Avatar The Last Airbender Fan Fiction ❯ Broken ❯ Prologue: Storm ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Author Crap:
Okay, this is my latest story. My first Avatar one too. The pairing will be ZukoxKatara. I just thought I'd tell you that now before you read too far into it. You can thank Outsane for my venture into this section.
Just so you know, I wrote this chapter before I saw all but two episodes. When I finally saw “Storm” I realized it was kinda similar (`specially the title.) At the moment, I've seen all but the first episode of Avatar, so I think I can do this better now. Just tell me if my characters are getting out of check or something.
So… Here we go.
Broken
Prologue: Storm
“The wind's picking up,” Katara shivered into the blanket wrapped around her, “And it smells like rain.”
Currently, Aang, Sokka, and Katara were high above the ocean. They had been worried about fire nation ships, but now they were worried that the clouds were turning black and the waves were crashing angrily beneath them.
“It would be bad if we got caught in a storm up here,” Sokka said, “Aang, look for land.”
While Katara was too worried to add her usual, “No duh,” Aang had no such qualms.
“I can't see anything,” the air bender leaned over Appa's head, “Maybe if we-”
There was a crackle of lighting as it streaked past them, causing the bison to veer to the left. Katara and Sokka stumbled over their footing as Aang straightened them out.
“I'm diving lower,” he shouted just as a loud booming thunder crashed over them. Appa dived, and the siblings aboard let out frightened yelps. They were safer from the lightning, but the waves were rising higher.
“Aang!” Katara shouted, “Too low!” Unfortunately, another rack of lighting drowned out her words.
“There's an island up ahead!” Sokka pointed to a mass of trees rising like a hill.
Appa once again swerved and Katara lost her footing, nearly falling off the bison. Sokka grabbed her hand and attempted to pull her up.
“We're almost safe!” Aang shouted over the roaring winds, “Just-”
Lightning struck just inches from them, and Appa panicked. The rocky motion caused Sokka to slide down farther as Katara was barely able to hold on. The motion did not slow, and a second crack of lighting caused both siblings to tumble from the bison, into the water below.
The air was pushed from Katara and she gasped for breath. Her hands flew about to find Sokka, her eyes stinging with salt. She could see Aang trying to control Appa and the darkness at the edge of her eyes. Someone grasped her arm, but the wave ripped them apart. Her head broke the surface as another wave crashed over her. And slowly her vision faded…
W00t, Author Time:
Short, I know. You learn to expect this with me. So, I'm hoping for some feedback here. Good, bad, you know, whatever. Next chapter should be longer (I hope.) So just review or something. Yeah, you know you want to.