Ah My Goddess Fan Fiction / Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction ❯ Shared Wishes, Shared Lives ❯ Chapter 2

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Shared Wishes, Shared Lives
Chapter 2

"Easy! Easy!" Urd snapped. "Let's get her in the furo."

"Good idea Urd." Skuld said her usual acerbic wit on hold for the time being. "The water will amplify our healing spells. I just hope it doesn't aggravate her bleeding. And Urd..."

"I know. No sparks." The three Norns settled Ranko in the water barely flinching at the curse. A shared look and a nod was all it took for the three to start pouring their magic into the furo and it's occupant.

"The worst of the bleeding seems to have stopped, but something... " Bell frowned.

Urd pulled back. "Let him go. He's using his ki to shake off the healing."

Skuld looked up in surprise. "But why?"

"Look at his body Skuld."

"Urd this no time to be appraising boyfriends!"

"Not like that, sister. Look at his build in either form. Think about who was after him."

"Martial artist." Skuld murmured thoughtfully. " It's his pride isn't it. He feels like if we heal him more than necessary, that it's cheating."

"Well since he's stable for now, we should each take turns making sure he stays that way until he wakes up."

"I'll take first shift." Skuld said, settling down on a nearby stool and checking that the water was still hot. "I just gotta keep him warm so he don't go into shock, right?"

Bell nodded and slipped out followed. "Dinner's in a few hours." Urd said. "I'll take over for you then."

"Hey you two..." Skuld looked at Ranma. "Just be careful. I get weird feelings around this guy."

"Love?" Urd blinked in sincere surprise.

"No... When I first met Keichi, I had a broad idea of what his future held, I mean since that is my province and all. The more I was around him, the more concrete it became. With Ranko... It's as though anything can happen and he has no set future. It's kinda scary."

"I'll take this shift if it makes you nervous." Bell said frowning thoughtfully. "

"No." Skuld said settling down. "I'll be okay. If he wakes up I'll call.

***

Urd stuck her head in to find her sister leaning over Ranma her hands hovering just over his head.

"Skuld?" Urd hissed.

The youngest Norn turned to face her sister and mouthed a single word as she pointed to the top of Ranma's head. Bug.

Urd blinked in surprise as Skuld made a quick feint for the bug causing it to leap from Ranma's head and sail through the air where Urd grabbed it. "Gotcha! Bell says dinner will be ready in about fifteen minutes. And you... well you've got until I reach the front door then... Poof!" Urd grinned as the lightning raced over her hands.

Skuld turned to Ranma and rearranged his body so he wouldn't drown. Just as she stepped back , he opened his eyes.

Ranma took in his surroundings and occupant and reached a simple logical conclusion.

Bathroom plus female plus dark hair plus mallet equals pain.

"Ididn'tseeanythingAkane!IswearI'mnotapervet!Pleasedon'thitme!"

Skuld threw her mallet to the floor and shouted. "Hey! A little help here!" She quickly moved forward pining his shoulders to the back of the furo to prevent him from sinking beneath the water. In his panicked state he was likely to try and drown himself. "Ranko, calm down! I'm not Akane!"

"You're not?"

"Nope." Out of the corner of her eye she saw Bell and Urd. "I'm not gonna hit you either."

"What about the mallet?" Ranma asked warily.

"Job related, actually." Skuld sighed miserably. "If I had my way I'd throw the damn thing into the sun and be done with it." She sighed again and slumped down beside the furo.

"So you don't think I'm a pervert?"

"I'm dressed. You're dressed. How could either of us be perverts?"

"Sorry. I just... Some people swing first and ask questions later."

"It's okay. I'm Skuld, and those are my sisters Belldandy and Urd."

"Thanks. I'm Saotome Ranma."

"I thought you said your name was Ranko?" Urd asked patiently.

"It seems that young Ranma has a wide and varied history." Bell said crossing to the now cold furo and extending her hand. "Would you like to explain over dinner?"

Ranma's eyes filled with tears of joy. "You'd actually let me tell my side?"

"Of course, Ranma. Why wouldn't I?"

"Oh thank you." Ranma gasped, reaching for Bell's hand as tears of joy slid down his face.

The moments their hands touched Ranma and Bell were overwhelmed by a barrage of memories.

***Flash***

They were there at Keichi's funeral in the pouring rain. All present were crying, including Ranma and the widowed Belldandy.

***Flash***

Ranma's failed wedding. Both felt an uncharacteristic hatred for those involved.

***Flash***

Bell and Keichi's own wedding. Again tears were shed, but this time in joy.

***Flash***

The battle with Saffron. Both were horrified at the possibility of losing Akane.

***Flash***

The battle against Celestine. How could someone they once loved do something so horrible?

***Flash***

Countless maulings by different fiancées and rivals. Why couldn't they just be left alone?

***Flash***

Skuld and Urd using the forbidden sealing so they could stay with Keichi. They never thought their sisters could care for them so much.

***Flash***

They stood in their cursed form looking around the Tendou Dojo with fear and longing... Among these, strangers could they find a family?

"I'm Saotome Ranma. Sorry about this."

"I'm Tendou Akane. Wanna be friends?"

At last, they had a friend...

***Flash***

Damn it! Why did Urd have to do this to their Keichi? Why couldn't their older sister just let them be happy? It just wasn't fair.

***Flash***

They screamed in shock as they looked at their chest. Those were definitely not supposed to be there.

"POP!"

***Flash***

"Hello, I am the Goddess Belldandy. I have been sent to grant you your heart's desire." They said calmly. Beneath that calm their heart was beating a thousand miles an hour at seeing their old friend Keichi. A goddess' vow to herself was only but so binding, but they had promised not only to seek out the young boy that had befriended them on that ill fated trip to the mortal realm, but should he be worthy, to be the one to grant his wish.

"I wish for you to stay with me forever."

Keichi, They thought. you have no idea how happy you just made us.

***Flash***

NOT CATS!

The single thought ripped through them with fear as Genma slammed the lid of the pit down.

And then they came.

***Flash***

They had just snuck out of heaven. Just a fun little trip to the mortal realm for a day or two. Then they saw him.

"Hi, I'm Belldandy."

"Hi, I'm Keichi. Wanna be friends?"

Friends... They thought. "That... would be nice."

***Flash***

Why was daddy taking them away from mommy? It wasn't fair. They didn't wanna go!

***Flash***

***Flash***

***Flash***

***Flash***

The images repeated themselves, once, twice, infinite times blurring into a bizarre cascade of color, sound, and emotion that threatened to overwhelm them both.

Bell sama! We have to let go! Ranma shouted silently.

I can't! Her voice sounded strong, scared, and a thousand other unidentifiable emotions.

I'm sorry Bell. Ranma said focusing his ki to the point where their hands met. Their emotions were all wrong for a Moko Takabisha but just perfect for a...

Shi Shi Hokodan! They shouted in unison forcing the heavy ki through their joined hands jarring them apart both physically and mentally.

Bell slumped to the floor in exhaustion as a terrified Ranma bounced off the back wall, past the three startled Goddesses and out into the hall before collapsing with a sickening crunch of bones.

"Oh no! Ranma!" In a heartbeat Bell was on her feet and out the door to find Ranma curled up in a corner face contorted in pain. "Ranma, you can't go tearing around like that. Mousse and Kodachi nearly destroyed both your knees. You need to give them time to heal."

"I'm sorry Bell, I didn't mean to.... Nothing like that's ever happened before."

"Shush." Bell whispered, cradling the distraught martial artist in her arms. "I know, Ranma. I saw your memories like you saw mine."

"It doesn't feel right." He mumbled. "I feel like..."

"Like you violated me?" Bell said. "Because you didn't."

"Bell, you're a Goddess for heaven's sake! I had no right wandering around in your mind like that."

"Stop thinking like that, Ranma. We practically gave each other the guided tour. Why are you so sorry?"

"I guess... for dredging up all those memories you had left behind. I mean I wouldn't want anyone to do that to me."

"But that's exactly what happened." Bell said making a mental note to visit the worst kind of punishment possible on one Genma Saotome. "I know you probably wanted to forget about being taken from your mother, and the horrible training and all the fiancé troubles. But I dredged those up. Besides," She held up their hands that had somehow found their way together again. "It seems you only get the tour once."

"Not that I'm saying your past hasn't been charming Bell, but I don't think I could survive another trip down memory lane."

"So you two are okay? I mean you two stiffened up like you were being electrocuted or something." Skuld said.

Ranma and Bell took turns telling of the experience and when they finished, Ranma gave a wan grin. "Still sure you're not gonna hit me?"

"Nah. This is strictly for debugging but there is one on your head." Ranma winced and waited for the concussion that never came. Instead there was a brief breeze across the top of his head.

"Umm... Skuld?"

"It's okay, Ranma. Bugs aren't that smart. I made a feint at him then smacked him to Urd when he jumped."

"Where is Urd, anyway?"

There was brief but loud pop that left the two Goddesses with ringing ears and Ranma glancing at the front door. "Goddesses two, bugs nada. So, Ranma. Will you be staying for dinner?" Urd asked dusting the soot off her hands.

"Ranma will be staying for as long as necessary for him to recover completely." Belldandy said in a voice that left no room for argument.

"All right then... I guess that's a yes." Ranma chuckled as Bell helped him back to his feet. "Are you by any chance related to Tendou Kasumi?"

***

Ranma was laying back on a futon when a quiet knock at the door got his attention. "Yes?"

"Hey Ranma. Are ya decent?" Skuld asked quietly.

"Yes, Skuld. You may enter if you wish."

"Um Ranma, I was wondering..."

"Yes?"

"I was wondering if you'd open yourself to me like you did to Bell."

"I don't know if I can or should Skuld." Ranma said sitting up. "I mean the first time was some kind of fluke. I don't know if I can do it again... Or if I want to."

"What do you mean Ranma?"

"My life has been full of hardships, worse than most. I didn't mean to open myself up to Bell like that, but... Skuld it's a two way street. I'll know you better than you'll know yourself and you may find some things about yourself that you don't like. And the worst part is, if we do this... I don't know how to stop it. All the images, and emotions and everything... they just start repeating themselves. I didn't want to say this but... Bell and I almost lost it in there. It's not pleasant."

"I'm willing to take that chance." Skuld said extending a shaking hand.

Ranma sighed and offered up a silent prayer to Kami sama not to hurt this young goddess, and took her hand.

***

The next thing Ranma was aware of he and Skuld were being pulled apart and a furious yelling replaced the roaring wave of sound.

He saw a clearly furious Urd yelling at a clearly quiet Skuld. Bell was glancing back and forth between her youngest sister and her new houseguest.

"Urd." Ranma said. "Stop it. Skuld came to me and asked me to do this."

"And you just rolled over like a beaten puppy?"

"No." Ranma said with a surprising amount of calm. "I told her exactly what she could expect and a lot of my own fears. She wanted to continue. Besides," He shot his hand out to grasp Urd's. "It seems that both must be willing."

"But you and Bell weren't willing." Skuld said.

"I was. I was curious as to what kind life would lead a proud and capable to tears at the simple act of being asked to explain himself."

"And I wished to know how someone could offer me the chance to explain myself. As Bell and Skuld can attest, the last twelve years of my life have been... abnormal."

Skuld snorted. "Yeah, on a good day."

"It can't be that bad."

Skuld, Bell, and Ranma spoke in unison. "Wanna bet?"

Urd blinked and took a few long slow breaths. "Well then, I guess there's only one way to find out exactly who Saotome Ranma is, isn't there?" She extended her hand and he held his over it. "Be sure to pull us out okay? I don't wanna look at my past too much."

***

It took a lot more than previous attempts to break Urd and Ranma loose. In the end Ranma ended up with a numb wrist (From Bells pressure point) and a scorched palm (from his own Shi Shi Hokodan). Urd managed to walk away with a lump and minor concussion courtesy of her little sister's mallet.

"Ranma,-" She said later as they were all seated around the table, Bell and Skuld having tea as Urd produced some Tennessee bourbon which she graciously spiked Ranma's tea with.

"I know, I know. Because of me, you've seen hell. Should I prepare to die now, or wait 'till sunup?"

The group laughed at the obvious Ryouga reference. "First and foremost, I do believe I speak for everyone here when I say that Saotome Genma is in for a world of hurt." The others nodded in assent. "And Ranma, your life is only... slightly better than my own."

"I can imaging. You were clinging to me like I was the only thing keeping you sane." He thought back on the impressions he had gotten. "Maybe I was."

"Maybe you were at that. I did find one comforting fact."

"Oh? What's that?" Bell asked.

"Skuld, when you touched Ranma's memories, did you find any of the ones from Bell?"

Skuld frowned, contemplating this. "Ranma... Are they still in there?"

"Yes!" Ranma said "I remember everything from all three of you."

"That means that only Ranma has access to the sum of the experienced memories." Bell said breathing out a sigh of relief.

"Very curious..." Skuld said sipping her tea. "Ranma, would mind if I sent some scans of your energy in for analysis before I go to school?"

"Not at all, but why are you going to school?"

"Because you're not leaving the temple grounds until you're all better." Urd said. "I'll see to that and you can see that I tend to be a little... overzealous."

"Noted." Ranma said. "So you'll be my stand in in classes?"

"Yup." Skuld said. "My work around here is pretty much at a dead end."

"Speaking of work." Ranma suddenly became serious. "I'm not my father. If there is something I can do to repay you for the hospitality you've already shown me, then do not hesitate to ask."

"Arigato Ranma san." Bell said. "But I think we should all get some sleep now."

"Right. Skuld I'll probably be up early tomorrow. Wake me if I'm not."

One by one the others slipped off to bed with Urd putting out lights and locking doors. She stopped by Skuld's office and carefully stepped over the various cables shutting down generators and turning down voltage. She paused at the remote terminal to the Yggdrasil system and logged in. At a curious urge she logged a request for a status of the current occupants of the home requiring that the results be flagged urgent and sent to Skuld.

Shutting down the system Urd got a nagging feeling that somehow father was involved with this, but since there was nothing she could do, she went to bed to see what surprises the morning held.