Avatar The Last Airbender Fan Fiction ❯ Untitled for now ❯ Hikaru Awakens ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
Chapter 1
 
Hikaru woke up two weeks later, unable to figure out just what happened.
 
“Hikari?” she whispered, sitting up slowly. “Hikari, where are you?”
 
Iro came in at that moment, a bowl of water in his hands.
 
“I see you are awake, Miss Hikaru.” he said softly.
 
“Where is my sister?” Hikaru asked, panicking. Iro set the bowl down and sighed as he sat next to the bed.
 
“I'm afraid that your sister was too severely wounded.” he said softly. “She had an arrow through her lung and used the last of her energy to heal you. Her final wish was for you to live, since she could not. She knew she wouldn't survive.”
 
Hikaru choked back a sob as Iro moved to sit on the bed and hugged her.
 
“It's ok to cry, Miss Hikaru.” he said softly. “Sometimes we all need to let our self control slip for a while.”
 
“I wish I COULD cry.” Hikaru sobbed. “Why...why did my sister die and not me?!? Father always told me that Hikari was born lucky, and that I was just lucky to be born, so why am I still alive?!?”
 
Hikaru's sorrow had quickly turned to anger. Anger at herself, at the world, and at her own father.
 
“Don't say that, Miss Hikaru.” said Iro firmly, but softly. “Your sister wanted you to live. I heard her ask it of you with her last breath.”
 
Zuko, who was standing just outside the door, couldn't help but be shocked at Hikaru's words. His own father had said the same thing about him! He was dragged back to reality when Hikaru's rant continued.
 
“Because my family has an unusual lineage, my sister and I could master all the elements even though neither of us was the Avatar. But my sister was born blind, and she excelled at bending Earth, Fire, Water, and Air! I'm a master Air bender, according to my teacher, but when my father tried to teach me Fire bending after I mastered Water bending and Earth bending, he declared me useless and...” she broke off in tears. Iro stroked her hair for a bit until she settled down. “Now I have to wear makeup to cover the scar on my face...”
 
“There, there.” said Iro softly. “It's ok. No one here will judge you. My nephew, Prince Zuko, has a scar as well, also given to him by his father, Fire Lord Ozai.”
 
“Fire Lord Ozai?” asked Hikaru. “But isn't Fire Lord Souzen still in power?”
 
“Fire Lord Souzen died eighty years ago.” said Zuko, coming into the room. “The fact that you lived during his reign makes me wonder just how long you and your sister were frozen in that iceberg. Since you know Air bending, you would have had to have been frozen for at least one hundred years.”