Azumanga Daioh Fan Fiction ❯ Todai Days ❯ Karaoke Night ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
"Karaoke Night"
---
----SONG DISCLAIMER: The first song is "I CAN" by THe Pillows. The second is "As Embers Dressed the Sky" by Agalloch. The third is "Funny Bunny" by The Pillows. I own none of these songs.. But you should listen to them anyway!----


"Hey, .. Are you sure you two wanna come? THis sounds like it could be pretty boring." Sean sighed. Shane, neverthless, nodded and comfirmed his choice.

"Karaoke sounds fun. I want to hear how awful those girls are at it." Sean grinned impishly

"I agree. And you and Kagura are paying for it.. Free food and beer? How can you go wrong?"

"And you're any better?" Sean pointed out. The other American ignored him, as he lead the way to Yomi's apartment next door. Before they made it out, Tyler stopped them.

"Hey, where are you three headed?" Sean rolled his eyes and turned to answer:

"Kagura and I were going to a karaoke bar. Oh, excuse me, all of goddamn Japan is going to a karaoke bar!!" He roared, staring daggers at his friend. Tyler looked at him confusedly, so Andrew helped him out.

"Sean here thought he was going to go off on some romantic holiday with the girl down the hall, but she apparently invited her buddies to come along." Sean grunted and crossed his arms, looking out the door as Shane poked him repeatedly in the back of the head while muttering something about toads, "You wanna come?"

"Will Sakaki be there?"

"The girl that lives next door? Yeah, she's coming... Just to keep an eye on Osaka, apparently. Hey.." Suddenly, he realized Tyler was no longer standing in front of him; He was on his way down the stairs to Kagura's apartment, "Well that was a quick descision."

-----


"my twin who looks like me
but not that much
What's the matter?
Even your shoelaces
are just left untied
you're spacing out

the kiss of the hyena
that's lying in wait for us
a narrow escape
a bet that's almost impossible
by anybody's bet
I want to enjoy it

I think I can
I think I can
I think I can

I think I can
I think I can
I think I can

in the black forest without
day or night
the brave chameleon was
glaring at the discarded
compass

you went away without
saying a word
your simple 'Dear John'
was carved into the door
'I CAN'

I think I can
I think I can
I think I can

I think I can
I think I can
I think I can

I found out about your
irreplaceable dream
now I can't fool anyone anymore
sleeping or waking, I'm repeating
'I-C-A-N'

I think I can
I think I can
I think I can

I think I can
I think I can
I think I can
"I THINK, I CAN!"

Everyone in the bar and cheered and clapped as Sakaki stepped off the karaeoke stage, blushing rose red from the overwhelming attention. The dim lights above her were now blinking, making her head hurt a bit. She did not even look at the screen of the small TV screen, the numbers "99" blinked repeatedly- The highest score!! She sat down next to Tyler as the erupting crowd subsided and a new singer stepped up on the stage.

"That was great, Sakaki-san!" Tyler said with a grin. She smiled back and nodded.

'Thank you."

Yomi added, 'Yeah.. You get a higher score every time we come to this place. But you won't be able to anymore."

Tomo suddenly butted in, "Your score changes too, Yomi. You even got a two last time!" The brown-haired girl whirled around and gave her a karate chop to the ribs. Tomo sank down back into her seat.

"Quiet, that girl with the funny accent is about to sing!" Shane growled; Osaka had taken the stage, as well as the microphone. The music came on.. But it was unlike something you might normally hear in a karaoke bar. The tune was jarring and heavy, with a loud guitar in the background.. Yet Osaka managed to sing in a rather smooth, clear voice that carried each word a long distance.

"The shallow voice of the wind cries between these ebony wings
The shallow cries of the wind sing a swansong for mankind

Shine on morning skyfire
ablaze this final day
The autumnal end, the dawn of man
The centuries fade below my feet

There was a guitar break, as everyone stared in awe at the girl on the stage. Andrew's mouth was gaping open; Tomo held a similar expression. Sean looked confused. Kagura's eyes were wide open. Yomi was defogging her glasses, trying to make sure it was in fact Miss Kasuga on the stage in the first place. And, for some reason, Shane was crying. Suddenly, she began singing again, in a low gutteral voice that shook them all as the song rounded to a conclusion.

"I soared above them as they worthlessly poured thought from a chalice
As wisdom would flow, twilight would come to pass
Drink, oh hallowed cup of life

Shine on evening skyfire
Paint the sky with the blood of a raven
Bereavement, oh garment of ebony
As embers dress the dusk of man... "

Once again, everyone in the bar stood up to clap, save the group Osaka had actually come in with, who were all frozed with shock(Save, once again, Shane, who was lauging as if it was the worst thing he had heard in his life). The TV flashed: "94!"

"Wow.. I did it!" She giggled with a confident-yet-silly grin on her face as she sat down.

"What in the world was all that, Osaka?" Tomo asked breathlessly.

"What was.. What?"

"N..Nevermind." She sighed, and looked forward to Yomi, who was getting on the stage, "Uh-oh.. Guys? Did you bring your earplugs?"

"Roger." All the girls, as well as Sean, answered. Andrew and Shane looked at them with confusion as Yomi began her song. Slow music entered into it.. And then, broke out, the most horrific noise ever to erupt from the mawl of hell itself.

"Defying the voice of THE KING
you slipped OUT IN THE NIGHT laugHINg…

SITTING ON THE AUROROA ABOVE,
you invited me with OPEN arMS!!

UNRAVELING inTO scattered BEADS,
a beautiful present from the sleeping night sky…

Clowns, doN'T show your true FACES!!!
Like a joke, they disappeared ONE dAy…

Even today the world spins so easily
But with that speed my tears are also dried…

Your dream isn’t fulfilled by anyone;
it just comes on a strong wind one day…

Right about now, I wONDEr where you are and why…
I want to meet the form beHind the shine floating in those eyes…

Your dream isn’t fulfilled by anyone;
it just comes on a strong wind one day…

Even witHOut flying, I’m not inSECUrEEEE…
The ground is following…
Let’s go to that place we love…
If you’re here,I CaN do that…"

Yomi barely managed to make it out the door without being given a concussion as those who had not escaped the bar with fear tossed random things at her. She made her was out the back door, without complaint from the owner. Andrew did not join in on the tossing; he was sitting, staring straight at the wall full of fear.

"I guess we forgot to tell you that Yomi has the worst singing voice ever... Uh... Hey, you okay?" She waved a hand in front of his face; He didn't budge, "T-turned to STONE?!"

One person, meanwhile, seemed to be rather pleased; Shane had his fists clenched as tears ran down his cheeks, "M..My god... Beautiful..." He murmered, and rose his hands to the sky, "I must have her!!"

Unnoticed in the commotion, the TV screen blinked, "99!"

Machines have no taste in music, after all.