple of the fastest youkai they had to follow and protect them as the rest of the group followed behind.
 
The commander did as he was told and a couple of their fastest demons took off after their lord to offer some protection to his mate in case they were attacked.
 
~oOo~
 
Kagome was running through the forest as she stretched her legs. It felt good to feel the cool air hitting her face as she raced through the forest with her mate following closely behind her.
 
Her hair was flowing smoothly behind her as she pumped her powerful legs making her go-faster. At first she never knew that she could travel with such speeds. It was amazing to her how her body had changed. She wanted to be a strong mate for Sesshomaru but she never thought that she would be this powerful.
 
Sesshomaru signaled for her to stop at the next clearing as they both skidded to a halt. She looked at her mate with loving eyes as he brought her into his embrace. After a few minutes he said in her ear, “This is the perfect place for me to teach you how to use your claws in battle. Inuyasha and the others will not be here for at least an hour and this will give us enough time for some training. I have to teach you how to use your claws effectively.”
 
Kagome nuzzled her mate and licked under his chin as a sign that she agreed to his request. When she did that all Sesshomaru wanted was to throw her on the ground and ravish her body.
 
He restrained himself wanting to teach her what she needed to know incase they were attacked so she could defend herself with her claws.
 
He pulled away from her as he began his lessons. He showed her how to flex her claws and extend them for battle. He showed her how to pull them back so she wouldn't hurt the pups when she held them in her arms.
 
He tried to see if she had any special attacks that would come out when she attacked with her claws. He had her attack him and discovered very quickly that the blade attack that came out of her claws had purifying powers in them. They could purify an enemy within seconds if he wasn't careful to stay away from her attacks.
 
They continued to train as Kagome was learning quickly how to use her claws in battle. At one point Sesshomaru got distracted, thinking he heard a noise in their general location, when she attacked him. He couldn't get out of the way of her attack as it hit him full force.
 
Kagome screamed in agony. She thought that she had just killed the only person that she could ever love. She collapsed on her knees as streaks of tears stained her face, her heart pounding in her chest as it constricted in pain. She waited, long agonizing minutes, for the smoke to clear the area.
 
Kagome heart was racing as she thought, `what have I done? I didn't pay attention to what I was doing and I have killed him. What kind of demon am I that I don't have control over my own powers? I can hurt the children if I'm not careful and now I have lost the only thing that means the world to me, the only reason for me to even live.'
 
She was blinded to the world as her tears filled her eyes. She was heart broken at having just killed her mate.
 
The smoke finally cleared and Sesshomaru stood up on his feet once more. Kagome's mark on his forehead had come to life to protect him from her purifying powers. She had given him the protection he needed to always be safe with her.
 
He looked for his mate as he saw her crying on the ground. She was in shock and didn't see that he had survived her attack. He rushed to her side as he pulled her into his arms and let her cry into his chest.
 
He purred deep and gentle letting her know that she had not killed him and that he was still here for her. He lowered his head to her ear as he said, “Koishii, you did not hurt me. Your mark has protected me from your powers.”
 
Kagome gently pulled away from his embrace as she saw the symbol of her miko powers still glowing on his forehead. It had protected him from her wrath as she fainted into his arms. Her body finally gave out as the shock that she had received overcame her and she finally let the darkness take her.
 
Sesshomaru held his mate tightly in his arms. He knew that he had shocked her and she was overcome with her emotions. He sat there and waited for his brother to reach him before they would continue on their journey.
 
Sesshomaru knew that he was being protected because he had felt their presence in the forest. He said nothing as he waited for his brother to catch up.
 
~oOo~
 
Inuyasha and the others finally made it to where Sesshomaru and Kagome were located. The guards had informed him of what happened and he became alarmed. He had rushed ahead as he saw his brother sitting in a clearing and rushed to his side.
 
He kneeled next to him as he asked, “Are you all right? Did Kagome's attack hurt you in anyway?”
 
Sesshomaru turned to his brother and said, “No, the mark she has given me on my forehead now protects me from her powers. It will allow me to get close to her without getting hurt if she loses control over her powers. It is my assumption that when we mated she had helped me gain control of my new powers. In her helping me she has bestowed upon me her protection incase she ever loses control, that way I will be protected from her own attacks.
 
We didn't know this when I started to train her on using her claws. She has the same blade attacks as you and I but hers carry purifying powers with it. If she ever hits you with it you will be dead. So I suggest, little brother, that you never get on her bad side for if she uses her claws on you, you will not be as lucky as me.”
 
Inuyasha swallowed hard as he stood and his brother followed suit. Ah and Un came closer to his master as Sesshomaru put Kagome unconscious form on his back.
 
Sesshomaru turned to his brother and said, “Come we must continue our journey. So far I have not detected any wild life in this area. This is not good. If there is no meat source nearby then the humans and youkai can not survive on this land for long.”
 
Inuyasha agreed with his brother. With no wild life in the area the land will not support the humans or demons that tend to the lands and they will not be able to grow any crops for the future.
 
They all continued on their journey, as they were all learning different things along the way. Sesshomaru was still keeping close to his mate as she slept. He was worried about her since she had not stirred since their training this morning.
 
They came to another clearing as they all bedded down for the night. Sesshomaru was sitting with Kagome in his arms as he offered her some comfort. He held her close to his chest as he let his aura surround her body and they became one again.
 
It formed a protective barrier around them as they slept. The rest in the group stayed away from them as they continued to guard them in the darkened forest of the night.
 
~oOo~
 
Kagome started to stir sometime before the sun rose in the sky. She slowly opened her eyes as she tried to remember what had happened to her. Memories of what happened when she was training with Sesshomaru came to her mind as she struggled to get loose from whoever was holding her.
 
Sesshomaru felt when Kagome woke up in his arms. She was struggling to get out of his embrace as he quickly lowered his head and started to lick her mark.
 
Kagome stilled as she was breathing heavily. She closed her eyes again wanting to get her emotions under control. She felt a familiar tongue on her neck and it brought comfort to her. Tears were coming out of her eyes as she whispered, “Sesshomaru…”
 
Sesshomaru lifted his head up as he looked at Kagome. He saw the tears in her eyes as he held her closer to his heart. He understood that she had thought he was dead as he said in a gentle voice, “Mate, you did not hurt this Sesshomaru. Your mark saved me from your wrath. You gave me this power so I can always protect you when you lose control.”
 
Kagome brought her arm up as she wrapped it around Sesshomaru neck. She was happy that she didn't hurt him and that her mark actually saved him from her wrath. “Promise me that you will never make me attack you again with my claws. I don't think that I can take losing you because I can't control the powers I have.”
 
Sesshomaru purred as he promised not to make her attack him again. He rocked her gently in his arms until she stilled her crying. He took her to the hot springs that they had found and just enjoyed a bath together. He never let her out of his arms for she was still too upset. Once he got her to calm down they got dressed as the group waited for their return before they continued on their journey.
 
They estimated that it would take them another 4 day to reach the Southern castle. They have encountered some attacks but Sesshomaru let his soldiers deal with them. They needed to keep their skills sharpened as it heightened their senses.
 
About mid day Kagome stopped in her tracks. She was sensing something off in the distance as she concentrated on it. She could feel that there was a village near by and they were under attack. She could clearly hear the screams of the people as she heard the women and children crying out for help.
 
She turned toward Sesshomaru and said, “There is a village not too far away from here that is being attacked. They are killing all who live there and we must stop them. If we allow them to destroy the villages there will be no one left.”
 
Sesshomaru heard his mate as he assessed the situation. They knew that they were going to have to fight sooner or later to protect all that lived upon this land. This was as good a place to start as he turned to his brother and said, “Inuyasha, split the forces in two. Half will travel with the wagons protecting the previsions that we have and the rest will come with us.
 
We are going to investigate what Kagome is sensing in the distance. If there is a village being attacked we must protect it. We will start enforcing the Western Lands laws from now on and anyone not agreeing with the laws will be dealt with accordingly.”
 
Inuyasha quickly got the group split into two. The fiercest warriors going with them while the rest followed behind. They all took off following Kagome. She was the only one that could sense in which the direction the attack was coming from.
 
Kagome's senses were more powerful than Sesshomaru's because she was a miko. She was more in tuned with nature and she could pick up on things that they could not. As they were getting closer to their destination they had picked up the smell of blood.
 
They continued until they reached the village as they noticed one of the lower lords soldiers leveling the village to the ground. They didn't care who they hurt as they continued to attack all who lived there.
 
Kagome saw a child about to be attacked as she put on a burst of speed and intercepted the attack. She held the child in her arms as she put him down behind her and drew her sword.
 
She faced the soldier that was pissed that this lowly demoness had taken away his prey as he said, “Wench! What the fuck do you think your doing? You are interfering with Lord Hayia request that this village provide his home with food. If they refused then we are to burn it to the ground for non compliance.”
 
Kagome temper flared at being called a Wench. Oh how she hated that word and she was going to make this demon pay with his life for calling her that.
 
Kagome squeezed the hilt of her sword as she gave it her powers. It grew in length as she saw the soldiers eyes grow big. She brought it forward as she growled out her demands, “I am Kagome, Lady of the Southern Lands. These are my lands and my people you are attacking. You will stop this attack right now or it will mean your death.”
 
The soldier was in shock when he heard this as he said, “You are not the Lady of the Southern Lands. We know for a fact that Sora is the Lady not you.”
 
“I'm the one that defeated Kamlyn in battle and killed him and his pathetic daughter. So by the laws of the land I am Lady to this region. Your Lord Hayia holds no title here for I have not given him any lands of his own.” Kagome's aura was increasing by the minute as the soldiers that were attacking the village gathered at the confrontation that was happening in the middle of the village.
 
She sensed her mate and Inuyasha standing behind her giving her a chance to take control of the land. They knew that this was going to happen and they all needed to bow down to her.
 
The soldiers that were from this lower Lord huffed as the one in charge said, “We don't believe you and we could care less. We will not bow down to the likes of you. Now get out of our way while we carry out our Lords wishes. We don't need a useless female getting in our way.”
 
That did it as Kagome attacked the arrogant soldier standing in front of her. She swung her sword down as she cut the idiot in half. No one saw her move as she move with s blur. She landed in the middle of the soldiers as she spun on the ball of her foot and released a whip just like Sesshomaru but her was a purifying whip. Within seconds she had killed all of the soldiers that were attacking the village as she stopped to survey the damage she had done.
 
Slowly the inhabitance of the village started to come out of their hiding places as the child that she had saved went running into his mother's arms. The demoness seeing that her son was safe bowed deeply to Kagome in thanks for saving her son.
 
The rest of the demons that lived in the village approached the group with caution. They didn't know who they were and they were afraid of being attacked again. The elder for the village came forth as he bowed deeply to her and said, “We thank you my Lady for saving our village. But the Lord of this area will be back to finish destroying it because we did not complying with his wishes.
 
We have no extra food to give them for their lord. The crops were not good this year and fresh game is hard to come by.”
 
Kagome smiled as she said, “I am Kagome, Lady of the Southern Lands. I defeated Lord Kamlyn in a fight and killed him for his arrogance. I also fought with his daughter when she challenged me for my mate and she lost her life to me. I will not let this lower lord come here and destroy your village.
 
I have traveled from the Western Lands to take control of the Southern. My mate Lord Sesshomaru of the Western Lands is your new lord. You come under our protection so your village will be safe.”
 
Everyone gasped as they saw the Taiyoukai of the West step forward and grab his mate around her waist. They had heard of him and they knew he held great powers. They all kneeled down low before their new Lord and Lady as the elder said, “We welcome you my Lord and Lady to our humble village. We wish that we could offer you more in the way of comfort but we are unable to do so at this time. Please forgive this humble village.”
 
Sesshomaru looked at everything around him as he barked some orders to his soldiers and they took off around the village. They went to secure it from any further attacks. He then turned his attention to the elder as he said, “All rise. I Sesshomaru, Taiyoukai of the West, am now your lord. Will you accept my laws as your own and my protection?”
 
They all rose to their feet as the elder spoke for everyone. “We accept your laws and your protection Lord Sesshomaru. We have heard nothing but good things coming from the west and we are honored to have you as our lord.”
 
Sesshomaru accepted the village under his protection. His mate moved forward as she said in a low and gentle voice, “Please elder, we must see to your peoples injuries. Lead me to the place where you have them all.”
 
The elder bowed deeply to Kagome as he said, “Please follow me my lady.”
 
Kagome walked behind the elder as he took her to the place where all of the injured were located. Kagome's eyes opened wide when she noticed that most of the injured were children. No one was dead yet as she walked among the injured. Tears were going down her cheeks as she saw what the intruders had done.
 
Her heart ached as she saw all the pain and suffering that the people of this village were going through. She stopped right in the middle as she brought her hands up to her chest. She was concentrating on a spell as she began to glow.
 
Sesshomaru watched what his mate was doing. He had never seen this side of her before. She was actually crying for the demons that were hurt in the attack as she stopped right in the middle of the group.
 
He observed that her whole body was now glowing a light blue in color as she was gathering her power. She then spread her hands apart as the blue aura engulfed each injured demon. She healed all of their wounds within seconds as she gave them all strength to recover from their ordeal. When she was done she opened her eyes as she looked at everyone.
 
Kagome felt dizzy for a few minutes as she looked around the area. She found that she had healed everyone as she almost fell down to her knees.
 
Sesshomaru was watching Kagome carefully. When he saw her waver he quickly rushed forward and caught her before she hit the ground. He held her close to his chest as he looked at her with concern. She had used a new power and it had drained her of her energy.
 
Kagome smiled at Sesshomaru before she fell asleep in his arms. Knowing that she was safe from any harm.
 
Everyone that was injured looked up with disbelief. They had all been healed and they owed it all to the new Lady of the Land. They never knew that they could have such a kind and caring Lord or Lady. They understood, right then at that moment in time, their lives have been changed. They welcomed them with open arms and they looked forward to a brighter future.
 
~oOo~
 
Kagome felt that she was being tightly held. She heard voices as her brain was starting to function again. She heard the sound of her mate's voice, as they seemed to be in some sort of meeting. She started to move and then noticed that everyone stopped talking. She opened her eyes to find her mate staring at her with concern.
 
She smiled as she said, “Please forgive me for interrupting your meeting. Please continue.”
 
She moved to get out of her mates embrace but he was not willing to let her go. She looked at him with pleading eyes as he released his hold on her. She nuzzled her mate as she made her way outside the hut they had been sitting in.
 
Inuyasha, who was outside, was waiting for her. She smiled at him as she went and sat next to him just to relax. After a few minutes of silence she asked, “How long has Sesshomaru been in that meeting with the elders?”
 
Inuyasha turned to her and said, “They have been at it for over two hours. He is trying to find out everything that has been happening in this region and which lords we are going to have to take down before we reach the Southern castle.
 
I tried to get him to release you but he was stubborn and held on to you until you woke up.”
 
Kagome giggled as she said, “Yeah I know but he does mean well. I hope that I can survive his possessiveness until the next new moon.”
 
Inuyasha chuckled at her comment as they sat together under a tree and just enjoyed each other's company.
 
Kagome noticed out of the corner of her eye that the children of the village were watching her. They were curious about her as she turned and smiled at them. When she spoke it was a kind and gentle voice as she said, “You can come closer to me. I won't hurt you.”
 
The children looked at each other as they came to a consensus. They came out of their hiding places as they all walked over to her. Her smile was one of the warmest smiles they had ever seen. Her eyes were the bluest they had ever seen in a demoness and it held kindness in them. They were all drawn to her.
 
The littlest of the children stepped forward as he said, “Your pretty. What's your name?”
 
Kagome giggled as she said, “My name is Kagome. But who are you little one?” She reached forward and tickled the little bear cub as he laughed.
 
“My name is Haru and I'm a bear youkai.” Said the little cub with pride.
 
“Well nice to meet you Haru, are all these your friends?” Asked Kagome in a smooth and loving voice.
 
She looked at all the children as they all nodded indicating that they were all friends. The children gathered around her as they sat with her for a while.
 
Kagome enjoyed talking with children as they all got her to tell them a story. Kagome thought for a few minutes as she decided to tell the story of her son Shippo and how she came to adopt the little kitsune pup.
 
The demonesses of the village were looking for their children since they all had disappeared from their sights. They searched everywhere for them until they found them all with the Lady of the South. They gasped thinking that they were bothering the lady as they rushed to get them away from her.
 
To their surprise she was telling them a story of the day she had found a little kitsune pup and how she had come to adopt him. They were surprised that she had taken a pup that belonged to another youkai and was raising it. They all sat down to listen to the tale and there opinion of the new lady grew ten fold.
 
She was holding a bear cub in her lap as she was telling them Shippo's story. They also felt a calming aura that spread throughout the village as they relaxed for the first time in a long while.
 
~oOo~
 
Sesshomaru was finishing his meeting with the elders of the village. He had enough information to know who to go after. Just as he was about to get up he felt the calming aura of his mate and smiled. `Kagome must be telling stories again.' Which meant that pups were surrounding her. He sighed knowing that it was next to impossible to keep her away from the children.
 
The elders of the village noticed the calming aura that was spreading around the village. They have never felt anything like this before. They turned to their new lord and asked, “Excuse us my lord, but do you know where this calming aura is coming from? It's new and we have never felt such power being spread over the village.”
 
Sesshomaru looked at the elders sitting in front of him as he said, “That, elders, is my mate spinning a story for the pups. She has a habit of spreading a calming aura in the area as she spins her tale. Right now she is telling the pups a story on how she had met and adopted a kitsune pup as her own.”
 
The elders looked at each other in shock. They have never met any demons that would care for another's pup.
 
They all stood as they walked outside to see Kagome sitting with a bear cub in her lap as she spun her tale. When she was done the children were all surprised that she would have a kitsune for her pup. She told them all that it didn't matter that they were all different. The only thing that mattered was for them to live together in peace and protect each other.
 
The cub sitting in Kagome's lap notices the Taiyoukai coming his way as he cowered in Kagome's lap. She hugged the cub to her chest as she said in his ear, “Don't worry Haru I will not allow him to hurt any of you.”
 
She released the cub from her lap as she set him on his feet. All the children quickly left as they went to their mothers. Kagome smiled sweetly as she saw them all with their mother. Her heart ached for her own pups as she let a sigh of longing escape her lips.
 
It was starting to get dark as Sesshomaru came closer to his mate. They needed to find a place to bed down for the night before they continued on their trip. The children had scattered as soon as he approached. They were all scared of him and he liked to keep it that way.
 
He reached out to his mate as he offered her his hand to help her up. He turned to her and said, “We must leave, it's starting to get dark and we must find a place to bed down for the night.”
 
The elders hearing the lord's words stepped forward and said, “Please my Lord you are welcome to stay here in the village with us. There is no safe place around here and it would honor us if you would stay.”
 
Kagome looked at her mate as she looked to see what he would do. She saw many options running through his eyes as he finally came to a decision. “Thank you for your kindness elder, we would be honored to stay in the village for the night. We will leave at first light so we may continue on our journey.”
 
The elders were happy to hear that they would be staying. They offered them some huts that were not damaged for a place to rest for the night but Sesshomaru refused. Sesshomaru and his group move to one side of the village and set up camp under the starry sky.
 
Once they were away from the villagers he turned to Inuyasha and said, “Inuyasha, have the soldiers set up a perimeter around the village. I feel that we will have visitors later on tonight. This Lord Hayia is going to be coming back to find out what has happened to his soldiers. We must be prepared for the attack. I don't want this village damaged any more than they have already.
 
Have some of the food that we have been carrying sent to the elders with my compliments. This should last them until we can send them aid from the Western Lands.”
 
Inuyasha move with speed to take care of everything that his brother had requested, he already had soldiers out on patrol looking for any signs of an impending danger. He gathered a few soldiers and told them to take some of the supplies to the village with Sesshomaru's compliments and then tell the elders that more supplies would be forth coming from the west.
 
He told all the soldiers to keep watch for there would be an attack later on that night. It was only a matter of time before this lower lord came to find out what has happened to his soldiers.
 
The word was sent to all the soldiers that belonged to Sesshomaru. They were on high alert as they waited to see what would happen. Inuyasha was waiting for the spies to come back to camp. He had sent them out as soon as Kagome had killed the soldiers that were attacking the village.
 
They had sent word back that they were following the survivors to this lord that had sent them. They would return when they had more information about what this lord was going to do.
 
When everything that Sesshomaru had requested was completed he returned to his brother to see what the plan of attack would be.
 
~oOo~
 
Kagome sat with Sesshomaru as he pulled her to his side and held her close to his body. He sighed it was going to be a long night. “They will come here to finish destroying this village. You must be prepared for they will come to challenge you. We must set the example with these fools and prove that we are here to protect this land and its people. You have already started to win over the Southern Lands with your heart and kindness. They have never met anyone like you, who would protect them so they wouldn't get hurt.
 
You protected their young which no demon has ever done before and have adopted one not of your own race. Slowly my love, you are teaching everyone to rethink their ideals as you set new standards for them. This Sesshomaru is happy to call you his mate for all eternity.”
 
Sesshomaru leaned forward as he kissed her. He loved her deeply and she was beginning to change him as well. He never in his life thought that he could ever love a human. She proved to be stubborn and strong of will. She has tremendous powers that rival his own but has a gentle heart that everyone wants. She was his for all eternity and he was happy that he had finally found his soul mate.
 
He pulled away from his kiss when he heard his brother returning to his location. He just wished that he had some alone time with his mate. He placed his forehead on hers as he took in her scent. It was the only thing keeping him calm for not getting his way with her.
 
When Inuyasha arrived back at his brother's location they proceeded to discuss what they were going to do. Kagome fell asleep while Sesshomaru was holding on to her. She was tired and had a very difficult day as they waited for the impending battle.
 
They waited about another hour when one of the spies returned with some important information. His spy had found out that this lord was coming here with a great force. It was going to be hard to bring them down but he knew that they could do it.
 
Inuyasha left his brother for a few minutes as he grabbed the commander and they took off toward the woods. They searched the area until they found the perfect route that they would take toward the village. They returned a short while later to inform Sesshomaru of their plan.
 
Sesshomaru was impressed with his brother. He was learning well the art of strategizing. He was really good at it as he thought, `When I finish training Inuyasha he would make a perfect lord for this region. I can trust the lands to his care and he would see to everyone's safety. I could release him from his bond to me but first I must speak with my mate. I want to know that she would be alright with this.'
 
Sesshomaru agreed with Inuyasha's plan as they all set out to get everything ready. Sesshomaru leaned down and started to wake Kagome. She moaned not wanting to get up as he said in her ear, “Kagome my love, you must wake the enemy is getting near and we must set up for the battle.”
 
Kagome yawned as she stretched and looked at her mate. She nodded her head in understanding as she got up. She was tired as she concentrated on setting up a barrier that would protect the village in case anyone got past them. They sent word to the elders to make sure no one approached the barrier for if they did they could get purified.
 
They walked together in silence as they approached the clearing that Inuyasha had picked for the battle. Sesshomaru looked over the area and approved, with praise toward his brother, for picking a perfect spot for the ambush.
 
Inuyasha was shocked that his brother would actually praise him for something that he did. He felt proud that he was finally worthy to be noticed by his brother and that he was carrying on with their father's wishes.
 
They waited in the woods near the clearing. They were hoping that this lord would come soon so they could get this over with. They were all nervous but on high alert.
 
A signal came from one of their soldiers signaling that there were intruders coming into the area. They waited as Sesshomaru and Inuyasha picked up their noses and sniffed the air.
 
Kagome followed suit to see what they were picking up as far as a scent and she nearly gagged. She turned her face into her mates chest as she said, “Don't these fools ever heard of taking a bath! They reek of sweat and dry blood, like it has been a while since they had bathed.”
 
Sesshomaru chucked at his mates comments as he went stiff. They were close to the clearing, as they all got ready.
 
~oOo~
 
Lord Hayia was in the lead as they marched through the forest trying to get to the village where he had lost a good portion of his men. Word had gotten back to him that there was a new demon in the area that had killed them.
 
Hayia was a panther demon. He was very tall with long black hair that came down to his waist. It was tied back in a low ponytail to keep it out of his way. His hair was matted from never brushing his long mane as his hair stuck to the side of his head from sweating so much.
 
He was tall for a panther demon with long muscled legs and a perfectly sculptured body. He had bright green markings as a single stripe appeared on each side of his face. He had a mark of a tooth on his forehead showing that he was the one in charge of this area. His long black tail was moving from side to side in agitation. His bright green eyes scanning the area for the intruders that wanted to take his land away from him.
 
Hayia took this attack to mean that they were challenging him for his lands as he gathered his forces to do battle. It had taken him over 100 years to get these lands and he was not about to give them up for anyone.
 
They were making a lot of noise as they were traveling through the forest. They had no concept of stealth when they traveled, not caring if the enemy heard them or not. They got to the clearing as they were steadily making their way toward the village. They would be there soon and then they would take care of that youkai that had attacked his men.
 
Sesshomaru and the rest noticed when the lower Lord entered the clearing. He nodded for Kagome to go challenge him as they all waited in the woods.
 
Kagome took a deep breath as she stood and walked out into the clearing. She saw the army that Hayia brought with him to see to their demise. She smiled as a glimmer of evil could be seen in her orbs. It only took a few minutes for these fools to notice her as they all stopped in their tracks.
 
Hayia saw the beautiful demoness that had stepped into the clearing. He stopped as he told everyone to stay alert and walked a few more steps closer to her. He heard her growls to keep away from her as he smirked and said, “Well, well, well, what do we have here? My you are a pretty one my dear. What are you doing out here in the forest all by yourself? Are you looking for some fun? Then I can make sure you get some.”
 
Kagome bared her fangs at the demon in front of her as she said, “I don't want to have fun with the likes of you even if my life depended on it. Your stench alone is enough to drive anyone away from the area. I'm here for a different reason. What are you doing so close to this village?”
 
Hayia huffed as he spat out, “Wench! You dare insult the lord of this area. I will make you pay for your insults! Once I'm done with you I will give you to my men. They could use someone like you to keep them company at night.”
 
All of the soldiers that Hayia had with him started to laugh as they heard his comments. They were going to be having some fun when this mission was over with.
 
Kagome pointed her nose in the air as she huffed, “The only one I will keep warm at night is my mate and none of you are him. Now I ask again what do you want here?”
 
Hayia was losing his temper as he replied, “This area belongs to me and that village went against my decree to supply my castle with food. I will destroy this village as an example for anyone who would defy my order.”
 
“I don't think so. I protect this village and if you're the one that sent those pathetic fools to destroy this place then you need to train your men better. They fell dead by my claws as I protect this land.” Said Kagome with disgust in her voice. She would have to teach these fools a lesson.
 
“So you're the one that killed my men. It's hard to believe that they fell to the likes of you. Who are you?” Hayia patience was running thin as he tried to get some information out of the wench that was standing there in front of him.
 
Kagome stood her ground as she said, “You should know who I am but if you're so dense as to not know then I will tell you. I'm Kagome, Lady of the Southern Lands. These are my lands that you are trying to destroy and this village is under my protection. I don't recognize you as lord for this area for I have not bestowed that honor on you.
 
If you say that you are lord to this area then you have not done your job well. For a good lord would always take care of his people before his own needs.
 
Now you have a choice. Leave this area or die!”
 
Hayia anger grew ten fold. He knew who the Lady of the Southern Lands was as he said, “You are not Sora! She is the true Lady of the South and you wench will pay for your insults.”
 
Kagome chuckled as she said, “Oh you mean that bitch that dared insult me and then challenged me for my mate? I killed her along with her father for their arrogance! So you see the lands belong to me and my mate.”
 
“Who is your mate!” yelled Hayia as his anger was still growing.
 
Sesshomaru heard enough as he came out of the forest to stand by his mate. His silver hair was glowing by the light of the half moon. He stood tall next to his mate as he addressed the arrogant demon in front of him. “I am her mate. I'm Sesshomaru, Taiyoukai of the Western Lands. I protect these lands now and you would do well to stand down and not insult my mate again. Because if you continue with your insults I will let my mate have her fun with you.”
 
Hayia had heard of the Lord of the West but he had never met him. Word had traveled back here that he has taken a mate. `Could this really be Sesshomaru of the Western Lands? No it couldn't be, what would he be doing here? He has no busy with the south.'
 
He squared his shoulders as he said, “I bow down to no dog! You are on my lands and I want you to leave and take the wench with you!”
 
That was it Kagome had been trying with all her might to hold on to her temper. This fools last insult was all she could take. She pulled her sword from her sheath as it grew in size and power. She stepped forward as she got ready to attack as she yelled, “I have had enough of your insults now die!”
 
She held Kenjikago in her hand as she raised it up over her head, when she slashed down with her sword she yelled, “HOGOSHUGO!!” (Guardian protection)
 
A powerful light came out of Kagome's sword as it rushed toward her enemy. It hit them full force as it purified half of the army that Hayia had brought with him in one strike.
 
Hayia had moved out of the way in time before the blast hit him as he saw his soldiers go down. His eyes went wide with shock as he looked at the female that had just attacked. He saw Sesshomaru pull his sword from his sheath as it started to glow with his demonic powers. His sword turned a pale blue as the energy it contained was tremendous.
 
He swung his sword across his body as the attack from Tokijin came out and destroyed about half of the soldiers that were left from Kagome's attack.
 
Inuyasha joined the fight as he held Tetsusaiga in his hand and yelled, “WIND SCAR!!”
 
The enemy was almost all destroyed with just three attacks as Inuyasha yelled orders for their soldiers to kill the rest. It was a short battle as they brought Hayia over to Sesshomaru and threw him on the ground at his feet.
 
Sesshomaru looked down his pointed nose as he stared at the fowl creature that was before him. He flexed his claws as he said in a deadly voice, “You pitiful fool. I'm a Taiyoukai you can never rival my powers. You are no longer lord to this area. When my mate takes the seat of the Southern Lands we will appoint a lord who is able to see to the peoples needs. As for you, you made your final mistake in insulting my mate. For this you will die!”
 
Sesshomaru took his claws as he beheaded the demon on the ground. He will never utter another insult towards his mate ever again.
 
Sesshomaru turned to his mate as he saw her blood red eyes. He approached as he held her in his arms to calm her as he purred.
 
Kagome immediately calmed as she brought her arms up and held her mate. She now knew what she had to face in the future as they continued toward the castle. She also understood that the closer they got to the castle the stronger their opponents would be.
 
They both turned as they were looking for their soldiers to make sure everyone was all right. They took a head count and everyone was accounted for. They turned as they went back toward the village to finally get some rest.
 
~oOo~
 
The next morning everyone was ready to leave the area. Sesshomaru was talking to the elders of the village as he told them what had happened the previous night. They were very happy to hear that the lord of that area was finally defeated and they could rest easier.
 
The group left as they continued on their journey. They stopped at villages along the way as they were turning the people of the Southern Lands in their favor.
 
Kagome had a natural talent with people be it human or youkai she cared for all. Once she played with the children from the villages they all fell in love with their new Lady. She was of a kind heart and she could get everyone working together for a common goal.
 
Sesshomaru had never seen this side of his mate before. He had kept her out of important meetings thinking that she would not know what to do under certain situations. This, he realized was a big mistake. His lovely mate was full of ideas to help the people of the Southern region.
 
They were at this one village that was in need of food for its people. The elders of the village were showing them around their lands and were explaining the difficulties they were having just keeping the food growing in the area.
 
When the rains would come there would be no problems for them. The land would drink its fill and it would flourish providing everyone with food. But when the rains were scarce that's when they had the problem.
 
The river was too far away and carrying water back to the fields to feed the plants was a task in itself.
 
Kagome was standing next to her mate as she listened to the elders concerns. She walked away as she was looking at the land. The fields were located on the low part of the land about a half-mile from the river. The land seemed to be cleared of trees for the most part so it was a clear shot to the river.
 
She started thinking on the simplest way to get the water from the river to the land in the fastest way possible. She got an idea as she went to her mate and tried to get his attention.
 
Kagome sighed when Sesshomaru was busy with business he was hard to talk to. But this was important and she didn't want to be out of place to give her ideas. She waited patiently for him to finish and once he was done she approached him and said, “Sesshomaru, may I have a word with you in private?”
 
Sesshomaru raised an elegant eyebrow at his mate. He understood that this was very important to her if she was interrupting his meeting. He called for a break in the meeting as he walked away with his mate.
 
Once they were out of ear shot from everyone Kagome turned to her mate and said, “Sesshomaru, I think I know of a way for them to get water to the fields quickly and improve on food production for this area.”
 
This statement caught his attention as he nodded for her to continue. Kagome saw that he was willing to listen as she swallowed hard and explained her idea.
 
“Well I have an idea to get the water from the river to the land in the fastest way possible. If we build a wheel and set it in the river and put buckets all the way around it the force of the water will turn the wheel making the buckets fill up and then we can make some sort of channel for the water to travel down it until it reaches the fields.
 
On the days that it rains they could block the wheel from turning so no water will come down the channel. But when we go for long periods without any rain they can set the wheel in motion and fill the channel so that the water is carried back to the field for them.” Kagome finished her explanation and looked up at her mate. She didn't see his expression change and she thought that he was mad at her for voicing her ideas.
 
She broke eye contact with him as she said in a low voice, “I'm sorry, I should have kept my mouth shut. It's not my place to give you suggestions on how to improve on your lands.” She turned to walk away from him with tears running down her cheeks. She walked about four steps away from him when she felt his tail wrapping around her waist and pulling her back to Sesshomaru.
 
Sesshomaru was shocked to hear his mate's idea on how to get water to the fields. He himself had never thought of the simple method that she thought up to move the water from the river to the fields. Her idea was sound and it would work.
 
He was brought out of his thought when he caught the scent of tears coming from his mate. He realized that his inattentiveness of her ideas made her feel guilty to voice her opinions. He welcomed her ideas, as it would make the lands more productive to produce more food for the people.
 
He reached out with his tail and wrapped it around her waist as he pulled her back into his embrace. She refused to look at him thinking that he was mad at her. He hooked his finger under her chin and made her looked at him as his lips met hers in a sweet kiss.
 
When they broke from the kiss he said in her ear, “Koiishi, I'm not mad at you and I will always welcome your council when it come to matters of the people. Your idea is perfect for their problem and I want you to present your ideas.”
 
Kagome was shocked to hear him say this for she knew that no woman in the feudal era could ever speak her mind on anything. They were supposed to stand back and let the men have all the say. For him to say that he welcomed her council, her ideas, and that he wanted her to present them to the village elders was a giant step to be more of an equal partner in their mating.
 
Kagome agreed to present her ideas to the villagers and see if they would take it. They went back to the village as the meeting continued. Sesshomaru announced that his mate had came up with an idea that would help their village produce more food for all that lived there.
 
Sesshomaru turned to his mate and nodded indicating that she should present her idea to the elders. Kagome explained as she drew a picture on the ground with a stick showing them her idea. The elders were surprised that they had not thought of this simple solution to their problem and promised to build the channel come spring.
 
They thanked their lord and lady for listening to their concern. Sesshomaru promised that aid would be coming from the west to help them through the winter.
 
Sesshomaru had the satisfaction in knowing that they walked away from a village with their problems solved and a way to make their lives a little easier. He noticed that the villagers held a little more respect for his mate as he had showed his trust in her decision to help him rule.
 
Sesshomaru continued to think as he walked next to his lovely mate. His tail wrapped around her waist to keep her close to him. `I will never underestimate my mates ability to reason or find ways to solve a problem. Her intellect knows no bounds and I know that with her next to me to help me rule, our lands would flourish and provide for everyone.'
 
Sesshomaru finally realized the type of female he was mated to. It took him a year to realize this but he will never forget this lesson. She was one of a kind and he was positive that she could rule all his lands in his absence.
 
~oOo~
 
Well that's the end to another chapter. Sorry for the delay. As you can see Kagome has proven herself to be very intelligent when finding solutions to problems. To have Sesshomaru let her present her ideas to the village elders showed how much he valued her opinion.
 
Our story will continue as they find allies along the way. It will not be an easy trip for them as they continue to battle the minor lords of the region. But a large army is about to attack can Kagome convince this new army to help her in her fight for the Southern Lands? Or will they have to fight and kill them all? You will have to wait to find out.
 
Until the next chapter!
 
Ja ne!