Mahou Sensei Negima! Fan Fiction ❯ Miscalculation ❯ Chapter 43

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

“Mistress!”
 
Chisame flinched, hearing the scream of one of her artifact servants. “What?!” she snapped. She had been deep inside the intranet of the Kansai Association, chasing a promising lead. Now, something seemed to be wrong.
 
“Something is trying to eat me!” the `mouse' wailed. Chisame caressed her artifact, murmuring the key to switch modes. Immediately, she was looking at a virtual reality of the situation. Her minions were being chased by cats, snakes and dogs. Chisame could see that these were spirits similar to the ones her artifact generated, and not `real' animals.
 
“Decoy barriers!” she ordered, twirling her artifact. Immediately, stacks of discs formed in front of her. “Deploy on primary lines,” directed the girl, the discs separating, growing and mutating as the decoys interposed between her spirits and the pursuing spirits. “Everyone out,” she ordered her spirits.
 
“Yes, mistress!” they sang in chorus. Chisame stood her ground as her minions flashed past. Her decoy barriers were being exploded one after the other.
 
“Attack barriers, three deep, viral core infection worms,” ordered Chisame, smiling thinly. Time to cut and bail, she thought. Any good hacker knows when its time to go, after all. Don't need them back-tracking me, she thought absently. “Attack barriers, set!” she ordered as the first of the opposing spirits struck at her. “virus carriers, launch!” she ordered, waving her artifact. Immediately, angry red lines began to appear, flowing backward from the barrier packets, tracing the spirits through the intranet to the magi-net of the Kansai Magic Association.
 
“Data is secured, Mistress,” her spirits informed her. Chisame nodded.
 
“We're out of here, guys,” she said, raising her artifact. Approaching her, she could see what looked like saber-tooth tigers, war elephants and bears. Time to go, she thought, smiling. “Log out!” she ordered, the virtual room winking out of existence. “Abeat,” she said, her artifact closing. Sighing in relief, she slumped back in her chair. “That was close,” she noted.
 
After taking a deep breath, she sat up and began to parse through the data she had stolen. If Chachamaru had been backing my play, we could have made their entire info-system our bitch, Chisame thought idly. As it is, I only did a hit-and-run. Maybe I will have to see if they closed any of the gaps I used later. If not, I think I will ask Chachamaru to go in with me; see if I can break their inner firewalls or not. Chisame had come to respect the gynoid after her own fight with her during Chao's little ruckus at the Festival.
 
On her PC, she was reviewing the information she and her spirits had mined out of the rival Association. She scrolled, cross-referenced and generally sorted through the information. “Not much here,” she said thoughtfully. “About the only mention of Mahora is this memo from Konoka-chan's father, about staying longer here. And over here, there is some mention of Tokyo, but…who are these people?” she wondered, picking up her cell phone. Without looking, she dialed a number.
 
After three rings, her party picked up. “Hello, Chisame,” came the cheerful voice of her fellow Wings member.
 
“Konoka-chan, are you able to talk right now?” asked Chisame, her attention on the screen.
 
“Sure, Chisame-chan,” replied Konoka. Chisame paused.
 
“Are you and Set-chan with your father or the dean?” she asked.
 
“We were just going to the bathroom,” Konoka said, her voice a little less cheerful. “Why?” she asked.
 
“Just trust me,” Chisame said, “call me when you get in the bathroom,” she added, ending the call. Two minutes later, her phone rang. She glanced at the screen as she picked up the call. “You away from any of the staff?” asked Chisame.
 
“Yes,” confirmed Konoka, sounding a little worried. “What's wrong?” she asked.
 
“I need to know who some people are at the Kansai association,” Chisame replied, “but I don't want your dad or the dean to know I'm asking.”
 
“What's wrong, Chisame?” came Set-chan's intent voice. “Trouble?” she suggested.
 
“Setsuna, glad you are in on this,” Chisame said. “I was looking into a matter, and found out some people got express tickets here from Kyoto,” she began. “Nine express tickets, paid for out of the Association's operations account.” Chisame read the names.
 
“I know five those names,” Setsuna said. “Shinmei-ryu instructors. I studied under all five of them at one time or another while I was being trained. Eishun-sama has them running the actual training program at the Association,” she reported.
 
“Senior instructors, eh?” Chisame murmured. “The other four?” she asked.
 
“I've met two of them, before I came here,” Konoka said. “At the time, I thought that they were just priests like Daddy, but now, I think they might be mages,” she said.
 
“Any idea of what they do?” asked Chisame.
 
“Sorry, I didn't know to ask when I was introduced to them,” apologized Konoka. “I could ask Daddy…” she began.
 
“No,” said Chisame and Setsuna in unison.
 
“If you ask Eishun-sama,” Setsuna explained to her Ojou-sama, “he will want to know why you are asking.”
 
“Why are we asking?” Konoka replied quietly. Chisame and Setsuna were silent for a moment.
 
“Because we might need to know,” Chisame said a moment later.
 
“Because we watch each other's backs,” Setsuna added. “Do you…understand, Ojou-sama?” she quietly asked. Chisame waited, half-holding her breath.
 
“No,” said Konoka, “but I trust you, Set-chan,” she said, her tone bright and cheerful once more. “And call me Kono-chan,” she added, her pout coming through over the line.
 
“Yes, O…Kono-chan,” Setsuna replied. Chisame smirked a little, imagining how red Setsuna's face must be.
 
“You two better finish up and get back,” Chisame said. “I've got a little work to do. Meet me tonight. I'll call you later with details,” she said, closing the call. Without pause, she dialed another number.
 
“Chisame,” her party said upon picking up the call, “what's up?”
 
“We need to talk,” said the hacker girl. “My room, now. You have any of the others with you?” she asked.
 
“Ku, Kaede, Kotaro and Natsumi,” replied her comrade. “Why?”
 
“What are you doing with the destruction duo?” Chisame wondered.
 
“Little house cleaning,” chuckled the other girl. Chisame considered that for a minute.
 
“Do you know where Eva is?” asked Chisame.
 
“She's probably at her cabin, why?”
 
“Never mind,” Chisame said. “Bring Kaede with you and get over here,” she directed.
 
“What about the other two?” wondered her fellow Wing.
 
“Let them finish cleaning your house,” Chisame said, ending the call. Thoughtfully, she tapped her phone with a forefinger. Reaching a decision, she dialed another number. After ten rings, she hung up without leaving a message on the voicemail. She dialed another number. This one, too, failed to pick up. Chisame bit her lip. Decisions, she thought, finger poised over an auto-dial number. Ultimately, she closed her phone and set it aside just before a knock came from her dorm room door.
 
-
 
“Hakase,” came a voice from behind the mad scientist of Mahora. The girl spun, something behind her fizzling and smoking as she did so.
 
“Chachamaru!” grinned the girl, “what brings you here?” she asked eagerly. Chachamaru glanced around the lab. “Don't worry; we're alone right now,” Hakase said, giving the gynoid a knowing wink.
 
“You wished to run a detailed diagnostic on my new body,” Chachamaru said quietly. “I have experienced those feedback issues again,” she added carefully. Hakase cackled.
 
“Excellent! Excellent, Chacha-chan,” the girl giddily exclaimed. “Strip,” she added, all but diving into seemingly-random pile of cables, sorting as she went.
 
“Here?” asked Chachamaru, looking around the advanced robotic labs at the Mahora university. Hakase didn't look up.
 
“Of course here,” she said, draping cables over her shoulders and neck as she sorted. Chachamaru hesitated. Hakase stood up, blinking at her. “Why are you still wearing clothes?” she asked confused.
 
“This is not a private area, Hakase,” Chachamaru began. As if to punctuate her point, the door opened, and three of the university students entered, talking animatedly amongst themselves. They were all men.
 
Spotting the two, they hurried over. “You must be Chachamaru, Hakase's main long-term project,” one of the undergrads enthused, reaching out to feel her hair. “Incredible! For being a heat-dissipation solution, this feels almost like real hair!” he gushed.
 
“And its skin feels remarkably flesh-like!” another marveled, feeling her cheek and neck. “What did you use as a base for the synthetic protein, Hakase?” he demanded, his hands beginning to unbutton Chachamaru's shirt. “And how did you make her chest modules so human-like?” he wanted to know, reaching out to touch Chachamaru's breast.
 
His hand was seized by Chachamaru's hand. “Do not touch me!” she snapped, her other hand pulling her shirt closed. Hakase heard the soft, high-pitched whine of her laser system powering up, and the flickering of blue, red and green lines in her horns meant she was about to activate her combat systems.
 
“Easy, boys!” Hakase said, motioning them back. Chachamaru released the man's hand, moving behind Hakase. “She likes her personal space,” explained Hakase. Can't have them seeing some of those weapons systems up close, the genius thought. Chao's tech is a full century ahead of theirs, and it might give them dangerous ideas.
 
“How amazing,” the professor said, stroking his chin, “she's almost like a real woman.”
 
“More than you know,” Hakase bragged. “Which means you boys would strike out with her, too,” she added, snickering.
 
“Is she malfunctioning?” wondered another of the undergrads, studying the female android. “Is that why she is here?”
 
“I am not malfunctioning,” Chachamaru stated, her facial surface temps spiking a little.
 
“Cool! It can blush!” breathed an awe-struck geek.
 
“No, no, she's just here for a routine check-up,” Hakase said.
 
“Can we assist?” asked the professor eagerly. “I would love to get a look at her inner systems,” he added, almost drooling. Hakase recalled the magic-derived heart system.
 
“No, this is my pet project,” the glasses-wearing girl declined the offer.
 
“Well, can we at least observe, then?” demanded the undergrads. Hakase considered that. Like all geniuses, she liked to impress her fellow geeks and peers. And there was no doubt that Chachamaru - the most advanced android in this or the next century - would impress them greatly.
 
“I will return later,” Chachamaru said, bolting for the door so fast that papers were blown off the desks, hanging cables swayed, and the door was reduced to splinters.
 
“Wait, Chachamaru!” yelled Hakase, waving the cables, “what about your check-up?!” There was no answer.
 
“How in the hell did you make it so lifelike?” asked the instructor. “I could almost swear it was a real woman and not a gynoid.” Hakase cackled disturbingly.
 
“I am a genius, after all,” bragged the junior-high student. The undergrads sweat-dropped.
 
“If you're a genius, why can't you remember to pick up your panties?” one of them asked under his breath.
 
-
 
Eishun looked at his father-in-law. “So, father,” he concluded his talk, “can we proceed with this plan?” Konoemon Konoe, Dean of Mahora, head of the Kanto Magic Association, stroked his beard. Assembled in his office were Eishun, nine of his men from the Kansai Association, and the core of the Mahora mage order.
 
“You are a bold one, son-in-law,” Konoemon said after a moment. “What do you plan to do if your plan fails? Or worse, backfires?” he asked. Eishun nodded.
 
“If it fails, she will be under two of the strongest barriers in this world, and will be in a poor position to fight the Associations,” he said. “I do not believe that even she could win in that situation.”
 
“Takahata? Your thoughts?” Konoe asked perhaps the most knowledgeable of his staff when it came to this subject.
 
“Risky,” the white-haired man said, “but honestly, I am not sure there is anything else to do,” he sighed. “I would say ask her directly, but if she's just biding her time, then that would be like checking a mine by stomping on the detonator. Much as I hate to say it, Eishun's plan at least offers a shield between her and the rest of the town,” he finished.
 
“Do you think she is biding her time, Takamichi?” asked Shizuna, standing by the Dean's shoulder.
 
“I don't know,” shrugged Takahata, absently toying with his cigarettes. “She has never been known for her patience, but at the same time, she spent years chasing Nagi.”
 
“Speaking of Nagi, what happens to Negi?” asked Konoemon. “You do realize that she has taken on the role of his instructor, correct? He's going to be involved no matter how this turns out,” warned the Dean.
 
The group exchanged looks. Those in the office who had encountered the son of the legend knew he was more capable than most seasoned mages. They also knew that he believed in his students, and would take long odds on them without hesitation. A few of them knew that he had not one partner, but several.
 
“Perhaps it would be best if we sent him somewhere else,” Eishun said. “Perhaps if we sent him, Konoka, Setsuna and Asuna to his father's house in Kyoto?” he suggested.
 
“Asuna,” murmured the Dean. “Her magic-canceling abilities would be very dangerous to your plans, wouldn't they?” he thought out loud. Eishun nodded.
 
“If those four were sent to Nagi's place in Kyoto - perhaps on some pretext, Father? - then the odds shift significantly back in our direction,” he pointed out.
 
“Except for one other,” Shizuna cut in. “Chachamaru Karakuri, Eva's gynoid, will never leave her side. And she has a new body whose capabilities are not understood,” warned the secretary to the Dean. Eishun shrugged.
 
“Either we deactivate her, or we make a plan to deal with her,” he said. Konoemon considered this.
 
“I will arrange for the English Culture Research Club to take a trip to Kyoto - to study Nagi's library or something,” he said. “Eva will be asked to help Takahata with a minor problem, and then you can try your plan,” he said.
 
“Won't that tip our hand, boss?” asked Gandolfini, his tone a little worried.
 
“Likely not,” Konoemon said. “I have often had her do just that, so she shouldn't think anything is wrong.”
 
“If you say so, boss,” the man said. “When do we go?” he asked. The Dean stroked his chin.
 
“I will tell Negi about the school-sponsored trip Monday,” he said. Eishun nodded.
 
“We should get ready, then,” he said quietly. The group swiftly broke up. Once the others were gone, Konoemon glanced at Shizuna, who had stayed behind. The busty woman who had served as Negi's advisor his first year watched him expectantly.
 
“This is not a good idea, and you know it,” she stated. Konoemon shrugged. “So, why are you letting Eishun do such a reckless thing?” asked the woman.
 
“It could work,” the Dean said. Shizuna rolled her eyes.
 
“The chances of that are very, very poor. Try again,” she insisted.
 
“I want to know what she is up to,” Konoemon said.
 
“You also want to live, so why are you going along with him, knowing what she can do?”
 
Konoka's grandfather steepled his fingers, looking at a photo on his desk. “I have faith in Negi, Shizuna,” he said quietly. “And I want to see if Nagi's belief was justified or not.” Shizuna pursed her lips.
 
“Sir, send me with the Wings as their chaperone,” she said, her tone businesslike. “As a school function, they will require a chaperone, and I am volunteering.”
 
“You?” blinked the Dean. “Why?” Shizuna shrugged, her significant endowment jiggling even in the strong bra she wore.
 
“Because I think having one of us along would prove wise,” she said. And maybe, I can show Eva that she isn't as good as she thinks she is, the woman thought silently. “Besides, leaving those girls alone with Negi probably isn't a wise choice,” she added.
 
“Negi wouldn't take advantage of them,” the old man said, perhaps a little sadly. Shizuna snorted.
 
“I was talking about protecting Negi from them, sir,” she said, exiting the room. “I will make the arrangements, sir.” Konoemon watched her exit his office. After a minute, he picked up his phone and dialed a number. A little insurance wouldn't hurt, he told himself.