Ah My Goddess Fan Fiction / Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction ❯ Shared Wishes, Shared Lives ❯ Chapter 5

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Shared Wishes, Shared Lives
Chapter 5

"Urd, that's not funny." Bell chastised her sister.

"Nor was it intended to be." Urd said. "I have a sneaking suspicion that the system will interpret your twin wishes as intended to be fulfilled by each other." And that Father had a hand in that, but who knows why He does anything.

"What are you saying Urd?" Ranma asked.

"We won't know anything for sure until we get the written contract," Urd said. "but I think you may want to start making plans for an extended stay."

"There anyway out of this contract?" Ranma asked.

"Don't you like my sister?" Skuld asked, attaching the unasked question Don't you like us?

"I do Skuld. I just don't want any of you dragged into my morass of a life."

Nabiki frowned. "Did you just use the word morass?"

Ranma blinked. "Um yeah I did... and I used it correctly." Ranma mused on that point a moment. "But that's besides the point. You four know that my life is... "

"Complicated?" Belldandy asked.

"Unstable?" Skuld supplied.

"Troubled?" Urd supplied.

"Flat out crazy?" Nabiki quipped.

"All of the above... It's really not a good idea to get tangled up in this mess."

"But you and I both know that we don't really have a choice." Belldandy said.

"And," Urd said. "There's no guarantee that this is how the wish will end."

"Well, it's not doing any good to stand here arguing." Ranma said. "Bell san, do you mind if Tofu san and Nabiki spend the night?"

"Not at all Ranma. Calexia will you be staying?"

"Um Yeah sure." The divine researcher said.

"All right the girls can have the guest room, Tofu can have my room, and I'll crash on the couch. No arguments." He said crossing to the phone and dialing the Tendo Dojo.

"Hello, Tendo Dojo."

"Hello Kasumi san!" Ranma said brightly.

You could practically hear the house get brighter as the eldest Tendo perked up and lowered her voice. "Ranma! How are you?"

"I'm fine. How are things go at the Dojo?"

"You mean the madhouse?" Kasumi chuckled. "My father wails, yours berates you for being such a disobedient son and Akane's vocabulary has been reduced to a single word."

"Baka." They laughed in unison. "Look, I'm just calling to let you know that Nabiki's gonna be staying here with some friends of mine."

"Oh my, perhaps I should send a change of clothes for her."

"Kasumi, you work far too hard. Relax and let me take care of Nabiki. We have a far better understanding of each other now."

"Umm... okay..." Kasumi genuinely seemed at a loss.

"Kasumi... Take some time for yourself, even if it's just an extra long soak after everyone goes to bed. You deserve at least that much. I'll be coming back to the dojo in about a week, So I'll see you then." He paused a moment then said softly, "I miss you, 'Sumi chan."

"A-and I miss you Ranma. Come home soon?"

"As soon as I can. I'll try to call again tomorrow." He hung the phone back on the receiver and leaned heavily against the wall.

"You knew she had it bad for you." Nabiki said.

"And now you see why I can't choose." Ranma sighed slumping into a chair.

"Almost everything you could do would end up with a lot of broken hearts." Skuld said absently rubbing Ranma's shoulders. "You know you could've used your wish to make multiple marriages acceptable, or to find the perfect fiancée, or to cure your curse."

"Yeah, but it really hurt me to see Bell so lonely. You know all too well how familiar I am with that emotion. I couldn't waste a wish on myself when I see someone on the same side of the tracks."

"And that's what makes you a good man Saotome." Nabiki said. "No matter how badly you botch things, your heart is always in the right place." With a yawn Nabiki stretched and headed for her borrowed bedroom before she turned back to Ranma. "Believe me, Ranma. You're not your father, and it doesn't look like you'll be becoming him anytime soon."

With that the small group broke up and flittered off to rest, leaving Ranma awake and pondering.

"So what are you thinking about so hard that you hang yourself from our rafters?" Urd asked levitating herself into a similar position.

"Before I answer that, answer me one question. How do you feel about me?"

"Well Ranma, I... I love you. Not like Bell, who in some ways sees you as a savior, or Skuld, who's trying to deal with her first crush while praying that it lasts forever. But you... You feel like my son. I want what's best for you."

"And have you ever felt this way about a mortal before, or do you think your father had something to do with it?"

"I honestly don't know. I've never thought of myself as a real maternal type, but you... I dunno. Maybe there was a wish or something, but you bring out the best in me. Why do you ask?"

"Since I met them there's been something nagging me about the Tendo clan. When I found out they were friends of my mothers, that feeling doubled."

"And since you've met us?"

"Off the scales." He chuckled flipping lightly to the floor.

"Hmm... Well, there's definitely a strong bond between the Saotome and Tendo families. It may be just connection I needed. Thank you, Ranma."

"I said I'd help you and I always keep my word. My honor is all I've got left, since my father dragged the family name through the mud."

"All right Ranma. You've done a lot today, and you need to rest." She said tenderly as she tucked Ranma into bed on the couch and used a bit of mana to give him a night of pleasant dreams before retiring to the remote terminal in her room.

"As I thought." Urd smiled looking through the relevant data, then frowned. "Well, I've still got some time to change that. Now that I've gotten to know him, there's no way I'm gonna let that boy run unchecked."

***

The week flew swiftly by. Nabiki came by often to finalize the details of Ranma's plan, and Ranma snuck in and out of Nerima a few times for an exam by Tofu, who soon pronounced him fully recovered.

Finally Friday came and Nabiki came to pick up Ranma and the goddesses. "You spread the word?"

"It was oh so easy. I've even got P chan in a box." Nabiki grimaced. "I can see from your memories why you like the guy Ranma, but it still sickens me."

"That makes oh probably five of us, ne Ranma?" Urd chuckled. "Nabiki, why don't I take you with me and let Skuld handle Ranma. Bell will be along shortly.

"Works for me." Nabiki said as Skuld blushed from Urd's less than subtle matchmaking attempt. "Oh Ranma? There is one person that doesn't know. I thought you'd like to tell your mother yourself."

"Thanks 'Biki. That means a lot to me." With that Ranma splashed himself red and the parties all departed, arriving near instantly at the Tendo Dojo.

"Ranma, Welcome home." Kasumi said brightly even as Skuld untangled herself from him. The mortal brunette felt a brief surge of something she identified as jealousy and squelched it. Ranma looked to her for stability in this madhouse and it would be ill becoming if she were anything less than hospitable to her guests. Besides, She thought as her lips turned up in a ghost of a smile. That one's got it almost as bad for him as I do. I think maybe a little girl talk over tea would be just the thing to clear up any hostilities.

"Kasumi, this is Skuld, and her sisters Urd and Belldandy should be along soon."

"Will they be coming through the pond as well?"

"No miss. I prefer televisions myself." Urd said as she and Nabiki stepped into the hall. "And my sister uses mirrors."

"Would either of you like some tea?"

"Yes, please." Skuld said. "Three... Two... Mallet."

"Ranma how dare you take advantage of that poor innocent girl!" Akane raged slamming the hammer into the space the two had occupied seconds before.

Skuld casually unslung her own mallet and lazily dropped it over Akane's. Try as she might the ebony haired Tendo couldn't raise her weapon. "Now if you behave, I might let you have it back. Ranma, don't you have a phone call to make?"

"Sure do." Ranma chan said strolling past a raging Soun and bellowing Genma. She spared a glance at a tightly taped shoebox. "P chan?" He queried.

Nabiki shrugged. "I figured if he couldn't move he couldn't get lost."

"Quit picking on Ryoga!" Akane shouted brandishing a floor lamp.

"Don't you mean," Urd said catching the lamp and coolly gazing at Akane. "P chan?"

Akane stammered incoherently before angrily shouting. "IT'S ALL RANMA'S FAULT!"

"I didn't think all those times were mere coincidence." Ranma picked up the phone and dialed despite the fact that Genma, Soun, Akane, and P chan, were making loud obvious noises of displeasure at Ranma's absence. "Hold on Auntie." Ranma said placing her hand over the mouthpiece and yelling in full demon head, "IF YOU DON'T ALL BE SILENT THIS INSTANT I WILL PERSONALLY EVISCERATE ALL OF YOU, AND WATCH WHILE THE CROWS FEED ON YOUR TEPID FLESH!"

Silence reigned as Ranma took a deep breath. "So sorry about that auntie." Ranko said glaring over her shoulders at the cowering family. "Some people have no manners. Anyway, I was calling to tell you that Ranma and Genma will be coming home, and I thought it'd be great to have you here. When? About an hour. You'll be here! Great see ya then! Bye." Ranma chan turned and smiled sweetly at the crowd. "Nodaka's coming."

The words had barely left his lips when Genma bolted for the door and Ranma nodded to Skuld. The goddess of the future made a single slashing gesture as Nabiki dropped Genma with a reverse leg sweep and the air outside shimmered gold for a moment before resuming transparency. Nabiki dodged Genma's retaliatory effort as he edged towards the door. Abandoning all pretense, he turned and bolted into an unyielding barrier. Ranma crossed over and gave the barrier a few solid punches. "How'd I do Ranma?" Skuld asked as Genma threw himself futilely against the barrier.

"You did great Skuld. You too 'Biki." he said helping the winded girl to her feet.

"Table." Nabiki said as she and Ranma sidestepped Akane's wrath. "I don't know how you do that all the time." She said getting her breath back and ignoring her younger sibling.

"Gotta remember Nabiki, I've been training in the art since I could walk. If you want I can teach you some easy katas and basic techniques."

"I think I'd like that." The mercenary Tendo said with a warm smile.

"Statue." Kasumi said bearing a tray of tea.

"Thanks Kasumi." Ranma said catching the statue with one hand and taking his tea with the other.

"Will Auntie Nodaka be able to get in?" Kasumi asked worriedly.

Genma paused at this epiphany and started dancing. "I won't loose my head! I won't loose my head!"

Skuld sweatdropped. "I don't have the heart to tell him it's to keep people in, not out."

"You won't have to." Nabiki said. "The others should be arriving any second."

"Good. Get the pig ready.." Ranma said sighing in resignation. "I'll see if I..."

"Ranma, no need to put yourself out like a prostitute." Urd said. "You've told me a lot of the old lecher's favorite hunting grounds. I'll go see if I can hunt him up."

"Thanks Urd. That part just makes me feel dirty." She said before heading for the kitchen and returning male.

A half hour later the entire Nerima wrecking crew was assembled though Akane was bound to the chair by a length of rope Nabiki had produced hidden weapons style. As Nodaka entered Nabiki untied her sister and murmured softly in her ear as Ranma turned to the crowd.

"I've had enough of this. A week ago most of the people in this room tried to kill me over a lunch bento, and very nearly succeeded. That day I made a promise to straighten out my life, and I'm going to do so tonight. Starting with my mother. Mother," Ranma took a deep breath and poured the cold water over his head causing the change from tall brunette to busty red head. "I'm afraid you've been deceived."

"Pig tailed goddess!" Kuno cried. "At last I may free you from the clutches of the violent sorcerer Saotome! Tell me, fair maiden, whence has the fiend fled?"

"Kuno you baka! I am Ranma! It's a curse!"

"Scarlet harridan, you lie like the common slut you are! You are not my Ranma sama!" Kodachi screeched snapping out with a ribbon.

In a blur of motion Nabiki was on her feet catching the ribbon an instant before yanking forward dragging Kodachi to the floor and dropping one knee to her throat. "You will not interrupt! It took him two years to gather the courage to do this! Two years in which everyone in this room tried to make him into something he isn't or use him to their own ends. That's going to end tonight, and anyone who interferes -be they fiancée," She glared at Shampoo. "rival," Ryouga was now the recipient of a cold hard gaze. "or even my own family," Now Soun and Akane shrunk from the middle daughter's nearly palpable rage. "So help me Kami sama, I will destroy you, and I do not invoke that name lightly."

"Ran... ko?"

"And Ranma, mom. We're one in the same."

"How?"

Ranko extended her tiny hand. "Maybe... I better show you."

***

Skuld and Urd gently pried Ranma and Nodaka apart as Bell and Kasumi appeared with cool water for Ranko and tea for Nodaka.

"Mom... In your eyes..."

"My son, for gathering the courage to face your problems and fears, you are indeed a man amongst men. I hereby proclaim the honor pact.... fulfilled." Ranko managed little more than a sob before she buried herself in her mothers arms.

"Boy! Stop that at once! It's not manly!"

Ranko stood and glared daggers at the male Saotome. "You... have... no... right."

"I'm the head of the Saotome clan, boy! My decisions regarding your life are final! It is a matter of honor that you marry Akane and join the schools! Nothing else matters!"

"What would a spineless dog like you know about honor?" Ranko shouted back. "You've never done anything for me if there wasn't some benefit to you! You reap the benefits and I'm left to handle the problems!"

"You're wrong!" Genma spat.

"Prove it! See what you did to me, if you're not afraid!" With that Ranma grabbed his father's hand.

"Stop him!" Nabiki shouted lunging across the room followed quickly by the three goddesses. "We've got to break the link. He shouldn't have tried this so after linking with his mother."

"How do you know that?" Nodaka asked.

"I just do." Nabiki said breaking Genma's wrist and twisting it in such a way that he was forced to release Ranma as the goddesses pulled the two of them apart and Ranma fell to the floor unconscious as Genma stared in shock.

"Is he..."

"What do you care?" Nabiki asked in full Ice Queen mode as she checked to ensure that Ranma was unharmed.

"I... I'm tired of hurting him." Genma said quietly.

Nabiki visibly softened. "Then there's hope for you yet." With that she turned to the three goddesses. "Ranma, hard headed as he is, will be fine. But since he's obviously not capable of continuing..."

"You planned on this?" Urd asked.

"For it." Nabiki corrected. "Ranma's idea. I've been authorized to speak for him in the event he became...." She nudged the pigtailed boy with her foot. "incapacitated." With that Nabiki produced a pair of glasses and a sheaf of notarized papers. "First, Saotome Nodaka. Ranma requests the right to claim the title of clan leader. Do you agree?"

"I do."

Soun sputtered in outrage. "Genma she can't do this! You're the head of the Saotome clan."

"Strictly speaking old friend, I'm not." Genma said pulling a tattered bit of paper from his gi. "This was Nodaka's additional stipulation to the seppuku pact. She is to bear the title and responsibilities of Clan Leader until she passes them on, or until Ranma is married."

"That's why you bartered your son away so many times on the trip?" Nabiki said with dawning surprise. "Since you weren't head of the clan... none of the verbal agreements you made were valid."

Nodaka frowned thoughtfully. "So the only valid agreements are the Tendo and Kuonji. Hmm."

"Yeah well... Ukyo, you do know how Ranma really feels about you right?"

Ukyo face fell notably. "Yeah... Yeah I do." She whispered.

"Ucchan." Nabiki knelt next to Nerima's favorite okonomiyaki chef. "Ranma does love you, but not the way you want. He loves you like a sister, and he'd be honored if you'd be his sister."

"I... I don't know what to say."

"Say yes, Ucchan." Nabiki urged. "You were Ranma's first friend, and he needed that a lot. He still does."

"I... I'm an only child."

"Then take it from someone who's been there. There's nothing like watching over your siblings." Kasumi said smiling. "So what do you... Saotome Ukyo?"

"I think it sounds wonderful." Ukyo said with a faint smile.

"Secondly... As head of the Saotome clan, Ranma declares the Tendo/Saotome pledge..." Nabiki paused for effect and smirked. "Null and void." The uproar from Soun was priceless as Kasumi placed two large buckets to catch the copious fountains of water that the wailing man produced.

The wails died abruptly as Nabiki slapped her father hard across the face. "GROW UP!" She bellowed. "You don't think I knew what you've been doing? You've been hiding from reality since mother died!" She choked back a sob. "We all have."

"Nabiki-" Bell placed a hand on the young mercenary's shoulder.

"No Bell san. Kasumi lost herself becoming the mother we lost, Akane lost herself to her rage, father turned away from the world that reminded him of what he lost, and me... I turned to the cold constants of numbers and yen notes... Until Ranma gave me back the hope I thought I'd lost." He gaze hardened into the emotional equivalent of a laser. "It's been over ten years since mother died. You never took in a student, you never helped Kasumi with the chores, or me with the finances, or Akane with the Art. You never seemed to care about our hopes, or dreams, or what we wanted out of life. Hell, you've put more energy into forcing Ranma and Akane together- and only succeeding in alienating them from each other- than I've seen since mother died."

Soun sputtered indignantly and resorted to his demon head chi technique. "Nabiki how dare you!"

"How dare you!" Nabiki roared back, a aura of biting cold springing up around her, freezing half a cup of tea and shattering it. "All you ever cared about was your dreams! You never gave a damn about anything but your precious dream of 'uniting the schools'! You didn't wanna see that Akane was incompatible with Ranma! You did nothing about Kuno's perpetual harassment!"

"How dare you call my attentions to the fair Akane Tendo harassment?" Kuno said imperiously.

"SHUT IT!" Nabiki roared as her aura flared even brighter. "I will deal with you when I get there."

"Like you have the right to the moral high ground." Akane mumbled.

"You think I don't know that I hurt people?" Nabiki laughed as her aura shrunk considerably, but there was no humor in it. "Ranma once confronted me about her photos. I explained that I did it to bring in income for the house. You know what he told me? 'The last temptation is the greatest treason: to do the wrong deed for the right reason.' "

"T. S. Elliot." Kasumi murmured. "Though slightly misquoted."

"Right sis. But it was the meaning that got to me. I had been doing all the wrong things for all the right reasons. Who do you think helped me get what little yen I've got for the family? Ranma. Who went for groceries after one of your toxic creations, Akane? Ranma. Who fixed all the holes that you created with that damned mallet? Ranma."

"That baka got everything he had coming!" Akane shouted flaring bright red. As she locked gazes with her sister she found that neither her gaze or aura of anger could match her sister's icy rage.

"And that's what separates us. I know I hurt him. I know what I did was wrong. But not only do you feel that you're justified in you're actions simply because you're Nerima's princess you're willing to use any means you see fit to hurt him." She glared hard at Ryoga. "In that respect.... you're even worse than the Kunos."

"How dare you!"

"Because it's the truth." Nabiki said as her aura finally dissipated. "Now I have business to resume."

"Ayah! Ranma adopt spatula girl and throw away Kitchen destroyer, Ranma come home to china with Shampoo., yes yes?"

"No." Nabiki snapped. "You've been trying to catch me- him for two years with no success." She flicked her glance around to see if anyone had noticed her slip. Kasumi had an eyebrow slightly raised and while Cologne's face was as impassive as always, her eyes had a curious gleam that Nabiki had seen in the mirror on more than one occasion. "Ranma can't even trust you, let alone love you. And you Mousse, you've been chasing Shampoo in the same heavy handed manner she chases Ranma, and neither of you have gotten what you want. Oh, and Cologne? Ranma respects you as a sensei, but he'll never return to China to become a second class brow beaten male. He's let you stay this long in the hopes that he can honorably resolve the situation. Act against him in the future, and I've been authorized to report three illegal aliens."

"Very perceptive, Tendo san." Cologne smirked as though she thought nothing of this little girl threatening her, and she probably didn't. "How much did So- er Ranma pay you to plan this?"

"Actually he planned this himself. I just helped him and as for how much..." She trailed off and tucked a small receipt into his shirt.

"Nabiki..." Urd sounded disappointed.

"I know what I agreed to but some preparations required more resources than I expected. Fraction of the cost, straight billing."

"At last!" Kodachi spouted. "My darling Ranma sama is mine as I knew he would be!"

"Not happening." Nabiki said as she tossed two neatly folded documents to the delusional duo.

"Tendo Nabiki, this is a restraining order."

"Very good Kuno sempai." Nabiki drawled. "One for both of Ranma's forms against both of you. You're not get within 150 feet of Ranma unless it's in a public place or by his specific invitation." Nabiki paused now to drink the ice water her eldest sister had provided for her.

Ukyo chose this moment to ask the question on everyone's mind. "Then who?" She eyed the three newcomers.

"Um... me." Belldandy said quietly.

The room went crazy as Nabiki leaned closer to Bell. "Not quite the way I wanted it Bell sama." she murmured.

"These people have done nothing but hurt Ranma." She replied softly. "At least you're trying to make amends for it."

Nabiki nodded and raised her voice. "Can it people!" She bellowed. "Strictly speaking, I don't believe Belldandy sama can marry Ranma, but they are going to be staying together for an indefinite period of time."

"Why that?" Shampoo asked suspiciously. Skuld and Urd introduced themselves and explained about the Goddess Relief Office and how some deserving mortals are granted a single wish and Ranma's and Bell's shared wish.

"Yeah right." Akane snorted. "You expect us to believe that you're goddesses? How much did that pervert pay you to pull this stunt?"

Urd sighed and Skuld was really starting to regret not having pounded the girl into hamburger during their first encounter.

"A small demonstration then." Bell said before she split into five chibi versions of herself. Nabiki reached out and caught two, one of which scampered up her arm and jumped to Kasumi. One was found carefully climbing Nodaka's kimono before Genma helped her up with his good hand. One sat on Ranma's forehead stroking him as she cooed softly. The last ended up in Akane's lap, waiting but a moment before pulling down her lower left eyelid and sticking out her tongue.

"Looks my sister doesn't really care for you, Miss Tendo." Urd said scooping the miniature Belldandy up only to have her jump to Ukyo and give her a friendly peck on the cheek. The newest addition to the Saotome clan giggled slightly as the miniature goddess clapped and waved before hopping down and running over to join her duplicates and return to her full sized state.

"Frankly I don't care if you believe what I've told you or not." Nabiki said. "Ranma will leaving tonight and staying somewhere where he's safe and not being pressured into something with no solution."

"Stupid gaijin whore." Akane mumbled. "How many sluts is that pervert gonna add to his harem before he marries his true fiancée, me!"

In a blur of motion Urd crossed the room and yanked Akane from her seat.

"Urd! No!"

"Whatever Father does to me will be worth it to put this little brat in her place, Bell!" Urd snarled hauling Akane up by her neck to look her in the eye. "I love Ranma like my own son! A wish your mother made for her best friend let me save his life dozens of times, and thoughtless remarks like that may as well be leveled against Nodaka as well as myself. I know exactly what Ranma thinks of you, and it isn't pleasant. Clean up your act, or you're going to lose him." Urd flung the frightened girl back into her seat. "And before you get some bright idea like I'm saying that to keep Ranma for myself... Goddesses don't lie."

"A wish from mother?" Kasumi asked perplexed.

Urd took several deep calming breaths. "Your mother, Tendo Yukio, wished that Ranma be protected from all mortal harm." Urd explained. "With Genma's training regimen, I was on my toes."

"So are you saying Ranma's immortal?" Nabiki asked curiously.

"No. I'm charged to protect him from anything that could kill him until a certain event in his life, but he's still very much mortal. He'll grow and age, just like any other mortal. He can't die until the condition is met."

"Which is?" Nabiki asked.

"Until he gets to hold his first grandson and granddaughter." Urd said with a slight smile. "After that, I'm forbidden to intervene."

Nabiki's eyes narrowed before she continued. Her instincts were telling her that Urd was hiding something. The danger sense she had inherited from Ranma, however was silent. Urd said she had become a sort of mother figure to Ranma, and despite the sexy goddess' faults she truly cared for Ranma. "Let's see. Happosai. Ranma's starting over. He doesn't need you latching onto his chest anymore. He needs a sensei."

"Maybe not, young Nabiki. All the hell I put these two losers through," He nodded to Genma and Soun. "was to foster independence. Ranma has it in spades. Ranma was the only one willing and able to stand up to me, not just for himself, but for others. I may yet stop by and visit though. Me and Urd sama go back a ways."

"You're not the only one Happi." Urd said. "I've known Cologne since she was younger than her great granddaughter, and just as good."

"Great Grandmother know strange silver hair woman?" Shampoo asked.

"Long ago, my child. Long ago."

"Cologne, Ucchan. Ranma's bill." Nabiki said passing a manila folder to each of the merchants.

"Ranchan's charging us? For what?"

"Not charging. He want to pay for all those 'free' meals."

"He-" Ukyo began.

"He wants to do this, Ko- Saotome san." Genma said. "I've ruined many a life seeking to fill my stomach. There's an English saying. 'The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.' Ranma wants to get as far from me and my reputation as possible."

"I... guess I can understand it. But you tell Ranma his money's no good at the Ucchan's! My brother can come work off his tab."

"Great. Another reason for that pervert to spend time with his whores." Akane mumbled. Nodaka moved to defend her newest daughter but Nabiki beat her to it with a brutal snap kick that sent Akane sprawling to the floor!

"Nabiki! Apologize to your sister!" Soun bellowed.

"No."

"Apologize or I will disown you!" He screamed in full demon head.

"That would be a blessing." She said handing Genma another folder.

"Hmm... I suppose it was inevitable that my stomach would land me in trouble." Genma said flipping through the papers ignoring the Tendo patriarch's ravings. "Nabiki, might I be able to engage your services as an investment counselor?"

"You get a steady job and we'll see what we can do."

"Nabiki you apologize to your sister this instant or you will no longer be welcome on Tendo grounds!"

"Nabiki, please apologize to Akane chan." Kasumi pleaded half heartedly.

"Not this time. Even you can see that she's over the line this time. If I'm no longer welcome here, I'll pack my things and be on my way. Maybe I'll sleep under a bridge or something." Nabiki shrugged and ascended the stairs.

"Unh unh." Urd said. "You'll either stay with us, or Saotome san."

"My husband and I have much to discuss." Nodaka said absently. "Would it be all right-"

"It'll be fine." Belldandy said brightly. "And before any of you think about attacking Ranma, my sisters and I will not tolerate fighting at our home."

"Ten- Nabiki." Kuno paused as the former Tendo.

"If you wanna know something about Ranma ask him yourself. I'm out of the mercenary business." With that she ascended the stairs leaving a shocked wrecking crew her wake

Ten minutes later Nabiki descended with her life packed in two duffle bags. "I'm ready." She said briskly.

"I've got Ranma's pack." Skuld said.

"And I too should take my leave." Genma said, carefully slipping his pack around his field dressed hand.

"But Saotome, the schools!"

"The schools will not be joined Tendo and I have been apart from my wife for too long already." Genma said solemnly as he and Nodaka left the house as Nabiki and Bell phased out of the mirror.

"Ranma has no interest in marrying your daughter, but I'll talk to him and see if he's open to training her. Although maybe you ought to find out what your daughters' dreams are, before smothering them in your own." Urd said gazing pointedly at Kasumi as she phased into the TV while carrying Ranma's senseless form.

"It's been nice to meet you all." Skuld said as she dissipated the shield around the house before glaring at Akane. "Most of you anyway."

"Skuld sama!" Kasumi called from the kitchen. The ebony haired goddess glanced over her shoulder from the edge of the koi pond. "I'd not be opposed if you or your sisters stopped over for tea."

"And you're welcome in our home as well, Kasumi san." Skuld said vanishing into the waters.

"Kasumi san." Ryoga said morosely as he began to glow with an aura of depression. "where's my pack?"

"Front closet." Kasumi said her usually cheerful smile dimming notably.

"And where do you think you're going?" Akane snarled.

"To get lost." Ryoga mumbled retrieving his pack and vanishing into the mist.

As the others drifted away for the night, Kasumi shut off the lights and headed up to her room only to find a note from her middle sister.

"Kaschan,

Sorry everything blew up in our collective faces tonight, but Ranma had to take control of his life. And time for me as well. You know as well as I do that Akane was way out of line with those remarks and insinuations. I know I may have been acting really unlike myself tonight, and you know what? I liked it. I liked having depth and substance. I like having hope. As I'm sure you probably realized Ranma linked with me. There's no way I can describe the feeling in words but the effect... he took my life and his, threw them in a blender and set it to liquefy. I lived through everything... pain, despair, fear, loneliness and finally hope. I can't tell you how to live your life, but I will tell this. Don't kill your soul so mother's memory will live. It's time to move on... for all of us.

Love ya always,
Nabiki."

"Oh sisters mine," Kasumi wearily rubbed her forehead as her ever present smile melted away. "Where did I go wrong?"

***

Akane stormed back to her room fuming over her treatment this evening when she spotted a note on her desk. She snatched it up and read it only to let it tumble numbly from her hand.

Everybody plays the fool,
Guess I played my part for you.

Ranma

***

A/N: I don't usually wait this long to do this but now seems to be as good a time as any.

Timeline: AU. Everything in Ranma has happened except that Nodaka never knew about the curse until now. Take AMG from any point you wish. Keiichi's dead. That's all that matters.

Pairing: In the end, it's intended to be a Ranma/Akane. But she's gonna have to earn his respect and his love.

Inspiration: The overall linking concept comes from Metroanime's omake "A Little Sense." and the Chibi Bell demonstration was from D. F. Roeder's "The Accidental Goddess"

Characterization: Before you go saying that they're out of character, let me remind you that the link experience is exactly like Nabiki describes it. You take the sum life experiences of two people, blend on high and serve quickly. You get the bad and the good. Nabiki was reminded of the good times she had before her mother died, and she realized that in the end, she was only conning herself.

Ranma hasn't technically chosen, but he's changed it from a matter of honor to a matter of choice by shunting Ukyo into a relationship they can both be comfortable with, and neutralizing a relationship that was nothing but pressure and bullying. This gives the others a chance to become what he really needs. Friends.

Why Nabiki? I felt she did the least to Ranma with the best of intentions. This gives her the best chance at reconciliation. And no, Nabiki holding her own against Genma wasn't because linking with Ranma made her an instant martial artist. Rather it gave her all of the knowledge of his moves and techniques. Since Nabiki is probably not anywhere near Ranma's physical training she can't properly execute those moves, but living in a Dojo with a martial arts family I think it's safe to assume she has some basic training, that she combined with Ranma's skills enabled her to hold her own against Genma for less than five minutes, who wasn't treating her as a real combat threat anyway. As for the frozen glass, is it too much of a stretch to believe that Nabiki developed a natural Soul of Ice?

Akane's not that bad, you say? First off, this being my fic gives me the right to show any character in any mood I see fit. Secondly, I see Akane as being spoiled princess who has problems coping with reality. Where do these problems stem from? I'm not entirely sure. I think she has a tendency to make a decision before she has all the facts. Never good.

Why did she hide her knowledge of Ryoga's curse? That's a secret that I'll explain in later chapters.

Some of my prereaders said I should have a fight between the goddesses and Mr. Tendo or Mr. Saotome. Why? What point would it serve? Soun's world is about to come down around his ears and that's going to more satisfying than any physical fight.

Something I noticed when reading my reviews, I made an error in chapter one! Kuno still doesn't get that Ranma and the pigtailed goddess are one and same. Sorry if I gave that impression, and for not correcting it yet. See ya next time when Ranma gets answers from Ryoga and the first unearthly visitor arrives.