Beyblade Fan Fiction ❯ Forgotten Faces ❯ Confusion ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Rei's Neko_gurl: Hey there!
Jiana: Why are you so god damn happy?
Rei's Neko_gurl: Cause I just got back from Anime Club.
Kai: So?
Rei's Neko_gurl: It's fun there! *Pouts* Anywayz, this chapter begins with a dream that Raven had. Now that I've got that out of the way, I'll let you read on. Enjoy!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~*~*~*~

Confusion

The cold wind flew around him, bringing the biting particles of snow, which stung his face and stuck in his two-tonal hair, with it. He had lost his gloves further back along the trail and his hands were red raw, but he daren't go back. He was being timed, after all.
Through the deep snow he struggled, the fierce wind trying to force him back. Suddenly, his leg caught on a branch that was buried by snow. He fell through deeper snow than he had been walking through, tumbling downhill, and hit his head on a rock. His white world went black...

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The smell of burning wood brought him back. It was warm, but the forset couldn't have caught fire, could it? No, he decided, when the flames didn't come nearer, It had not.
He opened his eyes and frowned. He was lying in a meke-shift shelter, near the base of a large spruce tree. More branches had been piled up around the hollow where he lay, and snow had been packed around it. The 'bed' on which he was lying were thick boughs and had been supported off of the cold ground. He looked down at himself and his eyes widened. Over his blue jacket, a thick black one had been placed. He was also wearing a second scarf. A new hat and a pair of gloves graced his head and had warmed his hands nicely.
His gaze wandered over to the fire, which had been redently re-built. Snow was melting over it into a small cup and some sort of small animal was being roasted over a second, smaller fire beside it. It looked like it had once been a winter hare.
'Awake are you?' a voice behind him said.
There, sitting across from him on another bed, her silver eyes blazing in the firelight, was a young girl, not a year older than himself.
'What are you doing, Raven? You know you're not supposed to help others,' he said, worried about his friends safety when they got back.
'What are you doing, Kai? You're not supposed to attempt this course untill you're eight!' she shot back, angry at her friends stupidity.
Kai looked down at the ground and mumbled, 'He said I'd be able to do it. He said I was strong enough...'
Raven watched him and sighed. Of course. He'd wanted to prove himself, show everyone that he could work at a higher level, prove that he was better than everyone else. And that idiot told him he could. He had let Kai just walk into the wilderness in the middle of the Russian winter. It had almost killed him!
She felt small but very warm arms wrap themselves around her. Looking down, she saw that Kai had sat beside her, resting his head on her shoulder. It hurt, as she had a large cut there, but she didn't let the younger one know. He would only worry.
'Raven you should be wearing your own coat and gloves, not me. You might die,' he wispered in concern.
She smiled down at him.
'It's getting dark. Lie down and get some sleep,' she told him. Obediently, he lay down beside her. She stood and poured water over the smaller fire, piling more wood on the other so that it wouldn't go out during the night, and crawled back over to the now sleeping figure of Kai. She carefully wraped herself around the smaller body and closed her eyes.
'Don'y worry, Kai,' she wispered. 'I'll get you back to the Abbey as fast as I can tomorrow. I won't let you die out here.'

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

They woke early, so early that the pale pink light of the dawn sun had not even touched the tops of the trees. Raven had taken her coat and scarf back, but had left Kai the gloves and hat. Out of her coat pocket, she pulled a pair of dark glasses that seemed to mould themselves to her eyes and face. Kai watched her quietly as she looked around, her ears twitching for the slightest noise.
'Kai,' she wispered, 'When I tell you, I want you to go as quietly as possible in that direction, okay?'
Kai looked in the direction she was pointing. It led through a very dense part of the forest to their right.
'Why?' he asked quietly.
'Wolves,' Raven replied simply, still staring to the left. Through the dark lenses, Kai saw her eyes turn to slits. 'Go. Now.'
He started to walk as quietly as possible through the trees. He stopped suddenly, as behind them a wolf called out. Seconds later another answered it, closer than the first. Kai felt Raven push him in the back.
'Run!' she told him sternly, as she started to sprint ahead, dragging Kai by the hand. He glanced back, eyes widening when he caught sight of four large grey wolves running behind them. He sped up so that he was running alongside Raven. A large white male attacked from the side, jaws clamping around one of Raven's arms, claws tearing at her body. They landed heavily. Rolling on impact, Raven brought her feet up and kicked the wolf in the stomache, sending it flying off of her. Standing quickly, she ran back towards Kai, who was being singled out by the other wolves. They ran and ran, trying to get rid of the pack at their heels, but it was impossible. Raven turned sharply to the right, pulling Kai with her onto the frozen surface of the river. The wolves pulled to a stop at the edge of the ice expanding out infrount of them, howling at the loss of their meal. Raven and Kai picked up speed. The ice began to creak under their feet. Raven looked up and noticed large cracks appearing under the running form of Kai.
'KAI!' she screamed as again she watched him disapear below the ice......

/*

Raven sat bolt upright in her bed, eyes glittering with unshed tears. Looking around the dark room, she ran a shaky hand through the mess of black hair that framed her sweating face. She carefully slid out of bed and out of the room. Padding silently along the corridor and up a flight of stairs, she opened a pair of mahogany doors and peered inside. Thank Gods, she thought when she saw that Kai was still sleeping. He isn't hurt.
Kai's eyes snapped open as he felt his mattress desend slightly. Rolling over, he jumped when he was met by a silver gaze.
'Raven, what are you doing?' he asked. Then he saw her eyes. They were full of emotions that he hadn't seen there for years. Fear, relief, concern and....... love. Her eyes shone brightly as the moonlight reflected off of her tears. 'Hey,' he wispered, as he pulled her closer to him, tucking her head under his chin. 'It's okay, it's okay.' He kept repeating this untill she stopped crying and then just held her, listening to her steady breathing and letting the sound of his heartbeat sooth her more. It wasn't long before they had fallen asleep.

*#~#*Next Day*#~#*

The girl's were sat huddled around one end of the dining table, wispering and glansing at the boys and giggling. Kai glanced up form his book to look at Raven and sighed.
'Okay, what went on last night, Hiwatari?' Tala asked.
Kai looked at him, surprised. 'What do you mean?'
'I mean, why, when I was walking downstairs for breakfast this morning, did I see you and Raven coming out of your room?' Tala accused.
'Nothing happened.'
'Yeah, right.'
'Look, Tal, she just turned up in the middle of the night. She was scared, had a nightmare or something. That's all,' Kai told the red haired blader levely.
At that moment, Johnathan entered the dining room and swept over to Kai.
'Master Kai, the Doctor is here for his check-up on young Miss Raven.'
'Thank you, Johnathan. Please ask him to wait in the medical room.'
'Of course, Sir.'
They watched him leave.
'Medical room?' Tala said, raising his eyebrows.
'Well, since Tyson came here, there have been too many accidents to keep track of, and I thought that it would be easier to have a medical room here and I got Anistasia and Johnathan to take a course in First aid. That is to say, if someone sprained or twisted their ankle, they would be taken and treated there instead of having to wait for an ambulance,' Kai explained.
'So why have Raven checked by a doctor instead of Anistasia or Johnathan?'
'Because thay only have basic training,' Kai said as he stood up and walked up the table. Raven's eyes followed every move he made. 'You, Bex and Katsina are to come to the medical room to see the doctor okay?'
Raven stood quickly. 'What doctor?' she demanded.
'He came to see you on your first night here, but you were fast asleep. Now he's came for a check-up to see how your ankle and ribs are healing,' Kai told her.
'I'm not going.'
'Oh yes you are,' said Kai sternly, grabbing her wrist and pulling her towards the door. Bex, Katsina and Tala followed. They entered the medical room and the doctor stood, smiling at Raven as she continued to struggle with Kai.
'Ah, hello there young Miss...........Kon was it?' he asked.
Raven instantly stood still, glaring at the doctor as his green eyes swept over her.
'Just take a seat on the bed here and we'll begin.'
Kai pushed her towards the bed indicated as the doctor waited patiently. As soon as she was seated the doctor placed a hand on her shoulder.
'I can tell you're a little uncomfertable just now so I'm going to talk you through what I'm doing, okay?' Raven just glared. 'Okay,' he said again. He took her blood pressure and noted it with a frown. Then he listened to her heartbeat. Again he frowned and noted it carefully.
'Right could you please stand and walk to the door, then back. I just want to see how you're doing on that ankle.'
Slowly, Raven stood and walked around the room, stopping beside the doctor. He smiled at her.
'Well, you seem to have healed quickly,' he said. He brought his hand's up and ran them over Raven's ribs. She quickly pulled back, growling deeply. Kai glared at her, but turned instead to the doctor.
'Raven's very sensitive about other people touching her,' he explained. 'But her ribs have fully healed.'
'Are you sure?'
'Yes.'
'Very well. Now you wanted me to check two other girls today?'
Bex and Katsina stepped over to him. They didn't argue and it was over quickly for them.
'Well I think that's it,' he said as he packed things away. 'Thank you girls.' Raven and her team left the room quckly, Tala and Kai trailing after them. 'Mr. Hiwatari, may I speak with you for a moment?'
'Of course,'Kai said as he turned back to face the other man.
'Take a look at these,' the other said as he pointed to two pieces of imformation on a form.
'This is Raven's,' Kai said, frowning.
'Yes, but look, her blood pressure is quite high and I couldn't pinpiont her heart beat this time. I know it seems stupid, but I could hear two pulses, one faster, and one slower, deeper. She also heals alot faster than anyone else I've ever seen. There is something strange about that girl. Would you be able to keep an eye on her for me? I'd like to investigate this furhter.'
'Of course,' Kai said.
'Thank you.' With that the doctor left the room.
Kai stood for a while, thinking about what he had ust been told. Two heartbeats? But that's impossible for a human. I wonder if it has anything to do with what was going on at the Abbey... he thought. Slowly he left the medical room and entered the living room. It had started snowing again and large flakes drifted past the large bay windows. Someone had started a fire going in the fireplace. Tyson and Max were sitting curled up together in an armchair, Tyson laughing at something Max had said. Bex was annoying Tala on the sofa. Katsina was sitting with Bryan and Ray playing some board game or other. Kenny was typing away on Dizzi beside that fireplace. Even Hilary was there, looking through a text book and revising for a test. As he watched Anistasia entered the room with hot cocoa for everyone. He smiled. One big happy family. But one was missing. Turing he climbed up the stairs towards Raven's bedroom, but she wasn't there. He tryed the library and the study, but she wasn't there either. Frowning, he entered the training room. There she stood with her back to him, one of the samuri swords that usualy stood locked in the display case in her hands. She slowly raised her right hand, and some small objects that had been collected from outside were levitated into the air. With her left hand, she swung the sword, slicing each object in half as it fell.
'You're very good at that,' Kai told her from his place beside the door.
'I know.'
'Are you coming downstairs?'
She sighed. 'I don't belong in a place like this, Kai.' He frowned. 'I don't fit in at school. I'm behind in the work..............................and I'm this close to seriously hurting Hilary.' She help up her thumb and index finger about an inch apart. Kai stepped closer and wraped his arms around her, sensing her need for comfort. He sighed.
'You belong here more than anywhere. Out there,' he gestured towards the window, 'are people who just want to take advantage of everyone else, who wouldn't understand you and what you are capable of doing. In here, there are people who care about you and who understand you. In the short time you've been here, you've helped peope find happiness, it takes ages to gain the trust of my team, but you did it in just two days. Johnathan treats you with respect and kindness which is returned by you. And Anistasia treats you like the daughter she never had. I know that she wants to be the mother you never knew because of Boris.' Kai felt her tense at the mention of Boris and her parents death. 'It woul kill them if you left. It would tear them appart.'
'Would it kill you?'
Kai was shocked by the wispered question from the silver-eyed blader in his arms. 'I was prepared to die for you in the Abbey, and I still am.' He buried his face in her dark hair. 'Even when I left, every decision I made was dictated by something you had said at the Abbey, even if I couldn't remember that it was you who had said it. If you left, I would have to try and find you. If you died..........................I don't know what I would do. I need you there, Raven. I always have.' He kept his face firmly hidden, so she wouldn't see that it had gon red in embarassment. He felt her turn in his arms.
'Look at me Kai,' he heard.
He looked up at her.
'What is that feeling?'
'What feeling?'
'That makes you feel like you would die. What is it?' Raven asked confused.
As he opened his mouth to answer, he realised something. It was what he felt for Raven, what he always had felt. Every time she had helped at the Abbey, it had just got stronger. That feeling of....
'Love.'
'You love me?'
'Yes,' he murmered.
'And Anistasia and Johnathan and the others............they feel love for me too?'
'There are many different types of love, Raven.'
'I've never been loved before. But it is only one feeling. How can there be many different forms of it? It's very confusing.'
Kai stared at her. It had never occured to him that she didn't know what love was. She had been taken away from her parents before she could understand what it was. She had never been showed it at the Abbey.
'I know it is confusing, Raven, but trust me when I say that everyone in this house love's you in one way or another.'
'Except Hilary,' Raven said with a small smile.
'Except Hilary,' he agreed, as he steered her towrds the door and down to the livingroom. Just before they entered, Raven stopped and turned to Kai.
'I would die for you, too. I............I love you.'
With that she entered the room, leaving Kai standing.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~

Rei's Neko_gurl: Awww. That's soo cute!! XD
Jiana: Yeah it was.
Rei's Neko_gurl: Anyway *dabs eyes with handkerchief* Please review peoples!!!