Avatar The Last Airbender Fan Fiction ❯ Fun and Games ❯ Uncle Iroh ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Bunnie: Chapter 3!
 
Katara: Alright my chance to take out Zuko!
 
Zuko: When's my chance to take out Katara? On a date?
 
Bunnie: Eventually.
 
Katara: No! That's gross.
 
Bunnie: Come on, you know he's cute ^.^
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
Katara played with the water, tossing it back and forth in her hands. She had missed the way it felt, cool and calming. It wouldn't help her unlock the door though. The door could only be opened by fire bending. She carried the water in her hand as she walked towards the door. It seemed to be sealed perfectly. No cracks that she could put her water in. If only she could find one. She could freeze the water, expand the seems, and maybe open the door.
 
But there were none. So she would have to wait patiently until Zuko returned. Then she would knock him out quickly, run into the hallway, and find her way to the surface of the ship. She had a plan. Now to wait patiently.
 
A few hours later Katara sat on her bed, still playing with the water. She was so tired. But she couldn't fall asleep. She needed to keep the water. If she fell asleep, she would drop it. When would Zuko get here? Wait, had she thought that right? She was actually hoping for that creep to come. How ironic. At least when he got here she would be ready.
 
She thought about that kiss again, for what seemed like the hundredth time that night. Why had he done that? Shouldn't she have seen it coming and stopped it? Since when did he like her? She smiled smugly. What would Sokka and Aang say and do if they knew what had happened? She could just imagine Sokka barging in boomerang raised, steam pouring out of his ears. Or Aang, a tornado surrounding him; eyes and tattoos glowing. Suddenly she felt her jaw tremble. She missed them so much. It had only been a matter of days, but it seemed like forever. `How clichéd,' she mumbled to herself.
 
She heard a now familiar set of footsteps amble down the hallway and stop outside her door. She positioned herself just to the side of the door, pressed against the wall. The door opened and she attacked. A thin water whip followed by a bit of freezing subdued the person who had walked through the door. Katara stared in dismay. It wasn't Zuko who had come, but his Uncle.
 
“Well, well, looks like Zuko wasn't too good at keeping you away from your water,” he said cheerfully. He closed his eyes and concentrated. The ice that surrounded him melted and the water it had become quickly evaporated as Iroh raised his body heat. “Sorry to have disturbed you, but I could not sleep and I just wanted to see how you were doing.”
 
Katara hesitated. He was also the enemy, but he seemed sincere. As she looked at the old man she realized she couldn't hold it in anymore. “I'm doing absolutely miserable! I miss my friends, I hate this room, and Zuko is such a creep!” She wiped her face and sniffled.
 
“Poor dear, but let me tell you something. Zuko really is not a creep. He is my favorite nephew, but that is not the reason I am saying this. I know him very well; he is like a son to me. His own father rejected him so he feels abandoned. He does not know how to treat people because of this. And here's a secret,” he held up a hand and whispered in Katara's ear, “he even treats me poorly at times.” He let out a hearty laugh. “But do not worry, eventually he will learn. And maybe, you could help him. I only want what's best for him.”
 
“So you want to use me?”
 
“No, no you misunderstand. I only mean that maybe it could help better the both of you. And also I think you will be good for him. Besides, if he likes you, he will be more willing to let you leave. Ever think of that?”
 
In truth she had. She thought about it over and over in those long hours. She had thought about many things. The ones taking the most thought were about what if Zuko fell in love with her and worse yet what if she fell in love with him. At first it seemed insane, but after a while it stopped seeming so crazy. It even seemed plausible. Of course, she would never share that with Iroh.
 
“I don't know. I just… I don't know,” she reiterated.
 
Iroh placed a wrinkly hand on one of Katara's shoulders. “Everything will work out. You'll see.” With that he turned and walked out the door, locking it behind him. He wasn't one to purposefully invoke Zuko's wrath.
 
Katara stood alone in the room again. She thought about what Iroh had said. The idea she had had of Zuko being a one dimensional creep started to dissipate. She began to think of him as more of a lonely warrior. `Stop it brain! I don't want to romanticize him!' And yet she let her thoughts dwell on her lonely warrior idea for just a little longer.