Card Captor Sakura Fan Fiction ❯ All That She Is ❯ Sakura Goes Missing ( Chapter 18 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

All That She Is

Chapter Eighteen - Sakura Goes Missing

By Crow Skywalker

----------

Disclaimer - I don't own CCS, nor do I claim to. No profit is being made from this…it's only for my amusement :P

Author's Notes - Err…sorry about the delay. I was supposed to get this written last weekend, and I ended up putting it off until now. I actually had a lot more planned for this chapter too, but by the time I got to the part that's now the ending…I decided to split it up into another chapter. Sorry, but it kind of ends in a cliffhanger now ^_~ *is evil* And yes, Sakura is having a conversation with herself, lol. Anyway, I hope to get the next chapter out soon…it's gonna be a good one! Meiling and Sakura face off! Who's gonna win? ;) Wait and see!

Pairings - Sakura/Syaoran, Eriol/Tomoyo

Summary - Sakura's recently moved to Tomoeda. Syaoran makes a bet that he can have any girl, even her. But when he finds out who she really is...the adventure's only just beginning.

----------

Tomoyo watched as Sakura hastily made her way off the dance floor, hurt shining in her eyes. Raising a brow, she glanced as Eriol, who shrugged in response before nodding his head towards her. Getting the message, Tomoyo left his arms to head after Sakura.

She had to run to catch up, pushing couples out of her way as she called out the other girl's name. Either Sakura didn't hear her, or she was ignoring her, because Sakura didn't stop. Soon enough, Sakura was out of sight, and Tomoyo couldn't see her anywhere.

Damn it! Where'd that girl go? She wondered, eyes wandering the crowded room. She couldn't have gotten far!

Tomoyo glanced around the moving people, but could find no sign of her. With a frown, she gave up searching and decided to go talk to Syaoran instead. He had been the last one to talk to her, so if something were wrong he'd know what it was. She found him near the refreshment table, currently being questioned by Eriol.

"What happened? Why'd Sakura storm off like that?" Tomoyo asked, voice raised over the loud music.

"I have no idea!" Syaoran answered, rolling his eyes. Eriol had already asked him, and the truth was he really didn't know what had happened. One minute they had been dancing to the slow music in each other's arms, and then Sakura suddenly started to accuse him of using her to make Meiling jealous! And then, before he could even open his mouth to protest, she'd run off!

"From what I gather, there was a misunderstanding," Eriol informed Tomoyo as he leaned back against the table, arms crossed in front of him.

"A misunderstanding?" Tomoyo frowned.

Syaoran sighed - the girl obviously wasn't going to go away until he explained. "She thought I was only dancing with her to make Meiling jealous."

"Were you?"

"No!" Syaoran insisted, brows furrowed as he looked down at the girl.

"Tell me Syaoran, why were you dancing with her in the first place, if it wasn't to make Meiling jealous?" Asked the boy beside him, "We sent you over to distract her and stop Meiling from getting to her. We didn't say you had to dance with her," Eriol finished with a smile.

Syaoran blushed faintly, looking away from his friends in hopes that the dim light would hide his flushed face. "I don't know. It was a spur of the moment kind of thing…didn't know how to get Sakura away before Meiling got to her, so I just kind of offered to dance."

"I see," Eriol nodded slightly, his famous knowing smile on his face.

"Well, she's disappeared." Tomoyo sighed, leaning against the table as well. "I looked everywhere and couldn't see her."

"Maybe she just needs some time to cool down." Eriol offered.

"Time to cool down?" Tomoyo suddenly stood up straight on both feet and turned to her boyfriend, "Eriol, she's in a house full of people she doesn't know! We just can't let her go off on her own..anything could happen to her!"

"Like what?" Asked Syaoran, giving her a doubtful look.

"Meiling might find her, wherever she is!"

"Don't worry, she's safe." He lifted a hand to point across the room where Meiling was busily flirting with one of the band members, every now and then casting a glance across the room at them. "Meiling's busy at the moment."

"What's she doing?" Eriol asked, eyes narrowing as he squinted to see better. Sometimes contact lenses weren't really that great, and he was just getting used to them. Meiling seemed to know she was being watched, as she glanced over at them with a bitter smirk, before talking animatedly with the band member. "She's up to something."

"All the more reason to find Sakura!" Tomoyo insisted, this time grabbing Syaoran by the shoulders and starting to push him into the crowd.

"Hey!" He protested, "What're you doing? Stop it!"

"You're going to find her!" Tomoyo gave him another push, a hand planted firmly on the back of each shoulder so that he couldn't steer away.

"No I'm not!" He sent a glare over his shoulder at her, "If you want to find her so bad, then you go look for her!"

"You're the reason she ran off, so you're going!"

"I'm staying here!" He said, digging his heals into the floor.

The hands on his back disappeared, and at once he felt himself tugged around so he was facing the furious girl. Staring into her angry eyes, he felt a shiver pass through him - Tomoyo wasn't a girl to get mad, and if he didn't do as she said, he would most likely feel her wrath.

Her right arm raised, she poked her index finger at him angrily as she spoke, "Listen here Syaoran, and listen good! Sakura is a good friend of mine - my best friend, really..I've never really had a close girl friend before. It's always been just you, Eriol and Meiling. We've known each other since kindergarten…and you know that I'd do anything for a friend!"

"And you…you have this stupid bet on the go, and I would have told her by now but I know that would break apart the gang!" She hesitated, "I know you're going to break her heart in the end, but I won't let her be hurt in any physical way! …so please, go find her…for me? I just want to know that she's alright, and that Meiling hasn't dragged her away, kicked the crap out of her and left her to die in some ditch, okay?"

Syaoran blinked, looking down at the girl who was now staring up at him with sad eyes brimming with tears. He looked away, unable to watch as the girl sobbed. He hated it when girls cried - it made his heart melt and he went soft.

"Fine," He told her crossly, arms crossed as he forced himself to send a glare in her direction, "I'll go find her."

"Thank you Syaoran."

-----

Meiling glanced over at Syaoran and his friends, briefly catching Eriol's gaze before she turned back to the boy in front of her. With a playful grin she leaned in, her hands coming up to rest on his chest and her fingers digging into his clothes, dragging him closer to her. With a seductive voice she whispered something in his ear, her warm breath sending shivers down his spine.

"I-I'm sorry," He stammered, trying to move away from her, "But I don't think.."

"Oh come on!" Meiling shoved him away, angry that he hadn't given into her little game.

"I'm just a band m-member..you should ask our singer."

"Ask me what?" Came a voice from behind them, and they both turned to see an older girl dressed in head to toe in black, her dark blue hair casting shadows across her face in the dim light of the room.

"Vitani!" The male band member sighed in relief, "This girl here.."

"I wanted to ask if you could sing a slow song, and dedicate it to Eriol," Meiling interrupted the boy. "He did throw this party, and it must have cost a lot of money and everything. What better way to repay him for his kindness than to dedicate a slow song to him and his girlfriend?"

The woman raised an eyebrow, and her crossed arms fell to her sides. "I think that's a good idea."

Meiling spun around the glare at the cowering boy behind her, before giving the woman a grateful look. "Thank you. I think he'll be very surprised." With a wave of her hand, Meiling started off into the crowd, "Make it a good one too!"

"B-Boss?" The man asked, "Are you really going to do what she asked?"

Cold blue eyes turned on him, "Why shouldn't I? Eriol was nice enough to give us a place to play, and we're getting paid as well. I'd like to do something nice for him."

"But - she tried to hit on me!"

Vitani rolled her blue eyes, throwing silky blue hair over her shoulder as she laughed. "Juno, you really have to get over this fear of girls."

"H-How can I d-do that when my b-boss is a - a slave driver!"

The girl grinned, grabbing hold of his arm and pulling him to the stage. It was time for another slow song.

-----

The moon shone brightly in the sky, making the dark trees and bushes look almost magical. In the middle of the beauty stood a large fountain, the water spraying out sparkling in the moonlight, before falling into the pool of water below it. Looking down into the large bowl of fountain water, Sakura could see the stars' reflection above.

What am I doing? She silently wondered, wrapping her arms around her self in the chilly night air. Why did I run off like that?

Something rustled in a nearby bush, and Sakura's heart nearly stopped. Could it be that the place was haunted, and a ghost was hiding in the bushes? Sakura blinked and shook her head, trying to rid herself of such thoughts. She'd been scared of ghosts since she was little - it was about time she grew out of such childish fears.

Her eyes adjusting to the lack of light, Sakura watched as a small bird hopped out of the trees, staring at her curiously before flittering away. Sakura let out the breath she had been hoping.

See? It wasn't a ghost! She heard a voice in her head scold her, it was only a bird! You have to stop being so naïve and gullible, Sakura!

Naïve and gullible? Sakura covered her face with her hands, letting them slide down her face slowly as she took a seat on a nearby stone-like bench. You're so stupid, Sakura! You let people use you and hurt you!

Hurt me? She tried to reason with the voice in her head, I don't…understand…why it hurts. Syaoran's my friend…sort of…but why does it hurt? I guess I kind of like him…when he's not being nasty to me and threatening me for the Cards…but… You thought there was something going on between the two of you, don't you? The nasty little voice in her head asked, But in reality he was only using you to get back at his old girlfriend! The voice whispered nastily.

Sakura clenched her eyes closed, trying to block out that voice. Shut up, shut up, SHUT UP! You're wrong!

Am I? It questioned, Are you trying to deny that you have feelings for Syaoran?

I..I don't know! She cried truthfully, I…maybe…I'm so confused right now… It's time to grow up, Sakura…stop being so childish. How could there possibly be anything between the two of you? He hates you, and you return those feelings, don't you?

I…I thought I did, she confessed, But the other night…when I thought he was going to kiss me…She held a hand up to her chest, looking painfully down at the ground, I felt my heart thudding so hard in my chest…and I realized..

That it was possible that you had feelings for him? That you loved him? What? The voice questioned her. I thought…it was possible. It's not love, I haven't known him that long. But..I feel this connection to him..and tonight..it was so magical, so amazing when he held me in his arms and we danced..I felt like I was floating..I feel so warm and safe in his arms!

The arms of the enemy.

My..enemy.. He used you to make Meiling jealous. That's all he wanted..he doesn't want you. He doesn't feel anything for you!

Sakura's eyes narrowed briefly, her hands moving over her arms to keep her warm and her breath coming out in small clouds, visible in the moonlight. Fall sure was rolling in quickly. She was sure that in a few more weeks, they'd be seeing the first few snowflakes. Where had summer gone?

You're right. I was a fool to believe that he might actually like me. She let her hands slip to the cool stone beneath her, leaning back as she stared up at the cold starry sky, He's my rival - my enemy, and he'll never be anything more. He doesn't even treat me like a friend…how could I possibly think..?

"Kinomoto." A voice interrupted her thoughts, and Sakura looked up to see a dark figure standing near the fountain.

-----

"I've checked the bathrooms, all the rooms upstairs and downstairs…I can't find her anywhere." Syaoran told his two friends, leaning against a wall so that he could catch his breath. He'd had to run all over the house, hoping to find Sakura, but he hadn't found a trace of her.

"Check the library?"

"Yes," Syaoran sighed in frustration.

"The kitchens? The dining room? The basement?" Asked Tomoyo.

"I checked everywhere!" Syaoran snapped.

"Did you check the back -" Whatever Eriol was going to say, was suddenly cut off when the music stopped and a the lead girl singer stepped up to the microphone, pulling it close to her lips as she crowd turned to her.

"What's going on?" Tomoyo asked from beside Eriol, staring up at him with questioning eyes. "Why'd the music just stop like that?"

The girl at the microphone coughed lightly, catching more of the dancing people's attention. Finally, once everyone was watching her, she smiled, blinking at the lights that were shining down at her. "Hello everyone!" She finally spoke, her voice loud through the speakers, "I hope that you're enjoying the music -" There was a loud cheer, and she grinned, "I just wanted to thank you all, especially the man of the house, Eriol, who hired us to play tonight. Everyone give him a round of applause!"

Clapping started throughout the room, everyone glancing back at the dark haired teenager and giving him a thumbs up. He glanced around, suddenly having a bad feeling about all of this.

"I'd like to dedicate the next song to him and his beautiful girlfriend," The girl announced on stage, and suddenly hoots and cat calls started, "Come on Eriol and Tomoyo, lets see you two!"

The crowd started to push them forward into the middle of the floor, and suddenly they were both surrounded by people. The girl had picked up her guitar by now, and was leaning into the microphone as she began to play a slow song, her angelic voice creating a romantic atmosphere.

Tomoyo glanced at Eriol, still confused as to what was happening. He shrugged, deciding to just go with it, before holding out his hand. She took it, and he swung her into his arms. Within minutes they were slow dancing in the middle of the room, the crowd around them turning to their loves and joining in not too long after.

From where he stood, Syaoran watched, an eyebrow raised. Something wasn't right, he could feel it! He had to find Sakura as soon as possible. Turning around, he was about to check outdoors for her, when he realized a girl was standing behind him - quite close, actually. Her hands were on either side of her, playing with the fabric of her dress, and she looked quite embarrassed.

"Rika," He acknowledged her after his initial shock. Why was she standing there…what did she want?

"Uhm, hi Syaoran." She blushed, refusing to look him in the eye, "I was just wondering…would you dance with me? Just this once?"

Syaoran opened his mouth to say something, but couldn't come up with a good excuse. "I'm sorry, Rika I have to.."

"I know you don't like me or anything," She said hastily, "Its just that I've never danced with anyone, and Meiling was making fun of me earlier…" She hesitated, raising her eyes to meet his briefly, "I promise it will only be this once! Just please - dance with me?"

Syaoran sighed, looking into her hopeful eyes. He couldn't say no, not when one of Tomoyo's friends needed help. Besides, it was only a stupid slow dance - three minutes of his time, and then it would all be over. What could it hurt? "Sure."

"Really?" She smiled, taking hold of his arm and dragging him out onto the dance floor, "Thanks a lot Syaoran!"

Try as he might, Syaoran still couldn't shake off the bad feeling he had.

To Be Continued…