Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ So Happy Together ❯ chapter 16 ( Chapter 15 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
So Happy Together





Shinji was still smiling as he watched his beloved and his dad walk along the long the corridor. He noticed how they both had the same way of carrying themselves, which made them seem completely unapproachable. They also had the same fluid way of walking. They didn't even have a bounce or sway in their step. It was completely straight and... fluid. It was inhuman.

<weird> Shinji turned around and started walking toward the boy's locker room. He couldn't help himself, he tried to mimic their walk. After about a minute, he gave up. It was too difficult to emulate.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rei and the commander went straight to central dogma, and to the training room. Gendo wanted to see what kind of damage she bestowed on it.

It was a long silent ride in the elevator. Earlier, he had asked her what she did to it, but she couldn't remember. (she didn't want to remember) So when the door opened...

The commander blinked. HARD.

Then pushed the door-close button and the button that took them back to the top floor of central dogma. The training room wasn't even there anymore! There was just one HUGE hole that went so deep, he couldn't see the bottom. It went so far into the vastness that he couldn't see where that ended either. He wanted, no he needed to get out of there and out of that elevator as fast as possible. He wasn't sure how the elevator was still functioning. He didn't care. All he cared about, at the moment, was getting the hell out of it before it fell into that abyss! Though he didn't outwardly express it, he was TERRIFIED!!

Rei looked guiltily at her feet.

After many more minutes of silence the commander collected his wits and asked "With so much damage, how did you spare the front side for the training room?"

Rei meekly answered. "I'm not sure... I think... I think it was spared because I wasn't looking at it when my powers surfaced."

The commander nodded. <note to self: stay out of Rei's range of vision when she's angry> "How do you feel? That was a lot of power you released. Are you tired?"

"No sir."

Gendo nodded.

The elevator door opened and the commander quickly got out. Rei followed slowly then quickened her pace to walk beside him. She wasn't sure if the commander was angry at her for what she did. That room alone with all its equipment, sensors and cloaking mechanisms cost almost 100 million dollars to build.

"Rei."

"Yes sir?" she calmly answered, even though she was afraid of his next comment.

"Can you generate that much power again?"

She took a released breath. It wasn't what she thought he was going to say. She looked at her feet, reached over her thin waist and put a death grip on he left elbow as she walked. "I.. am sure I can ...but ..I don't how I did it."

He nodded, looked down at her and smiled warmly. "Then we will have to remedy that won't we?"

She looked up at him and smiled as well, for she knew and was relieved that she wasn't in trouble.

The commander looked ahead and continued to their next destination to assess the rest of the damage caused by the *earthquake*

There were two reasons the commander wasn't angry at his favorite for what she did to the training room. Actually three, if you factor in how fond he is of her. The other two reasons are: 1) everything used to create that specially made room was made by materials that were created by NERV. The commander had branched out to not only create war toys, he also manufactured everything *needed* to create them, down to the nuts and bolts, and supplied them to other U.N. nations. It was a *very* lucrative business. It also cut his cost tremendously, for now he could requisition all the supplies he needed. So everything he used was practically free; 2) He didn't even fathom that Rei was so powerful, when they started the Tojiru Project. By her already reaching such a pinnacle in her powers, that put them almost a year ahead of schedule. No, he wasn't angry, he was pleased. VERY PLEASED.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Shinji was in the boys locker room, standing in front of his open locker and was about to destroy the tape that Rei gave him when..

"Shinji-kun!"

The boy jumped out of his skin, quickly turned around, and hid the tape behind his back. "Misato-san, you scared the crap out of me?" From behind his back, he tossed the tape into his locker and shut the door.

"Oh did I?" She gave him a nasty grin. "What were you doing?" She made a gesture with her hand as if he was giving himself a hand job.

His eyes tripled their size and he turned beet red. "NO! I was not doing that!!"

"Suuure you weren't" she teased. "Then why are you so red?"

He shook his head and grit his teeth in disgust, then yelled "How could I, Misato-san? I'm still in my plug suit!"

"I'm sure *you* could find away!" she shot back knowingly.

Shinji regressed to the way he acted before he moved in with Rei. He cupped his face in his right hand and cried out in an embarrassed tone "Please... Just leave me alone..."

She smiled. That's the third child she remembered. "Shinji-kun, I need your help to find Asuka."

He looked up at her. "She's not in the locker room?"

"No. If she was there, I wouldn't need your help to find her, now would I?"

He felt stupid for asking that question now, so he didn't respond.

"So come on." she ordered then reached into her pocket and pulled out her card swipe key. "I want you to go by my apartment and see if she's there. If she isn't, I want you to stay and wait for her there. I'm going to search for her here. If I find her, I'll call you."

Shinji was about to take the key then shook his head. "No. Misato-san. I can't do that."

"Nani?" She was completely taken aback. Shinji actually said *no*

"I don't think it's fair to Rei, if I keep going to Asuka's side every time she gets upset" he said absolutely. He found it easy to stand up for his choices when it pertained to his beloved.

The major couldn't believe her ears. "Shinji, you dated Asuka for two years!..... So you're going to just dump her like yesterday's trash because you're now with Ayanami?" She shook her head in disappointment. "Is that what she wants you to do? Just forget about us, like we never existed?"

Shinji's brow furrowed. He could hear resentment in her voice. "It not only about Rei. I already tried to comfort Asuka at the loading dock, and she took it the wrong way! She thought that I was trying to get back with her!"

"Oh... I didn't know."

"And for your information..." he growled and narrowed his eyes, "Rei saw the whole thing, and she understood. So don't you blame anything I do or refuse to do on her!"

Katsuragi was really shocked to see the boy in front of her so angry. She honestly didn't think he had that kind of anger in him. <but then again, he *is* an Ikari and what I heard about Gendo he get *very* temperamental when someone talks ill about his beloved Yui... so I guess it goes the same for Shinji and his beloved Rei> "Shinji-kun."

He looked at her through narrowed eyes, but didn't respond.

"I... It's just that you've changed so much since you've moved in with her..."

"Have I?" His tone was still sharp.

She looked kind of embarrassed to make this confession "Well,... yeah. I can tell that you're more confident and....... happy..... and just now" she gestured to him, "you took up for yourself..."

"And that's a bad thing, how?" His voice lost some of it anger.

She shrugged and pouted. "Its just that... you're not the same Shinji-kun anymore."

He didn't respond. In all honesty, he didn't know how to respond. He wasn't sorry that he wasn't the same scared and apologetic little boy of a few months past. And sure he still had a long way to go, but for her to be sad that he had grown and to be mad at Rei who helped him in that growth... He just didn't know how to respond to her confession.

She looked at him, expecting him to apologize for changing. As the seconds were quickly becoming a minute, she realized that his characteristic apology was not forth coming. <he has changed> She decided to speak "Uh.. well since you're not going to help me..." She put the key back in her pocket. "I'll just have to find her alone." She turned to leave.

"Mistato-san."

She gave him a side profile of her face. She hoped that he changed his mind.

"Wish I could help you but...." He took a deep breath and continued. "I just don't see any good that could come from it."

She didn't respond to him, she just started on her way. She was upset with him because she needed his help. She needed to find out if the second child was alright, or if the commander had taken his *punishment* on her for the fight with Rei. She had already went to the security office to get the tape, but they refused to give it to her (they didn't tell her that Rei already had it) The major was also mad at the first child, for she was sure that Rei knew what the commander would do if they got into a fight. <she was probably running to go and tell him...> *And* the major was also feeling jealous. Jealous for the fact that Shinji grew a backbone while he was with the blue haired girl. And that he was happy, truly happy with her. She and Asuka had been trying to accomplish those two things since he was 14 and she did it in 6 months. Then guilt hit her. She felt guilty because she just realized that for almost 3 years she had been lying to herself. She knew that even though she and the second child *said* that they wanted him to become more assertive... they didn't really mean it. Part of them liked that he was quick to say sorry and take the blame and that he was submissive to their every whim and order. She knew that by yelling at him, teasing him, and telling him what to do all the time that they were keeping him that way. <he must have figured that out too> Because since he moved out.. he never went back. Not even to visit. He often visited her at NERV, but he never went to her home. However, even though he visited her, most of the time he spent his free time at his apartment, with Rei or with his friends.

She sighed dejectedly. "I'm sorry Shinji-kun.... but I'll make it up to you, I promise."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Shinji had taken a long shower and was finishing up the task of getting dressed. He was lost in thought about the Souyru situation. He had been having a mental battle back and forth in trying to decide on whether or not he should look for her <maybe I should look for Asuka... she might hurt herself...> With that last thought he decided to go an look for her.

(he forgot all about the tape in his locker)

For over an hour, he searched all the places he thought she would be. He even called Hikari to see if she went over there. It wasn't until the 2nd hour of his search did he remember to search the most obvious place. He slowly and quietly went into the loading dock, and there was Asuka. She was sitting on the grated walkway, with her knees tucked close to her chest. She was sitting in front of her Eva, talking to her mom. As quietly as Shinji went in there, he left. He saw no need to talk to her. It would only cause problems. But most of all, he felt uncomfortable around her now because she confessed that she loved him. He silently closed the door behind him, reached in his pocket, pulled out his phone and dialed a number.

~~~~~~~~~~

"Major Katsuragi."

~~~~~~~~~~~

"Uh.. Misato-san... I found Asuka."

~~~~~~~~~~

"Oh Shinji-kun, I knew you would help her!"

~~~~~~~~~

"Umm. No I didn't speak to her... I just found her location. She talking to her Eva."

~~~~~~~~

The major smacked her own forehead. "Why didn't I think to look there!"

~~~~~~~~

"Sometimes, the most obvious place is the hardest to find." he commented wisely.

~~~~~~~~

"I guess you're right?..... Why didn't you talk to her? I'm sure she needs a friend right now?"

~~~~~~~~

"That's why I called you." Shinji answered without fear. "Anyways I'm not her friend. I'm her *ex* There's a big difference."

~~~~~~~~

Misato sighed. "I guess you're right again.... Shinji-kun how did you get so smart?"

~~~~~~~~

"Rei-chan." the third child admitted proudly.

~~~~~~~~

Silence.

~~~~~~~~

Shinji noticed the lack of response and said "Well, you know where she is. I better go. Ja'ne Mistato-san."

~~~~~~

"Ja Shinji." she said dejectedly.

~~~~~~

~Click~

Shinji looked at his watch. It was almost 6pm. It was almost time for Rei and his father to eat dinner. Rei had told him that no matter what, the commander and her ate at 6pm every Thursday. Shinji decided that since he was still at NERV, he was going to see where they ate. From a distance of course. He always wondered what type of table they ate at. Rei had told him that they have their food brought to them. He imagined his father having a chair that beset royalty or something of that sort and food fit for an emperor.

He got to the cafeteria a few minutes before six. The place was totally empty. <I guess everyone knows that they eat a six and don't want to be around them.> He couldn't blame them. If it was his break time he sure as hell didn't want to spend it around the boss. Especially a boss that you could swear is kin to the devil himself. Shinji decided to get a tray of food and sit at one of the booth in the back of the massive eating area.

It wasn't too much longer before Rei and his father came in. With intense curiosity, he ducked in his seat and secretly watched the two as they walked and talked to each other. He couldn't tell what they were saying, but he could tell that Rei looked stressed to the point of being sick. Though no one else would have been able to tell. <well they did say that they were going to assess all the damage she caused.... that's probably what's bothering her. > He felt sorry for his beloved. His father gestured for Rei to go in front of him. She looked around and randomly chose a table. They both took their seat, facing each other at opposing ends of the table.

"That's it?" Shinji whispered in disappointment, "They just sit anywhere?" He couldn't believe it.

It wasn't long before the 2nd commander joined them. He seemed very pleased. He made a joke and the commander laughed. Rei just blushed, but did not laugh. Shinji wished he could hear what they were talking about.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"So Rei" the professor said in a jovial voice. "It seems you got quite a temper."

The first child blushed again.

The commander looked at his favorite and smiled warmly. Rei gave a sheepish smile back.

The professor looked at the commander. "I have a team inspecting the *abyss*"

The commander nodded. "Be sure that they check for magma. That's all NERV needs, to be over run with lava."

"That's not going to be a problem." The professor looked at the first child in awe. "Somehow Rei melted the rock when she created the hole. It's as smooth as the finest marble slab."

Gendo looked at her in complete amazement. Her power was awesome. "How deep is it?"

"Don't know yet" the 2nd commander said. The excitement was clearly audible in his voice. "We're still lowering the men in there to find out. I will be notified once they hit bottom. But I can tell you this, I'm told it is as hot as hell in there, so we're figuring that the walls are holding back a magma tunnel, or the pit stops somewhere near the core."

"Gomennasai." Rei finally said.

"Don't be" the commander assured. "That just proves that we've been taking it too easy on you during your testing."

Though Rei didn't agree with his logic, she nodded anyway. After assessing all the damage she did, she really had no room to complain about anything. Not that she did anyway. But *if* she ever wanted to, she knew that she had no right.

"Anyways Rei you've saved NERV billions of dollars in man power."

"How so sir?" she asked the 2nd commander.

The professor said teasingly "Because if we ever want to expand the facilities, we now have an infinite amount of room."

The commander didn't outwardly respond, but the possibilities of the 2nd commander's statement was very enticing.

Rei felt worse because she took Fuyutsuki's statement purely as a joke.

Their food was brought to them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Shinji looked at the food that brought to them. It was the same exact thing he was eating! Nothing special, nothing special at all! He was so disappointed.

He hid in his seat and watched them eat for about 5 more minutes, then he heard..

"Shinji-kun!"

The boy almost jumped out of his skin. He turned in his seat and saw "Mistato-san! You scared the crap out of me!"

"What are you doing?" she asked

"I'm watching Rei-chan, my father and the 2nd commander eat."

She looked across the 'lunch room' and saw the trio. "Why?" She looked back at the boy.

He shrugged. "Just curious I guess."

She nodded. That seemed plausible. It wasn't like he knew anything about his father except that he was a bastard. "Shinji-kun, I was looking for you."

"You were?"

"Yeah, I wanted to tell you not to make any plans for your birthday." She purposely leaned over giving him a clear view of her breast and ruffled his hair. She couldn't help herself, she was a flirt. "I want to throw a party for you!"

"Oh thanks Misato-san." He said happily as he purposely ignored her heaving cleavage. He glanced over at Rei. "But... I think I should run it by Rei-chan first."

"Why?"

He looked into her brown eyes and said "Rei-chan might want to do something else."

"Everyone loves a good party, Shinji?" Misato said wiggling her toosh and breast as she remained leaning over him.

"Not Rei..." He looked away from her and toward his beloved's direction and froze.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The 2nd commander was doing most of the talking at dinner. He was making jokes about the hole and the first child's temper. The 1st commander was doing his best not to laugh. It killed his ribs to do so, and put him in mind numbing pain. Rei was doing her best to ignore the two and concentrate on her food. However, she couldn't find it in herself to eat. She still had on her plug suit, so she smelled like blood. And everything she ate tasted like LCL.

It wasn't until the 2nd commander abruptly stop talking did she notice that something was wrong. Kozo had suddenly become interested in his food and the commander's attention was to his left. His brow was forked angrily, and there was a heavy scowl gracing his lips. Rei slowly followed the commanders gaze and that's when she saw it. The major was seductively leaning over Shinji, playing with his hair.... HER BOYFRIEND'S HAIR and her BREAST was in his face! Normally that scene wouldn't have bothered the first child for she knew how desperate for attention Misato was. But since she just found out that they were past lovers.... What the major was doing was completely unacceptable!

Rei's eyes were burning with fury!!

Every table, every chair, and every booth in the cafeteria started to shake and rattle violently. Except her table that is.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Shinji was terrified. His father was frowning as he looked at them and Rei had just followed the direction of his dad's gaze. Immediately his beloved's eyes started to glow and everything started to shake. He had been through this before. He should have known that Rei would react like this. But then again, she was so understanding when he comforted Asuka. He batted the major's hand away and scooted away from her until the wall stopped his escape.

"Don't worry, Shinji-kun. Its just an aftershock!" Misato yelled, oblivious to that fact that even though everything was shaking, the floor wasn't. "Here, if you're so afraid I'll protect you!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Both Kozo and Gendo gave each other a terrified glance, for the fact that they both saw the hole, so they knew what her temper was capable of. The two commanders could feel her power buzz around them. It felt like it was humming through their entire body. It seemed that their table and chairs were only thing not affected in the room. They prayed that it stayed that way, and that she didn't look in their direction. ~_~

Rei's eyes widened and narrowed at the same time when she watched the major go into the booth with Shinji and continue to try an wrap her arms around him even though Shinji kept refusing her comfort.

A hexagonal wall appeared in front of the blue haired angel, then tilted to the side until it floated horizontally, and started spinning. It was a disk, a razor disk. She narrowed her eyes and it flew toward the direction of the major.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kozo's jaw hit the table. This was completely unbelievable. Her powers were completely unbelievable!!

The commander looked at his favorite. She looked like she was in a trance. He called out. "Rei!"

She didn't respond, nor did she change the direction of her gaze.

He saw the disk getting closer to the two. He didn't care so much for the major, but he was worried that that disk would kill his son. He grabbed her delicate hands and yelled. "Rei.... Stop this! I'll handle the situation!"

The first child looked at her commander and chief. She had no idea what he had just said to her. The only reason she turned in his direction was because her grabbed her hand. When she looked at him, he looked angry. She hated when he was angry at her. Her eyes returned to normal.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Shinji's eyes must have quadrupled in size as he tried to push Misato away from him. He saw the disk coming, and he didn't want to be killed by it. He tried to warn her, but he was so scared, his voice wouldn't work. He couldn't even scream.

A second before the disk would have reached them, Shinji looked at his beloved. His dad had grabbed her hands and said something to her. The disk instantly disappeared. The only thing they felt was a gentle breeze, the last remnants of her power disk. Then everything stopped moving.

"See Shinji, was that so bad?" Misato cooed. She had absolutely no idea that she was almost killed.

Before Shinji could answer, he noticed Rei get out of her seat and walk toward his direction. She looked none too pleased.

The major followed the boy's gaze. "Oh Rei, good of you to come over."

Rei narrowed her eyes at the woman.

Misato winced then sheepishly continued. "I was telling Shinji about the party I was going to throw for him on his birthday. I told him that you wouldn't mind, but he seems to think otherwise."

In her characteristic ethereal movements, Rei picked up her boyfriend's food tray and said. "He is correct. I have made other plans for that day."

"Oh" Misato said in a disappointed tone. She was about to say something else but Rei cut her off.

The first child turned around and walked away as she gently commanded. "Shinji. Come."

Shinji tried to quickly scoot out of the booth, but Misato purposely blocked his way. The boy growled "Misato-san, do you mind?" The last thing he wanted to do was to make Rei angry again.

Misato reluctantly got up. She was pissed because she didn't appreciate having her plans ruined by the pilot of unit 00. Even if she was his girlfriend. She narrowed her eyes at the girl then walked out of the cafeteria. She decided to go home and make sure that Asuka was safe.

Shinji ran and caught up with his girlfriend. His heart almost stopped once he realized where she was taking him . <I mustn't run away.. I mustn't run away.. I mustn't run away!!!!>

<I mustn't run away... I mustn't run away.. I mustn't run away!!!> The commander was about to have a heart attack once he realize where Rei was bringing his son.

The first child gently put the third child's tray on the table. He was going to sit directly across from Kozo. That meant he was going to sit directly beside his father!!!

She sat down in her seat. Shinji timidly sat in his. Gendo became very interested in his food, and Kozo just smiled at the boy. Shinji sheepishly smiled back.

The table was very quiet for about 3 long minutes. Then Gendo said to his son

"Tell no one of what transpired here."

"I... I.. I won't." Shinji said quickly.

More silence.

Then Fuyutsuki asked him. "Are you afraid of Rei now that you've seen what she's capable of?"

All eyes were on the pilot of unit 01.

The third child felt *very* uncomfortable. He shook his head "No, Rei-chan gave me that same treatment in the locker room earlier..."

The first and second commander looked at the first child. They couldn't believe their ears.

Rei quickly became interested in her bowl of ramen to avoid their eyes. She already felt bad enough. She didn't need them to add to the guilt.

"Anyways" Shinji looked at his beloved and continued "I love her too much to let her powers come between us."

She lifted her head and looked at him. She flashed him one of the brilliant, loving smiles that she only gives him in private. Shinji gave her a big @$$ grin.

The two commander had a new respect for Shinji. They honestly thought that he would be scared off by her powers.

"Rei."

The girl looked at the commander.

"We're going to have to increase your testing." He spoke in his normal dispassionate tone. "Your abilities are too powerful for you not to know how to control them."

She nodded.

"We will start on Sunday...."

She smiled. If they started on Sunday that meant she could work straight through and be caught up with all her work by Saturday night! Her smile broadened. She was completely lost in thought as she made a work plan. <I'm going to get caught up!!! YES!!>

"I'm glad you are pleased." The commander finished his orders and got up from the table. The second commander followed the first.

Kozo softly asked his friend as they walked out of the cafeteria. "Do you think she heard a word you said?"

Gendo chuckled. "Everything after Sunday was wasted breath on my part."

"How do you think she's going to take the news?"

"She's going to be pissed. She doesn't know I know, but she's running behind in her work." He pushed his glasses to a more comfortable position. "She could have used that time to catch up."

"She'll thank us later" Kozo commented. "She going to need the rest."

The commander didn't comment on that, even though that statement was true. Her AT field testing was going to be relentless until she could control her powers at will. It was imperative to the Tojiru Project that she had absolute control over her abilities.

"I am proud of my son." Gendo said in a tone that reiterated his words. "I didn't think he would be able to look past what she is or what she is capable of."

The professor nodded in agreement

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Shinji and Rei were walking to their apartment hand in hand. Shinji was ecstatic that his father gave Rei the night, tomorrow and all the way to Sunday night off. He looked at his beloved. She didn't look so happy about the news.

"What's wrong Rei-chan?"

She didn't respond.

He waited as they continued to walk.

After about a minute she answered him. "I'm too far behind in my work to take the day off." She took a deep breath. "I could have used this time to catch up with my work."

He looked down at her. "But.. you never get a day off."

"I do" she admitted. "I just have too much to do and not enough time to do it, so I never take them."

"You should take a time management course." he suggested playfully.

"You are right. I should." She nodded and looked up at him with the same playfulness in her eyes. "To bad I don't have time to take the class."

He laughed and leaned over and kissed her forehead. He knew she was going to say that. When they were almost at their apartment building Shinji asked.

"Did you tell my father about me and Misato?"

She shook her head no.

"But he knows... what she and I did?"

She didn't respond right off, then nodded.

Shinji asked another question. "He stopped you from harming Misato-san, didn't he?

<harming?... he stopped me from killing her> She didn't respond.

It didn't matter. Shinji knew the answer anyway. He saw his father say something to her seconds before the disk disappeared. "Is he going to punish her?"

<ohh yeah> Rei didn't respond.

Shinji read her answer in the shimmers in her eyes and stopped walking, making her stop as well. "Rei you can't let him to that!"

"It is not about me, Shinji." She didn't face him. "The commander is angry for her abuse of you." She released his hand and continued on her way.

"Trust me Rei, it wasn't abuse!" he said in a distressed voice as started to follow her.

Just speaking of that past event pissed Rei off. It made her wonder why he couldn't see it because somehow he could see everything else that bothered her. "You were 14 years old. She is fifteen years older than you. It is abuse whether it *felt* like it or not."

Shinji slowed his pace a bit. He could clearly hear the anger in her calm voice. "What is he going do to her?"

Rei continued her pace and didn't respond.

A sinking feeling was in his stomach. "Rei-chan will you please just answer me this question? Is my father angry like his is usually angry, or is his angry like the time he found out that Ritsuko destroyed all your.... you know... (he didn't want so say clones) and put her in a jail, then killed her when she was no longer of use to him?" He was recalling the things before the third impact, before everything changed.

"The latter" the first child answered calmly as she walked into their apartment buildings main door.

Shinji ran and caught up with her and grabbed her delicate wrist to stop her. "Rei, you've got to stop him!"

She spun on her heals to face him. Her eyes were as wide saucers as she spoke in an uncharacteristic voice that wavered with fear. "Shinji, do you know how much damage I did to NERV today?" She watched him shake his head no "Almost 200 million dollars worth... not including all the projects that where wiped out.... I am in NO position to be asking for favors from your father right now!"

"But.."

She interrupted him. "Shinji your father is *very* angry at the major right now, and it is *very* dangerous to put oneself in the way of his warpath. Even *I* know better than to try an change his mind once he is angered."

Shinji hung his head in defeat and raked his hand through his brown hair and cried "Why's he so angry? It's not like she hurt me.." He looked at his beloved. "Why does he even care anyway?!! He never gave a damn about me before!!"

In a calm knowing voice. "Believe in or not, Shinji, your father does care about you."

The boy was taken aback by her confession, but he knew she was telling the truth. Rei never lied.

In collected anger the first child continued. "And though *you* may not have known, she did. She broke the law when she had sex with you."

"Then punish her! He doesn't have to kill her!" He tried wiped away his tears. "Rei, you can't let this happen. After all she's done for us... you can't let this happen!"

Rei quirked a brow. "What has she ever done for me, Shinji? That I should risk the wrath of the commander."

He gave her a dumbfounded expression. He couldn't believe that she even had to ask "She was..." He thought hard. What *has* Misato ever done for Rei? "She is your friend...?"

Rei shook her head no. She wasn't. If she wasn't telling her what to do or trying to get information from her, the woman never said two words to her . Other than that... Rei was nothing to her except the pilot of unit 00.

"Ohh kay.." Shinji quickly tried to think of something else... but nothing was coming up.. then he remembered. "She bought you ramen before!"

Rei blinked, then calmly stared at her boyfriend and said "As I remember it, it was supposed to be a steak that I was to receive. And the reason for the treat was to be an incentive to survive, since the mission she assigned to us gave only a 0.0000000000000001% chance of success. Give or take a few zeros."

The third child's eyes tripled their size as he raked his hand over his face. He was getting the impression that Rei wouldn't help save Misato even if she could.

"Further more," Rei continued, "you and I both know that Misato couldn't care less about me. Did she even shed one tear when I died? Hmm did she, Shinji? And what did she do after she found out what I am? She treated me as if I were *nothing*. A completely, expendable, *doll*!" The first child turned around and started walking up the steps. She never thought about they way the major treated her before, but that realization made her really ANGRY.

Shinji was not accepting the truth that was just said to him. He ran up the steps past the first child and stopped her on the second floor. "Rei.. I know you won't believe this.. but Misato is a really good person. She's the first one to accept me. She's the first one to make me feel like I had a family since my mom died." He looked deep in her crimson eyes, but could tell that she was not affected by his pleas. "Rei-chan, please don't let her die.. she's like my sister!"

"A sister that you had sex with?" the girl asked in a calm smart alike tone.

He looked to the ceiling and let out a distressed sigh. "Ok my stepsister." He grabbed her by the shoulders and looked deep into her eyes and pleaded through his tears. "Rei.. I don't want to loose my family... please can you understand that... I don't want to loose my family." As he stared into her eyes and looked for something that wasn't there. He got no shimmers in her eyes to tell him what she was going to do or how she felt at that moment.

Rei looked into her beloved's blue eyes. He looked so sad. She hated to see him that way. But she had no idea what he was talking about. <family?> " I cannot understand your feelings on the matter.."

Shinji hung his head in sorrow and nodded as he cried harder. He tried his best to convince her. But she was right. Misato-san never did do anything for her. There was no reason for Rei to challenge his dad.

She took a deep breath and reached in her back pocket and pulled out her cell phone. "But I will see what I can do ...for you."

His head whipped up and he gave her a big, wet, sloppy kiss. "I love you Rei-chan!"

"And I you." She started dialing the number. "I cannot promise you that he will comply."

Shinji nodded vigorously as he happily bounced on the balls of his feet. The third child watched Rei hold the phone to her ear and began to talk.

"Commander.... (she listened).... Hai... ( she listened)...... This is in regards to major Katsuragi... (she listened)... Hai... (she listened)... Hai......"

Shinji saw her lower her head and her features darken. Something wasn't right.

One more final "Hai" and she hung up the phone. With angry gentle steps, she walked up stairs toward their apartment.

Shinji's insides felt like ice. "Wh.. what did he say?"

Without looking at him and without missing a step towards her destination she calmly said "Her life has been spared...." <in exchange for mine>

The commander had her agree to accept her destiny of becoming third commander a year earlier in exchange for the major's life. Rei wasn't even sure if she wanted to be 3rd commander yet. She was only 16 years old. She was supposed to have one more year to decided and experience the different things life had to offer before she was given the full responsibility of her position. She also *had* the option to refuse the position. No strings attached. Now that was no more. Her future was now written in stone and soaked in blood. And for who did she give up her freedom for...

<a nasty child molester... Katsuragi you better stay out of my way or I'm going to kill you!!!> The first child mentally growled as she softly stomped up the steps.

He looked up at her and called out. "Rei-chan you're the best!! I knew you could do it!!" He pulled out his phone and called Misato.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~ring ring~

Asuka crawled over to the phone and picked it up. She wasn't hurt, but her guardian told her to get down because she saw the four NERV agents get out of their car and walk into the building.

"Hello" asked a very distressed second child. She had been informed that her fight with the first child was going to cost her, her life.

~~~~~~~~~~~

"Asuka, may I please speak to Misato-san?" Shinji asked happily.

~~~~~~~~~~~

The red headed girl looked over at her roommate. The major was standing in front of the door with her gun ready to shoot any and everyone who tried to get through their door uninvited. "She's kinda of busy at the moment, Shinji."

~~~~~~~~~~

"So she *is* still alive.. that's great!" He wasn't so sure since, Rei looked so distressed. "Is she ok?"

~~~~~~~~~~~

Asuka blinked hard. "What do you mean, she's alive? You're telling me that they're after her and not me?"

~~~~~~~~~~~

"Why would anyone be after you?" the boy asked quizzically.

~~~~~~~~~~

"You mean Wonder girl didn't tell you?" Asuka asked bitterly.

~~~~~~~~~~

"Wh.. what are you talking about Asuka?"

~~~~~~~~~

She was about to tell him when Misato yelled. "Would you shut the hell up!" She was completely stressed because she knew that with the four to one odds, they didn't have a prayer. The major could hear the four men talking and coming closer outside their door. Then one of their phones rang. Some inaudible mumbling then silence. She waited for about 2 minutes then looked out her peep hole. They were gone. She slowly opened the door and pointed her gun to the left side of her door. There was no one there. She searched the hall, but the agents were no where to be found. When she walked back into the apartment, she had a dumbfounded expression on her face. She had no idea why they would just leave without finishing the *job*

Asuka walked up to her and asked with skepticism. "So where are they?" She no longer believed that her life was ever in danger.

The major shrugged.

Asuka quickly spun on her heals, whipping the major in the face with her long mane, and growled. "The idiot's on the phone for you."

Misato walked over to the phone. "Hello, Shinji."

~~~~~~~~~~

The third child was very happy to hear her voice. "Hi Misato, I just called to make sure you're alright!"

~~~~~~~~~

Asuka picked up a second phone in the apartment and spat out "Why wouldn't she be alright BAKA? And if she wasn't how the hell would you know?!!"

~~~~~~~~

Shinji was tempted to yell at her and tell her to hang up the phone.

~~~~~~~~

"Yeah Shinji, why wouldn't I be ok?" the purple haired woman asked. She didn't know of any reason why the agents would be after her.

~~~~~~~~~

"You really don't know?" Shinji was dumfounded. "Because my father found out about us."

~~~~~~~~~

"WHAT!!! HOW?" She couldn't believe her ears then she looked guiltily at Asuka because she thought the girl didn't know.

Asuka gave the major a knowing hateful glare then spat out with pure disgust. "You mean your little b*tch ran and told your father!!"

~~~~~~~~~

Shinji grit his teeth so hard they almost shattered. "Asuka, I swear sometimes I don't know what I ever saw in you!!" After what Rei just did for them.... Risking his father's rage, even though she had more than enough legitimate reasons to stay out of their mess.... He was furious!!

~~~~~~~~

Those words hurt her worse then any bullet ever could. As she fought back the urge to cry, she screamed "@#%$ you, Shinji no Baka!!" And slammed the phone down.

"Geez Asuka!!" Misato yelled as she wiggled her finger in her ear to soothe it. . She put the phone on her other ear and yelled. "Was that really necessary Shinji!! It's not like Ayanami..."

~~~~~~~~~~

"Yes it was!!" Shinji yelled back. "I'm tired of her blaming everything on Rei-chan! I'm tired of everyone blaming stuff on her! She doesn't do anything to anyone, and everyone hates her for their own stupid reasons! You think that I don't see it. That I don't see the looks and glares you guys give her when she walks by, minding her own business!! I'm not going to lie, I didn't notice it before, but I see it now! She doesn't give any of you a second thought, but all of you! All of you hate her for ..."

~~~~~~~~~~

"Hold it right there, Shinji!" Misato interrupted. "I don't hate Ayan... Rei."

~~~~~~~~~

<no you just don't give a damn about her....> He sighed dejectedly. He hated to admit it, but he knew the truth in his beloved's words. "Misato-san... I've got to go.. I just called to make sure you were ok."

~~~~~~~~~

"Wait. You didn't answer my question.... *how did* your father find out about us?"

~~~~~~~~~

"I honestly don't know."

~~~~~~~~

"Then how do you know that Rei didn't tell him?"

~~~~~~~~

He narrowed his eyes and said absolutely. "Because she told me she didn't." He could hear in her tone that she was blaming Rei too.

~~~~~~~~

Misato didn't respond to his answer, but she knew that he was telling the truth because Rei didn't lie. So the commander must have found out because of <me>

~~~~~~~~~

Shinji took her silence as disbelief. "If you must know, Misato-san, it was Rei-chan that asked my father to spare your life."

~~~~~~~~~

"I guess I'm lucky that she's his favorite...." She slapped her hand over her mouth. She didn't mean to say that to Shinji.

~~~~~~~~~

For the first time *ever,* someone saying that didn't bother him. "No Misato-san, you're lucky because I'm *her* favorite." He knew that his beloved would have let the major die if it wasn't for him. "I better go."

~~~~~~~~~

"Umm yeah... and Shinji-kun... thanks."

~~~~~~~~~~

"It's not me who you should be thanking, but I'll relay the message for you."

~~~~~~~~~~

"Thanks."

~~~~~~~~~~

~Click~

Shinji looked up at the steps. His love was probably already in the apartment. He wondered what his father said to upset her since the major was alright. At first he thought that Rei was too late, or that Misato-san was already injured. Since that wasn't the case he wondered what was wrong.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I know Misato didn't really get punished but I figured if she lost Shinji's affections that would be good enough. ^_^ Anyways I'm tired of writing angry stuff. I'm ready for the two love birds to be happy again.. aren't you?

I still don't own anything Evangelion