Beyblade Fan Fiction ❯ A new Family: Ray's 'Innocent' Betrayal ❯ Power Play ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

My eyes fluttered open as the light rays hit my eyes. I glanced around the room, looking for Kai. He must have left earlier. Typical of him, I wondered if it had something to with his training. He didn't tell us much about his life, other than that he had a rough one. In his youth, he was trained to be a perfect beyblader, which meant having no emotions. When he came to us, he wasn't used to expressing them or sharing his feelings. Eventually, we became his friends and he let some of us in. Well, scratch that. Make that only me, because he and Tyson were constantly arguing over Tyson's habits. Max seemed to be on a forever sugar high so he thought he couldn't get the blonde to be serious or take his situation seriously. Kenny seemed too young and inexperienced, not in that kind of sense. His world was basically made up of beyblades and computers. He led a sheltered life basically.

At some points, I did thought about reading Kai's mind, but that would only serve to make him mistrust me. I wanted to gain his trust. Accomplishing that would be a miracle as he doesn't allow anyone to get too close to him. I wasn't about to ruin my only chance. However, no one said that I couldn't use my psychic powers to locate him. It would only be for locating not for reading his thoughts. Each person had a distinct mind aura if you call it that. I can easily sense my team mates and the White Tigers. I've been around them long enough to tell theirs apart from the rest of the population. Nevertheless, I can't locate them from far away. I do have my limits, you know. Hopefully, Kai hadn't left the city or country for that matter of fact.

I closed my eyes and focused on Kai. Moments passed before I located him. He wasn't too far away and judging by the direction, he must be practicing nearby. In the park, there were a few beyblade stadiums for the people to use. I figured he must have gone there to challenge someone or to practice on his own. It wouldn't surprise me if it was the latter. I sighed as I stood up and stretched. My ears twitched as I heard the sound of loud snoring along with some soft ones.

Quiet as a cat, I snuck over to Max's bedroom and peeked in. What I found surprised me. Max wasn't in his room. If he wasn't in room, then where would he be? I followed the two snoring sounds to find Max with Tyson. They were both in his bed. No, they weren't doing anything other than sleeping. Their clothes were still on them. I knew Max wouldn't want to be done that way, too early. They were young.

Rounding the corner, I peeked into the one bedroom. The sounds of keyboard clicks reached my kitty ears. I chuckled at the team genius. He must have been awake all night, trying to improve our beyblades and shooters. I sighed. He worked as much as we did, but he didn't receive as much recognition as we did. If the people knew that he spent several hours maintaining and repairing our equipment, then they would appreciate what he does. I knew I do.

"So what have you and Dizzi managed to accomplish?" I asked our team genius.

"We're still working on a way to increase Dragoon's speed," Kenny let out a long sigh. "Everything we've tried backfired on us, though we've managed to increase the speed on Driger with the failed plans."

"Look on the bright side, at least it wasn't a total lost," I said trying to cheer him up.

"I guess you're right," Kenny said with a small smile. "We were able to increase Driger's speed, so it wasn't a total lost, though I wish I could have increased Dragoon's speed as well." He turned back to his laptop.

"That's what I've been saying to him all along," Dizzi pouted from her laptop. "But no, he has to hear it from his team mates. What do I look like? Don't even answer."

"Well have you seen Kai?" I asked him.

"He said that he was going to practice," Chief replied. He started typing away on his laptop. "Oh and he told me to tell you that he cancelled practice today, stating that you need your rest." I gave him a confused look. "He had been noticing your decline in performance and asked me what was wrong with you. I told him that he's been working you too hard and that a day off would not only help you perform at your normal level it would help you exceed it."

"Wow, I would have never guessed that Kai asked you for advice," I whistled. Kai, never took advice from anyone; let alone ask for it.

"Yeah, I was surprised when he asked me," Kenny said, shaking his head. "I think we've been rubbing off on him. He knows that he's not alone anymore."

"I know," I agreed with him.

True, we were not alone. We had each other to count on, when the times become rough. We've been through so much that we have grown close together, some of us more than others. I've been noticing that Tyson and Max seemed to be sleeping in the same room. They would either sleep in Tyson's room or Max's room. If you were wondering, this place had four bedrooms. Each one of us took a room, during the Russian tournament. Since Kai had left the team, we didn't have to worry about someone doubling up. Then he came back to us and we had to find somewhere to put him. Tyson wasn't about to let the grouch as he called our team captain room with him. Kai didn't want to be kept up half the night by Tyson's snoring. Yeah, they finally agreed on something, which was not rooming together. Kenny needed a room to himself as he had several beyblade parts and charts to deal with. When he really got on a roll, his room tended to be a mess, like it was now. Max was scared of having Kai with him. He didn't mind if the others were there, but he didn't want to be in a room alone with him. So that left me. I honestly didn't mind it as long as he didn't snore and kept to his side of the room.

"No wonder why he hasn't woken us up." Kai usually woke everyone in the morning, even if we didn't want to. He would wake me up first to allow me to use the restroom. That and it doesn't take much to wake me up, unlike a certain team mate. He required extreme measures.

"Yeah," Kenny said. "Breakfast is on the table."

"Someone made breakfast?" I inquired with a curious look on my face.

"Who would have guessed Kai knew how to cook?" Kenny shook his head.

"There are many sides to Kai, we don't know about," I said thoughtfully. "Be glad that he's showing us some of those sides."

"I know the feeling," Kenny said.

"Shouldn't you be going to bed soon?" I inquired as he yawned a few times during our conversation. Taking a closer look, I saw bags start to form under his eyes.

"Yeah, I should," Kenny said. "But I was this close. I guess I need to rest before I tackle the problem."

"That would help," I said. "Besides Kai gave us the day off, so you can sleep in."

"True," Kenny said, packing away his notes.

"It's about time," Dizzi said sarcastically. "I thought I would never get my beauty sleep."

"Dizzi, that's enough," Kenny said. Obviously, he wasn't in the mood to deal with Dizzi's sarcastic remarks. Who wouldn't be? Normally, he tolerated them, but he hadn't much sleep within the last day. Chief closed his laptop, effectively shutting her up.

"I'll see you later," I spoke to Kenny as I left his room. He just waved back at me.

"Let's see, I have the entire day to myself, what to do?" I said out loud to myself. "The others are asleep or going to asleep. That doesn't leave me with many options. The White Tigers are somewhere. I could try to find them. The All Starz should be lurking nearby, but I don't want to end up as a test subject for them. How could she do that to us?" I sighed at that memory. "Then there are the Majestics. I believe they were staying at a nearby hotel. It should be one of the fancier ones, if I remember correctly. They had enough money to afford it. Of course, there was the Demolitions Boys, but who would want to hang out with them? They're colder than fish. Plus, they have the personality of a stone. They really need to learn how to socialize."

This was getting boring. Talking to myself wasn't very entertaining. I headed towards the kitchen as my stomach demanded attention. When I entered, I found a large stack of pancakes and some eggs along with toast. I should really eat some before Tyson comes along. No doubt he would eat the entire meal and maybe even the table. I took a few pancakes for myself and some eggs. This was really good.

After finishing breakfast, I decided to wander around, though I avoided the park. I knew Kai was there and I didn't want to face him, well not now anyways. I wasn't ready. Glancing around, I walked to one of the nearby stores. It can't hurt to take a look around. Maybe I'll find something I like. We haven't had much time to go shopping for souvenirs. I wanted something from Russia. From all the places we've visited, I've bought a small object or something.

Hm. I padded over towards the book section. I admitted it; I was an avid reader. I understood English, Japanese, and Chinese. Unfortunately, almost everything was in Russian so I didn't have a selection. I sighed, moving along the aisle to the magazine section. Just like the book section, it had almost all Russian magazines. They didn't have Japanese or Chinese, but they had a few English magazines. That reminded me of something. I wondered if Kai can read Russian. He grew up here or at least at the Abbey. I shuddered at that thought. If it had been me there, I wouldn't have lasted long. Plus, they most likely will have exploited my psychic abilities.

I went over to the knick knacks. They had some interesting thing here. I picked up a small decoration. It was of a white tiger. This would look nice in my room or as a souvenir. When I looked at the price tag, I couldn't believe it was that expensive, but then it was porcelain. Normally, those cost more than glass. I searched for an item that was within my budget, when I caught sight of red hair. My first thoughts went to Tala. Nah, it couldn't be. Boris kept a tight leash on his boys. He won't allow them to be wandering far from the Abbey.

While I was browsing through their selection, I picked up a few post cards. I wanted to mail these to my friends when we went our separate ways. In the hospital, I had to make the hardest decision of my life. I had to choose whether I will remain in China or move to Japan as I was part of their team. When I thought about it, I weighed the pros and cons. Then I finally came to a decision. I will stay with the Bladebreakers. Mariah thought that I didn't like our village, but I told her that I will return in the future, just not near future.

At last, I was able to find something that I liked and I could afford. I went over to the cashier, who smiled at me. We chatted a bit about the Russian tournament. He remembered me as the breaker who was injured. I didn't mind that. He asked me what it was like to be on a world champion beyblading team. I informed him that it wasn't any different than I usually felt, except now we held a title. It was just a title.

I turned the corner to head back, when I ran into the least likely person. Glancing up, I hope it wasn't who I thought it was. Seeing the long white scarf, I could only guess who it was. That person had a three letter name that started with K. It can't be hard to guess who I was referring to. Yup, the body belonged to none other than our cold hearted, mysterious team captain Kai.

"What are you doing here?" I managed to squeak out. Oh, good job Ray. Next time, why don't you try running away from him instead, then you wouldn't sound like an idiot.

"I could ask you the same question," Kai said keeping an eye on me.

"I was purchasing some post cards and a souvenir, not that it's any of your business," I said with an icy tone. "Why are you here?"

"I'm here to make sure you don't get into trouble," Kai said, irritated.

"You know me," I protested. "I know when to back off or to stay away...."

"You also tend to be very curious," Kai said interrupting me. "Have you ever heard the saying, 'Curiosity killed the cat.'"

"Yes, I have heard of that saying," I scowled at him, bearing my fangs. My eyes became slits as I glared at him.

"No need to throw a hissy fit about it," Kai said. He had an amused tone in his voice. "Where are you heading?"

"Back," I replied coldly.

"You shouldn't be out wandering by yourself," Kai scolded me. "It isn't safe, especially with Boris' men out."

"I can take care of myself," I growled at him. "I don't need a babysitter, taking me around. I'm not like Tyson or Max, who needs constant watching."

"I'm not saying that," Kai corrected me. "They have guns and they aren't afraid to use it. I've seen how they work. You wouldn't stand a chance against them. Trust me on this."

"Kai, there are some things you don't know about me," I scowled back at him. "So don't go acting like you know me, because you don't."

"Oh, is that so?"

"Yeah." I kept my glare fixated on him. "You don't know what I've been through. My former team doesn't even know half the things I've had to endure. You think my life has been a rose compared to yours. Well, think again."

"What are you babbling about?" Kai said, very irritated. I can sense his thought patterns and they weren't good, but mine wasn't either. Plus, I had psychic powers backing me up. He had brute strength, agility, and endurance.

"Why should I tell you?" I asked him.

"Because I am your team captain," Kai replied.

"You may have the title as team captain, but you sure don't act like one," I shot back at him. "In fact, you never acted like one."

Before I could blink, I found myself pinned to the wall. My hand had dropped the bag. I never saw Kai so angry before. A low growl came from his throat. "Don't you dare go there. I've been keeping an eye on the lot of you, ever since I became your team captain. As for my defect, you don't even have a clue why I did it in the first place. So don't tell me that you know me."

"I guess the feeling is mutual then," I said. I had to resist the temptation to push him off using my telekinesis. Instead I growled at him. "We don't know each other, so we shouldn't make assumptions until we get the facts."

Kai nodded his head in agreement. "Now that we have that taken care of, what were you talking about?"

"It's none of your business," I said, glaring at him.

"It is my business as your team captain," he said, his red eyes glowing with anger and persistence.

"You wouldn't understand it," I said, turning my head to look away. I didn't want him to intimidate me with those eyes of his. Also he could tell that I was hiding something deep and dark if he looked into my eyes. They said that your eyes were the windows to your soul. I seriously didn't want to share my soul, not right now.

"I've been through the worse," Kai said closing his eyes for a second and then opening them. "You already know about Black Dranzer. He was my first bit beast and the hardest to control."

"I know," I whispered.

"Then tell me what you are hiding," Kai repeated, growing more impatient by the minute.

"I can't tell you," I said.

"Why not?"

"Because....."

"Because what??"

"Because I'm not ready to."

"I see," Kai said, releasing me.

"I will tell you and the rest of the team, when I feel ready," I assured him. "Until then, you will have to wait."

"As long as you do," Kai said. "We should be heading back. The Demolition Boys had been wandering around the streets. I've had a run in with Tala, not too long ago."

My eyes widened at that. "I saw him going past the store, I was shopping at." I picked up my bag, knowing that he would want to be leaving soon.

"Now you know why I don't want you to be out alone," Kai said, turning away. Does he expect me to follow him? When I didn't go after him, he turned around and called back. "What are you waiting for? An invitation?"

I hurried up after him, with my purchases. What was up with him? Just when I thought he was opening up, I find there was more than meets the eye. You also could say that about me too, but I told them about my life, just not a certain portion of it. I kept my powers a secret for the longest time. Lee, my best friend, didn't even have a clue about my special abilities. I guessed the reason why I didn't tell anyone was because I was used to keeping it to myself. It wasn't that I didn't trust them. Keeping it to myself had become a habit and second nature to me.

Kai glanced around before heading down certain streets. Apparently, he had seen the Demolition Boys wandering around there. I wondered where they were and if the others were okay. We had left them back at the hotel asleep. They were vulnerable, considering it would take extreme measures to wake up Tyson. Kenny just fell asleep this morning and that would leave Max as the only defense.

Suddenly, both of us heard the sound of beyblades shooting towards us. I jumped out of the way just in time. Both Kai and I had good reflexes and hearing so we were able to dodge the attack with ease. I turned towards the shooters and found the entire Demolition Boys, standing there. They had their shooters in their hands, with their blades heading back towards them for a second shot. That was when I noticed another person. It was Boris. He had a scowl on his face, as his boys didn't hit their target the first time.

"Kai, we can do this the easy way or the hard way," Boris said with a commanding tone.

"There's no way, I'm going back to the Abbey," Kai spat back with so much venom. "You can't make me."

"We'll see about that," Boris sneered, eyeing me. "You wouldn't want anything to happen to your little friend, now would you?"

"Keep Ray out of this, bastard," Kai growled at him. "This has nothing to do with him."

"That is what you think," Boris said. He motioned his bladers to take aim and fire.

As soon as they fired, my reflexes kicked in and I set up a mental shield, preventing the blades from reaching us. They basically bounced harmlessly off of it. I turned to see Kai's completely shocked expression. From there, I glanced over to Boris who also had the same reaction. The Demolition Boys also reacted the same way. Okay, you get my drift. Everyone was caught off guard by my power.

Suddenly, Boris' eyes turned to me and he smiled. He ACTUALLY smiled. From what I can tell, this was not good. Even if I didn't read his mind, I could tell that he was planning on using me as a weapon for whatever he had planned.

"Let's go," I whispered to Kai, hoping that the others wouldn't hear me.

"Leaving so soon?" Boris interjected. He took a step forward from behind the Demolition Boys. "We haven't seen you two since the Russian tournament."

"Too soon for me, but we really have to go, right Kai?" I looked into my team mate's eyes, full of worry and nervousness.

"We have to be leaving," Kai stated flatly. He kept an eye on Boris. "We have an early flight to catch and we don't want to miss it."

"What a shame and here I thought you two could visit the Abbey for dinner tonight," Boris said, trying to persuade us two to come there.

"We have other dinner arrangements with the head of the BBA," Kai said. I knew he was telling the truth. The head of the BBA wanted to meet with us and have dinner, but since I was still in the hospital, he suggested that we should wait until I checked out.

"How about lunch then?" Boris said, keeping a close watch on me. It felt unnerving having someone watch me that closely.

"We're eating with the rest of the team," Kai replied, calm as ever. "You don't get it do you? We don't want to take another step into that filthy place you call home."

"Now Kai, that isn't nice to talk about the Abbey that way," Boris scolded my team captain. "If you can't drop in for lunch or dinner, then why not stop there for a short visit. I'm sure the rest of your team wouldn't mind."

Boy, Boris can be very persuasive and persistent. I shook my head to say no. "We won't be going anywhere near there."

"I'm afraid you have no choice," Boris stated as if it was a fact.

"We have a choice," I scowled back at him. "We have a choice whether we want to go or not and we choose not to go."

Several mental voices bombarded my mind, as several men with the initials BC surrounded us. I turned to Kai, who took a defensive position. Every single one of those men was armed with a tranquilizer gun. I had originally thought they were loaded with bullets, but seeing as they wanted us alive, they had to use tranquilizer darts.

"As you can see you're surrounded and outnumbered," Boris started to boast. "You have no where to run or hide. Face it and surrender. I'll make sure you two receive the best accommodations at the Abbey."

"Just because we're surrounded doesn't mean we're going to surrender," I spat at him.

Kai nodded his head in agreement. "I won't allow you to dictate my life anymore. I won't allow you to control the lives of my team mates either. So why don't you crawl back into the hole you came from?"

"I will be more than gladly to go back to that 'hole' with the two of you," Boris said, turning Kai's words against him. "Let's go. I don't have all the time in the world."

"Like we said, we aren't going," Kai growled at Boris.

"You're going to make this tough," Boris sighed exaggeratingly. He motioned for the men to shoot us. "I wouldn't suggest using your shield. We can wait all night and day. Eventually, you will wear yourself out."

As much as I hated to admit, he was right. I will eventually wear myself out, if I only go on the defense. I had to think of a way to escape, but I had someone else to think about. That was when it hit me. If I can't fly or run out, then I can certainly teleport us out. I had to concentrate on a location not too far away. I had enough practice to teleport all around the world, but right now, I can only do short distances, as I was really panicking.

"Shields aren't my only power," I sneered at him. "I have much more hidden surprises." When he heard that, his grin grew. I can tell that he was extremely pleased that I had much more than shielding capabilities. I instantly took Kai's had. My team captain gave me a confused expression. Narrowing my eyes, I concentrated on our hotel room and teleported there.

One second, we were in an alley. The next second, we were standing in our room of our apartment. Kai seemed disoriented at first, since this was his first time traveling that way. I giggled as he tried to make sense out of it all.

"Ray, what did you do?" Kai demanded an answer.

"I teleported us out of there," I replied with a smirk. "I knew that we couldn't handle such a large number of people alone or at least you couldn't."

"So that was what you didn't want to tell me," Kai said, growing serious by the second.

I nodded my head. "Yes, I didn't want to tell you that, because I was afraid of what you guys would think of me. Besides, it became a habit for me to keep it inside. Lee doesn't even know about it and he is my best friend in China."

"I understand," Kai said, taking a seat on the bed. "Besides shields and teleportation, what else can you do?"

"I have telepathy, mind reading abilities, flight, and an occasional premonition or vision," I replied to my cold team captain.

"Boris would love to have someone like you under his control," Kai said bluntly. He looked over in my direction. "He craves power and your abilities will help him attain it along with mine. With both of us under his control, who knows what he will end up doing? So we had better both stay out of his grasp."

"I intend on doing so," I agreed with Kai. "Besides, I don't want to become his tool or weapon. I have a mind and I plan on using it."

"That's good to hear," Kai said. "Are you going to tell the others?"

"I'll tell them when they wake up," I answered his question.

"Whenever you want," Kai said. "Remember, we have to keep a constant guard. They will be planning on striking tonight as we are leaving early in the morning for Japan. Don't let yourself get caught off guard. All they need is one second and you're theirs."

"I certainly don't want that," I said. I scanned the apartment for any of our team mates. Just great. Tyson and Max were gone, but Kenny was asleep in his room. "I have some good news and some bad news."

"What is the bad news?" Kai wanted to get the bad news over and done with.

"The bad news is that Tyson and Max have left the apartment," I replied.

"And the good news?"

"The good news is that Kenny is still here, sleeping," I said. "We don't have to be looking for all three of them, but knowing them, they'll usually end up hanging out together. Still, it is one less person to worry about."

Kai growled and stormed out of the room. I chased after him, with my tiger like speed. He muttered something under his breath that I couldn't make out.

"Kai, what's the rush?" I inquired.

"They could use Tyson and Max as hostages," Kai scowled as we exited our shared hotel.

"That is not good," I whispered.

"They will ask for the both of us in exchange for Tyson and Max," Kai informed me. He locked the door, making sure it was secure. He didn't want to take any chances with Kenny. I knew that the Chief would still be asleep, because he hardly slept last night. I thought about leaving him a note, but he usually stayed put and I think he would, since we were going to be catching an early flight tomorrow.

"How low can they go?" I growled at the thought.

"Very low," Kai said in an icy tone.

I hoped we find Tyson and Max before Boris does.