Beyblade Fan Fiction ❯ Perfectly Incompatible ❯ Chapter 5 ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Perfectly Incompatible

Summary: A few of the mothers from his hometown think it’s time for him to settle down, but Michael can’t stand the girl they chose for him; Mariasha! What happens when he gets into a fight with Mariasha and ends up lost in a snow storm? Who will come to his rescue?

Pairings: Michael/Kai

Disclaimer: I don’t own the Anime Beyblade or any character associated. I do own Mariasha “Maria” Evans. She is an original character and all likeness to people living or dead is purely coincidental. This character is not on based one anyone else’s character design, again if any likeness, it’s purely coincidental. There are also minor Ocs in this story as well, eg; Michael’s mother and great aunt.

Warnings: Kai is a girl in this story. The use and introduction of a female Original Character. Any fans of OCs and OC pairings should leave now. Anti-OC pairings and blatant bashing of my own character. I created her; I can do what I want with her. And I plan to.

Gripe for the Day: Has anyone else seen all those god-awful You-Sues that are currently plaguing this site? They belong on Quizilla, not here. Besides, You-Sues are against the rules and regulations of ffnet. I would point it out to them, but then I would probably get a pissy, bitchy little response from the Suethor saying how much of a bitch I am that really isn’t worth my time or effort. This fandom has gone to the shit house...

AN: Please feel free to comment, make a suggestion or rant about a particular OC cliché that annoys you. I’m all ears! Get it off your chest.

-

Chapter 5:

It’s been a somewhat eventful day and Michael felt that he had actually achieved something worthwhile. He was actually in a pretty good mood for once. He managed to spend the entire day at Orchid Ranch with Kai, helping her redecorate the inside of her ranch. The process of erecting the curtains in front of the windows wasn’t a hard job; it was drawn out because the two of them kept talking. And Kai could make an amazing cup of coffee!

While not overly talkative, Kai had a lot of interesting things to say and was quite intelligent, not only about Beyblade but about other things as well. She had no problem explaining things that didn’t make sense with a patience Michael can only deduced came from years of dealing with her teammates and how hard it was to keep their attention for more than ten minutes.

While there were some topics that were off-limits, she wouldn’t get overly emo or bitchy about it, shutting him off like it was something that could bring about the end of the world. She simply told him that she rather not talk about it in a calm, professional manner and then changed the subject, the mood never growing tense between them.

Michael had met some girls in his life that did the exact opposite of Kai. They would either start crying and spill out every single dark detail of their life on the spot, right there and then in front of someone they didn’t know. Or they would immediately become cold, rude and verbally lash out at him as he didn’t understand her pain and he was a jerk because of it.

And all he asked was how their day was!

Michael was steadily becoming more impressed with Kai; she’s was not your average teen, that was for sure. She wasn’t an overly powerful or feisty young woman, but she also wasn’t a sweet and angel-like being.

She was...real. Down to earth, yet passionate about what she believed in. She was assertive, not aggressive. She was patient, but no saint. While she was powerful in just about every sense, she possessed no ego of her greatness. She saw herself as just another human being, not talking about herself that much at all.

Kai couldn’t be any more different from Mariasha.

Michael enjoyed being in Kai’s company greatly; he could be himself around her, sharing a few jokes or teasing her lightly when he wanted. She treated him like a human being, not a piece of meat that needed to be auctioned off to the sassiest girl the town biddies could find.

It felt nice to spend the entire day away from the disapproving gazes of the biddies in town, the lectures of manners from his mother and the shrill, whiney voice of his pain in the neck, Mariasha. Even if it was only for a few hours. He can’t wait to head back there tomorrow and get his hands dirty helping Kai paint a couple of the rooms.

Yeah, he was in a very good mood and actually looked forward to waking up tomorrow.

However, his mood quickly dimmed when he walked up to the front door of his house, a feeling of dread settling in the pit of his stomach. It was late evening and he was sure that he probably missed dinner, not that he minded too much. He had a few things to eat while at Kai’s anyway.

Still, they will only add another topic to a lecture he’ll no doubt get. It felt ridiculous, but he was fearful of coming home to his own house because he knew the icy reception he’ll receive from his mother and Mariasha.

He can just picture it now. His mother would always stand at the door with her arms folded over her chest in disappointment while Mariasha stood just off behind her, pretending to be sniffing, while holding back a smirk. As soon as he would step through the door his mother would demand to know where he has been while Mariasha would ‘fuss’ over him, telling him that she’s just glad he’s home ok.

Things would be different as soon as Marly left the room, though. She would swap the sweet look for a sour look and immediately begin insulting him, calling him a cheating bastard or something to that degree.

All because of Mariasha, he dreaded coming home.

Easing open the front door, Michael popped his head in first, a look of defiance on his face. But that soon melted away into confusion when he could see no sight of his mother, or Mariasha.

Wow, maybe he’ll be lucky for once.

“Good evening, dear.”

Michael almost jumped out of his skin and spun around to see Nana sitting in her favourite chair near the fire place, a blanket around her legs as a book sat in her lap.

“Nana!” he said with utter relief. He was expecting his mother to jump out of the shadows, with a scowl on his lips for missing dinner and ditching Mariasha. “Thank God, it’s you!”

A mild look of amusement appeared on Nana’s wrinkly face and a twinkle appeared in her eyes. “Your mother is in the kitchen, cleaning up from dinner, which you missed. And Mariasha, I believe, has gone home to sulk.”

“Is ma getting ready to lecture me again?” Michael asked, somewhat relieved that his irritating neighbour wasn’t here anymore.

“I think she scowled you enough over the phone,” Nana said with a sympathetic look. “She was ready to tell you how rude it was to ditch a woman in waiting, but I told her that you had some important errands you needed to do in town today, on my behalf.”

Michael literally sighed with relief. “You’re the greatest.”

Nana chuckled and sent him a knowing look. “You seem like you’re in a good mood,” she commented as Michael walked into the lounge room and sat on a footstool that was beside her chair. “Managing to spend the entire day away from Mariasha seemed to have done you a world of good.”

Michael couldn’t stop a smile from appearing on his lips. “That and I met a friend in town. She’s staying at that empty ranch out of town, doing it up a little.”

A slight frown appeared on her face. “By herself?”

But Michael could only chuckle lightly, knowing that Kai would be slightly flattered, but also miffed at everyone’s concern. “Trust me; she’s more than capable of looking after herself.”

Nana paused for a moment, her eyes studying the young male in front of him. He appeared happy, something she had not seen for such a long time now. His friend of his must be quite a young woman. How interesting...

“What’s her name?”

“Kai Hiwatari.”

“Hiwatari?” Nana repeated as her eyebrows shot up toward her hairline. “The same young woman who exposed her gender she had been hiding for years on live TV to debunk a strange girl’s accusation of having his baby?”

A wide grin of amusement appeared on Michael’s lips and he nodded. “That’s her.”

Once again, Nana paused to think to herself before nodding her head sharply. “I like her already,” she said. She too had witness the event on TV as well and thought it was utterly amusing. That took an incredible amount of guts, and it proved that she was not a woman to be taken lightly.

Michael laughed. “I thought the two of you would get along well,” he said before he winced slightly. “The women in town are going to be talking up a storm, though.”

“I’m sure I’ll hear all about it when I play bingo with tonight,” Nana said as she lifted up her book to read it again. “Don’t worry, I’ll set them straight.”

A sudden thought occurred to Michael and he frowned, a sense of annoyance bubbling in his chest. What would those women do when they realize that Kai could be a seen as a threat to him and Mariasha? He can’t let them give her the cold shoulder, she most certainly did not deserve it, and she’s been through enough shit as it was.

“Don’t let them say a bad thing about Kai,” he requested suddenly. “She’s done nothing wrong.”

Nana lowered her book and gave him a reassuring smile, one that seemed to hold a sense of understanding to it. “Of course.”

-------------------------

Normally, his mother’s sighs of disappointment would have gotten on his nerves, his guilt soaring to incredible heights, but not tonight, he was in too much of a good mood to feel remotely sorry for what he did this morning.

Truthfully, it was the best thing he ever did. He got to spend the entire day with someone who actually made him feel good about himself, not once saying something that was a put down or an insult to his intelligence.

Stepping out of the bathroom after just having a shower, a towel hastily rubbing at his long hair to dry it, he smiled softly to himself. Nana was currently in town, at bingo, no doubt getting the brunt of all the gossip. He’ll have to ask her what they said about him and Kai when she gets back. His mother drove Nana in town and then drove back, currently in the kitchen, pottering around and cleaning up, waiting for Nana to call to be picked up.

The temper seemed to drop a degree or two and Michael was suddenly aware that there was someone standing out in the hallway, between him and the sanctuary of his bedroom. And that someone was sending psychic waves of utter annoyance in his direction.

How the hell did she get inside? He thought she went home to sulk and brood to herself.

Opening his eyes, Michael could not help but release a groan of sheer frustration when he was greeted by a glare from narrow green eyes. Mariasha was leaning against a wall, her arms folded under her bust, seemingly trying to amplify their attractiveness. She was still wearing her totally inappropriate clothing, though, fashion that would be better suited for summer...at a strip joint.

“I can’t believe you ditched me this morning like that,” Mariasha said through gritted teeth, her voice low so his mother who was still down stairs wouldn’t hear her. There was absolutely no sign of her sweetness and good-girl persona at the moment.

This was her true self. How fortunate for Michael to be the only one to witness it.

Michael merely removed the towel from his head and stuck his nose in the air in a sign of contempt. “I had something important that I need to attend to,” he said clearly annoyed with her presence. Gah, there goes his good mood. He can’t wait for tomorrow to come so he could spend the day with Kai again, doing something constructive with his life.

“Important?” Mariasha hissed lowly, her hand curling into tight fists as she dropped her arms by her sides. Michael here was so rude, egotistical and stuck up; everyone knows that and praised her for being the only one who could put up with him. “We’ve got important things to discuss, Michael Jacob Parker.”

“Yeah?” Michael said with a sarcastic click of his tongue. “What kind of important things?”

Mariasha was aghast that he would even ask that question. It was insanely obvious, of course. They were getting married, that is something that was fucking important. What could be more important than sitting down together and trying to get his life to fit solely around her?

As his future wife, he should do whatever was necessary to make her happy. It was common sense.

“What do you mean?” Mariasha quickly snapped, her voice rising a little in anger as she pushed away from the wall. It was taking all her willpower not to reach up and slap him across the face. Even though it was a very sassy thing to do and no doubt she would have the other women’s understanding why she lashed out at him like she did, but her arch nemeses Nana would immediately tell her to leave.

She needed to prove to the stupid, senile old woman that she was perfect girl for Michael. She didn’t know what the old bat had against her, but she was becoming very annoying.

“Isn’t it obvious?” she said slowly as if her next few words should be something he already knows. “Michael, everyone in town is expecting us to get married and have a family. We have to discuss you leaving your silly dream of being a blader and enter the real world.”

Michael immediately bristled at her words. His career of being a professional blader was not silly in anyway. She was merely jealous of his success while she was a nothing little country girl with no ambition in life other than scoring a successful man as a husband.

“There is nothing to discuss,” he snapped. “I’m not giving up Beyblade and I’m not going to discuss happy families with you because I’m not going to marry you.”

Once again Mariasha was floored by his response and physically took a step back in shock. “What? How dare you?” she said, suddenly growing very angry. “I can’t believe how selfish you are. Or how fucking stupid. You’re just like you father.”

Something inside of Michael snapped at that moment and without thinking, whipped out an arm and physically pushed her against the wall in the hall quite harshly. Mariasha hit the wall with a loud thud, a picture frame falling to the floor from the force as she stayed there in a stunned silence, her green eyes as wider than he had ever seen them.

“Don’t you dare talk about my father like that!” Michael snarled dangerously, his own hands forming into fists that shook with barely surprised anger. His father was a good and noble man, did anything for anyone; the pain of losing him at such a young age still hurt so much.

And then to have this...bitch use his name in an insulting way was just too much.

“You’re the self-centred bitch here, not me!” Michael said as he took a threatening step forward. At this point in time, he didn’t care if he was scaring her senseless or that she would go running to his mother, telling her he physically abused her. He didn’t care. No one was allowed to use his father’s name in vain.

“You think you’re so great just because you can manipulate a few of the mothers in town, making yourself out as being this sweet little country girl,” a deep growl left his throat. “But I know different. You’re an egotistical bitch and I’d rather kill myself then marry you.”

Mariasha could do nothing but gap at him like a fish out of water, her breathing harsh and jagged, and her chest heaving up and down in fright. “You...” she whispered before suddenly pushing away from the wall, shoulder charging Michael in the chest and took a couple of stumbling steps.

“You asshole!” she screamed as she stopped at the head of the stairs, her voice easily wafting through the house for his mother to hear. “After everything I’ve done for you, this is how you treat me? Fine, be that way, you insensitive jerk. Wait until the women in town hear about this!”

Michael spun around to face her, his face an expression of utter murderous rage. “Just you wait until Nana hears how you insulted my deceased father,” he hissed, knowing that Nana hated anyone who dared say a bad word against her favourite nephew. “Have you no respect for the dead?”

Mariasha lingered there for a moment, shocked by how angry he was with her before abruptly turning around and running down stairs, and surprisingly out the door before his mother had a chance to comfort her.

“Mariasha?!” Marly said as the front door slammed shut, her voice quickly taking on an angry, scowling tone as she turned around to look upstairs. “Michael, what did you do?!”

“Nothing the bitch didn’t deserve,” Michael spat and then stormed into his room, slamming the door shut behind him, ignoring his mother’s scowling voice through the door.

He threw himself down onto the bed and pushed his face into his pillow. He was so angry, he wanted to physically smash something. How dare she talk about his father like that, comparing him to someone who was egotistical and stupid? What kind of arrogant, self-centred person would speak so lowly of someone who could no longer defend themselves?

Sitting up, Michael punched his bed a few times to get rid of a little bit of his anger before throwing himself back down on his back to glare up at the ceiling. A sudden image of Kai’s gently smiling face popped into his head and he felt himself calm down a little.

He could not wait to see Kai tomorrow and tell her everything that happened. She’ll have all the right things to say, he was sure of it.

She was his saving grace at the moment.