Bubblegum Crisis Fan Fiction ❯ Ultimate Bubblegum Crisis ❯ Ties That Bind - Part 2 ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Ultimate Bubblegum Crisis - Ties That Bind Part 2
 
 
MegaTokyo, 2032
 
 
A red Mercedes stood alone in a parking garage, the minimal light coming from a flickering overhead florescent cast shadows throughout. Inside the car a young woman sat, smoking a cigarette as someone spoke to her on a mobile vid phone. Sylia had the return image turned off, so the man on the other end could not see her face and the scramblers had the signal bouncing off of multiple satellites to keep those on the other end from running a successful trace.
 
“You aren't telling me everything are you?” Sylia asked.
 
“Well, err, I, umm.” The commander stammered.
 
“The last time it was a boomer that looked like a little girl.” Sylia pointed out.
 
“Our research said that would be a most effective form for moving unobstructed…” the commander started.
 
“To us Cynthia was just a lost little girl. In the future, do us all a favor and make it look like a dog or cat.” Sylia said interrupting the commander.
 
“So will you take the job?” the USSD commander asked her.
 
“Good, here are the details we have gathered. We really do appreciate this.” The commander commented.
 
From the data terminal in dashboard of the Mercedes a stack of papers printed. Sylia retrieved the documents and perused them quickly. She checked the parking garage for any other people, and satisfied she was still alone, started the car.
 
 
_________________________________________________________________ ______
 
 
Rain fell upon MegaTokyo, soaking everything exposed to the torrent of water falling from the sky. People still moved through the streets, and the pervading wetness gave the asphalt an unearthly glow from the neon flashing high above. Through the dripping masses Chris moved, just wanting to loose himself for a while and sort out the mess that is his life.
 
Onward he walked, paying little to no attention to the sights and sounds that played at the edges of his vision. Two faces fought for the forefront of his thoughts, Jubilee, a young woman he had known since he was a child and his first love, and a woman he had known for about a couple of days, Priss, the brunette beauty who jumped around in a blue suit of powered armor beating the shit out of boomers.
 
Chris understood the pain that Jubilee felt, or at least tried to, but he knew that he had made the right decision by breaking things off with her. Over the past few months, he realized that he didn't hold the same passion for her that he had at the start of their relationship. He still considered her his best friend, but he also knew it would take time for her to heal from the wound he had dealt her heart, so he tried to tread lightly around her.
 
Then there is Priss. Hell, he didn't even know her last name, but she was able to stop him with a look. For some untold reason they connected in a way that was both exciting and disturbing at the same time. Chris wanted to be with her and he could tell, or at least he believed he could tell, she wanted the same thing.
 
Each of these issues would be enough for a person to deal with on its own, but together they became a problem that gave him a splitting headache. He wanted to be with Priss, or at least try to be, but he didn't want to hurt Jubilee any more than he already had. In the back of his mind, a part of him argued he deserved happiness too, so he should ask Priss out, but then he thought about the possibility that he could be acting this way because he was on the `rebound'.
 
Chris was broken from his deep thoughts by his stomach growling rather loudly as he walked by a hole in the wall diner. < I guess I better get something to eat. > Chris thought in response to his stomach's protests, and opened the glass door to the restaurant. Wiping away the water running down his face, Chris sat down at an unoccupied table and waited for a waitress to come over and take his order.
 
“What d'ya want, mista?” a middle-aged woman wearing a waitress uniform asked in heavily southern accented English.
 
“Give me a burger and a coke, please.” Chris replied.
 
“Be right out, sugah. You from the States?” she asked.
 
“Yeah. Here on business.” Chris replied, not really paying attention to the waitress as he stared down at a paper napkin he was idly tearing into small pieces.
 
“Ah could tell. You speak English way too good not ta be a gaijin. You ok? You look sad or somethin'.” The waitress continued.
 
“Just had a rough day. And I'm kind of hungry, Marie.” Chris hinted as he read her nametag.
 
“Oh. Oh! Ah'm sorry! Ah'll get that order right in!” Marie said as she rushed off to the kitchen.
 
Chris grinned to himself as she ran to the kitchen to get his order in. The small flash of happiness passed quickly for Chris though as the weight of his situation fell again upon his shoulders. As he sat there, trying to decide what to do next, he noticed a crowd forming across the street in front of a warehouse that appears to have been converted into a nightclub. The waitress came back with his food as he watched the crowd grow despite the rain.
 
“What's happening over there?” Chris asked as Marie returned with his hamburger and Coke.
 
“That's the night club Hot Legs. Priss and the Replicants are havin' a concert tonight in about an hour, so the crowds gonna get pretty heavy over there.” Marie said.
 
“Priss and the Replicants, huh? They any good?” Chris asked. < It couldn't be her, could it? > Chris silently questioned.
 
“Yeah, they're pretty good if you like retro-thrash. Hope you get to feelin' betta sugah.” Marie said as she walked towards another of her tables.
 
“Thanks, Marie.” Chris replied to the retreating waitress.
 
He wolfed down the burger and coke, then, leaving Marie a sizable tip, Chris headed back out into the rain. The line to get into the club was now wrapped around the block and looked to be growing by the second. As he studied the line he caught a glimpse of a concert poster that was nailed to the wall outside of Hot Legs. Upon it was Priss, wearing what looked to be a blonde wig and a tight fitting leather outfit, her hand raised above her head as she poured her soul into a song. < It fits. She sings and I'm drawn to her like she's a siren from mythology. > Chris thought, bemused. < I don't think I'll be getting into this concert though. >
 
Chris had decided to give up on getting in to see Priss, when he noticed a familiar red head and brunette walk by where he was standing.
 
“Nene? Linna? Is that you?” Chris said to the two young women as they crossed the street to the side he was on. Looks of surprise crossed both of their faces as he spoke to them, finally followed by recognition.
 
“Chris? Why it is Chris. I guess I shouldn't be surprised you're here for Priss' concert.” Linna said.
 
“Oh, how sweet!” Nene gushed.
 
“So Chris, when did Priss invite you?” Linna teased.
 
“Actually, Priss doesn't even know I'm here. I was literally in the neighborhood and found out about the concert about fifteen minutes ago. For that matter I didn't know Priss was a singer. I thought you guys were like us, you did the `extracurricular' activities as a profession.” Chris stated.
 
“No, we all have lives away from the group, Chris. Priss is a singer, Nene is an ADP officer, and I'm an aerobics instructor.” Linna responded. “It must be tough not having something away from the team.”
 
“It can be, trust me, it can be.” Chris said, a smile playing at his lips. “I guess I better let you ladies get into the concert and out of this rain.”
 
“Why don't you come with us, Chris? I'm sure we can get you in.” Nene suggested.
 
“Yeah, c'mon Chris. Priss always leaves reservations for three just in case Sylia decides to show.” Linna put in.
 
“How can I refuse when you make me feel so welcome, ladies? So, tonight the drinks are on me, ok?” Chris said, trying to forget the troubles that had set him to walking the streets in the first place.
 
“Great!” Nene agreed.
 
“Keep this up and I'll think you have your eyes on one of us and not Priss.” Linna said, while Nene just giggled. She noticed the flush that had reached Chris' cheeks and added, “You are sooo cute when you blush.”
 
“I give up. Just lead on ladies!” Chris said his hands held up to signal that he surrendered.
 
The two Knight Sabers led Chris to the front of the line, and after Linna spoke with the rather large doorman, they were allowed into the club ahead of the crowd. Inside of Hot Legs there were a few patrons at the bar, but for the most part the only people inside were stagehands and servers milling about as they prepared to open. After dropping their rain coats and Chris' soaked leather jacket off with the coat check, Linna and Nene each took one of Chris' arms and led him towards the stage, where roadies were putting the finishing touches on the lighting setup for the night.
 
“Wait right here for a minute, Chris, I'm going to see if I can grab you a towel from the back. I'll be right back.” And with that Linna and Nene took off to the backstage area. Chris decided to take a seat while he waited for the ladies to get back. Their enthusiasm was infecting him and he didn't feel quite as bad as he had earlier, his spirits definitely on the rise.
 
A shiver ran down his spine as a droplet of water ran down his back inside his soaked shirt. Chris rubbed his arms to warm up a bit as a towel went around his shoulders. He looked back over his shoulders to see Linna standing there.
 
“You're going to catch cold if you don't dry off.” Linna said.
 
“I'll be ok in a minute. Just show me where the restroom is if you would.” Chris replied. Linna gave him directions to the restroom as Nene and her took seats at the table he had sat down at. Ten minutes later, Chris returned, his clothes and hair dry, and a smile on his face.
 
“You were soaked, Chris. How did you get dry so quickly?” Nene asked.
 
“Nene, I'm a mutant who can make things catch fire.” Chris whispered as he leaned closer to the redheaded girl.
 
“Oh, I… OH! I'm sorry!” she cried out as comprehension dawned on her. A slow flush of embarrassment rose on her cheeks as some of the club workers turned to look at Nene to make sure nothing was wrong.
 
Chris grinned at the mortified young woman and said, “It's ok, Nene. Now, what would you ladies like to drink?” He flagged down a passing waitress and ordered a round as the crowd was beginning to be let through the doors.
 
“So when does the concert start?” Chris asked the ladies at the table with him, as they tasted their drinks.
 
“Priss goes on in about another hour. She usually comes out and says hi before she starts if she knows we're going to be here, and I sent word to the back that I had a surprise for her.” Linna said as she sipped her drink. Chris knew she meant him to be her surprise and tried to act like he didn't notice. He also tried to act like he didn't notice Nene giggling behind her hand and saying something along the lines of “That's cute.”
 
“Ah, here's the lady of the hour.” Linna said as she spotted her friend making her way towards their table.
 
Chris stood and turned around, his eyes instantly drawn to the beautiful brunette walking towards him. She was dressed in her stage outfit, sans the wig and heavy makeup. A smile lit her face as she recognized who was with her two friends. < God, she's beautiful. > Chris thought as he returned her smile.
 
“Hi.” Priss said as she stopped just in front of him. < God, he's beautiful. > Priss thought as she stared into Chris' green eyes.
 
“Hi, yourself.” Chris said in reply, returning her gaze.
 
“Linna said she had a surprise, a half-drowned stray she found in the street. You may be a stray, but you don't look half drowned.” Priss remarked, her smile broadening.
 
“I didn't want to catch pneumonia, so I dried off.” Chris said, returning her smile.
 
“Should we leave them alone, Linna?” Nene whispered loudly to her friend seated beside her.
 
“Shut up, Nene!” Linna admonished her friend.
 
“Yeah, shut up Nene.” Priss threw in as she tore her gaze from Chris. “Thanks for coming guys. It helps to have a friendly face in the crowd.”
 
“Of course we'd be here, Priss. And we have this big, strong X Man to buy us drinks all night.” Linna replied taking Chris' arm.
 
“You're paying for their drinks?” Priss asked incredulously. When he nodded yes, she put in, “I hope being a hero pays a lot, `cause you're going to need it.”
 
“Hey!” Linna and Nene said at the same time, causing all of them to laugh.
 
“I need to get to the back and finish getting ready.” Priss said to all of them. “Will you be here after the show?” she asked Chris directly.
 
“Count on it. And I'll be in the front row during the concert.” He replied.
 
“Really?” Priss said looking at the hard-core fans of the band that were already jostling for positions near the front of the stage.
 
“I guarantee it.” Chris said with a smile.
 
“I'll hold you to both promises, hero boy.” Priss said coyly over her shoulder as she headed towards her dressing room.
 
Chris watched her leave and turned back to the ladies still at the table with him. They sat around, with Chris telling Linna and Nene about his home in Westchester. The crowd seemed to be getting restless as the time for the show to begin. Chris noticed this and said to his companions, “So, do you two want to get up front with me?”
 
“I think I'll stay back here, Chris, I can hear the music and I won't get crushed.” Linna replied.
 
“Me too. Have fun though, Chris.” Nene teased.
 
“I plan on it.” Chris said with a grin as he got up to leave. As he began to enter the throng of people, Chris overheard Nene say to Linna something about how his mood had improved since he saw Priss. < She's right. I do feel a whole lot better since I was able to see Priss. > Chris thought as he deftly slid through the crowd. Eventually, through skill and an unobtrusive assist by his TK, Chris was standing shoulder-to-shoulder with Priss' adoring fans at the base of the stage.
 
A “PRISS, PRISS, PRISS…” chant began in the crowd as the time for the concert drew near and became a deafening roar as the house lights went dim. Chris got caught up in the energy and cheered as loudly as Priss' most devout fans, even though he had never even heard her sing before. The power and energy that flowed through the crowd tripled as Priss and the Replicants took the stage and immediately launched into a powerful rendition of `Mad Machine'.
 
About half way through the second song Priss made eye contact with Chris and gave him a big smile. Her eyes were on fire with exhilaration as he gazed at her. Wanting to be closer to her, Chris reached out empathically towards her, feeling the passion and joy that poured from her into the songs. He pulled back when he realized that if he continued the contact she might feel his emotions `leaking' through.
 
Chris was amazed by the power and depth of her songs and moved in unison with the rest of the audience enjoying the performance. Occasionally, Priss would glance his way as she sang and even without using his empathy he could tell she was happy he was there.
 
A particularly energetic song ended and Priss turned towards her band mates, saying something that the audience could not hear. A single spotlight illuminated just Priss as she took the microphone in hand as the opening bars of a ballad started.
 
“This is a new song we've been working on. It's called Twilight. Let us know what you think.” Priss said to the crowd a bit breathlessly.
 
 
 
Twilight
 
Someone once said,
"If you fall in love, you'll get lonely."
It's not like me at all
to be as weak as this.
 
[Instrumental]
 
I linger alone on the twilight streets.
The rain subsides, and the pavement glitters.
 
I've felt like this for a while;
ever since I met with the tears you showed me.
 
Although, when we meet, all we do is fight,
and there's no "mood,"
for some reason, when I'm sad,
I set my gaze on you.
 
Someday, I want to
bury my face in your strength,
because I know I'm weak.
But it's OK if we stay the way we are now.
 
[Instrumental]
 
I feel like that wish won't come true,
knowing the gentleness you've shown me.
 
Contrary to my words,
although I may act tough,
for some reason, when I'm alone,
I set my gaze on you.
 
Someday, I want to
bury my face in your warmth,
because I know I'm weak.
But it's OK if we stay the way we are now.
 
Someone once said,
"If you fall in love, you'll get lonely."
It's not like me at all
to be as weak as this.
 
Someone once said,
"If you fall in love, you'll get lonely."
It's not like me at all
to be as weak as this.
 
Someone once said...
 
 
 
Throughout the song Chris found himself staring into Priss' eyes more often than not. Even though he knew she was performing for all present, Priss seemed to be singing to him and him alone. As the last note of the song came from her wonderful voice Priss gave him a small smile.
 
The rest of the concert passed by in a blur for Chris and after Priss and her band had left the stage he returned to the table where Nene and Linna were seated. A perpetual grin was on his face as he turned his chair around and sat on it backwards. He caught a passing waitress and ordered a beer.
 
“It appears someone has had a good time.” Linna remarked.
 
“Yes, yes I have. Thanks for getting me in.” Chris responded. “I was in a bad mood and this lifted it.”
 
“Glad to help.”
 
The three sat around the table having a friendly conversation with Chris explaining what growing up with the X Men was like, when a hand reached over Chris' shoulder and set down another beer in front of him. He looked up to see Priss standing beside him a look of euphoria on her face. Seeing her like this he realized she was on an adrenaline high from performance, which was probably one of the reasons she performed.
 
“That's for keeping your word, hero boy.” Priss said with a grin. She had a towel around her neck and had taken the blonde wig she wore while on stage off, but she still wore the incredibly sexy leather outfit she had performed in. She pulled up a chair and sat down with her friends, taking a sip from her own bottle of beer.
 
“Thanks. It was my pleasure, I assure you.” Chris replied, the grin still plastered on his face.
 
“You were great, as usual Priss!” Nene gushed. “And I loved that new song you did. Y'know the slow one you sang to Chris.”
 
“Nene!” Linna hissed. “I'm sure Chris being here had nothing to do with that song being performed. By the way, you were fantastic, Priss.”
 
“Thanks, Linna. So do you guys want to grab a bite to eat after I change?” Priss asked.
 
“I was on the morning shift today, so I'm beat. I'm going to go home and go to bed.” Nene said as she stifled a yawn.
 
“And I have an early morning class, so I have to say no also.” Linna said. “What about you, Chris?”
 
“I only have to go by Raven's for the prelim testing for Sylia, so yeah I'd love to go.” Chris replied.
 
“Then you two have fun. And Priss, remember we have a meeting at Sylia's at 9 tomorrow morning.” Linna said.
 
“Why does she always have those things so damn early?” Priss groused.
 
“Probably to make you see what the morning traffic is like.” Linna said over her shoulder as she and Nene headed towards the exit.
 
“C'mon hero, you can wait in the back if you want.” Priss said as she rose from her chair. “I've got to change and my bike is out back. Plus, I can avoid any fan boys that way.”
 
“Lead on.” Chris replied as he followed Priss to the backstage area.
 
 
_________________________________________________________________ _______
 
 
 
Leon McNichol, ADP police inspector and an adoring Priss fan sat at the bar in Hot Legs as the crowd thinned out. He was waiting for Priss, hoping he could catch her alone after her performance. Priss came out of the backstage area, but before he could corner her and ask her out on a date, she took a seat at a table across the room. She had even brought a beer for the guy seated there and her body language blatantly said she was interested in him and not her friends who were also at the table. < What the hell? Who is this guy? > Leon thought as he slugged down the rest of his drink.
 
Bewildered and a little angry at this apparent setback with Priss, Leon watched quietly as the women who were at the table with Priss rose to leave, but the man stayed behind. Then he recognized the red head that had just gotten up. It was Nene, the naïve young girl in the secretarial pool who had a knack with computers and research.
 
“Hmm, I wonder how well she knows Priss?” Leon said to himself.
 
Leon was shocked back to the present situation as Priss and the young man left the table and headed towards backstage. They walked side by side, not touching but close, and Leon could plainly see a full smile on Priss' face. He could feel something tearing inside as he watched her leave, and knowing he had lost his chance with beautiful singer. Throwing some cash down onto the bar for his drink, Leon rose and left, not looking back.
 
 
_________________________________________________________________ _______
 
 
 
Priss walked out the stage door of Hot Legs with Chris right behind her. He had retrieved his jacket from the coat check while she changed into her normal clothes, a red biking jumpsuit with her hair pulled back into a ponytail.
 
“Where are you parked, Chris?” Priss asked him.
 
“I'm not parked anywhere, Priss. I walked here.” He replied.
 
“In the rain?”
 
“Yeah, I had a lot on my mind, so I took a walk and ended up here. I met up with Linna and Nene and the rest you know.” Chris said.
 
“You can ride on the back of my bike with me…if you're not scared that is.” Priss offered with an evil gleam in her red-brown eyes as she straddled the powerful machine.
 
“I'll try to control my fear.” Chris said with a chuckle.
 
“Then climb on hero boy.” Priss said patting the small space behind her.
 
Chris climbed onto the back easily and put his hands on her waist. He could feel her tense up for a moment as he touched her, then she relaxed into his grasp. Priss took off with a start and Chris reflexively wrapped his arms around her, pulling himself close. He couldn't help but notice how good it felt to have his arms wrapped around her. < Get your mind out of the gutter, Summers. She barely knows you and you are being way too forward. > Chris mentally scolded himself.
 
Priss didn't try to have him remove his arms from around her midsection as she sped down the streets of MegaTokyo. She pulled up to a stop at a traffic light, and Chris began to back up from Priss, obstinately to give her more room to maneuver. As he began to disengage his hands and scoot back, Priss put her hand on his to stop him. She looked back at him over her shoulder, her hand gripping both of his.
 
“Don't move. I-I like you being close.” Priss stammered out, her cheeks coloring as she realized what she had said. Chris looked into her eyes for a moment, and then pulled himself back to their previous close position. He could feel her release her breath, which she had been holding. < She's as nervous around me as I am around her. > Chris thought as he held the beautiful singer.
 
Riding with their bodies pressed close, the two young people made their way through the nighttime streets of MegaTokyo. Priss guided them past the bright lights to a small all-night ramen stand. Chris removed his arms from around Priss' waist somewhat regrettably, but he enjoyed the sight as she turned a bit and smiled at him as she removed her helmet.
 
“Let's go hero, you're going to buy me the best all-night noodles in town.” Priss said to the X Man standing beside her as she looped her arm through his.
 
“Sounds good, so long as you're there.” Chris responded.
 
“Are you hitting on me, Mr. Summers?” Priss asked archly.
 
“Complaining?” he asked with a grin.
 
“Not considering who is doing the hitting.” She replied with an identical grin.
 
The two young people ordered some noodles and walked over to a small table located on a patio overlooking the great crack in the earth caused by the Second Great Kanto Quake. In companionable silence they ate, each stealing glances at the other and smiling when they were caught.
 
“Can I ask you something?” Priss asked her companion between bites of ramen.
 
“Shoot.” Chris replied.
 
“Is this weird? I mean I barely know you, but I feel so…drawn to you that I don't know what to make of it.” Priss asked, her cheeks coloring a bit.
 
“I know what you mean, Priss.” Chris said reassuringly. “I'm so confused by everything going on in my life it's got me trying to take Logan's head off in our workouts. Don't get me wrong; I want to get to know you. I enjoy it more than anything else right now, but it just feels so right it scares me. Does that make sense?”
 
“Yeah, Chris it does.” Priss said to the young mutant. She reached across the table and took his hand in hers as she continued, “Why don't we just forget about whether it makes sense or not and see if there could be something more, ok?”
 
“I like that idea. A lot.” Chris said as he squeezed her hand.
 
“Good. Let's eat and I'll give you a ride home.” She said as she shoveled some more noodles into her mouth. The rest of the meal went by in relative silence, but it seemed as if an enormous invisible weight had been lifted from both of their shoulders.
 
After the late dinner, Chris climbed onto Priss' bike behind her, pulling close as she started the powerful machine. The ride to the condo where the X Men are based while in MegaTokyo was in silence, each of the riders engrossed in their own thoughts. After a twenty-minute ride, Priss pulled her bike into the underground garage for the condo. Chris reluctantly removed his arms from around Priss' waist as she came to a stop in a parking spot near an elevator.
 
He pulled his helmet off at the same time she did, before getting off the bike. Setting the helmet aside, Chris reached forward and pulled Priss back up against him.
 
“I had fun tonight. Thank you.” He said to her as he brought his head next to hers.
 
“Your welcome. I had fun too.” Priss replied. They remained in the semi-embrace for a few minutes before a yawn overtook both of them.
 
“We're both tired and need some rest. Are you ok to drive home Priss? You can have my room and I'll sleep on the couch.” Chris offered.
 
“I'll make it home.” Priss said, stubbornly stifling another yawn.
 
“If you're sure.” Chris replied dubiously.
 
“I'm sure, now let me go so I can get home.” Priss said.
 
Chris released her and slid off the motorcycle. He reached down and lifted her chin with his right hand, looking into the depths of Priss' red-brown eyes. The world around him seemed to disappear as Chris leaned closer to the beautiful singer, their breath tickling the other's face as their lips met, tentatively at first, then growing into a much deeper, more passionate kiss. They broke away from the kiss reluctantly, their foreheads resting on the other's as they each were breathing deeply afterwards.
 
“Wow. You are amazing, Priss.” Chris remarked, even though it sounded corny.
 
“You're not too bad yourself, hero.” Priss replied a tired grin on her face. “But I gotta go, so you have to move.” She continued while gently pushing back.
 
“Understandable. See you tomorrow, or rather later today?” Chris asked.
 
“I hope so. I'll call you later.” Priss said as she pulled her helmet back on. She pulled out of the space and with a wave left the garage, leaving Chris to ponder the night's events as a contented smile spread across his face.
 
 
_________________________________________________________________ _______
 
 
End of Ties That Bind Part 2