Beyblade Fan Fiction ❯ Mask of Secrets ❯ Running ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 2:

The night was clear, a silver moon staring down at the world. A light breeze danced through the streets, through the trees and into a bedroom of a two story house. The window that looked out at the street was open and the curtains parted easily as the breeze whispered against them before gently caressing pale skin that shone silver in the moons light. Two golden brown eyes snapped open, sleep departing without a fight. The eyes blinked twice before the owner sat up. The night was warm and the breeze caused the boy to shiver as it touched his bare skin.

The boy lifted the covers and swung his legs of the bed. He walked quietly to the table in the corner where he had put his clothes. He dressed quickly and quietly into a pair of black jeans, a navy blue long sleeved turtleneck and a black jacket. He put on a pair of comfortable socks but did not put on his shoes. He ran a brush through his midnight blue hair and tied it securely at the base of his neck. He looked at the small black box on the table and quickly put it into his jacket pocket. Unknown to him it fell out and was kicked under the bed. The boy picked up a small brown bag and walked over to the window. He paused and looked around his room once. He walked back to his bed and reached out a hand under the bed, searching blindly. His fingers found the object he was searching for and pulled his arms back. He pulled out a sword, sheathed in a black scabbard that was decorated with a blue and silver dragon. He strapped it to his back and walked to the window once more. This time he did not look back as he jumped out of the window.

Tyson landed softly on the grass and thanked the wind that ceased now that its purpose was done. The night was silent now as Tyson ran through the streets making no sound himself. He jumped into the shadows as a car drove past, and only moved when the sight and sound of the car faded away to nothing. He was careful to avoid the streetlights and other lighted areas as well as the pitch black shadows that the light couldn't penetrate. His senses seemed heightened as he ran through the streets. His eyes penetrated the darkness, every sound seeming magnified tenfold. The lightest change in the air made his skin tingle and his hair stand up.

Tyson paused suddenly as a cold feeling suddenly swept over his small frame. He felt eyes on him but as he searched for the source of the stare he found nothing. He frowned as he noticed that the shadows seemed to have grown, reaching out to take him. He took a step back as the shadows came ever closer their hunger sending chills down the boys' spine. He needed to get away, or he would be caught and lost forever. Fear began to make his heart pound against his chest, adrenaline coursing its way through his body.

Tyson turned and began to run, not looking back. He ran full out now, not caring to seek for cover, yet even as he ran he felt the eyes trained on him. He was gasping for breath yet did not stop running. The houses became fewer as he ran until he finally found the forest looming before him. He slowed down and looked around him. The moon shone down, bright as ever, casting away the shadows. Tyson leaned against one of the tree trunks trying to get his breath back and his heart rate back to normal. When he had calmed down a bit he stood up again and walked hesitantly into the shadow of the trees. The complete silence that hit him made him pause for a moment before pushing on. His breathing sounded terribly loud in the silence that lay blanketing the forest.

He cursed softly as he stumbled over roots and rocks. He was bruised and tired. He had had little energy to start with and the run had used up most of it. His vision was starting to blur, his limbs getting heavier with each passing second. His head felt heavy as did his eyelids. He tripped once more and fell. He did not get up as sleep came down heavy on him. He slept deep and long, oblivious to the world as it changed. Oblivious to the yellow eyes that looked down on him from the trees above, only to disappear as the light of day changed the sky into a multitude of colours before settling on a soft bright blue. Even as the people of the city woke to get through another day did he sleep.

When he did awake it was well past 12:00. He did not have a watch with him; it was instinct that told him. He groaned as he sat up. The ground hadn't been very comfortable and he was covered in cuts and bruises. He got up slowly and pulled his bag to him. He took out a piece of bread and ate in silence. After he was finished he took a sip of water before walking away in search for shelter. A mountain lay before him, figuring that there might be a cave he headed in its direction.

The forest that had been so silent when Tyson had entered it now teemed with life. Birds fluttered about calling to each other. Insects crawled and flew around caring not for the two legged creature that walked past, unless it was to get out of its way. Tyson grunted as his hair caught on a branch, pulling at his scalp. He turned with annoyance but paused as he saw his hair. His hair was even lighter now, the blue nature of his hair pretty obvious now. His hair was also considerably longer. He untangled his hair and grumbling to himself, clutching his hair to his chest so that it would not get caught again, continued to walk.

He stopped and listened as the faint sound of running water reached his ears. He walked faster now, the sound becoming clearer till he found himself in a clearing of sorts. A small stream cut through the middle, coming from the mountain and disappearing into the trees. Tyson sat down with a sigh of relief and dipped his hands in the clear cold water. He washed his face and ate an apple that he took from his bag. After that done he let his hair go from the confines of the hair tie and ran his fingers through, surprised that there weren't many knots. His hair felt fine and soft to his hands. He then proceeded to braid his hair, though it did prove to be a challenge.* Satisfied that his hair won't be in the way anymore he stood up again and followed the river upstream till he came to the mountain.

He searched for a cave opening and found one at the base, close to the stream. He entered hesitantly, looking for any signs of an occupant. Finding none, he thanked his luck and settled in. He walked into the woods and found himself a long stick. He took it back to the cave and taking the pocket knife he brought along, began to sharpen one end. Having made a spear he walked to the stream and went about catching some fish by spearing them as they came past. There were many failed attempts but Tyson finally caught a fish.

That night, as he prepared to go to sleep, he thought back on his friends. They were probably searching frantically for him. Guilt began to stir at his heart, but he knew that it was better this way. He wished he could have left a note, but he knew it could cause problems later. He sighed and felt a tear cascade down his cheek. He brushed it away and curled up into a little ball. In truth he didn't want to be here, he wanted to be with his friends, maybe play a few pranks with Max, have some of Ray's wonderful cooking, fight with Kai and annoying Kenny. He felt a sad smile spread over his face as his eyes began to close. Soon after, he was snoring softly, watched by the slitted yellow eyes once more.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*Right, I have hair that goes past my butt and I can say from experience that braiding hair that long yourself is very difficult.