Bleach Fan Fiction ❯ Court or Caught? ❯ Hazard ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Tite Kubo owns Bleach. I just borrowed the characters.
 
Up until the last chapter, this story has been very light. Not much depth, many insults, some silly situations and a modicum of angst. The next two chapters will be different. A game with a warning and the word `Hazard' in the title may have indicated a darker turn.
 
Hazard
 
“Orihime, you read the question aloud and then provide your interpretation of the cards. You can be the first to try the game.” Uryu smiled at her grimly. Tatsuki shot a glare at him and then looked at him with a worried expression on her face. She was shaking her head slightly as she looked at him.
 
Ichigo thought that was strange. It had seemed strange when Uryu began to take control and direct the game, almost as if he was not himself. He looked at Uryu. It was hard to see his eyes. It was as if there was a shadow over his face. His voice sounded strange also and Ichigo's unease grew at his observation.
 
He didn't understand why the date hadn't finished after the dictionary game. He had nearly suggested that it was time to leave, but as soon as this fortune telling game was mentioned he became interested. The interest hadn't gone, but he felt unhappy with the turn of events. Since the game had been suggested, the atmosphere in the room had changed to become faintly unpleasant and tense. He didn't like it, but didn't know what to do. For a moment he thought of suggesting that the game should be stopped, that they should go home, but Orihime was reading the question aloud.
 
“Will I be able to return home at the end of term? I think this is Rukia's question. Am I correct, Rukia?” Orihime looked at her friend and Rukia nodded slightly.
 
For some reason the tension in the room eased slightly at the correct guess. Ichigo released the breath he hadn't known he was holding.
 
“I'll turn the cards over one at a time and tell you the answer to your question.” Orihime picked up a card and examined it. “The first card is The Veiled Sage. I've never heard of that card before.” Ichigo looked at the card Orihime was holding. Only the eyes of the sage were visible and they were dark and mysterious. There seemed a depth of hidden knowledge contained within the dark eyes. The veil that swathed the face was black.
 
Orihime continued. “Let's see. The Veiled Sage means that you are hiding your real self behind a veil of lies. The question you ask is not candid. This card indicates a fear of the future, for a valid reason. Your future should be feared.”
 
Rukia went white as Orihime provided the meaning for the first card. Ichigo saw Renji look at her, a frown of concern on his face. Rukia did not look at Renji but stared at the cards in front of Orihime, as if seeking to deny the words.
 
Picking up the next card Orihime laughed. “This card is called The Drunken Pirate. The picture is funny.”
 
The picture was funny. The pirate lay sprawled over a table; a cup was overturned with liquid spilling from it and dripping onto his legs. His pockets were turned inside out, making it appear he had been robbed and he seemed to be missing his shoes and belt. A small dog sat dejectedly at his feet.
 
The Drunken Pirate means that in a moment of foolishness you will lose your fortune, whether money or power is not very clear. The card also indicates a time of trouble because of your loss. You can't avoid the loss or the trouble. ” As she spoke, Orihime's voice faltered. She seemed as if she was forcing the words out of her mouth.
 
Ichigo did not think it was possible for Rukia to look frightened, but she did. Her eyes were wide with disbelief as she listened to the reading. For a moment, Ichigo thought she was going to speak. Instead she bit her lip hard and rubbed her face. Renji moved a little closer to her and she glanced at him. They exchanged a look that reversed all the animosity they had displayed to each other until now. Renji took Rukia's hand in his, as if providing support as Orihime reached for the last card.
 
Orihime looked at the card for some moments before she said anything. Her face expressed confusion and denial. “This card is meant to provide the full answer. I'm sure there is something wrong. Maybe I should draw another card.”
 
“That is the card that was drawn. It was a valid choice. What is its meaning?” Uryu's voice was strange. Ichigo had trouble recognising it and as he looked at the Quincy, he noticed the shadow over his eyes, seemed darker. The expression on his face was cold and his manner austere.
 
“The card is called Grave Matters.”
 
Rukia gasped and clung onto Renji's hand as the title of the card was announced.
 
Looking at the card Ichigo saw an open grave pictured at night. The grave and headstone were the only clear illustration in the picture, with half formed images of ghosts and mouldering corpses swarming around the edges of the grave.
 
Grave Matters indicates that the answer to the question is a matter of power. If you exert enough power, the answer will be positive but there is great peril ahead which may lead to someone's death. You will have to rely on others and you will lose something only recently found, something important to you.” Orihime looked at Rukia, with a worried expression on her face. “It seems like this and the previous card, contradict each other. You will lose power, but need that power to prevent a tragedy. I don't like this game. I think we should stop playing.”
 
“There is a penalty if the game is not played through.” Uryu again sounded strange. “Provide your final summation.”
 
“I didn't notice that there was a penalty if you didn't finish the game mentioned in the rules. I didn't know you'd read them so thoroughly.” Orihime was denying the statement and it seemed she did not want to link the three cards together to provide a full reading.
 
“Look again,” was the cool reply. Ichigo again looked at Uryu and felt he was looking at a stranger, the face expressed no emotion and the obscured eyes chilled him.
 
Orihime grabbed the rules and went red. I didn't see that before, did you Tatsuki?” She passed her the rules and Tatsuki looked at the page Orihime was indicating.
 
She shook her head. “Never saw it before.”
 
“It's only a game. It's not meant to be taken seriously. Let's stop. I think I'd like an early night.” Ichigo was worried at the set expression Rukia was wearing. Renji now had his arm around her shoulders and was holding her close. His lips were near her ear and he seemed to be whispering to her.
 
“I wish I'd never bought the game. I think I'll throw it away.” Orihime was upset.
 
“Play the game. Your summary please.” The voice issued an order that Orihime followed.
 
“You will return home, but after you have lost something precious. Your return may lead to someone else's death, maybe your own. You will have no control. Other people may help you. The cards mention loss twice. It's not clear to me if you lose two things or one. I'm sorry Rukia. I'm sure it's not true.” Orihime sounded so upset by what she was saying.
 
Rukia did not appear to be listening. Renji was holding her very close; his hands appeared to be covering her ears as he gazed into her eyes. She was gazing back as if scared to look away. It was almost as though the reading had stripped away her confidence and Renji was the only person she wanted to see in her world. Ichigo felt a moment of longing for Orihime to look at him that way, but not at the cost of losing her confidence.
 
“Ichigo, your turn.” Orihime spoke now. Her voice was insistent and Ichigo glanced at Uryu. He was blinking worriedly and looking confused. Glancing at Orihime, Ichigo noticed her eyes were now in shadow and her face was as cold and distant as Uryu's had been. Such was the power of command in her voice that the game continued.
 
“The question I have is: `Will I become an Olympic gold medallist?' I think that's your question, Tatsuki. Am I right?” Ichigo looked at Tatsuki and wondered at the flash of fear he saw in her eyes.
 
“Yes. That's my question. What's the answer?” Tatsuki seemed a little nervous about the answer.
 
At the correct guess, the tension which had increased vastly through the first reading dispersed, a little.
 
Ichigo picked up the first card. The card had a picture of a very pretty boy, with large eyes wearing a school uniform. He looked at the name and laughed. “Your first card is The Transvestite Schoolgirl. It's basically a girl dressed as a boy in school uniform.” He looked around the circle of faces, smiling and noticed that the shadows had deepened around Orihime's eyes. What was with the shadows? Was he missing something?
 
“It says that you're feeling divided, not sure of who you are. You often mistrust what you see and what people say. You will use any means to get what you want.” Ichigo read the words on the card thinking that they seemed peculiar and did not apply to his friend. He looked at Tatsuki. She had a fixed smile on her face and Ichigo had never seen her wear an expression like that before. “Do you want me to continue?”
 
“You have no choice. You must continue.” Orihime seemed to be affected by whatever had affected Uryu earlier. The way she spoke was different to her normal speech. Hearing that voice, Ichigo felt the hairs on the back of his neck rise. This was unsettling him more every moment.
 
Tatsuki nodded. “Yeah, tell me the rest. It can't be all bad, can it?” Her tone did not sound as assured as the words. Her fixed smile drooped slightly and she examined her fingernails as if she was avoiding looking at anyone.
 
Ichigo picked up the next card and frowned at it. Where had hat and clogs got these ideas from? “The Injured Ninja.” The picture was of a person of indeterminate sex lying sprawled on the ground wearing the black clothes of a Ninja. The face was obscured by a black scarf and blood was leaking from a large hole in the side of the fallen warrior. The Ninja was alone, a broken knife lying just out of reach of the grasping hand. Ichigo shook his head after announcing the title of the card and looked around the circle noticing concern on the faces of the participants, except, of course, Orihime.
 
“It's not good, is it?” The smile had gone from Tatsuki's face.
 
“It may not be too bad.” Uryu tried to reassure the girl. Even to Ichigo's ears, the reassurance did not sound convincing.
 
Taking a deep breath, Ichigo began to read the meaning. “You will face defeat and injury in pursuit of your goal. Your skills are weakened by uncertainty and hesitation. Your friends will desert you in one way or another.” Ichigo hated uttering the words but felt he had no control over his tongue. He couldn't look at Tatsuki.
 
“It's only a method of passing the time, Tatsuki. As Rukia said earlier, cards cannot foretell the future.” Uryu's voice broke into Ichigo's thoughts. Looking across he saw that Tatsuki was clutching Uryu's hand as if he was preventing her from falling from a great height.
 
“Read the last card, Ichigo.” The cold tone again reminded Ichigo of Uryu earlier. He looked at Orihime who had moved away from him. Her posture was straight and her manner foreboding. The thought that this was not Orihime he was seeing, fluttered over the edges of his mind.
 
“The last card then.” With reluctance, Ichigo picked up the last card. His eyes saw the picture and read the words, but his mind rejected them. “I can't read this.” He tried to keep his voice firm.
 
“Read it.” The person, who was not really Orihime, commanded.
 
The picture showed a young male holding a pole, leaping over a high jump. From the picture it was uncertain as to whether the jumper was going to make it over the jump, or if he would cause it to fall. Ichigo found himself uttering the words. “The High Jumper. You will face many challenges and succeed, but will give up before you obtain your goal. This is because you are weak, where so many think you are strong. You will fail and all will know of your lack of ability and strength.”
 
Without meaning to, Ichigo glanced at Tatsuki and noticed her eyes shimmered in the light. She wasn't going to cry, was she, because Tatsuki didn't cry. She used to beat him up for crying; it must be a trick of the light.
 
Uryu moved close to Tatsuki and gingerly put an arm around her. To Ichigo's amazement, Tatsuki did not try to break his arm, or push him away. Instead she turned her head toward Uryu as if accepting his comfort and buried her face within his sheltering arm. Ichigo looked as Uryu's face changed from fear to joy and then to empathy. He patted Tatsuki gently on the back and placed his other arm around her, hugging her.
 
Ichigo's mouth dropped open. Uryu hugging Tatsuki? Tatsuki allowing him to hug her; appearing to want him to hug her? Where had Uryu got the courage? What in the name of creation was happening?
 
`Your summation, Ichigo? I'm sure you can sum it up in a few words.' There was a slight hint of grim amusement in the voice emerging from Orihime's mouth.
 
“You won't win the Olympics. You won't even make it onto the team.” Ichigo's lips moved unwillingly, as he provided the cruel summary.
 
Uryu glared at Ichigo and pulled Tatsuki even closer. She in turn put her arms around him. Ichigo felt guilty and jealous and very contrite at the same time. This game was not going well.
 
“It's your turn, Renji.” Rukia directed the next reading. Unwillingly, Ichigo looked at Rukia and as he expected, her eyes were now in shadow. Her posture had changed and her face was expressionless. Glancing at Orihime, he saw that she had buried her face in her hands. He thought she might be was crying. Moving close he placed an arm around her shoulders, trying to provide comfort. She leant against him, gently, as if she required his support.
 
“I'm going to do this fast and get it over with. The question I have is `Will I defeat my greatest enemy?' Is that yours, Ichigo?”
 
Ichigo shook his head. The tension in the room increased dramatically, and Rukia tittered.
 
“Oh, deary me. A penalty. But let us wait until the game is played through. There may be more than one penalty. Cumulative penalties attract interest. All this adds to the fun, doesn't it?” Rukia tittered again, the sound contained no amusement. While it was Rukia speaking, it did not sound like her voice. Ichigo felt like moving away from her.
 
“That is my question.” Uryu's face paled slightly as he realised he would receive his answer. His arms tightened around Tatsuki.
 
Renji picked up the first card and glanced at it. He shut his eyes, opened them and looked at the card again. Ichigo began to experience doubts that this was going to be good.
 
The Sky Demon. You have power which you misuse. Think carefully before you act out of desire to meet your selfish goals. You need someone to temper your desire.” Ichigo quickly glanced at the card. A monster that was trying to grasp something just out of reach was pictured on the card. The monster was covered with black scales but seemed vaguely human. Something about the artwork made the demon look miserable, regretful and hopeful at the same time.
 
Renji gabbled the words quickly. “I've got no idea what that means. I'll read the next one. The next card is The Living Ghost. You are only half of what you could be. You will always remain divided until one life changing event takes place. Until then you only live half a life.” The picture this time was of a young woman who looked as if she were vaguely transparent. A wistful smile was on one side of her face, while the other was contorted in horror.
 
For a moment Ichigo wondered who had drawn these cards. They had become progressively more eerie and disturbing. After this game was over, he would encourage Orihime to burn them, not that he was superstitious… If he was honest he would admit he was. These cards were bad luck. There could be no doubt that this date was becoming less enjoyable by the moment and nothing seemed to prevent the progress of the game.
 
Ichigo heard Uryu gasp at the answer. Tatsuki was now hugging Uryu as tightly as he was hugging her. His pale skin had paled even further and two red spots flushed his cheeks. His eyes were wide open but clouded as if by fear, or was it some other emotion?
 
“Last card.” Renji paused and swallowed. “I could use a drink, but something stronger than water. I don't suppose you have any, oh forget it. The card is called The Overthrown King. You are soundly defeated by your enemy. You will think you have won, but you will lose that which is most important to you. From your loss your enemy will win and your pride and sense of self will be destroyed.”
 
Renji put down the cards and rose to his feet. “I'm getting a drink of water,” he announced. Ichigo noticed that Renji couldn't look at anyone. He filled a glass with water and drank thirstily, his back to them all. He seemed to be staring out the window for some minutes before he returned to the circle.
 
Ichigo picked up the card and looked at it. The king was not only overthrown, he had been reduced to abject poverty. His crown was still perched, rather erratically, on his head, but his clothing was torn and ragged. He walked, dejectedly, without shoes and a peasant was spitting at him. The expression on the king's face only betokened regret and unending desolation. Ichigo quickly replaced the card.
 
“And your summary, Shinigami. What is your summary?” The voice was insistent.
 
“He won't win. He'll lose. Simple.” Renji pressed his lips shut as if refusing to say anything further. He dropped his face as if hiding.
 
Flicking his eyes to Rukia, Ichigo noticed the shadow had gone. Rukia looked sad, shaken and defeated. She moved close to Renji who looked at her narrowly. Realising it was Rukia; he pulled her close and rested his lips on her hair as Rukia put her arms around his neck, turning toward him.
 
Ichigo hoped Tatsuki wouldn't notice at how the thing in Rukia had addressed Renji and then he realised he didn't care. The game had to end and while he did not want to hear the answer to his question, he acknowledged that it was not possible to avoid.
 
He heard a slight murmuring and when he looked, he saw Tatsuki kiss Uryu on the cheek as if providing some comfort. Uryu gave her an uncertain smile, his eyes still showing his shock at either the reading or the kiss, Ichigo was not sure. Then he felt his arm release Orihime and he moved away from her, without knowing why he was acting that way.
 
“Rukia, you're next. Read the question and then the cards.” It was strange. He felt as if he was in his body with no control over its actions. He wondered if his eyes were also in shadow as he tried to fight, to regain control of his body, but had no luck. His lips stretched into a smile.
 
After he spoke he noticed Rukia, Orihime and Uryu shoot him quick looks, as if understanding that he no longer had control. Ichigo began to understand what was happening. Someone, Fate, Fortune, whoever was taking an interest in the game and was directing the flow. Once the game had been suggested, they were fated to play it through to the end. They had incurred one penalty already. How many more would there be?
 
With reluctance Rukia opened the paper on which the question was written. “It should be easier to guess who wrote this question, there are only three people to choose from,” she observed hopefully.
 
Ichigo found himself laughing. “Easy or hard. It matters not. Read the question; nominate the writer; consult the cards.” It sounded wrong and twisted. Again he tried for control but found that he was still allowed only to exist within his body.
 
Rukia looked at Ichigo, her face a mixture of fear, compassion and anger. “Get out of Ichigo, stop taking people over. It's wrong.”
 
“You're in no position to give orders, Rukia Kuchiki. The Wheel of Fortune is turning and you cannot prevent the changes. Read the question.” Ichigo tried to keep his mouth shut to prevent the words from being uttered, but was again frustrated by his lack of influence.
 
Rukia glared at the presence in Ichigo, but her gaze faltered and she looked at the paper. “The question is `Will I get the result I've been working toward?' Is this your question, Orihime? I know you're working toward getting into a good University.”
 
Orihime bit her lip and shook her head. “I'm sorry Rukia, that's not my question.” Ichigo wished he could comfort her as she looked so contrite. It wasn't her fault that it wasn't her question.
 
The pressure in the room increased even more and Ichigo found he was laughing. “Two penalties. Two penalties, two Shinigami. My interest is rising where it was flagging. Hazard all and lose.”
 
“Shut up, whoever you are. Get lost and leave us alone.” Renji was standing and had moved close to Ichigo. He looked prepared to strike him, but Ichigo could not react.
 
“You'll only hurt your friend. You cannot threaten me. Don't you understand who you are dealing with? Don't you want to hear the answer to your question? Your little love is sitting there waiting to tell you all. I'm sure the answer will prove illuminating. Now go and sit down before I add an extra penalty to this game.” Ichigo felt his lips stretch in an unpleasant smile.
 
“He's not my friend, I hardly know the kid.” Renji looked uncertainly at Ichigo. With a show of reluctance he returned to sit next to Rukia. “I asked that question. What's the answer?”
 
Rukia was shaking her head. “I'm sorry,” she said. “I wasn't sure who asked the question. It didn't seem the type of question you'd ask.”
 
“It's not important. Let's finish this game. I want to get out of here.” Renji was dismissive of Rukia's concern.
 
Rukia picked up the first card. “I hope…, no there's no point in hoping with this game.”
 
A cackle emerged from Ichigo's mouth. “You're learning. Abandon hope because it holds you back from accepting reality.” The cackle unnerved Ichigo more than the words. He hadn't known he could cackle. He just hoped whoever it was in charge of his body didn't decide to yodel. That would be even more embarrassing. Why was he thinking about yodelling? There were more important issues here than his humiliation. He tried to mentally communicate with whoever was controlling his body, but had no success.
 
Rukia looked at the first card and seemed to be reading the words to herself before she uttered them aloud. “The first card is The Wandering Swordsman.”
 
Ichigo suffered a sinking feeling as the title of the card was announced. It was not possible that this card was an improvement on any of the previous cards. Wandering swordsmen often died hideously, or turned evil, or were robbed. With weary anticipation he waited for Renji's unpleasant fate to be revealed by the cards.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------
 
Author's Note:
 
You are probably wondering why this story has taken this dark turn. There is a reason.
 
Creating the cards has been fun, but has required a fair bit of planning. You may recognise some of the subjects for the cards, or not. They're taken from a variety of sources and I've tried to make then as unlike conventional Tarot and Oracle cards as I can (though I'm not familiar with Oracle cards.) If you're going to ask are there any good cards in the deck, remember the situation, who created the cards (Urahara) and the whole threatening atmosphere. If you're hoping that The Happy Bunny, The Smiling Sailor or some other bland card will be included, see Rukia or Ichigo's comments about hope. In this game, even The Happy Bunny would have a sinister meaning.
 
Next Chapter: Who or what is controlling the game? (Hehehe, I'm not saying, yet.) How many more penalties will be incurred? (There are two penalties now and only two more people to choose. How unlucky can they be?) What will the penalties be? (Death by Chocolate?) What question did Ichigo ask? (See cheesy grin from previous note.) Will Uryu break Tatsuki's arm for kissing him? (Now that would be an interesting twist. Some of these puns are offending me!) Will any of these questions be answered in the next chapter? (Have any of the questions in these Author's Notes been answered in the next chapter? I've just looked back, and the answer is yes, a few. That's a shock!)
 
Please review.
 
MS