Battle Athletes Fan Fiction ❯ 4978 AD: The Legend of Tomoe Midou ❯ Trainer and Trainee ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 2: Trainer and Trainee

Daizeamon entered the infirmary with a yawn and reached for another cup of coffee. Karashima always had fresh coffee all day. Even at this late hour. He ignored the look she gave him. He began to move away but was stopped by a loud cough. He turned around and gave her a narrowed look. "What is it?"

Karashima gave him a put out look. "Kanzaki, it is way past the retirement hour. And that's your seventh cup of coffee of the day!"

"So?"

She stamped her foot. "What do you mean 'so'? You're never up this late, and you never ever drink that much! And what little coffee you do have is always with cream and sugar. That cup is black!"

Daizeamon looked down at the swirling black depths. He looked back up at her and arched an eyebrow. "So?"

She shook her head. "I guess that Midou girl really is a handful then. How long have you been training her?"

"About a week."

"A week?! And you're already reduced to late hours and caffeine?" She burst out laughing. "Oh my god! I can't believe the great Daizeamon Kanzaki has been felled by a mere slip of a girl. You know, she's not any more extraordinary than any of the other girls physically."

"That's where you're wrong, Yuki. She has limitless potential. Limitless." He turned away, heading back in the direction of the tracks. "She's going to be the death of me, I just know it…" he muttered.

Daizeamon drank his coffee as he walked back onto the fields, wanting the caffeine to kick in so he could cope with his charge's early mornings and late nights. He really had to stop this. He was the instructor not her. He sighed. But he had been so excited to start training her and improving her that he had agreed to her extra hours. Now he was feeling the repercussions. He had plenty of stamina himself… He looked down at the coffee. But he had never been reduced to caffeine by any of his students before. Damn girl.

But Yuki Karashima, the head nurse of the University Satellite, was right. Tomoe Midou didn't look exceptional, and physically, her body was pretty much built with the same lean muscle build as most girls. But that's where the similarities ended. Beneath all that seemingly normal muscle tissue there was a never-ending stamina. He couldn't explain it or understand it. It was just true.

He drained the last of his coffee and tossed the cup into the trash. She was still on the tracks. She should be in bed already. Enough of this. Forget excitement. It was time to be practical. He wasn't the best trainer in the galaxy for nothing. The caffeine kick would give him enough energy to bundle her off to her bunk. Then he could get a good night's rest and have her up in the morning at a decent hour. And make sure she ate her meals. She had heard from Yumika (Yuki's daughter and nurse-in-training) that Midou had skipped her breakfast and lunch and stayed out in the fields training. Tomoe would adhere to the diet he gave her. No skipping meals again. What did the girl want to do, drive herself into the ground?

"Midou!" he called just as she finished another lap. She grinned mischievously at him and waved. He rolled his eyes and crossed his arms over his chest as he stopped before her.

"Hello, Instructor. It's a nice cool night. I could definitely do a couple more laps!" She punched her palm. "And then I'll try the obstacle course again. Then the bike tracks. And after that-"

"Midou."

Her golden brown eyes looked up at him in surprise at his serious tone. He shook his head. "Right now, you're going back to your bunk to rest."

"What?!"

Daizeamon scowled at her. "Don't give me any lip! These late nights and early mornings are no longer healthy. Not to mention I know about your meal skipping. You'll never be a Cosmo Beauty if you don't take care of yourself."

Her eyes flared up and he knew he was in for it. "Oh, really?! Well, how the hell am I ever going to be a Cosmo Beauty by working the same hours as every other girl in this place? How am I supposed to get better than them if I don't put in extra hours to training, you stupid man?!"

He growled at her. "I'm not 'stupid man'. I'm your instructor and you will adhere to the training program I have designed for you! The reason I'm the best is because every girl I have ever trained has become a Cosmo Beauty. And it isn't because of late hours and skipping meal times. Doing that will assure you only a hospital bill, not the Cosmo Beauty title, you twit!"

"Twit?!" she screeched. Her eyes narrowed. "What do I care about your stupid training program? Those girls needed it because they weren't good enough to do it on their own. I am the great Tomoe Midou! I can out run, out jump and out class everyone in this school!" She jabbed Daizeamon in the chest. "And you know it, Instructor!"

"Oh, really now? I can take my pick of any girl here and make her the Cosmo Beauty. In other words, any girl I decide to make into a Cosmo Beauty will easily defeat the 'great' Tomoe Midou! Without trainers the battle for the Cosmo Beauty is just a cat-fight. And without me there is no real Cosmo Beauty. If you want that title Midou, I suggest you cart your skinny little ass into the bunks and get some sleep. And tomorrow morning I want you up at a decent hour and I want to hear that you cleaned your plate during breakfast. Is that understood?"

"Perfectly," she said acidly. She whirled away from him.

Daizeamon knew what she was planning before she did it. He grabbed her arm to restrain her just as she took off in a run toward the obstacle course. She had ignored the hand restraining her, but had clearly not expected him to hold on. Therefore she didn't expect the added weight. They both crashed into the ground, a tumble of bodies and dust.

He got up on his palms in a push-up like position and coughed harshly, waving away the dirt that blown up around them from that crash landing. "You stupid girl!" he shouted through coughing fits. "I knew you were going to do something idiotic like run off. But I figured you would at least be smart enough to not take me with you!" When no retort came Daizeamon was surprised. Was she actually going to be remorseful? "Why can't you just listen to me?" he asked in exasperation, hoping to provoke some response. When none came he became a bit worried.

The dust settled and he looked down. Tomoe was beneath him, her eyes closed, her body limp. "Oh, shit," he muttered. He bent down toward her, grasping her head in his hands, looking for any injuries. He let out the breath he was holding when he noticed none. He checked the rest of her and sighed with relief. She was fine. No injuries. He turned back to her face and froze.

Her eyes were wide in her face and her cheeks were becoming quite pink. He wondered about the deepening color of her cheeks for only a moment. Realization came to Daizeamon suddenly and his heart began to thud heavily in his chest. He was kneeling between her spread legs, his arms were on either side of her, one of his hands lightly touching her abdomen, and their faces were practically only a breath apart. He watched her lick her dry lips and everything inside Daizeamon was suddenly very male and not very instructor-like. He reeled in that wildness with an iron hand and moved away from her. His fists were clenched at his sides, the muscles in his arms straining to not grab her.

He stood over her, and she was still lying on the floor in that delectably sprawled position. Daizeamon reached for a good dose of his cold willpower and looked into her flushed face and wide golden brown eyes.

"I expect you to be up at a decent hour tomorrow and to be having breakfast with everyone else. Understood?" he said through gritted teeth.

She nodded.

He turned away and headed to his room, his legs carrying him swiftly away from very tempting Tomoe Midou. He couldn't believe it.

He needed a very cold shower.

* * *

Tomoe sighed for the umpteenth-million time as she munched on her breakfast. What had that been all about? She had been a bit surprised and a bit embarrassed to be in such a position, but mostly she just couldn't believe her instructor was that good-looking. That sexy white blond hair tied in a low ponytail and those fiery eyes. She trembled briefly remembering the look in those eyes. It felt as if the flames there had been trying to consume her. No guy had ever looked at her that way.

She had noticed the first time she had met him that he was downright pretty. Not a scratch on that handsome face, that lean, hard body, the intelligent eyes and strong jaw, that lovely white blond hair that just complimented skin that had clearly been in the sun way too long… She sighed again and took another bite of her breakfast. She had tried not to think about it when she had been training with him this last week, hoping that she would just stop noticing and no longer be affected. But after what happened last night…

Tomoe looked down at her food. Well, she was eating her breakfast like he said, but she hadn't gotten much sleep. She had been up half the night thinking about those eyes and the look he gave her. She had been very aware of her body last night, more so than she had ever been in her sixteen years of life. Hmmm…What was it about him?

"Did you see Trainer Kanzaki this morning?"

"Mm-hm… Who could miss him? He went swimming like usual, didn't he?"

"Yeah, he hadn't done his morning swim in like a week. The pool was packed with twice as many students."

"Does he even care that they all gather to watch him? Doesn't it bother him?"

"No way! I'm sure enjoys the attention. Not like he ever gives any back. He's a trainer and he takes his job way to seriously. He would never give a student any kind of hope! And I've heard he's cold even to the other female trainers who have their eye on him. Don't think he wants anything to do with a relationship."

"You sure it's not that he's gay?"

"Nah. I heard that he was quite a playboy when he was still in training. I just heard he liked to keep all his personal affairs private."

"Where'd you hear this?"

"Heard the Headmaster talking to Nurse Karashima about it."

"Ha… But he's so hot in his swim trunks…"

"So you were there."

"Of course! Didn't you know? I'm part of the fan club. We meet regularly there to cheer him on in his laps and to admire that hot body…"

"That's just so ridiculous."

"Maybe, but you haven't seen Kanzaki in just his swim trunks have you?"

"No…"

"Well, maybe you should! Whoa…it sure makes my day worthwhile…"

Tomoe had eaten the rest of her breakfast without even noticing. Her instructor had a…a…fan club? She thought she had been the only one to notice how handsome he was. Seemed like the rest of the student body had gotten that idea too. Not like she cared. He was her instructor in the end. Tomoe smirked to herself. She had the best and the most handsome instructor in the universe.

"What are you grinning about, Midou?"

Tomoe looked up and saw a tall girl with long orange hair and flashing blue eyes. The girl was beautiful, which made Tomoe grumble, but she was also well built as an athlete. She was good.

"I don't see how it's any of your business," Tomoe said haughtily as she stood up with her empty tray.

The girl's blue eyes narrowed. "Well, I say it is. You haven't been here in two days. I heard Instructor Kanzaki had to order you to eat because you were too stupid to do it yourself. Keep it up. If you do, he'll probably tired of you fast and ditch you."

"Oh?" Tomoe shrugged nonchalantly. "I have no idea what you're talking about."

"Gina, give it a rest. She doesn't know what you're talking about. This is just her first year after all."

Tomoe turned to the new voice and her jaw almost dropped. If she had thought the orange haired, blue-eyed girl had been beautiful then this one was a goddess. Her black hair hung down her back and green eyes flashed. She smiled and Tomoe felt a chill run down her spine. This…this girl was…

"But Nelly…"

"No, buts. I know you're my cousin, but you don't have to harass Midou because of me. She didn't give the order. The Headmaster did. I don't know what is so special about Miss Tomoe Midou from Yokohama, Japan, but I do know that I don't want to lose to her." The green-eyed beauty smiled pleasantly and turned away. The girl named Gina rushed up behind her and walked next to her.

Tomoe turned to the first person beside her. Monique Walker, a junior, violet hair, violet eyes and violent. "Hey, who were those two?"

Monique gave her a contemptible look that had Tomoe fuming. "That was Gina Gallagher and Nelly Magee from Ireland. Nelly's been the Cosmo Beauty for two years running. Ever since she got to the University Satellite."

Tomoe shook her head in amazement. No wonder she'd felt so freaked. The Cosmo Beauty… Tomoe grinned. She would be like that too. This year the title would be hers and she could look at people and send chills up their spine! Tomoe blinked.

"What do they want with me?"

Monique rolled her eyes. "You know, you're really airheaded, Midou. Nelly's been the Cosmo Beauty for two years running. And now you show up and steal her lime-light and her instructor, which as far as she's concerned, is her man." Monique got up and walked away, leaving Tomoe to stare in astonishment.

Nelly Magee's been the Cosmo Beauty. That means that Instructor Kanzaki was once that beautiful girl's trainer! Tomoe gnawed on her lower lip. He made her into a Cosmo Beauty and a really good one at that if Tomoe was any judge. She could tell when someone was good and Nelly was…perfect. She slammed her fist into her palm. This was fantastic! At last she had a rival! The current Cosmo Beauty knew that she, the great Tomoe Midou, was next in line for the glory because Daizeamon Kanzaki was training her. Not only that but Miss Nelly Magee thought that Kanzaki belonged to her? HA! Instructor Kanzaki was now Tomoe Midou's instructor and no one's man.

Tomoe sped out of the cafeteria elated. Nelly Magee, the Cosmo Beauty. Tomoe grinned widely. She would squish Miss Magee like a bug. No one could defeat the great Tomoe Midou! No one! She then skidded around a corner, heading to the fields.

Tomoe wondered what Kanzaki looked like in just his swimming trunks…