Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040 Fan Fiction / Crossover Fan Fiction ❯ BGC 2055: Megatokyo Burning ❯ Chapter 1

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Bubblegum Crisis 2055: Megatokyo Burning Sparks: Part One

The AD Police headquarters was bustling with people as the older woman walked along the hallway. Her blonde hair fell into her eyes, nearly covering up her round glasses. The uniform was crisp, the insignia of a lieutenant on her collar, but she still stopped to check her overcoat. The thirty something year old woman hit the buzzer, waiting until she heard a reply.

"Come in," the voice yelled, and she went inside. The brown haired man sat behind the desk, studying the paperwork intently. Leon McNicol looked up as she came in and offered a smile, "Hey, Nene. You got the electronic crimes reports?"

Nene Romanova nodded slightly, adding with a sweet little smile, "I had the boys over at the division dumb it down, boss, just for you."

"Gee, thanks," Leon sighed, the light catching traces of gray in his shaggy mop of hair. He looked over the file she handed him while muttering, "I knew I should have turned down the Chief position, Daley could be sitting here right now.."

"You know Daley makes a better second in command, it suits him," Nene shrugged. "There's one thing that concerns me," she said seriously, the head of electronic crimes leaning on the side of the desk, "the increase of corporate espionage."

"Huh," Leon flipped ahead, "no, not good." He looked up at Nene thoughtfully, "I don't recall many being reported to us, though. Your crackers being busy again?"

"Something like that," Nene agreed good naturedly. She raised an eyebrow, "You want me to tell them to stop?"

"Hell no!" Leon sat up, "They're probably the only early warning system we've got."

"I'll pass that on," Nene gave him a smile, "my boys and girls will like hearing that."

"They've earned it," Leon said firmly, "we wouldn't have heard about those death cult nuts in time to stop them without them."

A bit more seriously Nene asked, "Where did things go wrong? I always thought taking out Genom would help Megatokyo."

"Cause Genom wasn't the only bad apple," Leon sighed, "just the biggest and toughest of them. Once they got out of the dirt, a dozen more companies stepped in." He made a face, "There are days that I wish we could put a Knight Sabers signal on the roof."

Nene smirked at that mental image. "You know that the Knight Sabers are all just an urban myth," she said mock seriously.

"City hall might want to sell crap like that," Leon said with a slight smile, "but most of the city knows better, including you and me."

"I'll have my people keeping an eye on the companies involved with the espionage," Nene said thoughtfully, "try to see if their is any escalation."

"Not that we'll be able to do much," Leon made a face. "Too many of the companies have way too much pull with the powers that be."

"Then we pass on the data to those who can do something," Nene said firmly. She gave him a grim little smile, "I'd better get back to work."

"Thanks," and Leon went back to his paperwork.

Nene strode down the hall to her own executive level office, taking a seat behind the large desk. She activated the phone, selecting a specially secured line before making the connection. In seconds a beautiful, silver haired face appeared in the screen and Nene said crisply, "I'd like to get the others together for a meeting."

"Of course," Sylia Stingray narrowed her eyes, assessing the woman's mood. "What time?" she asked her crisply.

"As soon as we can manage, ideally," Nene ran a hand through her hair, "I don't like the looks of some of the information we've got."

Sylia quickly consulted a terminal set beside her seat before reporting, "Tomorrow night is the best I can do, I think."

"See you then," Nene gave her a smile as they disconnected.

With a soft sigh Nene sat back in her chair, fighting back a little stab of jealousy. Sylia had looked like she was barely in her twenties... 'Why were the others so lucky?' she wondered, 'Why are they all still so young?'

Nene rubbed her face with her hands. She knew why, more or less. Nearly fifteen years ago the Knight Sabers had encountered the three Goddesses, when Linna had accidentally called down Belldandy. Urd, Skuld and the demon Mara had soon followed her into their lives, and they became caught up in a plot by Genom to control the supernatural. When the dust settled Quincy was dead, and several Goddesses were living with members of the team.

In the aftermath a hostile takeover of Genom occurred by a powerful if little known company called Whirlwind engineering. Under the new management Genom became a much more ethical, even principled organization, with many of the crooked employees being removed. But in that power vacuum other, less scrupulous organizations moved in, all competing for the same thing. And creating a whole new series of problems for the AD Police.

Nene sighed softly, abandoning her reflection on the past. "I always knew that I should have hooked up with Skuld," she muttered mockingly as she went back to her own work.

"Hey, boss," Lisa stuck her head in with a smile.

"Lisa," Nene nodded to the officer who was theoretically her secretary. In reality Lisa Valente was as good a hacker as any of her people, and could have been a real terror if she wanted to be. "So what's up?" she asked.

"I was going for lunch, thought I'd check if you wanted any," Lisa smiled. The African descended woman hesitated, "What did Chief McNicol think of the report?"

"Leon asked me to pass on his thanks," Nene smiled, "he's impressed."

"I'll tell the others," Lisa said with a smile at the compliment. A bit more seriously, "What are we going to do about it?"

"Keep an eye on it for now," Nene sighed. "I don't like the looks of this, but nobody's reported any crimes yet. Until they do, we can't do anything about it."

"Got it," Lisa headed out without the usual spring to her step.

Not that Nene could blame her for that, really. It could be so frustrating, knowing that crimes were being committed but not being able to do anything about it. Even in her role as a member of the Knight Sabers Nene was faced with those sort of situations, and it was even more frustrating as an officer with the AD Police.

Her phone chimed, and Nene reached over to answer it. Her gave expression relaxed into a smile as she looked at her husband, "Hey, Mackie."

"Nene," the black haired man beamed. He looked about twenty, this humanoid boomer, though in reality he was closer to forty. "What do you want for dinner?" he asked.

"Surprise me," Nene sighed.

"Rough day at work?" Mackie said sympathetically. He grinned suddenly, "There's going to be chocolate on the menu tonight, love."

"You can't solve all my problems with chocolate, honey," Nene shook her head with a smile.

Mackie shrugged, "Maybe not, but it doesn't hurt. You think you'll be home on time?"

Nene checked her watch, then looked at the paperwork on her desk. 'What the hell,' she thought before saying aloud, "I'm heading home now, be there in half an hour."

"See you soon," Mackie waved before his image disappeared.

To be continued....