Bleach Fan Fiction ❯ Story of a Princess ❯ Prologue or Chapter 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Story of a Princess

By: Novalee Phoenix

Disclaimer: I don’t own Bleach.

This is an AU. My first attempt at a story of this nature. Please enjoy it. The italics are the story being told by the merchant and the regular font is in the present.

WARNING: The story is at first a bit fast paced b/c I want to get the background done. So if it seems a bit fast paced, that's why. The real story has yet to begin.

Please enjoy!

 

Prologue:

The children starred quietly in awe at the dingy carriage in front of them. It had seemed to arrive with the mist in the early morning hours while the villagers had slept in peace. Upon awakening, this strange wagon was awaiting them along with its occupant, ready to charm them and sell his magical voodoo. It was mid-day and the village square was in full swing with the butcher chopping meat, wives bargaining over prices, men arguing over the paper, and the sounds of wagon carts beating against the hard cobble stones. And it is at this very moment that our charming merchant decided to tell a tale to the little children of the village.

All sat in awe at the strange merchant with the striped hat and long green coat as he began to wave his magic.

“Listen carefully now my children, for while your parents are busy toiling away a days work, I will tell you all a magical tale of a woman, love, and destiny. A story so awe inspiring and beautiful that you will crave to hear more.” And with this opening line, the man opened his fan, sat down upon the step of the old gypsy wagon, and began his tale……

 

Once upon a time in a kingdom far away, there lived to be two street rats - sisters of course- that traversed the landscape non stop searching for a home. The eldest went by the name of Hisana. A beautiful but delicate creature, she cared for the one burden that was granted to her in life, a baby sister whom was not yet named before her very parents were slayed.

It was with this burden that Hisana trudged on night and day through rough forest that left her feet cut and blistered, through grassy plains that would send cool winds through her hair, and through deep snow that threatened to bury her mind, body, heart, and soul.

It came to be one day that this hopeless wonderer happened upon a small cottage outside of a village. Spring had just set in, the roads were deep with mud and filth from winter, and the young maiden had yet to find something to eat. It was here that a kind woman took her and her baby sister in.

Hisana and her little sister spent a few happy weeks together in that small cottage. But once the nights became warm and she became restless; the wonderer decided to once again to go in search of a home. Cheese, bread, and water was missing when the young woman and her husband awakened. The baby sister was all that remained of the wonderer.

Days, weeks, months, and years went by but the young woman never returned for her sister. By this time, the baby had grown to become a beautiful young girl and quite crafty and skillful. The young couple whom had taken her opted to adopt her as their own for the young wife was barren. They named the little girl Rukia but decided to leave the last name out for fear of confusion if her sister were to ever return.

It was on a day much like this one, the weather so cool and wind so sweet, that we find young Rukia out in the field just like she was every day chasing and playing with her friends. And a day like this that can turn into sudden tragedy.

“Oi Renji! You baboon! Give me back my sword!”

“Sword! This ain’t a sword Rukia. It’s a stupid stick.” Renji sneered at the young girl who was growling at her friend.

“You’re just saying that because it’s that stick that’s always kicking your arse around!” And with one hasty jump, both Rukia and Renji were rolling and toiling in the mud, all their friends cheering on either side of them.

“Give it back moron!”

“Ack! Make me short stuff!”

Round and round they went till both were covered in mud from head to toe. Both had gotten up to stand opposite each other, panting hard. Rukia wiped the bit of mud from her mouth and Renji from his eyes. They circled each other like hungry beast besetting upon a prey.

With one final leap, Rukia tackled Renji to the ground and punched him right in the nose. A yowl was heard as Rukia got up and held the stick/sword high above her head in victory as the other young boys cheered in awe and happiness.

Rukia then turned to her best friend on the ground, his hand covering his bleeding nose. “Renji, you okay?” She asked trying to hide her smirk.

“I can’t believe you hit me.” Rukia had to lean in a bit to catch his muffled sentenced. Renji’s eyes looked downcast as he sighed. He hated it when Rukia showed off and beat him in public view of their friends. Suddenly, a hand was in front of his face.

“Well, get on with it. We ain’t got all day. I promised Miyako and Kaien that I’d be back before the sun set to help finish up with the cooking and chores.” Renji sighed and taking her hand was hauled up to join the others.

Rukia looked at his nose then. Renji turned his head to hide the blush on his cheeks. “It ain’t that bad. You didn’t hit me hard. ‘Sides, you hit like a girl anyway.” He mocked and crossed his arms. Rukia playfully punched him on his arm. “That’s cause I am one. In fact, I am a lady.” She stood up more proudly.

“Just cause you turned ten this year doesn’t mean you are a lady. I’ve never known a lady to be rough and tumble. In fact, you act more like a boy than you do a girl.” Every one laughed then as Rukia stuck her tongue out at Renji. She could see the playfulness in his eyes shining brightly.

“Well then, I’ve got to get going. Sorry I can’t stick around to kick your arse more, but duty calls and a good lady is always there to reach out a helping hand.” And with a gracefulness bestowed upon her since birth, she bowed to her friends and made off in the direction towards the cottage.

It didn’t take her long to reach the cottage or to realize that something was terribly wrong. Her normally sweet and protective brother’s face was in such a state of raw anger and turmoil that it stopped her dead in her tracks afraid to move forward towards the group of men that now encircled the small front yard. She could hear Kaien shouting:

“Damn beast came out from no where! He took Miyako! I must go after him now!”

“You must remain calm.” Rukia knew this voice. It was the voice of the kindly village leader, Jushiro Ukitake. Kaien had always looked up to this man, and had taken his place numerous times when Ukitake had fallen ill.

Finally finding her voice, Rukia stepped up to the men. “What is going on?” Her voice carried over. Kaien’s outraged face fell to sympathy for a second before turning hard. “Miyako was taken by a beast while she was out finishing the chores. I was just coming from around the back when I saw it grab her and run. I don’t know what sort of creature it was. I’ve never seen anything like it.”

Every one was paying close attention to Kaien now, Rukia’s own heart speeding up at the horrible tale. “It seemed to be fast. Very fast. Not even the wolves could possibly compare its speed to it. It seemed to have strange limbs, almost tentacle like. I can’t even begin to tell you the manner of its face. We have to hurry. This creature means to do harm to my wife!”

Ukitake struck out his hand and clasped it to Kaien’s shoulder. “Every one,” he started looking straight into Kaien’s eyes, “gather together the men of the village and prepare a search party. Make sure that your families are home and locked away in their house. No one is to leave the village tonight except for the search party.”

“I wish to go ahead. I can’t wait for the search party.”

Ukitake nodded. “Do what you must.” His hand fell away to rest on his sword. Kaien got the silent approval. He turned to Rukia. “Barricade yourself in the house until I return. Do not disobey me now Rukia. This is dangerous.”

Finding her voice, she peered straight into his eyes. “I love Miyako as much as you do! I’m going to fight with you!”

“Rukia don’t be stupid. You have no strength nor skill to take on something like this. You will stay.” Kaien waited for Rukia’s defeated nod before turning away from her and running briskly into the woods behind the cottage.

“Don’t take too much to heart Rukia. He means well. You are still too young to be put in danger, and I’m sure that Kaien doesn’t want to lose you.” She could only nod at Ukitake as she stepped into the cottage closing the door on the retreating men.

The merchant stopped for a while to take in his audience. They were all glassed eyed imagining the story as it unfolded. He smiled. “Enjoying yourselves young ones?”

“Yes!” One little boy shouted.

“You must carry on please.” Another little girl begged.

“Of course I will, but only if you ask your parents to come by and buy a bit of my home made cure for coughs!” He smiled triumphantly to the children. Many of them frowned for the story was really getting interesting. “Well, if you want to hear the rest, then you’d all better be off. Go on now!” And with that, a flourish of youth swept through the town calling for their mama or papa’s to please buy the medicine so that the story could be heard once more.