Ah My Goddess Fan Fiction / Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction / Tenchi Muyo Fan Fiction ❯ Twilight's Coming ❯ Chapter 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Kuno settled himself into his seat on the train. Sasuke had found his real parents address before he left, but it seemed they lived at a shrine outside of Okayama. Even by bullet train, it was still more than three hours from Tokyo to Okayama and from there it was still a little ways by bus before he had to start hiking to the shrine.
 
By the time he reached the shrine it was late evening. Not wanting to disturb the house Kuno took the stairs to the shrine on top of the hill. Running a hand through his newly shortened hair, courtesy of a barber in Okayama while he waited on the bus, he admitted to himself that he was scared, something the Blue Thunder would never have done. But, all in all, he needed a quiet moment to prepare himself and what he was going to say.
 
Reaching the top of the stairs he paused a moment, noticing a young man sweeping the shrine grounds.
 
“Pardon me, I hope…” Kuno said. The boy jumped, turning and immediately going into a defensive stance, breaking off Kuno's greeting.
 
Tenchi Masaki, felt like a fool for letting someone creep up on him like that, but the shrine usually did not receive any visitors this late. Noticing the boy's tired slump and the pain that seemed to fill his eyes he berated himself for adding to the other's difficulties.
 
“Sorry,” he said, “but you startled me.”
 
Kuno sighed, I am sorry for troubling you so late, but I was wondering if I could stay here for a moment, I need to gather myself before visiting the family below.”
 
“Sure,” but le me get my grandfather, he is the priest of the shrine”
 
“Grandfather,” Tenchi said.
 
Katsuhito Masaki looked up from the book he was reading. “Yes, Tenchi”
 
“There is a young man outside who wants to speak to the family.”
 
“Is there a problem?” he asked.
 
“Well, maybe,” Tenchi replied. “His eyes are so full of pain that I think he needs to talk to someone now.”
 
“Bring him in, then and let me see if I can help him.”
 
Tenchi left only to return a moment later with Kuno in tow. “Grandfather, this is….I'm sorry, I didn't get your name.”
 
“Tat…,”he started to reply. “Well, you see, that is part of the problem.”
 
“What problem is that, young man,” Katsuhito asked.
 
“I,” he hesitated, “really need to talk to Nobuyuki Masaki before I say anything else,” Kuno said.
 
“I am Katsuhito Masaki, Nobuyuki is my son-in-law, and Tenchi's father,” he said nodding at Tenchi.
 
Kuno shot Tenchi a wide eyed look when it hit him all of a sudden. This was his brother who he had never gotten the chance to know. He collapsed to the floor, tears streaming from his pain filled eyes.
 
“Child,” Katsuhito said. “What is causing you such misery?”
 
“I…I,” Kuno stuttered, hating himself for showing such weakness in front of his newly found family.
 
Katsuhito got up and came around to Kuno dropping to his knees and gathered the crying young man in his arms, while Tenchi looked on feeling, for some reason the other's pain.
 
“Nobuyuki is attending a conference in Tokyo,” he said. “He won't be back until tomorrow.”
 
Kuno composed himself enough to where I could speak. “Is Achika Masaki here then, could I speak to her.”
 
Katsuhito frowned, “I'm sorry, but my daughter died some years ago.”
 
Hearing that Kuno pounded his fist into the floor, knowing that the horrors of his past had stolen from him the ability to ever know his mother.
 
“Mother,” he whispered. “I'm so sorry.” The events of the day had finally become too much and Kuno lapsed into unconsciousness.
 
“What was that all about, grandfather,” Tenchi asked frowning.
 
“I'm not sure,” he said, trying to process what he just heard the young man say.
 
“Tenchi,” he said. “Ask Washu to come up here please, and you can finish sweeping up tomorrow.”
 
As Tenchi left, Katsuhito let the young man gently down to the floor. Standing, he studied his face intently. He went to a chest and removed a futon. After he and unrolled it, he picked Kuno up with no effort and gently placed him on the futon.
 
About fifteen minutes later, a spiky-haired, redheaded girl who appeared to be about twelve stepped through the door complaining the whole way.
 
“I don't know what's so important to pull me away from my lab, Yosho, but it had better be worth wile.”
 
Washu,” he said. Noticing her glaring at him, he amended, “Little Washu, can you do a DNA test?”
 
“Me. The greatest scientist in the universe. Of course,” she cackled.
 
“How long would it take to do one on this young man,” he waved at the man on the futon.
 
“As soon as I get a blood sample and load it in my computer,” she paused a moment in thought. “Just a couple of minutes.”
 
“Terminal,” Washu said. A holographic computer interface materialized in front of the diminutive scientist. It was similar to a laptop, but appeared translucent.
 
Pulling a pin and slide from her pockets, she pricked the man's finger and placed a drop of his blood on the slide. Taking another slide from her pocket she placed it on top of the other and inserted them into the side of the keyboard and typed a few commands into the computer.
 
“Now we wait,” she said. “And while we have time, you can tell me why I needed to do that.”
 
“I'm not positive, Little Washu,” he said. “But until I have my suspicions answered one way or another I prefer not to say.”
 
The minutes seemed to drag before the computer chimed and Washu glanced at the screen. “Okay, I've got the chain, now what?”
 
“Can you compare it to the members of this household,” he asked.
 
Washu raised an eyebrow. “Yes, I can and that won't take long at all,” she said as she entered more commands into the computer.
 
Watching the results flash on the screen Washu gave a startled yelp. “His DNA is Jurian” She paused in surprise at the results, “He's Tenchis's brother.”
 
Katsuhito's eyes misted as he looked at the young man. “Welcome home, Kenshin, he whispered.
 
He turned toward Washu. “Little Washu, I know your curiosity is killing you wanting to know what this is all about, but I'm sorry, you will have to wait.”
 
He held up a hand forestalling her. “Please, Little Washu, when he wakes up and everybody's together, I'll tell the story. But I will tell you this, he is Tenchi's fraternal twin.”
 
Washu hesitantly nodded in agreement and started to dismiss her computer when she noticed something on the screen. Typing a command she paused a moment before the results flashed on the screen.
 
“Oh my,” she said. “His blood is loaded with residues of different types of drugs. The largest number of which are hallucinogenic in nature.”
 
“Hopefully we can get some answers when he awakens,” Katsuhito said.
 
He looked at the young man on the futon. While Tenchi resembled his mother, Kenshin looked like a younger version of himself. He settled himself down on some cushions next to the futon; he wanted to be close when Kenshin awoke.
 
Kuno awoke slowly in confusion to the strange room he found himself in. Then the events of the previous day crashed into his thoughts. His eyes snapped wide open and he looked around seeing the gray-haired, mustached man looking down at him.
 
“Good morning, grandson,” he said. “And if I did not do so last night welcome to the Masaki Shrine and your home.”
 
“Kuno's eyes teared as he said, “How did you know?”
 
“That I will leave to be answered at breakfast, Kenshin. I assume you are hungry.”
 
He started to deny it when his stomach gave a low grumble.
 
“I think that is answer enough. Come, let's go eat and you can meet the rest of the family.”
 
He led Kenshin out the shrine and down the stairs to a stone lined path trough some trees to a large house by a lake. Sliding the door open he called out “Tadaimia,” and he and his new grandson removed their shoes and donned house slippers.
 
Kenshin nervously looked at the group of people around the table, all their eyes focused on him. It was all he could do to control the instinct to puff out his chest and proclaim himself the Blue Thunder. His grandfather placed a hand on his shoulder and Kenshin turned and smiled at him, grateful for the support.
 
“Everyone,” Katsuhito said. “I would like for you to meet someone.”
 
“Kenshin I would like for you to meet Washu Hakubi,” he said indicating the diminutive redheaded girl.
 
“Hi, call me Little Washu,” she said with a smile than somehow made him shiver.
 
“Next to her is Sasami and her sister Ayeka Masaki.” Sasami was a little blue-haired girl with ponytails on each side of her head. She gave Kenshin a bright smile and waved. The purple-haired girl, Ayeka, frowned at him and said, “Good morning.”
 
He continued the introductions, “The young lady next to Ayeka is Ryoko Hakubi.”
 
Ayeka snorted and muttered, “Lady, ha,” while Ryoko greeted him with a “Yo,” and a growl at Ayeka.
 
“Are you and Wash…,” Kenshin noticed the beginning of a frown on Washu's face that for some reason made him extremely uneasy. “I mean, are you and Little Washu sisters?”
 
“Sisters,” Washu cackled, “I'm her mother.” She smiled evilly, “Right, Little Ryoko.”
 
Kenshin did a double take at the small girl claiming to be Ryoko's mother. But before he could say anything else Katsuhito interrupted.
 
“We have two more guests, who show up infrequently and Nobuyuki who should be back tonight. Lastly, is Tenchi, my grandson whom you met last night.”
 
“I would like you meet, Kenshin,” he paused, “Masaki, my grandson and your fraternal twin, Tenchi.”
 
Tenchi froze, while the sound of jaws hitting the table resounded throughout the room.
 
“Sorry about this,” Kenshin said, scratching the back of his head nervously.
 
“How, how…,” Tenchi stuttered.
 
“I think that is a story Kenshin needs to tell us,” Katsuhito said. “But, let's eat first before we put the poor boy on the hot seat.”
 
After breakfast was finished and the dishes cleared all eyes focused on Kenshin, waiting for him to begin his story.
 
“This is difficult for me,” he began. “Up until yesterday I believed I was Tatewaki Kuno, the son of a noble samurai family. For as long as I can remember I was delusional, influenced by drugs given to me by so-called father and sister. I had no friends, only rivals and enemies.
 
I regret I was not a good person and I hurt…,” pain filled his eyes and he continued, “I hurt some people, both physically and mentally, who did not deserve my attentions.” The image of a feisty-dark haired girl, a black-haired, pigtailed boy and beautiful redheaded pigtailed girl filled his mind.
 
He continued, “It was not until an accident sent my sister to the hospital for a month that the chemicals finally began to leave my bloodstream and I began to finally think clearly and realize what I had done.”
 
Everyone at the table looked on in sympathy at the young man who was looking morosely at the table top as he continued his story.
 
“Yesterday, a family retainer loyal to me told me the real story of my birth. That I was born a Masaki and that `my father',” he spit out the words, “switched me with the dead Kuno baby.
 
The Kuno family is very wealthy and that evil man spent a small fortune bribing the doctor and nurses to falsify the birth and death certificates.”
 
He looked up and gave a feeble smile, “The rest you know, I came here to meet my real family.”
 
“Now that you know the story, I'll take my leave; I know you wouldn't want anyone like me around.”
 
He looked down and whispered, just loud enough for everyone to hear, “All I wanted to do was meet my real family.”
 
Kenshin started to stand up when Katsuhito placed a hand on his shoulder, Sit down, grandson, you are family and we do not abandon family.”
 
He looked up as everyone nodded in agreement. Tenchi came over and grabbed Kenshin in a giant hug. “Brother, you are one of us and we care for you. Don't leave me now that I have found you.”
 
Tenchi released his brother and Kenshin looked around at everyone. “I don't know what to say, except thank you.”
 
Katsuhito cleared his throat and blinked his misty eyes. “Little Washu, could you see about getting his paperwork straightened out and making sure that Kenshin is on the family register.”
 
“Certainly, but there is something I need to tell you.” I did a further analysis of the blood sample I took from you last night. The drugs that were in your system would have made you extremely delusional and should have killed you, except for your heritage.”
 
“My heritage,” Kenshin asked. “What do you mean?”
 
Tenchi started, “I guess it all began last summer when I was working up at the shrine, and I got bored one day. I decided to sneak into Grampa's office to get the keys to this really cool cave behind the shrine." He told the story of how he had accidentally released Ryoko and how he had met everyone who eventually came to stay in his home. Kenshin drank in every word, as Tenchi, helped by Ayeka and Ryoko told him about Jurai and his heritage.
 
“You're joking, right,” Kenshin asked.
 
Tenchi shook his head no.
 
“That's really amazing,” Kenshin said.
 
"You believe me?" Tenchi asked, surprised by Kenshin's response.
 
"Sure. Why would you lie? `Besides, I know someone who killed a God to protect the woman he loved.”
 
Kenshin continued, “So, if grandfather is really a prince then what are we, Tenchi.”
 
“That makes you, Lord Kenshin, and Lord Tenchi Jurian princes in direct secession to the throne,” Ayeka answered.
 
Everyone stared when Kenshin laughed. “Here I am a prince and heir to a galactic empire. Next thing you know the pigtailed girl will be a real goddess.”
 
“Say what,” Ryolo said.
 
“Sorry,” he replied. “That was part of my delusions.”
 
“So, Kenshin, are you a student of the sword,” Katsuhito asked.
 
“I know a little, grandfather,” he replied.
 
“Good,” he replied. “It will make training you in the family style easier and give Tenchi a sparring partner other than me.”
 
Kenshin smiled. For the first time since he could remember he felt truly at home.
 
“And I'll remove those drugs from your blood, Kenshin and then you and Tenchi can help me with a few tests,” Washu cackled snapping a rubber glove over her hand.
 
Tenchi backed slowly away pulling his new found brother along with him as an adult Washu in a revealing nurse's costume stalked toward them.
 
Their screams disturbed the household for the rest of the day.
 
 
 
 
Ranma and Nabiki walked slowly back to the dojo. “Nabiki, not that I'm complaining, but why are you…,” Ranma said, unsure how to ask Nabiki about the change in her behavior.
 
“I felt it was time for me to become who I wanted to be,” Nabiki paused, “with who I wanted to be with.”
 
Unsure of herself, Nabiki glanced at the redheaded girl at her side to see how she was taking her revelation. She gave Ranma's hand a gentle squeeze. “Little Red, know this above anything else. I care for you very, very deeply and nothing that happens will ever change that.”
 
Ranma gave her a weak smile and squeezed her hand back. “Thanks, Biki,” she looked down shyly, “I…I care for you, too.”
 
Arriving at the dojo, they announced themselves and joined Kasumi at the table. Nabiki sat close to Ranma and put an arm around her shoulders and played with her long, fiery locks. Kasumi raised an eyebrow at Nabiki's action.
 
Ranma sighed. She had long suspected Nabiki's preferences ran counter to the norm and the events of the morning had confirmed that belief. When Nabiki came out of the closet she knocked the door down and shouted it to the world. Inwardly she smiled. For some reason she didn't mind. Glancing over at Nabiki and seeing the life in her dark brown eyes, she didn't mind at all.
 
“Where is everyone, sis” Nabiki asked.
 
Kasumi took a sip of her tea and paused. “Akane called and said she would be spending the night at Sayuri's house. She was also muttering something about a hentai sister.”
 
Nabiki had the grace to blush as Ranma tried to stifle a laugh. “Where ever did she get that idea.”
 
Kasumi continued, “The fathers left crying that the schools would never be joined. I suspect they are drowning their sorrows and will not be back until late. Grandfather is in the states trying to find where they shoot the Victoria's Secret catalog.”
 
“By the way, Ranma, those tattoos give you a very exotic look.”
 
“Exotic wasn't exactly what I was shooting for, Kasumi,” Ranma replied.
 
“I know, little brother.” Her eyes grew concerned. “How are you holding up.”
 
“As well as can be expected, I guess.” She gave a sad smile, “If I feel too down my cheerleader here keeps me in perspective. It's definitely not easy, yet somehow this form seems right, that this is what I am supposed to be. I just hope Mom can understand, because I know I don't.”
 
“Ranma, I know this is hard on you, but realize that I,” she smiled, “and your girlfriend there are here for you no matter what happens.”
 
“You can always count on us Ranma,” Nabiki added.
 
Ranma's eyes misted, “Thanks, guys, you don't know how much that means to me.”
 
 
Urd was muttering to herself about incomplete instructions as she pushed the doorbell at the Tendo dojo. The door opened and she looked into the face of what could be Belldandy's twin.
 
“Is this the Tendo dojo,” Urd asked.
 
“Yes, it is,” Kasumi replied.
 
Urd almost jumped. It was eerie. Her voice was almost identical to Belldandy's. “My name is Urd Odinsdotter and I'm looking for a young lady who had an unusual experience this morning.”
 
“Oh my,” Kasumi replied. “You must mean Ranma.”
 
I know we don't have any more sisters, Urd thought. This is unreal.
 
“Are you a fiancée,” Kasumi asked.
 
“Ah, no,” she replied.
 
“Do you wish to challenge the dojo or Ranma?”
 
“No and no. I just want to talk to her and explain what happened.”
 
“Okay then.” Kasumi led a confused Urd into the tearoom where she introduced everyone and they joined Ranma and Nabiki at the table.
 
“Ranma,” Kasumi said, Urd told me she could explain what happened to you this morning.”
 
Urd glanced at the others at the table. “This might be better done in private,” she said.
 
“No,” Ranma said. “I have no secrets from Kasumi and Nabiki. Whatever you want to say you can say in front of them.”
 
Urd fidgeted. “Ranma this may sound unbelievable to you, but this morning you ascended.”
 
Both Kasumi and Nabiki did a double take at Urd. They knew what she meant. Ranma just looked on in confusion. “Exactly what does that mean,” she asked.
 
“Ranma,” Nabiki said. “It means Kuno was right. You are a goddess.”
 
As Ranma sat is stunned silence a voice called out, “Tadaima,” chilling her very soul. “Mom,” she whispered.