Beyblade Fan Fiction ❯ Perfectly Incompatible ❯ Chapter 4 ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Perfectly Incompatible

Summary: A few of the mothers from his hometown think it’s time for him to settle down, but Michael can’t stand the girl they chose for him; Mariasha! What happens when he gets into a fight with Mariasha and ends up lost in a snow storm? Who will come to his rescue?

Pairings: Michael/Kai

Disclaimer: I don’t own the Anime Beyblade or any character associated. I do own Mariasha “Maria” Evans. She is an original character and all likeness to people living or dead is purely coincidental. This character is not on based one anyone else’s character design, again if any likeness, it’s purely coincidental. There are also minor Ocs in this story as well, eg; Michael’s mother and great aunt.

Warnings: Kai is a girl in this story. The use and introduction of a female Original Character. Any fans of OCs and OC pairings should leave now. Anti-OC pairings and blatant bashing of my own character. I created her; I can do what I want with her. And I plan to.

AN: Don’t be afraid to comment and send me more of those unbelievable, annoying or downright deluded clichés. Keep ‘em coming! I don’t mind a few rants ^^

-

Chapter 4:

As she guided the two teens through the array of curtain material and products, Mrs Michelson found herself lingering silently in the background, watching as Michael and his friend, Kai, speak comfortably with each other. They were currently discussing what shade of blue would complement the cream coloured walls in the kitchen of Kai’s ranch.

Young Kai was describing in great detail the layout of the kitchen and dining room and Michael was listening intently, nodding his head at all the right places. But what was most intriguing was the way Michael would place his hand on the small of Kai’s back when he decided to show her something.

It was interesting to observe the two as they interacted; they must be really good friends.

It surprised her how someone so young could own and live in a ranch all by herself, but the way Kai walked around her shop, picking out things without even looking at the prices, tells her that Kai here had quite a bit of money for spending.

So, not only was she independent, capable of looking after herself and willing to get her hands dirty, she must also be highly intelligent and money wise. She didn’t posses this rich-snob aura that a lot of young rich kids did. She seemed to realize that life isn’t all about money and was actually using that money for a good course.

And let’s not forget the fact that she made Michael, usually weary about other girls in fear that he might upset Mariasha, comfortable enough to playfully banter with her in another’s presence. Mrs Michelson had never, ever seen Michael like this before in her life! It was actually quite pleasant to see him like he was; like a normal teen for once.

There seemed to be more to this young woman than meets the eye.

Placing a roll of curtain material into a bag, she could not stop the small feeling of guilt in her chest. Maybe it was wrong of her to make Michael see how wonderful Mariasha was. Maybe if they were truly meant to be, Michael would just have learn it on his own.

What if he didn’t like Mariasha like he claimed? He most certainly would not be seen picking out curtain material with Mariasha, he would barely help her pick up any groceries.

But Mariasha is such a good, pretty girl; your typical sweet and caring girl next door. She would be good for Michael...Right?

A frown made its way onto her lips when she heard Michael release a laugh at something Kai said and realized that she wasn’t even able to convince herself that Mariasha was a good match for him anymore. She didn’t make him laugh like that, she never did.

Suddenly, a shrill noise of a ring tone pierced through the comfortable atmosphere that had overtaken the home wear store. Michael rolled his eyes when he recognized the tone and wondered if he should answer it or not. After all the calls he missed this morning, he probably should answer it. It could be very important.

Or it could be Mariasha calling him everything under the sun again for being a heartless jerk.

“Sorry,” Michael said as he pulled out his phone from his pocket, a grimace appearing on his face when he recognized the number. With a sigh he flipped it open and turned to Kai, an apologetic look on his face. “It’s my phone. I’ll be back in a minute.”

“Ok,” Kai said with a slight nod of understanding and waved her hand to silently tell him not to apologize. “I’m nearly done here, anyway.”

“I’ll wait outside,” Michael murmured as he pressed the answer button and stepped outside, only to reef the phone away from his ear a moment later.

Kai watched with a sense of sympathy as Michael pressed the phone to his ear again and began walking back and forth, realizing that it might be Mariasha on the phone. Or maybe even his mother, scowling him for running out on Mariasha like he did this morning. Yeah, he told her how he just bolted out the door, not wanting to deal with his neighbour’s cheerfulness so early in the morning.

“You and Michael are good friends?” Mrs Michelson suddenly asked, her voice pulling Kai out of her thoughts.

Kai nodded her head a little and offered a small smile. “You could say that.”

“How did the two of you meet?”

“During a tournament,” Kai replied as she picked up a navy blue material and walked over to the counter, offering another smile when she noticed a look of confusion on the older woman’s face. “I’m a blader as well.”

“Oh, how interesting,” the town mother said as he eyes widen slightly in surprise and nodded her head. Well, that explained how the two of them got on so well. Mariasha wasn’t a blader, she wasn’t even a fan of the sport, so that was probably one of the reasons why she and Michael often clashed.

Still, that didn’t give Michael the right to be rude to her as she often claimed he was...even though she, herself, had never heard Michael say a bad thing about anyone. Only Mariasha.

“He’s a good boy, Michael,” Mrs Michelson says as she takes the bundle of material out of Kai’s arms and places it on the counter for her to remove the price tag. “Very helpful and willing to lend a hand for any reason. The women in town adore him.”

“He is a nice guy,” Kai says as her smile grew a little bit warmer. It was always nice to hear someone say nice things about one of her fellow bladers, as being a blader was more hard work than a lot of people gave them credit for.

Just like anything else in life, Beyblade took a lot of hours to practice, train, compete and study their opponents as well as their teammates’ moves. Anyone who was a blader had a high level of intelligence in some form or another.

Yes, that included Tyson and Daichi as well.

“He’s intelligent too,” she added as she dug around in her bad and pulled out her purse to pay for her products. “Top of his class, which is impressive, especially when the PPB teaches over five hundred kids how to blade a year.”

“Really?” Mrs Michelson said in disbelief. Mariasha never mentioned anything about Michael being in a high performer in school. She always said that he didn’t understand the pressures of studying as he was a blader, nothing more. He left school here at the age of 15 to join the PPB in America. She had no idea that Michael continued his schooling at all.

That was quite remarkable! Why didn’t he say anything?

Wait, maybe he did and Mariasha...No, Mariasha is a good girl. She wouldn’t put Michael down like that to make herself sound more important. It just wasn’t in her nature to do something like that.

“I didn’t know that,” Mrs Michelson said in earnest. “He never said anything.”

“He’s proud of what he has achieved,” Kai informed her, not at all surprised that she doesn’t know. From what Michael has told her about Mariasha, she doesn’t like it when others around her appear more successful or more educated. Mariasha probably went around telling everyone that Michael was just a brainless jock with a Beyblade and he was lucky to have someone like her to hold his hand through life most important things.

“He doesn’t like to brag,” Kai continued. “But he is very talented.”

“Oh, we have a genius on our hands. How lovely!” Mrs Michelson practically squealed in delight and clapped her hands in front of her. She could not wait to tell the girls this piece of information. No one in town had any idea that Michael was this talented. Sure, they knew he was intelligent and skilful, but to be the top blader in the PPB, now that was something!

Did Mariasha know of this?

Suddenly thinking of the young purple haired woman, Mrs Michelson was startled by the mild sense of disappointment. Surely, if they were as close as Mariasha claimed they were, she would have known this. And if she did, why didn’t she say anything? Shouldn’t she be utterly delighted how amazing Michael was?

Come to think of it, everything Mariasha said about Michael was degrading in some way. She hardly had a nice thing to say about him.

Maybe Michael deserved someone unlike Mariasha after all...

“Though, it would be nice for him to find a nice girl to settle down with,” she found herself saying without really meaning to.

“I’m sure he will find someone when he’s ready,” Kai said patiently as she handed over her credit card. “You can’t force these things to happen.”

“I know,” Mrs Michelson replied with a tired smile, punching up the price of the products and using the card to pay for them. “We’re not getting anywhere with Mariasha.”

Upon hearing that name, Kai found herself pressing her lips into a thin line, frustration bubbling in her chest. “Hm?”

“Oh,” Mrs Michelson said as she realized that Kai might not know of the famous Mariasha. “Mariasha is a nice local girl that we’re trying to set Michael up with, but he’s just not interested in settling down yet. I don’t know why, Mariasha’s such a nice, intelligent and beautiful young woman...”

Kai found herself tilting her head to the side in mild questioning. Funny, it seemed like Mrs Michelson was trying to convince herself of Mariasha’s greatness more so then to her.

-----------------------

Snapping his phone shut, Michael grumbled under his breath. Yep, just as he suspected, it was his mother, giving him a stern talking to about manners and how it was utterly rude of him for taking off like he did that morning. Of course, every second sentence had the words; poor Mariasha in them.

A sense of anger appeared in the pit of his stomach. He hated how his own mother seemed to always choose Mariasha over him, her own son!

Looking over his shoulder at the sound of the door opening, a smile made its way onto his lips when Kai stepped out into the morning air, in her arms a few bags and things. “Got everything?” he asked, taking a few of the bags from her arms.

“Yeah,” Kai said as she shifted her bag onto her shoulder and waved into the store. She then turned a pair of red eyes of mild amusement in his direction. “I even got the mandatory praising of Mariasha.”

Michael outwardly groaned, his eyes almost rolling to the back of his head.” Let me guess, she’s a nice, intelligent and beautiful young woman with so much ahead of her or something like that?”

“Just the nice, intelligent and beautiful part,” Kai said as a light chuckle passed her lips as the two of them then began walking, heading to Kai’s car that was still parked out the front of the cafe. Once again, they could feel eyes watching them, but neither of the two cared very much.

They were both famous bladers after all; they could handle a few town biddies gossiping about them. Well, if Kai’s presence in town helped to ward off the attempts to get poor ol’ Michael together with Mariasha, then that was fine by her. Michael truly was a nice guy, he deserved so much more.

“But I think they’re starting to realize that you’re not interested in Mariasha as Mrs. Michelson said that they were getting nowhere with the two of you,” Kai said as the two finally reached her car, a large four wheel drive, perfect for driving through snowy conditions.

“Oh God, please let it be true!” Michael said as he placed the bags he was carrying into the back of Kai’s back. He then shut the boot and turned to Kai. “What now?”

Kai shrugged lightly. “Probably go home and work on these curtains.”

“Can I come?” Michael asked, not wanting to go home just yet and also eager to see Kai’s living accommodation. “I’m eager to see this ranch of yours.”

“Sure, if you have nothing else to do,” Kai said as a soft smile appeared on her lips, half expecting Michael to ask. She wanted him to, but wasn’t comfortable in outright asking him herself as she didn’t particularly want to deal with a rejection if he had something else important to do.

“I don’t think Mariasha can find you out on the ranch, will she?” she added with a teasing tone.

Michael wearily glanced over his shoulder with shifty eyes. “You never know,” he murmured and to which Kai barely suppressed a chuckle. He then turns to her and pulled out his own car keys. “Lead the way, and I’ll follow you in my car, ok?”

“Sure.”

-------------------------------

Driving onto the dirt road leading up to a sprawling, single level mansion size estate, Michael was pleasantly surprised by how big the place was. It was a typical style ranch house, only bigger, large verandas running along the front of the house, two large oak doors at the entrance and large windows, perfect for letting in natural sunlight.

The land itself was also large and beautiful. Wild lavender flowers were growing in one of the fields, the other fields empty, but could easily accommodate a number of horses.

‘This place looks amazing,” Michael complimented as he stepped out of his car, walking over to Kai’s to give her a hand with her newly bought belongings.

“It’s something alright,” Kai said as another soft smile graced her lips, somewhat proud of the property she owned. “It’s also very big. I’m not sure what to do with all the room.”

Effortlessly picking up most of the bags, Michael followed Kai to the front doors and then inside, in awe once again at the roomy interior. There wasn’t that many pieces of furniture, so it looked quite empty, but with only one person living here, he doubted Kai had any use for a five piece lounge room set or large dining table.

“This is something that could easily turn into a bed and breakfast if you wanted,” he commented, placing the bags down upon a table as Kai instructed him to do so.

“That’s true,” Kai said as she threw her shoulder bag onto a vacant chair. “I may have to think about that.”

“How many bedrooms?”

“Six including an office that could be converted into a bedroom if necessary,” Kai said as she beckoned him to follow her and she began to give him a quick tour of the ranch. “The rooms are quite large as well.”

Stepping into an empty bedroom, Michael could not help but screw his nose up at the choice of colour on the walls. It was a murky greyish green colour, not very likable at all. “Ugh, don’t think much of the colour in this one.”

“No, neither do I,” Kai said as she also turned her nose up at the walls. “I was thinking of repainting it.”

“I think that’s a good idea,” Michael said as he perked up at the idea. It was a perfect excuse to find his way back here, to hide out as well as the help. He didn’t mind getting his hands dirty and redecorating an empty ranch like this sounded like fun. “What colour do you have in mind?”

Kai thought quietly to herself for a moment, her stunning ruby eyes studying her surroundings. “Probably lavender and then a dark purple feature wall.”

“Sounds great,” Michael said with a grin.

“I think I might repaint all the rooms,” Kai said and shrugged lightly when Michael raised an eyebrow in her direction. “You know, gives me something to do.”

“I can definitely help with that,” Michael said with a sense of enthusiasm.

“I need to buy some paint first,” Kai said as her small smile threatened to grow larger.

“How about tomorrow we meet in town again?” Michael suggested, a sense of satisfaction appearing in his chest when he realized that he will have something to do again tomorrow!

“That way you can buy the paint you want and I can show you where you can get it.”

Kai folded her arms loosely over her stomach and tilted her head to the side in question, yet also mildly amused at Michael’s enthusiasm. “No other plans for tomorrow?”

Michael shook his head. “None.”

“Alright then,” Kai said as she straightened her posture. She then started to remove her outer jacket and rolled up the sleeves of her dark blue woollen jumper. “Now, let’s get those curtains up.”

“Right.”