6teen Fan Fiction ❯ 7teen: Welcome Home Nikki ❯ Wake up Jonesy ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

CHAPTER TWO
 
Far away in Iqualuit, Nikki and her family were already packing up for the big move in a few days, and already the computer had been disconnected. As Nikki was packing stuff from her room, she felt a shiver run down her spine.
 
“What's wrong?” asked her younger sister.
 
Nikki shook off the feeling, but she couldn't help wonder if it meant something was wrong…
 
…if she only knew!
 
 
Jonesy was taken to the hospital where the doctors worked hard to cauterize the gash on his head and stop the bleeding, which gave a wicked looking scar. Now he was lying in bed so silent, and he was hooked to a heart monitor, and a respirator to help him breathe better.
 
Jonesy's entire family came along. Jonesy's dad felt really upset that his son got hurt. The doctors said that Jonesy had concussion. “I had a concussion once on one of my college ski trips.” Courtney said sounding upset, “It was nothing like this.”
 
Jonesy's brain had been rattled around, and both it and his body were shocked and bruised a bit. Jonesy wasn't awake because his brain was protecting itself by shutting down, like a computer going to sleep and then it repaired itself, but when Jonesy would wake up… even the doctors didn't know. They were hardly sure if he ever would wake up!
 
Jen's mom gazed over and her unconscious stepson. “Jonesy's wrapped himself in a warm blanket of protection so he'll feel warm and safe. He won't come out until he feels safe.” she said softly.
 
Nobody said a thing, the room felt so quiet except for the beeping heart-monitor. Jen, Caitlin and Courtney were trying hard not to cry. Robbie and Diego had nothing to say at all. Seeing their brother lying flat and still really freaked them out. Even Little Emma was tapping her little hands on Jonesy's big hands hoping he'd wake up.
 
Jonesy's dad clenched his fist hard, “Why…” he asked. “Why did he take that job? He knew from the start it was too much for him.”
 
Jen drew in a deep breath while fighting her tears, “He was… trying to get a job to impress Nikki when she comes home.” She said tearfully, “He thought Nikki was going to think differently of him if he didn't a good job.”
 
 
Wyatt and Jude suddenly realized, “Nikki…!” they both yelped softly. Nikki had no idea of this. They couldn't send her an email because they knew her computer was down, and even if they should tell her anyway. There was no sense in getting her into a panic either.
 
 
Jonesy's family headed home earlier, but his friends stayed right until sundown. The nurse came in and told them that visit hours would soon be over. “I think you should all go home and get some rest.” But the others didn't know what else they could do. “I feel so useless…” cried Caitlin.
 
“And there's not much we can do to help him.” added Wyatt, but that wasn't true. The nurse explained that despite the fact that Jonesy wasn't awake, his brain was resting and needed time to heal, “But that doesn't mean he can't hear you.”
 
What she was hinting, was that the others had to keep Jonesy alive and give him the strength he needed to recover. “Remind him of all the things he's missing, and all that know and respect him for… he'll come out of it just fine.”
 
The gang took one last look at Jonesy's motionless body before heading off for the night.
 
 
First thing the next morning, they all headed back to check up on him before heading to the mall for work. Though they were all thinking of calling in sick. Who could work when their best friend was lying ill in bed?
 
This was what reminded Jen of how Jonesy had a poor work ethic, “But then… I guess you wouldn't be who you are without it.”
 
(FLASHBACK)
 
The time Jonesy was a chaperon to helping the elderly shoppers into the mall, he at first just let them catch up to him so he could have time to slack off… then pass them off as his own grandparents to try and score chicks.
 
Like the time when he had to find a place for the Spring Fling dance at the mall. So much for that
 
Even the few times he never went to work. Like being the bus driver for El Sportos, or the toy shop during “One Quiet Day”
 
(END OF FLASHBACK)
 
Jen sighed softly, and gazed back down at her stepbrother. This brought on more flashbacks of how having Jonesy as a step brother was a love/hate thing, but… she wasn't sure if she'd want it any other way.
 
(FLASHBACK)
 
Jonesy, Diego, and Robbie…
 
Pranksters, delinquents, and even slobs, but at least Jonesy had a backbone, and tried to keep his brothers under control, and even mature himself.
 
“So… it's official… you're my brother now. I guess it could be worse.
 
Yeah… you're not so bad. By the way, as your new brother I think I should warn you-- We all can see your underwear.”
 
Jen saw the rip in her skirt and fled, while Jonesy was just plain smug, “I think I'm going to like having sisters.”
 
(END OF FLASHBACK)
 
Jen actually bent down and pecked Jonesy's cheek softly before heading off with the others. It was a good thing the Hospital wasn't too far from the mall so at least they could all take time off to walk the whole way.
 
...
 
Later that day after what felt like the longest day at work, and yet it was only nine in the morning. Everyone was so worried about Jonesy, and when they all met at the lemon, they could only just stare at Jonesy and Nikki's empty seats, which reminded them that Nikki still didn't know about this, and nobody was up to telling her… not even Jude. “This is just one secret I know I can keep.”
 
That's when Jen's cell-phone rang. She turned on the speaker-phone, and it was Nikki calling from Nunavut. “Nikki?”
 
The others gulped hard, and Jude put both hands in his mouth to try and keep from blabbing out about Jonesy's accident. Nikki was calling to say that her packing was almost done, and she'd be home even earlier than was planned.
 
Everyone's eyes widened, and worse, “Hey, can I talk to Jonesy? HE hasn't been answering his cell. Nikki asked. She got no response, “Hello…? Hello…?”
 
Jen made up some story that Jonesy couldn't come to the phone, “Oh snap… you're breaking up, gotta go, bye!” and she hung up quickly.
 
The others sighed in relief. “That was way too close.” said Caitlin. Jude mumbled and garbled with his hands still in his mouth. “Come again?” asked Wyatt.
 
Jude pulled his hands out of his mouth. “I said-- Dude…! You're tellin' me. If Nikki finds out… she is gonna be majorly freaked!”
 
The others agreed. The best thing was to keep Nikki from knowing, but she would soon be home, and they just hoped with all their might that Jonesy would wake up by then.
 
…He had to!
 
Author's notes:
 
Why don't you all show your support for Jonesy…
 
What is it you like about him? What's your favorite moment of him?
 
I'm gonna guess that a lot of you share the same as mine… on SNOW JOB when Jonesy and Nikki finally kissed.