Beyblade Fan Fiction ❯ A New Family: Kai's Cold Beginnings ❯ Who Needs Friends? ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Wingzero: This story is overdue for an update.

Kai: I don't think so.

Wingzero: I think so and so does our reviewers.

Kai: -- I despise them.

Wingzero: *ignores him* Anyways, you're probably wondering why I had Ray thrown into the mix. Well... Kai doesn't like Tyson's personality and doesn't want Ray to be like him, cause he'll end up with three annoying people. Yes, that includes Max. Also Kai loves Ray like a little brother. He wants Ray to be the best blader he can be, but he doesn't want to show it. Somewhat like Seto, but he shows it to Mokuba. ^o^

Kai: --U I despise you.

Wingzero: This will be a Kai/Tyson fic. So if you see a little Ray in the mix, it's because Kai thinks of Ray as a little brother.

Ray: --UUU Why me?

Disclaimer: Does it look like I own Beyblade?

Slipping out from my bed, I stood up and stretched. Another day, another day of training waiting for me. I took one glance at my room mate, who was fast asleep. I wondered what he was dreaming of, as he had a huge grin plastered on his face. Wish I had those kind of dreams, but no, I had to have nightmares. At least he was having good dreams.

I quickly made my way to my dresser before pulling out my usual outfit. Changing quickly, I thought about the different attack and defensive maneuvers I can do. Ever since we won the tournament, I had been creating new moves, seeing mine were predictable. I learned that power wasn't everything.

You can have the most powerful bit beast, but without skill, you might as well have the weakest, because you were going to lose. Max's mom learned the hard way. Technology and science isn't everything. You need a fighting spirit. Heck, I could have told her that. Even Tyson knew that, which surprised me. Then again, he believed in fighting with your heart. Tch, if you relied on that, the chances of winning was unpredictable.

As I finished changing, a rustle sounded behind me. I spun around, thinking that Ray had woken up, only to find him rolling over in his sleep. At least he doesn't require extreme measure to be woken up unlike some team mate of mine. Not again, why do my thoughts constantly go back to that blue haired boy? It was getting really annoying. Must think of other things like winning and my bit beast.

I closed the door softly and walked calmly out towards the kitchen. As I neared the room, I heard the clicking of keys and the obnoxious voice of Dizzi. Kenny must have pulled another all nighter. Who's blade was it this time? Most likely it would be Tyson's, seeing as he needed more help than the rest of us.

"Kenny get some sleep," I said walking past him.

"That would be nice," Dizzi said sarcastically. "Unfortunately, SOMEONE has to finish upgrading the team's blades last night."

"Well, I couldn't sleep without trying these," Kenny said, while motioning towards a messy stack of papers. He had hastily scribbled the different diagrams and mathematic equations. "I've managed to increase Tyson's attack power." Thought so. "Max's defense and accuracy have also been increased." Didn't see that one coming. "I've increased Ray's attack and defense." Definitely didn't see that one. "I also built you a new beyblade." SAY WHAT!!!!

I raised my brow in curiosity. "Why even bother?"

Kenny looked taken back by my comment. "Well, I had originally intended to give it to Tyson's but it wouldn't go well with his bit beast. Then I thought of you. If all goes according to calculations, you should be receiving a twenty five percent increase in power."

I grabbed it as he handed it over me and inspected it. Maybe I should give this a test run. Turning, I was about to head out to practice, when I felt my stomach demanding attention. I needed to eat something. Kenny glanced in my direction curiously before quickly looking away, after seeing me glare at him.

"By the way, if there should be any problems, I'll fix them as soon as I can," Kenny mentioned while typing away on his laptop.

"Easy there chief, don't want to pull a muscle," Dizzi teased our team genius and strategist.

"Very funny," Kenny returned.

Let's see what we have. I opened the door to one of the cabinets. Figures, Tyson purchased several sugar coated cereal, as if he wasn't hyper enough. Then again, he ate a whole lot more than us combined. I moved over to the fridge for some leftovers, when I saw Kenny still at the table typing away.

"Did I not say go to sleep?" I asked harshly. I may not admit it, but they've grown on me. As team captain, I make sure they were healthy and strong.

"I'm almost finished," Kenny pleaded with me. "I've finished updating your stats and now I'm saving it." With that, he pressed the button to save the file.

"Phew," Dizzi sighed with relief. "I thought you would never stop."

"Relax Dizzi," Kenny said. "We're finished for today." He tried to sound reassuring.

"Right," Dizzi said sarcastically. "And I'm the tooth fairy."

I went back to rummaging through the fridge for something edible to eat. On second thought, Tyson would have gotten to them before I could. Where does he store all that food? Ray doesn't eat as much as Tyson; yet he was taller than the boy.

Picking up a few pieces of bread, I placed a couple into the toaster before grabbing the container of margarine. We used margarine, since Max was going on a diet. I didn't think he was fat, even if he ate a lot. His hyperactivity used up several of his calories. Therefore, he didn't gain weight. Good thing, he wasn't going on a grape fruit diet. I can't stand that stuff.

I gathered a dish, a butter knife, and the margarine, then placed the items on the table. While my bread was in the toaster, I poured myself a cup of orange juice. Normally, I would have gone for coffee, but I needed the calcium and vitamins, not the caffeine. When my bread was finished, Kenny had already left the table and gone to bed. That boy needed more sleep. During our training session, I saw him nod off a few times.

As soon as I finished, I washed my dishes and headed towards our practice bey stadium. If you were wondering, the Bladebreakers and I have rented an apartment in the US. Don't ask me why we were here, because honestly, I don't even know why I agreed to this. We planned on staying a few months, training with the All Stars. Max's mom wanted to study our techniques and fighting spirit in action. Why did I even agree to this? Maybe it was to get away from my grandfather. Ever since he had forcibly removed me from my parents, I had been trying to find ways to get away from him. This opportunity presented itself and I took it without thinking it through. In less than a week, we will start training with them. I can hardly wait.

At the stadium, I carefully took out my bit beast and placed him into his new home. Setting my new blade into the launcher, I took aim and let it rip. My blade immediately shot forwards into the stadium, where I wanted it to land. I allowed Dranzer to warm up before I would put him through his paces.

I picked up a nearby rock and threw it at my blade, while shouting an attack. Dranzer's quick reflexes and skill took over. He sent quite a few fire arrows at the rock, completely destroying it. Good. His aim had improved ever since I changed his training regiment. I had thrown a few more rocks at the fire bird, whom shot every single one of them.

"Let's move onto our new moves, shall we?" I asked him. Dranzer squawked a yes. "Flame shot!" (Where do you think I got this from?)

Dranzer had circled the stadium once before sending a huge ball of fire to the other side. He then made another round and sent another fire ball at the rock I had thrown this time. We had perfected this move, but we still need to practice. After spending fifteen minutes on this maneuver, we moved onto another one.

"Final burst!" I ordered my bit beast.

Suddenly, Dranzer bursted into flames and shot forward. He encircled the stadium a couple times before extinguishing his fire. We still need to work on that. His level of fire kept fluctuating while he circled the stadium.

Out of nowhere, a silver blur headed straight towards my beyblade and crashed into it. Leaning forwards, I tried to recognize who's blade it was. Since it was on the attack and it was colored silver, it must be Tyson's blade.

A cheerful face greeted me as he stepped into view. He gave me a victory sign. What was he doing? I glanced downwards and saw what he meant. His beyblade was pushing mine out of the stadium. I glared at my team mate as he giggled at my reaction. Wait until I show him.

"What is it, Ray?" I emphasized his name.

"Just having some fun," Ray answered with a sly smile.

"Whatever," I said, recalling back my blade. Catching it in a fluent motion, I glared at he caught his own beyblade.

"Beyblade isn't just about winning," Ray tried to explain to me. "It is also about having fun"

"And what would you know about it?" I asked, placing my hands on my hips.

"I have been seriously studying beyblades all my life," Ray recalled his history. "I have missed out on having fun and spending time with my friends, but I have changed before it's too late. You can change before you get locked into this mentality."

"What's wrong with that?" I raised my brow in curiosity.

Shaking his head, Ray looked anywhere but at me. "You don't understand. Perhaps you never will." He then moved back towards our apartment.

Sighing, I went back to my practice. Several times, Ray tried to make me understand. In response, I have given him the cold shoulder. Beyblading wasn't for the weak. It was for the strong. Many people considered it a game; however, I considered it my life. This time was different. It appeared he seemed defeated. Why do I even care about his feelings and why did I protect him against those bladers last week?

After who knew how long, I turned to take a break from my training and who should I find? Tyson stood there with his hands on his hips, his usual grin gone. Instead he glared daggers at me. What did I do wrong? Why do I even care about his opinion? It never bothered me before, but now, I have this strange feeling. Could it be guilt? No, it couldn't be. I knew it can't be.

"What is it Tyson?" I asked very coldly.

He stood there glaring even harder, as if it was possible. "What did you do to Ray?"

"It's none of your business," I replied, stuffing my blade and launcher into my pocket.

"He was only trying to help you, but you keep pushing him away," Tyson said harshly. "We're all trying to help you cause that's what friends do."

"I don't have friends," I replied, while thinking of my friends. All of my childhood friends have been taken away. When my grandfather had taken me, we left the island completely and moved onto the main island. I never saw my friends, but then I wouldn't recognize them. The friends I tried to make here were scared of by my guardian.

"What about the Bladebreakers?" Tyson persisted. He managed to keep calm during our entire conversation. Normally, he would have exploded in my face.

"They're just team mates," I said. Hey, I didn't have to explain myself as I was the team captain.

"So that's what you think of us?" He wouldn't give up. I should have known. He was more persistent than any of the others.

That brought into mind, what did I think of the others? As far as Kenny, I respect him as an expert on beyblades. Even though he didn't know everything on beyblades, he was willing to learn and correct himself. Max, I don't hold a high opinion of him, but he does have good defensive maneuvers and tactics. Ray, I respect him as a fellow beyblader, maybe even as a friend. I knew I have these feelings for him, but I could tell they weren't romantic in any way. Last but not least, there was Tyson. I was completely clues on my feelings about him. What did I feel towards him? I didn't know.

"I thought so," Tyson said exasperated. "At this rate, you'll be all alone. Don't say I didn't warn you, because I did."

Did I want to be alone? Why not? There wouldn't be any distractions, and I can concentrate on my training without being bothered. I will become a master beyblader before I reach my early twenties if it happened. However, it was unlikely as I had team mates. Why did I even agree to join the team? Now that I thought of it, I have been asking myself a lot more questions lately, without receiving any adequate answers.

Turning on his heels, Tyson stormed away from the stadium and headed towards our apartment. He sure seemed furious at me. Why should I care? I didn't care even if he was angry. He needed to cool down.

You know it seemed very strange for Tyson to be this angry. At times, he would be ticked off at me or others. Judy and the All Stars knew how to push his buttons, especially Emily. Heck, she even knew hot to get anger myself. Even if I don't show it, she may or may not know, but I will never know. She too kept secrets.

"Max, I know you're hiding out there," I said, without looking back.

Sheepishly, Max came out of his hiding. He had a goofy grin on. I have hardly ever seen him really angry or sad. Perhaps, the only time I have seen him was during the American tournament. He had been really upset when Kenny chose me instead of him to fight in the finals.

"Why do you keep pushing us away?" Max asked completely innocently. His eyes widened, making him look cute as a puppy.

I shouldn't look. I shouldn't look. I shouldn't look. I turned away from him. "I don't have any friends," I told him, but I didn't add the last part. Because my grandfather kept taking them away from me. I learned the hard way, when I felt broken after my friend couldn't see me. We had to break our friendship, because of my friends' health. Grandfather saw friends as a weakness. That was why he never allowed me to have any.

"Why?" He asked once again.

I don't have to tell him, but I couldn't look at him either. "I can't tell you."

"Please tell us, we want to help you," Max practically begged to know. "We can't help you if you don't allow us."

Unfortunately I turned around and saw his face. I quickly looked in the other direction.

"You can't help me. No one can."



Wingzero: What a lame ending.

Kai: You said it.

Wingzero: --U I resent that. I will try to do much better, but I have finals coming up.

Kai: Good.

Ray: I don't mind.

Kai: She likes you.

Ray: ^^U *ends the chappie before anyone could say anything*