Bleach Fan Fiction ❯ Story of a Princess ❯ Chapter 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Story of a Princess

By Novalee Phoenix

Disclaimer: I don’t own Bleach.

 

 

 

The merchant chuckled to himself inside of his wagon as he counted out the bills. He didn’t do so badly. He managed to sale a whole case, which composed of 12 bottles of cough syrup, to tired mothers and annoyed fathers. He was just about to sit down to finish his milk when a tap came from the door.

Curious, the merchant got up and opened the door. There he found five children, each looking up at him with dirt smeared faces.

“Will you tell the story today mister? It is past noon and you promised to tell us more if our parents came by to buy your stuff.” The merchant thought for a bit before sighing. Although he was good at manipulating people, he just couldn’t bring himself to not tell the tale once again. Besides, he figured if he told it longer today, he may just get more of a profit.

“Alright then,” he grabbed his cane and once again sat down on the steps of his wagon, “Where did we leave off?”

“I think we stopped when Rukia got to the cottage.” one little girl stated.

“No stupid.” a young boy jeered. It was apparent he was speaking to his younger sibling. “We stopped when Kaien ran into the woods to defeat the monster!”

“Ahhh yes, we sure did didn’t we. Well then……” and the merchant once again began weaving his magic.

Rukia was quite upset to be left behind from the search party. It was a feeling that she dreaded and could never be rid of. She hated the feeling and so to combat it, she promised herself that she would become strong and make a place for herself within the village. Taking a deep breath, she made her way over to Kaien and Miyako’s mattress and pulled from underneath a long box.

Now this box was off limits to every one in the house but Kaien for within it held a sword gifted to him by a traveling samurai long ago. It was a story Miyako often told her when she was younger and couldn’t sleep. Kaien and she had just met and were walking home together when they were suddenly attacked. At the time, she knew a little of sword fighting herself but was no use without her weaponry, and so alone Kaien tried to fend off the robbers. It was when they were almost done for that a samurai came from no where and fought the robbers beside Kaien. They managed to be friends with the samurai and offered him a place for the night and food. To show his appreciation, he had left one of his prized swords as a gift for he was in fact the son of a rich lord. Kaien had decided to keep the sword as a keep sake and thus hid it from prying eyes under the bed.

Without hesitation, Rukia lifted the sword from its box. It wasn’t as heavy as it looked although it did throw her off balance a bit. This was the first time she had ever held such a tool in her small hands. Determined, she strapped the sword to its sheath on her waist and made her way out of the cottage into the woods. She knew that Kaien would be upset with her, and she would pay that price later, but for right now rescuing Miyako was of top priority.

She ran through the woods as fast as she could utilizing what little knowledge she had been taught about tracking from Renji. Finally, she was able to get a grasp on the footsteps left by her brother. With more determination than ever, she surged forward.

It was in an opening in the woods that she found the most horrible sight she had ever witnessed. Sickened by the sight of dead bodies with nothing left but the skin swaying with the lowest branches of the trees, she turned her head away and began to run in the opposite direction. It was when she heard Kaien’s angry yelling that she stopped in her tracks. She dared not to go back, but instead chose to hide in the safety of the trees. And so she climbed till she saw before her a clear view of the beast and Kaien.

The beast had beady eyes bulging out of its egg shaped green head. It’s two tentacles slashed about unceremoniously around while it’s clawed feet dug into the ground. It’s forked tongue hissed at Kaien before finally speaking.

“So, you are the husband of that woman no?” The beast chuckled. “Just to let you know. She was the most delicious morsel I’ve ever eaten.” With a feral grin, the creature let out a load boastful laugh. Kaien gritted his teeth.

“So you are prepared to die warrior?” With that, the creature swung out its huge tentacles and struck Kaien on the side of his head. He flew a few feet before landing on his feet, panting. Blood seeped into his right eye, but he dared not remove his hands from his sword lest the monster strike at such a weak moment.

“Ahhh, a swordsman with true skill. How long has it been since I’ve had a good battle. Most men would have lost their conscience by now.” Kaien said nothing as he crouched into a fighting stance. With a bellow mixed with anger and courage, Kaien sprung forward. The tentacles slashed out from his left but he blocked it swiftly with his sword; the other tentacle coming down on his right from above. He dodged it easily.

Rukia watched as Kaien seemed to dance around the monster. It was apparent that the monster couldn’t match its speed to Kaien’s. With every blow, it seemed that Kaien would be victorious. Finally, a tentacle fell from the creature’s body.

“It ends here and now monster. You no longer shall kill people. I put an end to you here!” With a mighty yell, Kaien ran and leapt forward ready to give the creature the final blow.

Rukia watched in horror as the tentacle that lay on the ground twitched and moved about. Her voice disappeared and eyes widened as she watched the tentacle pierce Kaien’s chest. The beast let out a victorious roar and then to Rukia’s utter horror, began to consume Kaien.

It was disgusting. It made her sick. She clutched her stomach and mouth as the monster seemed to shrink and slowly invade her brother’s body through the mouth eating the insides. Soon, her loving brother’s eyes turned from the wonderful careless blue to a deep blood red. She wanted to cry.

It was then that a hand was placed gently on her shoulder. Rukia would have fallen out of the tree if not for the kind voice that immediately followed. “Why are you here Rukia?”

She couldn’t answer the white haired man. He looked at her with pity at first in his eyes, then to Kaien’s body, then back to Rukia. His gaze hardened on her. “We must finish this.” He stated pulling his sword from his sheath. The wind blew causing their hair to dance, and giving the creature the wonderful pleasure of smelling their scent.

“I see that I have some company.” He turned slowly towards Ukitake and Rukia. “How long have you been there hiding? It’s bad manners to ease drop you know.” And with a flurry, both Rukia and Ukitake gasped as Kaien’s body appeared before them ready to strike them down.

Both Ukitake and Rukia jumped from the falling tree. It was at this weakened moment that the creature decided to attack. He aimed for Rukia. She froze afraid and confused at the sight before her. Ukitake parried the blow before she could lose her head. “Rukia! Get your wits about you! This is not your brother! This is not Kaien! He is now dead!”

She snapped out of her reverie, determination taken over her face. Over and over again she replayed Kaien’s last fight. He had told her once that in battle it was always good to pay close attention to the enemy for weak spots would always reveal themselves. She wanted to weep, but right now, she had to avenge her lost family. She watched Ukitake fight the monster with vigor. Blow for blow they met. Finally, they stood several feet apart each panting lightly. Suddenly, Ukitake began coughing. Rukia’s eyes widened. This was not the time for him to have an attack!

The monster saw his opening and made to make the kill.

The merchant suddenly stopped. He looked around at the small crowd that had gathered at his feet.

“Why did you stop?”

“Because I’m not sure if I should go on. This story is quite long and complexed. I’m not sure I should be telling such a story to small children.”

“Awwww, come on. We’re all tough here. We can handle it. You’ve gotta continue. Pleasssseee.” the same boy from earlier begged.

The merchant secretly smiled to himself. Like bees to honey. “Okay then….”

Ukitake watched in horror as the creature lunged towards him. He couldn’t quite catch his breath through all the coughing and so couldn’t defend himself. It was then that he saw young Rukia running towards Kaien. With a mighty swing, the young girl managed to cut a deep wound on the arm of her former brother. The creature reared back Kaien’s head and howled with pain.

Rukia immediately turned to her fallen comrade. She grabbed his arm and slung it over her petite shoulders and began helping him to walk to the woods. It was the voice of her deceased brother that stopped her.

“How could you!? How could you Rukia!?”

Panic seemed to settle itself in her bones and a chill ran down her spine. It was his voice. He knew her name. She set a still coughing Ukitake down near the base of a tree and completely ignored his out stretched hand as she walked away.

She slowly made her way towards Kaien who was now kneeling down in the clearing. Her heart beat fast and loud in her ears as she approached him. It was almost Kaien. She stopped a few feet when the monster began to chuckle. “Oh how the little flies do get caught in the spider’s web.” And then he turned quickly and lunged for her.

Every thing seemed in slow motion for Rukia. Her basic survival instincts kicked in as she reached for the sword and held it up. The last thing she recalled before blanking out was the feel of steal ripping into flesh.

She awoke with blood splattered on her outfit and Kaien leaning heavily onto her sword. She could feel his arms slowly wrapping around her. Fear gripped her heart, but when she heard that familiar voice, she knew it was all over.

“Rukia….Rukia….what are you doing here?” Quietly, silently pleading for an answer. It was Kaien’s voice.

Tears slowly fell from her eyes as she softly replied. “I couldn’t let you go at it alone. I wanted to help save her too. I wanted to help save my family.”

She could feel him smile. “Rukia. You did well. I’m so proud of you. I’m glad that you are here. I’m glad I don’t have to die alone. Thank you.” And with his final words of farewell, Kaien’s body became limp. Rukia sat there in the field breathing hard. Silent tears melted down her face. Ukitake finally managed to get up from his position by the tree. He stood in the clearing and watched as the young girl let out a tearful scream, the scream of her brother’s name.

The story teller stopped upon hearing sniffling in the crowd. One little girl had big crocodile tears streaming down her face as she clung to her brother. “Now now little one. Stick with the story, it gets better and will have a much happier ending.” The merchant reassured the crowd of sorrowful children and then continued on.

The cottage now seemed cold and dark. Rukia looked around the now empty chairs and rooms. She had such fond memories here, was hoping to gain so much here. After Kaien and Miyako and many other victims were laid to rest, the villagers went to their own homes to mourn in silent grieve. She had stood alone at her families graves re-playing over and over in her mind the memories of the two people she loved the most before returning to her old home.

A knock at the door shook her out of her thoughts. When she opened the door, she was met with Ukitake. The man had been very gentle and kind to her after the incident. He came inside the cottage.

“Can I get you anything Mister Ukitake?” Rukia had to remember her manners. Miyako would have wanted that.

“Rukia, I’m fine, but as you know, I’m not here for pleasantries.” Rukia sighed. She knew what was coming, had seen it before from when other children were orphaned. “I hate to ask you to leave. This is your home.” he began. It was so hard to get this out. She was only ten years old and now left to fend for herself. No one else in the village could care for her. So he opted for a plan. “It is normal circumstances that when a child is suddenly orphaned that they are sent away to fend for themselves. I can’t allow this to happen to you. To do so would be to mock every thing Miyako and Kaien stood for. That and the fact that I’ve never sent any child away without giving them a choice.”

Rukia looked up at him hopeful. “The first choice is that you could go off on your own and create your own life. Doing so by yourself is hard work and comes with a price. It’s not an easy world for a young girl who is by herself.” He waited a moment for this to sink in. “The second option is that I can send you to live with a good friend of mine. He is a noble and of high class but he’s a good and decent fellow. His wife died last year. He is also one of the Captain’s to the Gottei Thirteen squads. I have told him about you.”

Rukia’s head was spinning at the revelation. Live with a captain of the Gottei Thirteen? Would he be willing to teach her swordsmanship? “Ukitake, what is this man’s name?”

“Kuchiki Byakuya.” Ukitake smiled at Rukia. Rukia knowing good fortune when it smiled down upon her decided to take up the offer to live with this Kuchiki Byakuya. She nodded her head in agreement. Ukitake smiled warmly at her and after patting her on the shoulder, left her to pack her belongings.

A few days later, the few belongings she had was packed away on top of a nice carriage as she found herself looking back at her home, her friends, Ukitake,… and Renji. She stared until all were little dots on the horizon. When she turned around to face the front, she let a tear fall down her face.

The children sat once again in awe at the story teller. “So what about Renji? You skipped over that whole part!” a brash young boy shouted. The merchant scoffed.

“I didn’t skip over that part. I just haven’t incorporated it into the story yet.” he stated as he stuck his pinky finger in his ear to scratch.

“Well then, get on with the story.” Another child stated.

“Nope! I believe it is time for you to go home to your parents now. We wouldn’t want that creature who ate Kaien to get you too now would we?” Some of the children looked horrified, two or three sniffled, and a few looked enraged.

“I promise to continue tomorrow. But only if you all come with some money. I have these incredible presents that you can give to your mom and it’s not all that expensive!” with a smile, the merchant pulled from his green coat a tray of chocolates wrapped in plastic clear bags.

He slapped the hand of a chubby boy who tried to take one. “No sir, not for you. Bring some money tomorrow if you want one for yourself or your mommy. If not, I may not continue the story.”

With determined looks, the kids scattered and went home. The sleazy merchant/story teller smiled and went into his carriage. Looks like another hard days work was done.