Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ So Happy Together ❯ chapter 21 ( Chapter 20 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
So Happy Together



With a satisfied smirk on his face, commander Ikari closed the infirmary door behind him. He couldn't help himself, he outwardly laughed. More like cackled.

"The look on her face was priceless!" He laughed even louder. "Man, I wish I could do that again!" He sighed out the last of his laugher. "At least I have it on tape."

Gendo had planned the end of his relationship on a whim. He almost didn't go through with it because the oral satisfaction he was getting from the doctor was at its all time best. He almost shucked his plan, and decided to keep her on the side to perform those services a little while longer. He laughed again because knew that what he did was a bastard's thing to do. It's just a good thing that he was a bastard, or he would feel really guilty about now.

As the commander walked down the corridor, he tried to stifle his laughter, it was killing his broken ribs.

*************************

There are two old clichés that all men should take heed to. The first being, there is a thin line between love and hate and the second is hell hath no fury as a woman scorned. These are the two sayings that the commander blatantly disregarded.

Once her *ex* beloved Gendo Ikari walked out the door, Dr. Akagi threw a furious tantrum and completely destroyed the infirmary.

"That f*cking bastard!!!!" She screamed at the top of her lungs. "How dare he use me for one last blow job before he dumped me!!" She toppled over one of the medical beds. "I hate you!! I hope you f*cking rot in hell you mother f*cking bastard!!"

Ritsuko continued with her declaration of hate until the room was in complete shambles, and she was too tired to cause any more destruction.

In complete exhaustion, the doctor fell to her knees, cupped her face in her hands, and cried the last of her soul away. She really loved him. With all her heart and soul, she loved him. And now that he had no use for her in his private life, she felt that she had nothing. He told her that it was her own fault for allowing her heart to get into . He reminded her that he was always honest with her; he never lied about where she stood with him. Which was nothing more than a easy lay. When he told her that, his words made her hate him even more. Because he was right. He never led her on... not until this last time. And the only reason he did that was because he got a sadistic pleasure in seeing people suffer. He wanted to hurt her, just because he knew he could.

Ritsuko eyes narrowed venomously. "You think you hurt me you bastard!!!" A vindictive smirk graced her lips. "You just wait! I'm going to destroy everything you hold dear!" She started to evilly cackle herself, but not in mirth, but in the satisfaction of revenge.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The elevator had finally stopped at it destination. Rei grabbed the class rep's hand and slowly walked forward.

Hikari almost tripped over her own feet as she allowed herself to be led by the first child. Rei had placed the pillow case over the girl's head so that she would not see which button she used to take them to NERV headquarters.

Actually, Rei had just remembered the destination of where the last two buttons of the elevator in her apartment building led to. The first child was starting to realize that her interactions with people was helping her regain the lost memories of her other lives. She used to think that with each life she got a clean slate, a fresh start to build new memories. But that wasn't the case. She had multiple bodies but one soul. One soul that imposed all the memories of all her lives. She just needed encouragement to find those lost memories. So when people talked about the past, she wanted to know what they were talking about and that forced her to uncover her lost memories and talents.

"Rei, could you not go so fast... I can't see, remember?"

"I am well away of your present visual situation." Rei slowed down the pace of her walk to a crawl.

She had taken Hikari to NERV so that she could use the accurate resources in the headquarters infirmary. She still had the girl's eyes covered because NERV was absolutely off limits to civilians. Hikari was not allowed to see what NERV looked like, not even the hallways. And for that reason, there was a small chance that Rei could get in trouble for bringing Hikari down there. Small being the operative word; since she was the third commander. And the only ones with the authority to punish her were Gendo or Fuyutsuki, and the odds of that were highly unlikely.

As they walked, Hikari kept tripping over her own feet or over Rei heals. Because the first child was so preoccupied with keeping Hikari from falling, she literally ran face first into the commander's chest as they turned the corridor corner.

She was not having a good day, so instead of apologizing for *her mistake* Rei gave an annoyed looked at her person who *ran into her*.

Gendo looked down at *his little girl* and smirked when he saw her displeasure. Her frown made him proud as so did the fact that she didn't apologize for her error. <ahhh ..she's just like me>

Rei froze when she realized that the person she was frowning at was the commander. She decided that she needed to control her anger before her displacement got her into trouble. "Excuse me, sir." She walked around him, bringing the class rep in tow.

The commander quirked a brow and he saw the person, girl so it seemed by the shape of its figure, whos top portion of his/her body was hidden under a blue and white striped pillow case.

"Rei?"

She stopped and turned to face him. Hikari walked into the first child's back before she stopped too.

The commander didn't say anything.

But Rei understood in nonverbal question.

Now the first child and the commander had an unnaturally honest relationship with each other. Lying was beneath them, for it was the last resort that was only used by cowards. However, their honest discussions only depended on if a question were asked. Thus creating a don't ask/don't tell, unspoken agreement in that relationship. Therefore, information was rarely volunteered without being asked first. But since he asked, Rei volunteered the honest info.

"Hikari Hokari believes she is pregnant. However, the test to she used to confirm her assumption was in error. Therefore, I am taking her to the infirmary to use our accurate testing equipment to find out whether or not what she believes is truth."

If anyone could have seen Hikari's face underneath that pillowcase, they would have seen that her jaw had unhinged itself and was lying limply against her chest. Her eyes had also widen so far that her eyeballs were just barely staying in her eye sockets. Any subtle movement would make them roll and fall out. They would have also seen that her skin was now an undiscovered shade of red. The class rep mentally prayed to any and every god who would listen to her <just swallow me up.... I can't believe she just told my secret...>

Gendo looked at the girl under the pillow case then back to his favorite. He nodded and said. "Make it quick." then continued on his way. As walked away he mentally added <I like your hair like that my little Rei.. it looks like a curly blue mop... or maybe a little blue afro is a better word for it?>

Rei let out a relieved breath and continued on her way with the class rep in tow. Though she was pretty sure that she would not get in trouble for bringing Hikari into NERV, there was always the chance that the commander would be in one of his very angry moods and being the favorite wouldn't save her from being reprimanded for her actions.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Just as the first child and the class rep finished the long walk to their destination and turned the handle of the infirmary door, the commander's insides turned to ice. He was worried about his *daughter* He purposely hurt Dr. Akagi when he broke off their relationship. He didn't want the doctor to take out her anger on Rei. It wouldn't be the first time that *a Dr. Akagi* took out their hate for him on his beloved *little girl* The commander turned around and changed his destination.

A lot of things said about the commander were true. Yes, he was a bastard. And yes, he could kill someone with a smile on his face, and without batting an eyelash. However, the one thing that wasn't true was that he didn't care. Well that was sorta true too. He could care less about the world, but he cared about his family, Yui, Rei, and Shinji. Yes, even Shinji.

Harming his family was the only way anyone could hurt him. He learned that lesson all to well when Yui died. He felt like he died that day. Actually, Gendo did die that day. The man that is now, is not the man that once was when unit 01 took his beloved wife away from him. When he found out that Shinji was there, and actually saw what happen to Yui, he became terrified that his son may be absorbed by one of the meckas as well. Unit 00 still didn't have a soul. The commander came to the conclusion that NERV was too dangerous a place for his son to be. The only reason Shinji was allowed to accompany his parents to work in the first place, was because of the death threats Gendo was receiving from SEELE. He couldn't trust anyone to take care of his son while they worked. So they brought Shinji with them. But Gendo and Yui found out the hard way that inside or outside of NERV, it was too dangerous a place for their child. And once Yui was taken, Gendo couldn't risk Shinji's life as well, so he had him secretly moved away with trusted NERV agents that took care of him as his guardians. Even though Shinji still believes that he was abandoned by a heartless father who couldn't give a damn. During that time, Gendo made sure that Shinji had anything he wanted. But materialistically, Shinji wanted nothing. Except his SDAT and a bike. Gendo grimaced when he thought about the bike. What Shinji *wanted* the commander couldn't give him. He had lost to much of himself when Yui died to be the type of father Shinji needed, and it was too dangerous to bring his son back at that time. When Shinji did come back to Tokyo-3, too much time had passed and he refused to live with his father. It upset the commander, but it was a blessing in disguise. SEELE'S hatred for Gendo was at an all time high. So it was better to allow the world to believe that he didn't care for the boy. Thus eliminating him as a target to hurt, or get back at Gendo. There is no value in a hostage that doesn't matter, or appeared to not matter to the hated Ikari. It was a pretense the commander hated to keep up because it made irreparable damage to their relationship or lack there of, but he had to. Shinji had made it clear that he didn't want to live with his father or be around him. That worked out for the best too. Because of the boy's rebellion, Shinji was treated with a type of kindness and compassion from his subordinates that they didn't bestow on Rei; even though, both of his *children* had very similar submissive and introverted personalities. So the commander had to continue to be the bastard to his son. He'd rather do that, then have his son murdered in cold blood for being a relation to him. Gendo already had to keep Rei with him at all times to make sure she was safe.

Rei... He unconsciously smiled at the thought of her. She was the *daughter* that he and Yui would of had if his wife had not been taken by unit 01. Yui wanted a little girl, a sister for Shinji. They had planned to conceive her that very night. But it was never meant to be. So with the last of his wife's remains, the commander fulfilled her last wish.

The few that knew about Rei's clones, still wonder why he made so many. It wasn't like he planned on the child ever dying. He hoped she didn't, but just in case she did, he could bring her back. No matter how many times, he would always bring her back. No matter if her death was so extraordinary, like when she destroy herself, her eva and most of Toyko-3, the commander would always bring her back. Even if the repercussions of doing so fell on his shoulders. Gendo couldn't deal with the thought of ever losing another person in his family. Not to death. That was one of the main reasons he didn't send her away as well, during the tender years of her life. He could bring her back, but he couldn't bring back Shinji. However, now, he wished he did. The worst thing in a parents life is to see the lifeless body of their child. When he found Rei's tiny body, her crimson eyes frozen in fear and betrayal... bruised around her tiny neck telling the story of her slow and painful death.... The commander growled and quickened his pace as he walked to the infirmary. As he walked he continued to remember the past.... When he brought Rei back to life, she was not the same happy little girl. She was had become completely introverted. Afraid to speak to anyone other than him, because speaking was the reason she was killed.

Because of everyone's hate for him, and they way she died the first time, the commander taught her to keep her distance from people. Though he never told her that was the reason. He still wondered if that was her reason for not speaking as much as she did when she was a little kid. That was why Rei II didn't speak to anyone other than him. However, his little Rei, now, didn't seem to remember that death, and he hoped she never did.

Gendo eyes narrowed angrily as he turned the corner. If Akagi was attempting to do what he thought she was doing, she was a good as dead.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Shinji had just made it upstairs and to his apartment. The third child had never ran so fast in his entire life. Not even for Angel attacks.

"Rei!" He swiped his card and thrust opened the door and cried out. "Rei-chan... I'm so sorry!"

No one was home, but he frantically ran around the apartment looking for her anyway. After checking all three rooms and every possible place she may fit in if she were hiding from him, Shinji fell to his knees and cried into his hands.

By that time, Touji had made it to the apartment. The fourth child was out of breath. "What is going on Shinji?" He walked over to his friend, crouched down beside him, and waited for him to answer.

About five minutes passed before the third child was able to sob out. "Rei...... (hiccup) .Rei... (sniff sniff).. Rei dumped me!" He broke down even more and curled into a fetal position.

Touji gave his highly distraught friend a very confused expression. "What are you talking about? You guys were so happy yesterday!"

Shinji only cried harder.

Suzuhara didn't now what to do for his friend. All he could do was watch his friend shed all his male machoness as he laid on the floor and cried like a baby. However, because of the way Shinji was acting, he new that his friend declaration of not wanting to *live* without his beloved Rei-chan was the absolute truth.

Touji walked over to the kitchen counter and picked up Shinji's phone and called the third stooge.

~~~~~~~~~~~

~ring ring~

"Whatcha want Shin-man?"

~~~~~~~~~

"Baka! That is no way to answer the phone!"

~~~~~~~~~

"Touji?.." Aida looked at his caller id. "What are you doing using Shinji's phone.....?"

~~~~~~~~~~

Suzuhara was about to answer but was interrupted by Aida.

~~~~~~~~~

"Is that Shinji I hear crying?!!!" Kensuke started to yell. "I swear, Touji, I'm going to kick you @$$ if you......"

~~~~~~~

"Shut up Aida!" Touji scoffed back. "You and I both know that the only @$$ you can beat is your boyfriend's.. and that's only because he likes it."

~~~~~~~~

"I_AM_NOT_GAY!!!!"

~~~~~~~~~

Suzuhara chuckled. He knew his friend wasn't gay, but he loved teasing him about it. Then Shinji wails brought him back to his task at hand. "Kensuke... I need your help."

~~~~~~~~~

Aida growled defiantly. "I'm not going to help you! You butthole!"

~~~~~~~~~~

"You wish!" Touji laughed. He couldn't help himself, his friend left himself wide open. "Anyways, it's not for me Baka! It's for Shinji!"

~~~~~~~~~

"Oh... what does *Shinji* need?" <I swear Suzuhara one day I'm going to kick your @$$>

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I..... He needs you to find Ayanami. And when you do, tell her that it is important that she speaks to Shinji."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Is that it?" He asked sarcastically. "Why don't you ask me to find the lost city of Atlantis while I'm at it!... She probably at NERV!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"She's not!" Touji growled. "Remember Shinji telling us that the commander forbade her from going there until...."

~~~~~~~~~

"Today..." Aida finished the boys sentence. "Like I said she's probably at NERV!"

~~~~~~~~~

Touji growled. "Look, if you want to help Shinji, you will get off your lazy @$$ and find his girlfriend!"

~~~~~~~~~

"Why?"

~~~~~~~~~~

Touji whispered in the phone. "Because he thinks that Ayanami dumped him..."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"WHAT?!!!" He couldn't believe his ears "But they were so happy yesterday!"

~~~~~~~~~

"I know... Something must of happened between now and then.. So will you find her, for Shinji..." Suzuhara started to whisper again. "I'm.... worried about him."

~~~~~~~~~~

Aida could hear the fear in his friend's voice as well as the distraught wails of his other friend "Yeah, I'm on it."

~~~~~~~~

"Call me at this number if you find her."

~~~~~~~~~

"Will do."

~click~

Aida turned in his swivel chair and cut on his computer. He knew that he could probably be *erased* for going into NERV's entry logs to find out if Ayanami was there, but he had never heard Shinji cry like that before. It was even worse than that time Shinji rescued he and Touji from that one angel, and was screaming and crying like a mad man. So breaking into NERV's entry logs was a chance that he was going to have to take. He intertwined his fingers and cracked his knuckles. "I like living on the wild side anyway."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Touji hung up the phone and walked back over to his friend. He crouched down and said in the friendliest voice he could muster. "Shinji don't worry. Aida is looking for Rei now. I'm sure you guys will work this all out." <I hope>

Shinji looked up at his friend and cried harder. <how could I have been so STUPID!!>

**************

<what in the world happened in here?> When Rei opened the door to the infirmary she was completely shocked by the mess. However, besides her left brow being raised in a curious manner, she didn't outwardly express her astonishment. She looked expectantly at the doctor, who was sitting on the floor, for an explanation to why the room was in such disarray.

Ritsuko narrowed her eyes at Ikari's favorite. She hated the girl, even more so now. "Yes Rei, what do you want?" Her tone was so sharp it could cut steel.

Rei tugged on Hikari's arm; the girl clumsily walked forward.

Ritsuko eyes widened then narrowed when she saw the hooded girl. The doctor scrambled to her feet and spat out. "You know it is against regulations to bring civilians into NERV!"

"Yes, I know this." Rei said in her sweet calm voice. "But I have made an exception for Ms Hokari."

Ritsuko raised a brow in mock interest and pure disdain. "Oh you did, did you?"

Rei did not repeat her answer.

With a sadistic pleasure, the doctor informed the pilot of her future plan. "I wonder what the commander would say when he finds out that you brought unauthorized person into NERV headquarters?"

"He already knows" Rei admitted calmly. "I informed him of the reason for Ms Hokari presence in NERV when I passed him in the hall."

"Of course you did." Ritsuko retorted with knowing bitterness. <you're his %*^*ing favorite you don't have to follow the rules!!>

Hikari could clearly hear the animosity in the doctor's tone. She just hope that the woman speaking to Rei was not the one who was going to be doing the pregnancy test on her.

Through grit teeth the doctor spat out "What do you want, Rei?"

Rei paused before she answered. She as already in very bad mood. Ritsuko was tempting her to go third commander on her @$$. Once she calmed herself, the first child answered in her calm voice. "I want you to give Ms Hokari a pregnancy test."

A squeak of fear came from the girl under the pillow case. Dr. Akagi was the last person the class rep wanted to have her test taken by.

"If she wants a pregnancy test, she can buy one at a drug store."

"I already did that ma'am. It came out purple" the class rep meekly admitted.

"Well I'm sorry about fallacy in your test" she lied. "But this is a NERV facility, for NERV employees .."

Rei interrupted the doctors rejection of her services. "The commander approved her test."

"Of course he did" Akagi retorted bitterly and turned away from the two girls to get the supplies need for the test.

If Ritsuko was looking, she would of noticed Rei use her AT field to clear a path on the floor, toward one of the beds that weren't turned over. It was as simple manipulation of her powers, so she was able to do it without incident. So the angel hoped.

When the two made it to the bed, without incident, Rei decided to keep the make shift hood on the class rep's head. The mess embarrassed the first child. The room was utterly destroyed. She also couldn't have it leaked out that the NERV's infirmary was unsanitary.

Hikari sat on the bed and patiently waited for the doctor to give her her test. Rei kept her eye on Ritsuko. She didn't trust her, or her intentions.

Ritsuko retrieved everything she need for Hikari's pregnancy test and a little something extra. She put every thing on a tray and smirked evilly, she then composed herself, turned around, and walked toward the two girls.

"Okay Ms Hokari, hold out your arm. I'm going to need to get a blood sample."

Hesitantly the class rep did as she was told. She was surprised that the doctor didn't include any unnecessary pain when she withdrew her blood. By the way the woman spoke to Rei, she seemed like the wicked witch of the west.

Ritsuko then put the blood in a beaker and poured a clear solution in it. "This test will only take about five minutes before the results are known. The fallibility of this test are nil. If it shows that you are pregnant then you are."

Under the pillowcase Hikari nodded.

Rei did not respond.

That evil smirk graced the doctors lips again as she informed the pilot of unit 00 of something. "Rei did you know that you are behind in your shots.?"

"No. I was not aware." the first child answered calmly.

"Now you do." She picked up a syringe off the tray and walked toward Rei. "I'll catch you up, while we wait for *Asuka's* friend's results."

Rei looked at the woman, then nodded and sat beside her friend on the bed.

Ritsuko gave the girl a warm smile and took that extra syringe filled with, animal fat, and walked over to the first child. She was going to get back at Gendo. She was going to hurt him where it would hurt him the most. Like her mother before her, she was going to kill his precious little girl. Only this time Rei wouldn't be able to be brought back. She's had this planned for years. If Gendo ever broke it off with her; she was going to get back at him by killing Rei. She wanted to hurt him for all the times he hurt her. She knew it would mean her own death, but that didn't matter. Only revenge mattered.

Rei gave the doctor her usual mask of indifference, but she knew something was up. Ritsuko never smiled at her. So when the doctor tried to give her her shot, Rei shielded her arm with a AT field as small as the head of the needle on the syringe.

<sh*t it broke> The doctor was pissed that the needle broke, but she wasn't swayed. She had many others. "I'll be right back Rei. I need to get another needle."

"A needle for what?" asked a cold cruel voice.

Ritsuko froze in fear, then composed herself before she turned to the voice.

Rei passively watched the doctor try to weasel her way out of the present situation.

Gendo glared hatefully at her.

Hikari just sat there, feeling uncomfortable in the eerie silence.

Ritsuko swallowed hard. "I was getting another needle so that I could give Rei a shot.." <It's always best to go with the truth..>

"A shot for what?" the commander demanded to know cruelly. He knew that she was up to something. And that something was to harm Rei.

"I've checked her last physical reports and she's behind in her shots. I was going to update her as we waited for *Ms Hokari's* pregnancy test." The doctor stressed the class rep's name just in case the commander didn't realize the girl under the pillow case was a civilian and still in the room. Hikari was her only chance to survive this.

"What is in the syringe, Akagi?" Gendo demanded to know as he shifted the bottom of his jacket so that she could see his gun.

Rei passively watched, as the two conversed. She could tell that her guardian was angry enough to kill the doctor. However, she didn't think he would do actually do it, because Hikari was in the room.

Ritsuko caught the hint that the commander threw at her, when he flashed his gun. She took a deep breath and said as she glanced at Hikari "That is classified." Her gesture to the class rep made it seem like the doctor was trying to give Rei something other than her death sentence.

Gendo brow forked angrily. He knew that she was trying to manipulate the situation under NERV pretense. Her taking him as a fool, made him even more angry. Gendo also know that he needed her for the project, but her attempt to harm Rei was unacceptable. The commander reached into his jacket and pulled out his gun.

Rei's eyes widened when she watched her guardian point his gun at Dr. Akagi. She didn't know what to say. But she knew that they still needed the doctor for the project *and* there was a civilian in the room. There would be a witness!!! Not that she wouldn't be a witness, but ever since she was a little girl, he took her everywhere. She had seen him kill lots of times. Rei swallowed hard and said "Commander."

The commander cocked his gun.

Hikari heard the click of his gun and tensed up.

Rei continued. "Has five minutes passed since Hikari had taken her test?" <what the heck am I talking about?!!>

Gendo shifted his gaze to his favorite. He had no idea why she would say that. How the hell would he know; he wasn't in there when the girl took the test. <the girl> He withdrew his gun and placed it back in his harness. In his anger he forgot all about her. He warningly growled at the doctor.

Rei outwardly exhaled.

As so did Akagi. Rei had saved her life but that didn't thwart her from her plan of revenge. She would hurt Gendo if it was the last thing she'd ever do.

Ritsuko looked at her wrist watch. More than five minutes had passed. She turned to the beaker that held Hikari test. She saw the color change. She took a deep breath, exhaled and slowly shook her head.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Touji had finally calmed Shinji down. He couldn't believe how upset the third child got. <I mean really.. this is only their first breakup... everyone knows that the first break up is never final!!... sheesh..>

Shinji was still hiccupping, as he tried to hold back his tears. "Are you sure?

"Yes.. I'm positive" Touji assured. "Hikari-chan has broken up with me hundreds of times!"

Shinji continued to hiccup as he listened. He looked like a lost child as he sat on Rei's bed, with his face a flushed and his shoulders rising and falling every time he hiccupped to hold back his tears.

"Just think about it..." Suzuhara gestured to his friend "How many times did Asuka break up with you when you guys dated?"

"Once." The third child sniffed. "Remember *hiccup* it happened in school.. *sniff* the same day I moved in with Rei-chan..." Shinji started to cry again.

<wow!!.. only once in two years!> Touji left his thoughts and tried another tactic to assure his friend. "Ok how many times did you try to break up with her?"

Shinji looked at his friend and cried out. "A lot... *hiccup* but I meant every time... *sniff*... she just wouldn't let me go!!." He sobbed harder.

"Oh..."

The fourth child was finding out that comforting Shinji wasn't as easy as he hoped. Luckily for him the phone rang.

~ring ring~

~ring ring~

Touji ran to the kitchen to answer it. "Mooshi mooshi"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Touji, I just checked the entry logs for NERV and I was right! Rei went to work. She used a private entrance.. I'm assuming the elevator in her building."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"That's great!" Suzuhara said with hope in his voice. Hope that Ikari and Ayanami will work out their differences. "I knew you could do it!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Thanks!" Aida was surprised to get a complement from his friend.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Yeah... well.. don't let it go to your head."

~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Hmph" Aida listened to the background noises. "Is Shinji STILL crying?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Yeah" Touji admitted in a embarrassed tone. "He did stop for a while though."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Ayanami must really mean a lot to him."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"You have no idea." Touji tuned and looked at his distraught friend and absently sighed out. "You have_ no_ idea."

~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Then go tell him where she is before she leaves or something.. so they can work out whatever went wrong!" Aida was really worried about his friend.

~~~~~~~~~~~

"Yeah.. I was about to..." Touji almost hung up then remembered to say. "Thanks again."

~~~~~~~~~~~~

"No problem."

~click~

Aida looked at the clock. His eyes widened. If he didn't hurry up he was going to miss *running into* his dream girl at Tokyo-3 park. Kensuke scrambled to his closet and took out his running suit. He didn't even like running but it was a small price to pay so see his true love.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

When Suzuhara hung up the phone, he walked over to Shinji who was lying on Rei's bed and cradling her pillow in his arms. "Ikari.."

The third child didn't respond.

"Shinji, Aida found Ayanami.."

Shinji perked up and turned around.

"She's at NERV... If you leave know you can probably meet her there."

Shinji sort of deflated when he was told where she was. Touji didn't know this but NERV headquarters spanned across the entire Tokyo-3 and beyond, not to mention the lower levels. All of which, Rei had authorization to go. She wasn't a lowly pilot like they were, who were restricted to only go certain places. She was the third commander. She could go anywhere. Finding Rei in NERV was like finding a needle in a hay stack.

"Come on man!" Touji yelled. "What are you waiting for?"

Shinji sat up in the bed, nodded and got up.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The elevator had just closed, when Hikari rounded the corner on the first level floor and yelled and waved to get the boys' attention. "Hey were you looking for me!"

Touji turned around completely shocked to hear his girlfriend's voice. "Hey sweetness, what are you doing here?"

"And why do you have one of Rei-chan's pillow cases?" Shinji was surprised to see her too, but he was even more shocked to see what she held in her hand.

"Because I was just with Rei." she said sweetly.

"When?" the boys yelled out.

She took a step back. "Uh... Just now. I just came from NERV."

Both boys gave her a skeptical expression. They worked for NERV and they knew that civilians were not allowed to enter the headquarters.

"I did!"

Same expression from the boys

"I can't believe you don't believe me!" She angrily put her hands on her hips. "I _just_ left_ NERV!!" She angrily gestured to the hallway and the wall that concealed the elevator.

Shinji now believed her; he leaped forward and grabbed her shoulders. "Where's Rei-chan?" He knew that there was no way that anyone could use the elevator without Rei's presence in there. It was a type of safety mechanism. So not even he could use it without her..

His urgency shocked the class rep. "Uhh... she went back to NERV.." With her thumb she pointed toward the hallway and the elevator. "The commander wanted to talk to her about the location of their special project."

The third child released his friends girlfriend. "Rei-chan told you this?" Shinji asked in an amazed tone, since she never talked about her work with him. He was also a little jealous for the same reason.

"Uhh.. no. I kinda overheard your father say that to her."

"Oh." He nodded. That made everything better.

"So why did she take you to NERV?" Touji asked curiously.

Hikari looked at Shinji, then back to her love, then back to Shinji, and back to her love. She didn't want to tell her business in front of the stooge.

Touji didn't get the hint.

And she realized this as looked at him, and as he looked back at her expectantly for her answer. "It's kind of a personal matter." She raised her eyebrows so that he could get the hint.

Suzuhara blinked. He still didn't catch the hint she was throwing at him.

"Is it about the baby?" Shinji asked knowingly.

Hikari's eyes could have fell out of her eye sockets for a second time today. "You told Shinji, Touji-chan?!"

The fourth child shrank into himself and admitted in a meek voice "Well... yeah."

She rolled her eyes in disgust. "I thought we agreed to keep this our little secret!!"

In an even meeker voice he said. "I'm sorry sweetness."

She rolled her eyes and shook her head. "I can't believe you!"

"So why were you at NERV?" Shinji asked again in an irritated fashion. He was having a bad day; he didn't want to deal with their bickering.

"Oh... " She giggled then admitted in a embarrassed tone. "Rei took me to the infirmary so I could take a pregnancy test."

"YOU TOLD TOO?!!" Suzuhara growled "Why were you getting all mad at me?!"

"Because I'm sure you told first!" she pouted cutely.

Shinji new about the test coming out purple. He looked at Touji who looked worried about the result of the test, but Shinji could tell that she was in too good a mood for it to come out positive. It was weird how he was now so in tuned with every minute detail.

"So what did the test say?" Touji sounded like he was going to have a heart attack.

Hikari giggled. "It looks like the new birth control I'm taking stopped my period, and has something in it the made the test have an error."

"....." Touji was too stressed to know what she meant by that statement.

Shinji rolled his eyes at his friend imperceptiveness.

Hikari gave her boyfriend a brilliant smile as she waited for him to figure it out.

After a few more seconds it finally came to him. "WE'RE NOT PREGNANT!!"

"Nope!" She giggled as he wrapped his arms around her waist and spun her around.

"Thank GOD!!!" he yelled in pure relief, then showered her face with butterfly kiss.

Shinji smiled. He was happy for his friends. When their kisses became more passionate, very passionate the third child said. "Isn't that what got you guys in this mess in the first place?"

The two quickly parted in embarrassment.

"Gomen, Shinji." Hikari said as she lowered her head.

"Yeah.. sorry.. we got a little carried away." He scratched the back of his head. "You have no idea how stressed we were."

<then learn from your mistake. don't repeat it> Shinji nodded then asked. "Hikari, did my father say how much longer they would be at NERV?"

She shook her head no. "But your dad did tell her to stay away from D. Akagi... and for you to too."

Shinji eyes widened "*He* told you that?"

The class rep blushed. "No... but I kinda heard him." She looked Shinji in the eyes "He kept forgetting that I was there."

Shinji nodded knowingly. "He does that to me to."

Shinji doesn't know that his father knows very well when he's around. He's just too much of a coward to speak to his son.

Shinji tilted his head to the side and wondered. "I wonder why he wants us to stay away from Ritsuko?"

As the three teens walked out of the building , Hikari told them what happened in the infirmary. Well, what she heard anyway.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Hey watch out, you @$$hole!!" screamed a female voice.

Kensuke ran a little faster toward the person yelling. He knew that voice; it was his dream girl. When he finally got to her, he found her off of the running path and sitting on the grass. "What happened?" he panted.

She looked up at him and growled. "Some jerk-off in a black limo ran me off the path!"

Kensuke reached out his hand and helped her up. "Are you ok?"

She dusted herself off then blushed when she looked into his worried eyes. "Uhh.. yes."

"Are you sure?" he asked again.

She bit her bottom lip and blushed even more and nodded.

About of a minute of hormonally, electrifying silence passed before she held out her hand and said

"You're Kensuke Aida right?"

He blushed and nodded. He had no idea she knew who he was. Clumsily he shook her hand.

She gave him a flirtatious smile. "I've seen you around."

Dread built up in his stomach. He hoped that she didn't know that he had been stalking her this whole year.

She saw the fear in his eyes and dread consumed her insides. She hoped that he didn't know that she had been stalking him this whole year. She didn't even like running. She only did it so that she could *run into* him.

"Umm.." She sheepishly continued "I'm Kimiko Gookabano"

"I know" he sighed out in awe before he could stop himself.

She gave him a brilliant smile. She didn't even know that he knew that she existed.

Then something she said made a flash light go off in Kensuke's brain. "Did you say black limo?"

She narrowed her eyes and nodded.

Did you happen to catch the license plate?

"I sure did!" She growled. "It said Ono-sama!!" (demon king)

Kensuke was ashamed to admit. "That was my friend's dad's limo."

Her eyes widened.

Aida was torn between wanting to know why the commander was in the park and staying with his dream girl.

"That was Shinji's dad?" She turned and looked in the direction of the automobile.

"Yeah." Kensuke didn't even notice that she knew exactly who he was talking about. She was an even better stalker than him, because he had no clue who her friends were.

"I wonder why the commander's here?" She looked back at the boy with a mischievous glint in her eyes. "Wanna find out?"

Kensuke blinked then nodded vigorously.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"What do you mean she's not here?!" Touji asked Shinji, as the pilot he came out the NERV entrance/exit "You didn't even look.." He gestured to the entrances. "You were in there what?... Five minutes!!"

"I don't have to look." Shinji said as he raked his hands in his hair. "All I have to do is ask. She has given me authorization to know her location while she's in there."

"What?" Touji quirked a brow "*Ayanami* has given *you* authorization.... what is she.." He joked out "...Third commander?"

<you have no idea how right you are> Shinji just rolled his eyes, then he looked at Hikari. "Are you sure my dad said they would be *leaving* at seven. And not her just going to work.

The class rep nodded. "That what I said he said."

"SH*T!!" The third child turned and punched the metal wall leaving a dent in it. "I'm going to f*cking loose her!! She's going to leave for only god knows how long, and she's not going to even talk to me when she comes back!!"

"You don't know that for sure!" Hikari tried to say comfortingly. "I'm mean, she didn't even say anything about you guys breaking up. I didn't even know until you said something."

Shinji shook his head. "Rei has a tight reign on her emotions around everyone expect me and my dad. I wouldn't expect her to show her sorrow or tell about her personal business. That's just not her."

"Well you don't know that she won't talk to you.. I mean you guys do live together" Touji added. "She has no choice. You guys only have one room!"

Shinji looked and his bloodied knuckle; the pain didn't even bother him. It was nothing compared to the loss of Rei. "I know her remember... She's going to move out...... She'll have NERV agents get her stuff or she'll start anew.." He glared angrily at Touji "And don't tell me that she won't speak to me!... I can count on one hand how many times she talked to me before I moved in with her... She's a master at ignoring people!!" The third child tilted his head back, look toward the heavens and screamed "Dammit Rei, I'm sorry!!"

Touji and Hikari eyes widened in shock as they watched Shinji's emotions move from sorrow to an enraged despair. His anger because of the loss of his love was frightening.

<he's just like his father> Touji mentally whispered to himself and only to himself.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"What are they doing?" Kensuke asked Kimiko as the hid in the bushes.

"They're probably choosing this place as their next entrance for NERV."

"Nah, they can't this is a government owned park." Kensuke whispered.

"No it isn't." the girl said knowingly, as she kept her eyes on the three figures. "This park is owned by a dummy company called the Ray of Hope foundation that is branched off NERV."

"WHAT?!!" Aida said a little to loudly.

Both teens ducked behind the bushes when the three figures turned in their direction.

"But the Ray of Hope Foundation is responsible for the beautification of Japan. " Aida whispered knowingly "It's not a dummy corp."

"I'm not saying that it doesn't do good things for our country but... it's still affiliated with NERV, so I'm sure it up to something."

Kensuke shook his head no. He didn't believe her "The Ray of Hope Foundation has rebuilt houses and cities that have been destroyed by Angel attacks and the .." It finally dawned on him ."Evas... How did you find this out?!"

She gave him a proud smirk. "I hacked into a couple of files."

<where have you been all my life> Kensuke could only stare at the girl in front of him.

She looked at him and giggled. "You know.. hiding like this reminds me of when I used to play army...."

<I love you> Kensuke could only stare at the girl.

She turned her gaze from him, and stared at the three figures and giggled. "I'd still be playing that game if I could find someone to play with." <please catch the hint Kensuke>

<will you marry me> Kensuke could only stare at the girl.

She turned to face him and gave him a quizzical look "What's wrong?'

He shook his head slowly. He was in total awe of the girl.

She shrugged then giggled as she looked at the three figures again and sighed. "I wonder what they are talking about."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The first, second , and third commander where standing in the middle of a 7 acre grass lot as they discussed where the rides would be placed.

"I think the roller coaster should be put there." The commander pointed to the back of the lot.

"What roller coaster?" Kozo asked.

Rei held all the plans for the fair in her hands. She handed them to the 2nd commander and said "This one."

The professor looked at the plans and at the roller coaster that Gendo picked out. "This is too dangerous, Ikari. The slope is too steep. People will surely die of a heart attack if you put this in the fair."

<I know> Gendo chuckled. "Then we'll put a warning... Ride at your own risk. All legalities are now solved."

Kozo shook his head at his friends logic. <you know you're going to burn in hell, Gendo>

Rei made no response.

Kozo looked through the papers and laughed. "You got enough kiddie rides in here, Rei?"

Rei made no response.

Gendo chuckled softly at his friend's comment. Rei did include a lot of kiddie rides for herself in the fair. "Are you sure that you want the fair here?" In a voice as kind as he could make it the commander continued. "I know the park is your special place. Everyone will know about it once the fair is advertised."

The first child nodded her answer.

Gendo and Fuyutsuki noticed her silence and stared at her. She was a naturally silent person, but she had only said about 7 words since they left headquarters. And that was way less than normal when she was with them.

The professor knew that Gendo wouldn't ask; even though, he could see the concern on his face, so he did the honors.

"What's wrong, Rei?"

After about a minute Rei crouched down and picked up a few blades of grass. "It's going to be ruined."

The men looked at the grass. It was plush and green. She was right, by the time the fair was over it would be ruined.

"I never liked this grass anyway. It uses to much water." The commander said flatly. He should know, he paid the water bill, but he said. "However, I will replace it once the fair is gone." He tried to appease her the only way he knew how. Give her what ever she wanted. <good, now she should cheer up>

She nodded absently.

Now if Gendo was Rei's *father* then Kozo must of been her *grandfather* He could tell that it was more than grass that was bothering her. "Is that all that's wrong, Rei?"

Her shoulders slumped a little. <why won't he just drop the subject> A minute later, she looked up at the 2nd commander and admitted "Shinji and I had a falling out."

"Oh" Both men said in unison. Never in a million years did they expect that to happen.

"Why?" Gendo asked. He was going against his self made rule on not getting into the personal lives of others, but he was curious.

She turned around and walked toward the limo. "Because I cannot have children."

The commander stiffened as he realized something. <if they get back together I'm not going to have a legacy!!>

The 2nd commander noticed his friend's expression and tries to comfort him. "It's only their first breakup. Everyone knows the first time is never final."

Gendo looked at his friend and didn't respond to his words. He then looked at Rei as she got into the limo and narrowed his eyes. The thought of having no grandchildren was unacceptable to him. He evilly smirked because he now had a plan.

"Let's go Kozo. We're done here."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was already 25 min past 3 o'clock. Hikari had gone home because she needed to start dinner for her family. So it was only Shinji and Touji that were walking back to the apartment.

Touji was silent as he walked beside his friend. Shinji looked like a bottle of controlled fury and he hadn't spoken for about ten minutes. Then...

"I see her." His voice was calm, cold and without hope almost... like his father's.

"Huh?" Touji looked side to side, then he saw her as well. She was in the commander's limo The window was down and Rei had her chin resting on her crossed arms, on the sill of it, as the wind blew through her blue ..curly hair?

When Rei saw the two boy she perked up.

Shinji perked up a bit too.

And when the first and third child's eyes locked... Rei leaned back and pushed the button to roll up the dark tinted window.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I'm glad you finally rolled up the window, Rei." Kozo teased as he fanned himself with the fair plans. "I was beginning to think you were trying to air condition all of Tokyo-3."

He didn't know the reason she rolled up the window, but her having the widow down was letting out all of the cool air in the limo.

Gendo mentally chuckled, his friend amused him.

Rei did not respond.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When Shinji's fathers limo passed them Touji said "Ouch... that was cold. I can't believe she just did that!"

"I told you she would!" Shinji growled. "She's pissed, she thinks I tried to take advantage of her." He never told them the whole reason they broke up. He didn't want it to get back to Asuka. He knew that second child would try to hurt Rei with that knowledge.

The third child started running toward their apartment. He knew she wouldn't be there, but he needed to get something. Something she would never leave behind. Not even for a trip. He knew that as long as he had this one thing.. she could never fully leave him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hmmm.... My fic needs a bad guy....

( I pull out my evapokeball and throw it ) "Ritsuko, I chose you!!"

Mean evil doctor pops out "GRRRR"

^__^

I still don't own anything that deal with EVANGELION

Hey did you notice Kensuke's girlfriends name... Kimiko... Kimberly.. *hehe* ..I'm so corny I know. *hehe* ^_~

I love ya lots. I really really do

Kimberly