6teen Fan Fiction ❯ 7teen: Sleep no more ❯ Waking Nightmare ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

CHAPTER TWO
 
All over the mall, people were really dopey and drowsy. Some had collapsed by their stations at work, even the supervisors… and those who were still up were very confused, and could hardly focus on what they were doing.
 
This lead too many great problems…
 
Jude, who practically seemed to be the only one awake, felt like he was in a ghost-town. He walked everywhere and he began to see problems already. He passed by the Soda-Hop Ice Cream Parlor, and saw Amelie was sleeping with her head hanging down inside the freezer.
 
“Dude…” he helped her out, but she barley even registered. Her long blue hair was practically stiff and loaded with icicles and her face a little pale. “Aw, man… this does not look good.” he cried.
 
He placed her down, away from the freezer and went off to make sure nothing else was going wrong, but in fact… the next thing he saw, when he was headed for Vegan Island to visit Starr, he saw she was snoozing in front of the cash register, and her hand was stuck on the open/closed button… and the drawer kept opening and closer right at her head.
 
Bonk… Bonk… Bonk…!
 
Jude rolled her off and away from the counter before she got bruised for life. Starr let out a huge yawn and opened her sleepy eyes, “Jude…?” she said through a yawn.
 
“Hey… you okay?” Jude asked.
 
Starr nodded ever so slowly, “I was having this weird dream that the cash register kept banging against my head…”
 
Jude smiled nervously, “That wasn't a dream babe…”
 
His girlfriend was confused, but then thought, “Maybe I'm like, stuck in a parallel dimension where I'm dreaming that I'm dreaming…”
 
Jude didn't think that was the case, but before he could answer, his girlfriend had fallen asleep again. That's when Jude began to realize…
 
If Amelie and Starr were in danger because of their sleeping, maybe other people in the mall were going through similar things. Since he was the only one wide awake, he had no choice but to go around the mall, and look out from everyone.
 
“It's my mission… no… my DUTY to make sure that no one in this mall is getting' hurt. No one will get hurt, not will Jude Lizowski's on the job.” Though his speech was inspirational, no one was really awake enough to hear it straight.
 
Nevertheless, Jude hopped on his skateboard, “HI-HO, SALLY… AWAY…!” and off he went.
 
Meanwhile
 
The hours seemed like years to us… and nothing seemed to have gone right.
 
Caitlin had almost gotten her hair tangled in the blender without putting the lid on, and when Coach gave Jen a penalty for sleeping on the job, Jen couldn't even find her way to the Penalty Box and fell right into Charlie's new basketball pyramid… man was she sore.
 
We all met at Grind-Me for a coffee, in hopes that it would wake us up, but there was a good reason there was hardly any line-ups… Charmine was off the hook too, and the coffees were just terrible.
 
Either too much beans… not enough beans… or too cold water to make it tasteful. Besides… the heat from the few coffees that actually tasted great only made the people want to sleep all the more.
 
Wyatt yawned heavily, “I can't take much more of this…” he groaned. “I fell asleep three times at McFlipsters and nearly set my uniform on fire on the grill.”
 
“Yeow…” Nikki said, “I'd rather have settled for that, than having to listen to the Clones snore.”
 
We all looked confused, “They all snored…?” I asked.
 
Nikki nodded, and almost looked like she was going to cry, “In a pattern… back and forth… like a conversation.” Now she couldn't get the snores out of her head. “Aa-ohh…” and she slammed her face down again.
 
We all sighed heavily. So far, the only two of us who seemed to be having any luck were Jude and Jonesy. Jude was up and about, but that was because he was never much of a guy to go to bed when he didn't want to…
 
It was no wonder why he was wide awake.
 
As for Jonesy, well he got paid just to lie down on mattresses all day. Or he did until his phone rang… “Yeah… what…!” he growled. Then before he knew it he hung up the phone and sighed, “Well so much for that… I got canned.”
 
We all looked confused, “How can you get canned as a mattress-tester?” Jen wanted to know.
 
Jonesy explained that he was testing the new “Princess Dreambow 2000” Caitlin almost snapped wide awake, “Ooh… I always wanted to try that mattress. It's soothing heat, and invigorating massage.”
 
“But wait… how did you get fired?” she asked.
 
Jonesy explained that the scratches on his face… “Well… a few them kind of… opened up as I rubbed my face along the mattress.” In other words… he stained a really expensive mattress with his own blood, and ruined it badly.
 
Jonesy sighed, “But who cares… what good is a job if your not awake enough to enjoy it…?” But when he gazed at the rest of us, we all had our heads down on the table snoring endlessly.
 
 
In the mean time…
 
Jude had been working hard, skating up, and down the floors, and all over the corridors. He observed every single shop, stand, or display unit, and he had saved no less than ten people from hazards going on while they were asleep.
 
Even Wyatt's girlfriend Serena had a problem… She fell asleep while leaning against a ton of heavy boxes that began to give under her weight. The boxes could've crushed her if he hadn't pulled her to safety in time.
 
But now… Jude was getting tired, and his strategy wasn't working. There were too many people getting in trouble for him to help them one-at-a-time.
 
Somehow, he had to find a way that he could keep a sharp eye on everyone at once… and suddenly he had the very idea. “I just hope this works…” he thought to himself.