Beyblade Fan Fiction ❯ The Chosen ❯ Chapter Eleven: The Beginning of the End ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
The Chosen

Chapter Eleven: The Beginning of the End

Author: Kameko-chan

Warnings: Yaoi. Swearing.

Pairings: Kai/Ray, Tala/OC, hints of Max/Tyson

Notes: I know, it's been far too long. I apologize, but I haven't been too inspired as of late. Now, this chapter is, as the title suggests, the beginning of the end. I could drag it out longer, sure, but I really need to end this fic. I just don't have the energy or, more importantly, the ideas or set-up to make a deeper plot. So there will be two chapters after this one, and then an epilogue. That's it. No more.
As always, thanks to the reviewers. I love you all, and if it weren't for you I'd have abandoned this fic a long, long time ago. Thank you for giving me the motivation to keep going.


//...// = thought-speak

[.....] = vision... stuff. You'll get it when you get there. Hopefully.

-----------------------------------


Ray massaged his temples as he tried to process everything the green-haired boy across the table was telling him. “Okay, let’s recap. That,” he pointed to a girl with short blue hair who was dragging an unconscious Kai into the house, “is your sister Katrina, aka Kat.”

Oliver nodded.

“And you guys are Earth and Air, correct?”

“Yes.”

“And those two,” Ray gestured at a girl and boy who were dragging in Elaina (they were a good deal weaker than Kat), “are Luma and Demos, the Light and Dark chosen, right?”

“Mm-hm.”

“And the reason he,” now Ray pointed to Kai, “exploded at Adri is because the magic in our bodies is becoming increasingly unstable and is interfering with our emotions, making us unable to control them, yes?”

“That’s right.”

“And that’s why I lost my temper and smacked their heads together, thus knocking them unconscious?”

“You got it.”

Ray let his head drop to the tabletop. “Why me? What did I ever do to deserve this?”

Oliver patted his back reassuringly. “At least you had a few years of ignorant bliss, my friend.”

***

Kai’s eyes fluttered open some hours later. The first thing he saw was Ray’s face hovering over his. The younger boy looked immensely relieved. “Thank goodness you’re awake, Kai,” he said, a weak smile creeping onto his face. “Are you feeling okay?”

The morning’s events came flooding back to him. Kai’s eyes went wide and he sat up in a rush. “Tala?? Where’s Tala?? He’s okay, isn’t he? He didn’t...”

“I’m here, Kai, I’m fine.” The redhead stepped out of the corner he’d been observing from. “I’m sorry to have frightened you, Kai.”

Kai’s eyes smoldered with rage. He flung off his heavy comforter, stalked over to Tala, and smacked him across the face with a loud slap. “Don’t ever, EVER, even THINK about doing that again, Tala.” He glared at the other boy. “You have people who care about you, idiot. What would my sister have done if you’d gone and killed yourself, hm? You’d have been lucky you were dead, because I would have killed you!”

Icy blue eyes lowered their gaze to the ground. “I’m truly sorry, Kai. I wasn’t thinking about her, or anyone. I was just thinking about me... about what I’d done...” His shoulders began to tremble as a tear slid down his cheek. “I’m so stupid...”

Kai took in his friend’s injured body. The cuts were still red and inflamed, each one surrounded by angry purple bruising. Dark circles lined his eyes; Kai wondered how long he’d slept. The rage leaked out of his body like a punctured balloon. He sighed and pushed Tala towards the door. “I don’t need your apologies, Tala. But there’s a girl out there who does. A girl who loves you very much.” Kai offered the stunned boy a small smile. “Go make things right.”

Tears welled up again, but this time they were tears of gratitude, rather than grief. He left without another word.

Kai turned his attention back to Ray, who was waiting patiently in a chair next to his bed. Kai realized with a start that Ray must have been sitting with him the whole time.

Ray barely had time to notice the weird look on Kai’s face when the older teen leapt over the bed to his side, lifted him off the chair and kissed him soundly, all in one fluid motion. He then wrapped his arms around him tightly.

“I love you,” Kai whispered disbelievingly. “I knew I loved you, but right now, I’ve realized exactly how much I love you. I love you so much that I don’t ever want to see you sad.” He buried his face in Ray’s neck. “Ever.”

//I won’t go over the edge like Tala, because I could never put you through that pain.//

Ray sobbed and buried his fingers in Kai’s hair as Kai gave him access to that part of his mind. Fuck, how did he not see it? How could he have missed Kai’s desperate battle for sanity? How he clung to the edge, slipped, fell, regained his grip, slowly climbing but it wasn’t enough, it was never enough.

“Kai... I’m so sorry...”

The two stood there for a long while, each clinging to the other, neither realizing that they were saving the other even as they thought they were killing them.

***

“Here’s the deal, guys.” Oliver’s normally happy, easy-going voice had taken on a serious edge, and his eyes no longer sparkled with amusement. He pulled out a tattered roll of parchment from his bag and spread it on the table so that everyone could see. "This parchment was sent to me several years ago. It is written in ancient Egyptian, and has been dated back to 2000 b.c...."

"Enough with the historical babble, Olli, tell them the important stuff."

Oliver glared at his sister. "Thank you for breaking the mood, Kat." He turned his attention back to the scroll. "As I was about to say, this scroll seems to be a record of what happened when the Chosen first appeared. I'd go into the poetic direct translation, but," again, he shot Kat a glare, "I've been asked to give you the condensed version.

"Basically, 4000 years ago some Egyptian priests discovered a horrifying secret. The Earth, the seemingly indestructable planet, was on her last legs, it's lifeforce was going out. If it didn't recieve a renewal of energy soon, it would simply die and take all of humanity with it.

"While the other priests began to panic, one of them hit upon an idea. Why didn't they make themselves the living incarnate of the different elements of the Earth? Then they could then use a ritual to increase their powers one hunredfold, and release those powers into the Earth.

"While this sounds insanely complicated, the priests had no other options. They spent one full year in a terrifying, painful ritual to convert their souls to pure energy. Then they spent the next 5 years constructing a small temple in which to do the final ritual of letting that energy into the Earth."

Oliver rolled up the parchment with a sigh. "That's where the text stops. The rest appears to have been burned off."

Kenny sighed. "So basically, you're telling me that all we know is that there's a temple SOMEWHERE in Egypt, and we need to get to it?"

"Pretty much."

"But we don't even know how to do this damned ritual!" Kai exclaimed.

"So you'd rather just sit here and let the Earth die?" Anger flashed in Oliver's eyes. "You don't understand, do you? I can FEEL it, the slow decay of everything around us. If we don't try to save it, the Earth will be destroyed."

"But we don't even know where this temple is!" Elaina added her voice to the arguement. "We'll die out in the desert trying to find it!"

"We have to try!!"

Soon everyone was screaming at eachother, both vocally and mentally. But one person heard nothing going on around him, saw nothing going on around him. Since Oliver had opened the scroll, he was lost in another time and place.

[Ten hooded figures stood in a circle. He was one of them. Standing at the door directly across from him were three strange beings who seemed to emit a pale glow. They were also hooded and cloaked. A young girl, who appeared unconcious, lay in the center.

In unison, the ten figures in the circle raised their hands, him included. A bright glow began to appear around the girl. He had the feeling of something deep within him being ripped away. And then they all collapsed to the floor. The last thing he saw was the girl looking around the room, obviously confused and scared, not seeing the three beings approach her, knives out and gleaming in the torchlight.]

He blinked as the vision faded from his mind. The din around him continued to grow.

"SILENCE!"

The room went dead quiet as everyone looked to see who had uttered the sudden outburst.

Ray stood slowly and looked around at the mildly shocked faces. "I know where we have to go," he said, his voice barely a whisper. "And I know what we need to do."

------------------TBC-------------------