Ah My Goddess Fan Fiction / Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction ❯ Shared Wishes, Shared Lives ❯ Chapter 3

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Shared Wishes, Shared Lives
Chapter 3

Ranma awoke to two sensations, the familiar scent of breakfast cooking, and the unfamiliar feeling of being gently shaken awake. He slowly opened his eyes to see Skuld standing by his bed and flinched back slightly.

"Sorry I-"

"I understand Ranma. That's why I left my mallet outside."

"I don't like feeling this way. You and your sisters have been nothing but nice to me, and I can't help but jump when you come around me."

"Ranma, you lived with a girl who bears more than a superficial resemblance to me, and did serious violence to you. From your memories I know that many you deserved and many more you didn't. All I ask is that you give me what she wouldn't give you. Give me your trust."

"I'll do my best Skuld. That's all I can do. You and your sisters already know more about me than I ever even thought possible. And on some level, I know that it ought to scare the life and soul out of me, but it doesn't."

"Ranma, after everything you've been through, I realize it's hard as hell to learn to trust anyone, but I'll be honest with you. I feel drawn to you, not just because of what we shared, but because I feel a genuine attraction to you." Ranma merely covered his face in his hands an let out a low bemused laugh. "I know, you're thinking 'Why me?' right? Believe me, I don't understand either. But I know Bell and Urd feel it too. I just had to get it off my chest."

"Thanks Skuld." Ranma said. "That's something I'll have to think about while you're at school."

"Kami sama! That's right! I wanted to do that scan!"

"Okay, Skuld. Do we still have time to do it?"

"Yes, but we gotta do it now." Skuld said grabbing his hand and leading him to her lab.

"Hey Skuld?" Ranma said. When the young Goddess of the Future looked at him, he gave her a warm smile. "Thank you for using my hand and not my ponytail."

Skuld smiled with a slight blush as she logged into the system and entering a complicated string of commands before a face appeared on the screen. "Hello, Yggdrasil Research and Analysis . How can I- Skuld!"

"Hiya Calexia. Look, I hate to be so rushed but I need a spirit analyzed."

"Right. Mortal or divine?"

"Mortal. His name is Saotome Ranma."

Calexia arched an eyebrow. "Really?" She said. "He's a rather unusual mortal, even by our standards."

"Callie, you don't know the half of it." Skuld laughed, guiding Ranma to a large clear portion of the floor, before making several quick yet fluid motions with her hands as a glowing circle formed around him. "Just stay still and enjoy the light show Ranma." She smirked with Ranma's own trademark cocky self assured grin. "Ready on our end."

Calexia finished her own circle. "Ready here."

"Let's do it." Skuld said as both Goddesses made the final motions to complete the spell.

Ranma was at first blinded by the wall of light that exploded before him from the circle, but soon surrendered himself to the delicious feeling as the power raced over, around and through him. It felt so pure, like love, friendship, and understanding rolled up in one.

It feels like trust. Ranma thought happily.

All too soon the sensation faded away and Ranma blinked in surprise when his feet touched the floor. "Kami sama..." Calexia breathed in surprise as she glanced at the monitor in front of her. "This'll take me a while for a full analysis but I should have it finished by this evening."

"Great Callie, I owe ya one. Gotta fly though! I'm late as it is!"

"Where are you off to in such a rush?"

"Furinkan High School." Skuld said spinning to change to into a Furinkan girls uniform.

Callie's eyes grew to the size of tea saucers. "Skuld please tell me you're not going there for a debugging."

"I was just going to get Ranma's work. Why?" Skuld said.

"You'll understand when you get there. See ya!" Callie said as the monitor winked off.

"I gotta go Ranma." Skuld said kissing him lightly on his cheek. "Please take it easy and don't push yourself too hard."

"Okay Skuld. And try not to be too hard on the others." Ranma gave her a little wave as she disappeared into the koi pond outside.

***

Skuld came out of the water and landed in time to fall in step with Akane.

"You're that girl from the temple."

"Skuld yeah. You're one of Ranma's fiancée's."

"Yeah, Akane. Is Ranma..."

"He's alive, but you and the others really hurt him bad."

"I'm ... I'm sorry I hit ya yesterday."

"I understand. Ranma is going to be staying with my sisters for a while until he's healed completely. I'm gonna be taking his place so he doesn't fall too far behind."

"Why?" Akane asked as she rolled her neck in preparation for the hentai brigade. "You just met him and you barely know him."

"He needs a friend right now. My sisters and I wanna give him what he needs." She blushed slightly and hoped the mortal girl wouldn't notice. "Let's deal with these perverts cause Kuno's probably gonna fall in love with another Goddess." She fingered her mallet absently. "Though I suspect he's gonna be mighty disappointed with my reaction."

In short order the martial artist and the goddess made short work of Akane's admirers before Akane carelessly backhanded a rose to the ground.

"Ah, The fierce Akane Tendou. Will you fly to me, my beauteous dove, now that I have driven the foul sorcerer Saotome from your radiant presence by my own righteousness?"

"Your righteousness?" Skuld repeated in shock. "As I recall not only did you have help but you were eliminated from that fight in the first thirty seconds."

"Alas! Even in defeat the vile sorcerer has ensnared another! What is thine name fair maiden that I may first free you, then date you."

"My name, Kunou baka, is Skuld Wodinsotter. I'll be filling in for Ranma while he recovers from you idiots trying to kill him yesterday."

"Oh such fire! Truly I must date thee!" Kunou exalted.

"But what of Akane Tendou," Skuld gestured to the steaming girl behind her. "and the pig tailed goddess?" Kunou stammered incoherently. "Pitiful. At least Ranma doesn't try collecting girls like trophies. Just for a laugh," She glanced at the school clock tower. "Should you manage to beat me today..." She paused now thoughtfully. "I promise on my honor to give you the honor of a single date." She felt a familiar tingle race through her body, knowing that the Ultimate Force was now in effect to ensure that she kept her word.

"Very well!" Kunou said lunging with his bokken. Skuld dodged a few strikes before she slung her mallet free and blocked hard enough to shatter the wooden practice sword, and batted away the remains with her hand,

"You are disarmed, Kunou. Do you yield?"

"Never! The Blue Thunder of Furinkan High will never yield to such a low born and common peasant as yourself! I-"

KLANG!

"Fight... on..." He mumbled around the mouthful of dirt before gracefully passing out.

Skuld sighed as she pried her hammer out of the kendoist's head. "I've gotta get a grip on my anger."

"You and my sister both. I take it you're a friend of Ranma's?" Nabiki asked.

"Thirty thousand yen." Skuld said coolly.

"Definitely a friend of Ranma's." She groaned reaching for her wallet.

"Keep your money Nabiki." Skuld laughed. "I'm Skuld. Ranma will be staying with my sisters and I until he recovers from a sneak attack."

"I see." She said slowly noticing her sister hang her head in shame. "And I assume he is not to be disturbed?"

"That's right." Skuld said evenly.

"So be it then." She said coolly and headed for the school.

"That's odd. My sister is usually on the receiving end of the yen, and she's always willing to sell information about Ranma."

"Believe it or not, Akane," Skuld said slinging her hammer onto her back and heading for the school. "there are some things that matter more to Nabiki than yen notes."

***

Urd watched over Ranma as he did some simple katas- simple for Ranma meaning no jumps over fifteen feet.

"Saotome.... I know that name.... " Urd mused. Something about Ranma had been nagging at the back of her mind since his introduction.

"Urd, are you well?" Bell asked.

"No, Bell. I've been through my memories a thousand times over and I cannot for the life of me remember where I've heard the name Saotome before."

"Why not ask Ranma? He's been through your memories as well, and he is a Saotome."

"Can't hurt." Urd mused, crossing to the pigtailed martial artist. "Ranma, can I ask you something?"

"Shoot." Ranma asked dropping into a kneeling crouch.

"There's something about your family name. I've heard it before, maybe even met someone but I can't remember where or who. Can you help?"

"Well Urd, a lot of your memories are foggy."

"Yeah, I know. For once I wish I didn't have so much to drink in my life." Urd said regretfully.

"Hmm. Can you help me with a few things?"

"Are you offering a trade?"

"Nope. I'm gonna help you anyway, but since you elected to be my guardian, I wanted to give you something to worthwhile to do in the meantime."

"So what did you have in mind?" Urd said curiously

"Well there's a physician in Nerima, Tofu Ono. I need a doctor to look at what happened to me yesterday. And I need to fix my problems. I promised Kami sama that I would and that's not something to take lightly."

"Hmm, well... I think if I were you..." Urd trailed off looking thoughtful. "Do you want my input?"

"I'd be quite grateful for it." Ranma said. "All my attempts to resolve the problem have failed."

"Here's what I suggest." Urd said outlining a plan. "Sweet and simple huh?"

"Very much so. But to do this I'll have to talk to Nabiki."

"Consider it done. I'll even do it the mortal way!" She winked, and headed for the gate.

"Thank you for helping Urd, Ranma." Belldandy said smiling.

"It's nothing Bell, but um... Skuld told me something that's really been eating at me. From your memories I know that goddesses aren't supposed to lie and you don't, so I know you'll give me an honest answer. How do you feel about me?"

"Ranma... Please... I can't answer that...." Bell said with tears welling up in the corners of her eyes. "I'm afraid of what it will mean."

"I see..." Ranma said patiently. "You fear that by admitting to having feelings for me you'll be betraying someone else?" Bell nodded miserably, on the edge of tears. "Oh, don't cry Bell... I hate when I make a girl cry. It makes me feel like such a leech."

"Gomen Ranma... It's just... I haven't been this confused since," Ranma waited patiently, but silently. "since my Keichi died."

"Bell, sometimes... the time comes when you have to start living again, but then again, I'm no expert. Just some practical advice you may wanna consider."

"I... Thank you Ranma. I will." Belldandy said softly. "Think about it, I mean."

"Good for you, Bell sama." Ranma said. "Now, it's getting late. Let's get started on dinner." He said as Skuld emerged from the Koi pond with a splash.

"Oh man! I'm so sorry Ranma!"

"It's okay." She replied nonchalantly. "I was gonna change anyway."

"Why?" Bell asked.

"Ah more of pops stupid ideas I have to shake. Cooking isn't manly in his eyes."

"Oh of all the-" Skuld began as Ranko poured her a cup of tea.

"It doesn't bother me. He seems to forget that for ten years, if it wasn't for my unmanly cooking skills, he'd have spent many a hungry night on the road. That and my domestic skills come to me more easily in this form. Now Bell, let's get started on dinner."

"Well lets see, we'll have the four of us, and your doctor friend and Nabiki make six."

"You better make it seven." A new voice as Calexia literally stepped out of a fading sunbeam clutching a manila folder.

"Callie!" Skuld exclaimed jumping to her feet. "You finished the scan?"

"Yes Skuld and there's some things you're not gonna like." She said grimly. "None of you."