Avatar The Last Airbender Fan Fiction ❯ Untitled for now ❯ The Proposal ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 2
 
Hikaru's eyes widened.
 
“A hundred years?” she gasped, then she chuckled nervously. “Wow, not looking forward to cleaning my room.”
 
“Miss Hikaru, one hundred years ago Fire Lord Souzen used Souzen's comet, which returns in three years, to annihilate the Air benders.” Iro said gently. “You may very well be the last Air bender alive.”
 
Hikaru chuckled.
 
“No, I'm not.” Hikaru said softly. “I can't tell you why I know that I'm not, but the Air benders yet live. We won't die out so easily.”
 
“Still, no one has seen an Air bender in 100 years.” said Iro. “The Air Temples were annihilated.”
 
Hikaru didn't reply, but she didn't look at Iro or Zuko either. Zuko sighed and sat on the bed.
 
“If you have nowhere to go, why not stay here on my ship?” he asked her. “Since you know Fire bending, we can spar or something.”
 
Hikaru looked away, her eyes shimmering slightly. Iro noticed, though, how her eyes never seemed to focus on anything in particular. Zuko, on the other hand, didn't seem to notice at all.
 
“I've never felt comfortable on ships.” she said softly, her eyes closing.
 
Zuko's POV
 
I noticed how the girl never seemed to open her right eye completely. It was like she couldn't open it all the way, just like I could only open my left eye halfway. And I'd never seen eyes that were as pale blue as hers either.
 
“Nephew,” said Uncle Iro. “I do not think having her stay on the ship is a good idea.”
 
“Why is that, Uncle?” I asked.
 
“Think about it, nephew.” Uncle said. “One young girl on a ship full of men could cause problems.”
 
I glared at my uncle, but knew he was right.
 
“You're right, Uncle, but where else can she go?” I asked. “The world has changed in 100 years, so I doubt she'd recognize anything.”
 
“I...I'd like to stay.” said the girl softly. “If it's not too much trouble, that is. I can work to earn my keep.”
 
“Very well.” I said, then turned and left the room. I made my way back to my room, briefly wondering why she never looked at my uncle or I, but decided it was likely because she was nervous.
 
Later that night, Hikaru's POV
 
I slowly made my way to Zuko's room, looking for him with my senses. I knew metal was simply purified earth, but it was still hard to use my earth sight at times. It took a while, but I finally found his room and knocked on the door.
 
“Come in.” he said gruffly. I opened the door and entered slowly, watching out for anything that may trip me. “What do you want?”
 
I looked down. “I...I know I offered to work to earn my keep, but...I...” I swallowed. “I was wondering if you had need of a slave.”