Beyblade Fan Fiction ❯ A New Family: Kai's Cold Beginnings ❯ Of Thoughts & Flashbacks ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Kai: Why do I think of him as my little brother?

Wingzero: I could make it something else yah know?

Kai: I resent you!

Wingzero: I know you do.

Kai: .........

Ray: Whasup?

Kai: Your girlfriend, that's what!

Ray: Huh? *sees Wingzero in her gundam form*

Kai: *looks up* O.O!!! Eep!!! *faints* @_@

Ray: *nearly faints*

Wingzero: Yah think he has never seen a gundam before.

Disclaimers: Uh..... you know the drill.



Turning on my heels, I quickly walked away before I did or said anything I might regret. Max has that kind of atmosphere around him. He can get the most stubborn people to open up to him with his puppy looks and attitude. Back there, I almost lost it and told him, but I had enough training to withstand such a force. Then again, he was very open and honest about his feelings. If he tried to hide them, I knew it was something bad, because he didn't want to offend anyone.

"Kai, wait for me!!!" Max yelled as he tried to keep up with me.

Not wanting him to catch up, I took off in one direction, hoping to outdistance him. For once, I was grateful for those long workout sessions they made us endure every day. I wouldn't have been able to outrun the hyper boy. Soon enough, Max started to lag behind, trying to catch his breath. He stood there, leaning against a wall panting.

I rounded the corner and slowed down a little. As I blended into the crowd, my thoughts kept turning back to my parents and to a certain team mate of mine. Why did my grandfather take me away from them? Was it to fulfill his desires of creating the perfect beyblader? I remembered my first day at Grandfather's mansion.

Nearly running into a pole, I decided it would be best if I wasn't in deep thought while walking through a busy area. It was dangerous to my health, not that I cared. Why should I care if I live or died? My only purpose in life was to become the perfect beyblader. And what has that accomplished? Nothing, it brought me no joy, only pain and suffering.

My parents, did they miss me? Probably not, it had been a long time, since I've seen them. I wondered if they would recognize me. Seriously, I doubted that possibility. If they even do, would they accept me for what I have become? I remembered I was a happy child, somewhat of a mix between Tyson and Max. Then my grandfather showed up and everything changed.

Should I even bother looking for them? It will take me a long time tracking them down, since I don't have much information on them. Heck, I don't even have a picture or any piece of information on them. My grandfather made sure he severed every link or connection to my past when he made me join their organization. My past memories, I had only a few remaining ones. The ones they couldn't take away from me. Secretly, I cherished them like the first beyblade my parents bought me before I was forcibly taken away. Since I joined their little club, most of my memories came from there.

I headed towards the park, not caring about the people who stared at me. What was wrong with them? Haven't they seen a kid with blue triangles on his face? Probably, they have seen me with my team mates. No, we weren't that famous. Since I have practiced the entire morning, I decided to sit down and reflect on my past. There were some things unanswered. Sitting down underneath an oak tree, I leaned against it and pulled up my knees while putting my head on them. I needed to sort out my thoughts first.

Why did my grandfather take me away from my parents? He told me that they were too poor to support me and that he would take care of me. At first I didn't believe it, because my parents did everything in their power to give me what I needed. I didn't lack anything, except new clothes every year, but I got them when I outgrew them. They never deprived me of food. In fact, there was always something to eat, though we use a lot of coupons. One of my chores was to cut them out so we could use them when we go to the grocery store.

When I first arrived at his mansion, I couldn't believe my eyes. Why would he want to live in such a big place when it was lonely? When I started asking questions, he scolded me with a slap to my face. I still remembered it hurt, it hurt a whole lot. I wasn't talking physically; emotionally it was painful. What was wrong about being curious?

That was when my training started. The first day, Grandfather allowed me to explore the mansion. I guessed he wanted me to know the area so that way I don't get lost and take more time than necessary find my way around. I thought I was going to have a fun time living with my grandfather. Boy was I ever wrong. Living with my grandfather was a living nightmare. The second day, my training began with a grueling workout. He expected me to lift weights, do sit ups, push ups, and aerobic exercises. By the time my workout was finished, I was completely done, but my grandfather had much more in store for me. He had me launch my beyblade until my arms were numb. He wanted nothing but perfection. How can I be perfect on my first day?

The days went by and my training grew intense. Soon it became months. The hours became longer and the intensity became almost unbearable. Worst of all, he was slowly starting to mold me into an emotionless beyblader. He said that love was a weakness; whereas I saw it as a strength. It wouldn't be long before I too saw it as a weakness. One day while I was training, my grandfather met this man. He went by the name of Boris.

The strange man brought me to this facility, where they trained several beybladers. They were ruthless and emotionless, just like how my grandfather wanted me to be. I stared at them as they launched their beyblades into the stadium and fought each other. The weak ones were rejected from the institution, while the stronger ones became even stronger. Why was I here? I wasn't that strong or good enough to join their ranks, was I?

***********Flashback**********

"Grandfather, why are we here?" I asked him as we walked through the doors. This was my first time here and from what I heard they only accepted the best.

"This is no time for questions," Grandfather scolded me. He twisted my arm.

I could remember the pain. As quickly as it came it left. It must have been a warning to keep my mouth shut and listen to what our host had to tell us. I wanted nothing more than to get out of here with my sanity in tact. They looked like a bunch of zombies, if you asked me.

"This is your protégée?" Boris looked down at me.

"Yes, he is," Grandfather said coldly. "My grandson has been doing quite well, since I took over training him."

"Is that so?" Boris raised his brow in curiosity.

"Yes," Grandfather confirmed what he had said. "Before I adopted him, he had no training regiment whatsoever. With my help, he has drastically improved."

"We shall have to see," Boris said, inspecting me. What does he think I am, a pet for sale? "This way." He motioned for us to follow him. Before leading us to the training room, he gave my grandfather and I a quick tour of the facility.

Boris led us to a training room with several dishes inside it. I glanced around to find many beybladers battling each other. They had cold hard faces and scowls on their faces. Didn't they ever have any emotions? I guessed not. What did this place do to them? I don't want to end up like that. I wanted of here right now!

I tried to pull out of my grandfather's grip, but he held onto me firmly and literally dragged me to one of the empty dishes. Standing there, I wondered what they had in mind, when a red headed boy stepped out from the crowd.

"Hiwatari," Boris addressed my grandfather by his last name. "This is Tala, one of our most promising students." This Tala had a grim expression.

"Kai, you will battle Tala," Grandfather ordered me. His harsh voice left room for no questions.

Why would I want to battle Tala? What did he ever to do me? Why should I follow your orders when I am perfectly capable of thinking on my own? Why did you even take me away from my parents just so you can train me to be the perfect beyblader?

"Tala, you will fight Kai," Boris commanded the red haired beyblader.

Tala stood there with his launcher ready. He was prepared to go into battle while I, on the other hand, seemed reluctant. I didn't want to fight so I can prove how far I've progressed. This was a game and it should be fun.

"Kai," Grandfather said sternly before shoving me onto the floor. He was about to slap me when I pulled out my beyblade and launcher.

The first thing I do after I win was to escape from this nightmare. I will show him I wasn't anybody's little toy. As I readied my beyblade, I noticed a few others watching our little battle. Apparently, Boris told the others to watch so they can learn. He mentioned something about Tala being 'one of our most promising students.' Can he back that up?

"Doesn't he ever speak?" I thought to myself, getting ready to launch my beyblade.

Soon, we had launched our beyblades into the stadium. Tala wasted no time and started attacking my beyblade. Two can play that game. So he wanted to play hard, I can play hard. When I had trained, I increased my strength and speed. My beyblade became a blur and caught Tala off guard when it looked like it disappeared from the stadium.

Tala narrowed his eyes, trying to find my beyblade. I smirked as his eyes darted from one side to the other and then back again. Giving up so soon? He should have known. You never underestimate your opponents, unless you want to lose. I may be smaller than him, but that doesn't mean I have a few tricks up my sleeve.

"Not bad," Boris said, watching me.

"What did I tell you?" My grandfather boasted.

When his attack failed, Tala searched the entire stadium for my beyblade. He frantically tried to catch me off guard. Even though he looked calm and collected on the outside, I can tell he was starting to become nervous every second. I needed to wait until the right time to make my move and then he will fall prey to my attack.

As he passed my beyblade, I ordered it to attack. It caught Tala completely off guard, and he took a few moments to recover. When he finally recovered, I had moved close to him so that he couldn't attack me. All I needed was to gain momentum and then slam into him. Staying close as possible, I followed him as he circled the stadium, attempting to lose me. He even made a few tight turns, but I kept on his tail.

Now was the time to make my move. I had my beyblade look like it was falling behind. This should catch him off guard, when I make my move. I slowly started to fall further behind as his blade sped up. When he was further ahead of me, he tried to attack my beyblade, but I had moved it out of harm's way. In a matter of second, I turned and sped off to the direction he should take, if my calculations were correct.

Yes, I was correct. In less than a second, I had Tala's blade flying out of the dish and landing in front of his feet. I won my first battle here. I should be proud of myself, when I remembered my escape plans. The other students were shocked that I had won and stared at Tala's blade.

I moved to catch my beyblade, but then at the last second made a break for the door. The others didn't sound the alarm until a minute later, when reality sank through their thick skulls. I wasn't going to waste a second, watching their reactions.

It was a good thing, Boris showed us around here or I wouldn't have known where to go when I made my escape. The personnel didn't know what was coming until it was too late. A few workers were in the hallway when I had made my escape. They were working on something or another and had their attention completely at the task at hand. I had easily slipped by them when they finally comprehend that I was trying to escape. If all the people here were like this, then this should be no problem.

Turning the corner, I nearly collided with another student here. I pushed past him and sprinted down the hallway. Darn! That was a few precious seconds I lost there. With my training regiment, I had gained more muscle than I thought, and I had kept gaining them. I was able to make up for the few seconds I had lost. Now that I had some time to think, wasn't he supposed to be in the training area with all of the other students or something?

I shouldn't be thinking about that. I should be concentrating on getting out of here alive. Bounding up the stairs, I had made it to the ground level. The outside light nearly blinded me as I headed towards the windows and doors. Before long, I reached the front doors and bursted through them. I was free at last.

"Oh crap!" I muttered loudly, when I heard people running and cursing. I had to get out of there as soon as possible. Without thinking, I took off in one direction, hoping to lose them in a crowd. Since I was small, it was easier for me to maneuver through the busy crowds than the adults. They had to push and shove the other people, who were angry at being bumped or pushed.

Every muscle in my body protested as I tried to run. When I glanced back, I couldn't find them in the crowd so I moved into one of the shops. Hopefully, they wouldn't think twice of looking for me here. I certainly hoped and prayed not.

Hiding behind one of the bookshelves, I peered from behind it to find my grandfather and Boris scanning the crowd. I could barely see them, which means they can barely see me. I watched as they cursed and shoved innocent bystanders out of their way. They were on a war path. I hoped they wouldn't catch up to me, because I can tell my punishment was going to be severely harsh. Why does life have to treat me like this? I was happy, full of life until my grandfather showed up. My life completely changed after that.

I watched as they completely went past my hiding place. Knowing that they would still be there, I hid out until one of the store employees found me. What should I tell him?

"Is there anything I can help you with?" He asked politely. Then he noticed I was in the young adult reading section. "The children's section is over there."

"I can read these," I pointed to the young adult books. Along with beyblading, my grandfather taught me reading and other useful subjects. He didn't want me to grow up without some sort of education, because I wouldn't be able to get ahead.

"Oh, okay, if you need any help, just ask," he said before wandering off to help another customer. If he could defeat my grandfather, that would be nice.

Deciding to keep my mind occupied, I wandered up and down the aisle looking at the books. I found mystery, action or adventure, science fiction, or fantasy to be good reading. Romance novels were nasty. They had mushy scenes. How can anyone read that? It made me want to hurl, when I read the kiss scenes.

I picked up a few books and read their summaries before scanning through the books. Some of them looked interesting like the Lord of the Rings. I wanted to read these, when I get the chance. Maybe, I can borrow them from the library. Surely, they will have this popular series.

When I was going to put it back, I felt a hand grab me roughly. I looked up to find Boris, with an angry face. I screamed and yelled for him to let go, hoping that someone will come to my rescue. Darn! I didn't think they would be this smart to locate me.

A hand soon covered my mouth and I did the only thing I could think of at the moment. I bit down on his hand. Boris quickly pulled back his hand. Unfortunately, he didn't release me. Instead he slapped me in the face and marched out of the book store with me under his arm.

As hard as I tried, he wouldn't release his grip on me. I kicked and punched wildly only to have his grip on me tighten so that he wouldn't drop me. Yelling at the top of my lungs brought quite a bit of attention towards us. A few people looked concerned for me. Yes, they should be as I was about to face my doom.

Boris quickly made up a lie. He said that I had this rare condition, which caused me to be very hyperactive. What!! I screamed even harder, but to no avail. No one was looking in our direction anymore. I couldn't believe this. I was soon about to be in the one place I dread the most.

When we had reached their facility again, he threw me into this room and locked the door. I ran towards the door and tried to force it open. Several times, I attempted to knock the door down. I kicked, punched, and ram it, but it was no use. The door wasn't budging, and I didn't have anything to pick the lock with. In fact, there wasn't even a lock to pick to begin with.

I flopped onto the bed completely exhausted, when I noticed my beyblade on the dresser. Slowly, I moved over towards it and picked it up. They hadn't changed a thing on it. I curled up on my bed, hoping this nightmare would end.

Slowly, I drifted to sleep.



Wingzero: What a chappie!

Ray: You can say that again!

Tyson: At least it wasn't for mine!

Wingzero: I just haven't thought of it.

Tyson: *falls anime style* You haven't?

Wingzero: Yup. I just need some inspiration!

Tyson: *hides the inspiration*

Max: *finds it* Here it is!

Tyson: --UU I resent you.

Max: You know you don't. *gives him the puppy dog eyes*

Tyson: *nervously twitches*

Max: Gets him every time. ^^

Wingzero: *snickers* I'll try to update Tyson's story when I get some ideas.