Azumanga Daioh Fan Fiction ❯ Todai Days ❯ Tyler and Sakaki ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
"Tyler and Sakaki"

Tyler closed the apartment door behind him, counting the yen in his money one last time; It was, after all, the only money the group had. It was up to him to buy groceries, while Shane was out buying school supplies(Which seemed like a dangerous idea, but Andrew was forcing him to in exchange for eating his copy of Excel Saga Vol.2). Andrew himself was visiting with Yomi and Tomo. The three had become good friends, but Tyler had his eye on someone else; He had not caught her name, but the simple sight of her sent his heart racing. The tall, raven-haired girl..

Lost in thought, he nearly fell down the steps.. Well, he did; But he managed to reach out and grab the railing as his legs smacked hard against the metal steps. He shouted a series of profanity that would make a sailor blush, until he was suddenly interrupted by a kind voice.

"Are you all right?" He let go and moved to his feet, about to dole out a sarcastic comment, but saw it was her; The raven-haired beauty! His face reddened and he laughed while scratching the back of his head.

"Umm, of course, of course! I was just surprised, thats all.. hey, you're that girl that lives next door.. S-so.. What are you doing here, huh?"

"I'm the girl that lives next door."

"Ehhh... Right, of course.. (Smooth, dumbass.. real smooth)"

"Actually, I was taking my cat Maya for a walk."the girl said, looking down at the small Irimote wildcat(though "wild" wasn't a very good description of the rather mild-mannered kitty cat, "Oh! I don't think I ever caught your name. How rude of me.. I'm Sakaki Tora. And you..?"

"Erm.. I'm Tyler. Mayes. Tyler Mayes" He said, extending a hand and shaking it with an embarassed smile; At least she didn't think he was a total ass. Sakaki, strangely enough, was smiling a little knowing smile; She must have gotten this a lot in the past. Not letting this opportunity escape, he attempted to start a conversation, "So, uh... You like cats huh?" He looked down towards Maya.. or rather, where Maya was. His jaw dropped as he saw the brown-and-black cat moving towards the road.. And a car,"Hey, look out!!"

Instantly, he sprung into action without thinking of the consequence and broke into a sprint that would have surprised even kagura, "Look out!"

The car just managed to stop in time before hitting the pedestrian that have dove for a cat in it's away. The driver was leaning out of his window, screaming at Tyler, and he was screaming angry-sounding apologies in return. Sakaki looked at the scene, stunned: The boy could've died saving that cat... And whats worse, she let Maya get away from her in the first place. Looking down in embarassment, she came and helped Tyler up. He was holding her cat, who had a shaken expression on his face, in his arms.

"I.. I'm sorry! I really am... I.. I just met you and I feel like I've caused you so much trouble." She bowed in apology. Tyler laughed awkwardly.

"Think nothing of it. How about you make it up to me by showing me where to buy some good food?" he suggested, and Sakaki agreed with a smile and a nod.

"All right. let me take Maya back inside. If you have time, why don't you come and sit? You can meet my roommate while you're there."
----

The door creaked open, and Tyler peeked in as Sakaki proceeded inside, holding Maya protectively in her arms.

"Interesting place you have here.." he said, smiling. Sakaki put down her cat and moved into the kitchen. he could hear her messing with untensils behind the thin wall.

"Well, it looks the same as your room, if I remember right."

'T-True....true." Strike two, man.

"Would you like a drink?" She asked as he took a seat on the couch. He nodded in conformation. As she vanished, he began shuffling through every pickup line in his head. Saying them in his head, trying to pick out the perfect one to give out to Sakaki. He got so into it he spoke one out loud to himself.

"Baby, I must be a bass, because you've caught me hook, line, and sinker." He shook his head at the cheesy line. Suddenly, someone else spoke to him.

"Erm, Why thank'ya." His eyes widened as he looked beside him; He was so lost in thought that he didn't notice Osaka sitting on the couch beside him.

"Well...this is embarassing...."

'Though, I gotta say, that was ah' pretty cheesy line, fella. Maybe you should come up with another one."

"Yeah....bass.., what the hell was I thinking.."

'What's going on?" Sakaki asked, coming back into the room holding two glasses of soda. Osaka quickly responded.

"Oh, this nice guy 'ere was just usin' some pickup lines on me.."

"No! I.. I.."

"You want to go out with Osaka?" Sakaki asked curiously. Tyler's eyes became a little hazy.

"I.. Don't feel so good.. Bye guys." He got up, and without another word, stumbled out the door. Even when Sakaki called a warning to him:

"Tyler, you're heading for the-"

BAM

'Stairs..."

Osaka said quietly, "I'm sure he'll be fine."

"I'm okay... i think" came Tyler's pain-raked voice from down the stairs.