Card Captor Sakura Fan Fiction ❯ All That She Is ❯ Dance Gone Wrong ( Chapter 17 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

All That She Is

Chapter Seventeen - Dance Gone Wrong

By Crow Skywalker

----------

Disclaimer - I don't own CCS, nor do I claim to. No profit is being made from this…it's only for my amusement :P

Author's Notes - Heheh..you thought I was evil for the last chapter, but wait until you read this one! And the one after this…whew, it's going to be fun! Haha..how many other author's have had Meiling and Sakura face off in a…whoops, can't ruin it for the readers! Anyway, I told you I'd get another chapter out before Christmas! I'm off for the holidays now, so I have more time to write. 'Dreams Come True' is not a real band, although it was the song I was listening to while writing this. If anyone's interested, it's by SES :P R&R, and enjoy the chapter!

Pairings - Sakura/Syaoran, Eriol/Tomoyo

Summary - Sakura's recently moved to Tomoeda. Syaoran makes a bet that he can have any girl, even her. But when he finds out who she really is...the adventure's only just beginning.

----------

The trip to Eriol's house was a quiet one, with Touya in the drivers seat, Nakuru in the passenger seat, and Yukito sitting behind her in the back seat with Sakura and Tomoyo. Sakura thought nothing of it, staring down at her lap as she played with her hands nervously. This was her first party in a new city, after all, and she barely even knew anyone besides Tomoyo and a few classmates she'd met.

As if reading her mind, Tomoyo whispered, "Nervous?"

Sakura nodded her head, her eyes finding Tomoyo's in the darkness. A street light passed overhead, and Sakura could see her friend smiling at her.

"Don't worry about it." Tomoyo said, and looked out the car window at the night sky.

Sakura glanced back down at her hands, and planted them at either side of her. She heard a chuckle beside her, and she looked up to see Yukito grinning at her, his silver hair glinting golden as they passed under another street light.

"This your first party, Sakura?" He asked in amusement, and Sakura blushed, suddenly unable to meet his gaze.

"Yes." She answered quietly, although it came out more like a squeak. She scolded herself for being so nervous over nothing, and for acting like such a child in front of Yukito. For some reason, she felt the need to act strong and mature in front of the older boy, as if she felt the need to impress him.

Touya glanced at Sakura from the rear view mirror. "Just stay away from anything that tastes funny, and keep a distance from the boys. Especially that gaki that keeps following you around."

"What's this?" Nakuru half turned around in her seat to smile at the blushing younger girl, "Sakura's already got a boyfriend?"

"B-boyfriend?" Sakura's eyes widened, and then she shook her head frantically, "No, no! It isn't anything like that!"

"Sounds like it to me!" The girl winked, turning back in her seat. She then reached across the distance to lay a hand on Touya's leg as he drove. "I have a guy like that too." She beamed over the choking noise Touya made.

Sakura forced a smile, and suddenly looked to Yukito. She couldn't see much in the dark, but she could tell he wasn't smiling anymore, and his eyes were now on the brown haired girl sitting in the front seat. Sakura silently wondered what was going through his mind. He seemed to have something against Nakuru for some reason…She shrugged it off, maybe she was looking into it wrong? Maybe Yukito liked Nakuru? Another light passed over, and Sakura saw his scowl as he watched the girl. She blinked as the darkness returned. Okay, maybe not…

Tomoyo suddenly sat forward, pointing through the front window to give directions. "Eriol's house is on that street right there. The very last house on the corner," She told Sakura's brother, who turned into the street. As the car slowed, Sakura moved her head so she could stare up at the house that Eriol supposedly lived in.

"Oh my.." She gasped, "It's HUGE!"

From beside her Tomoyo laughed, reaching for the door handle and opening the door. Getting out, she held the door for Sakura to crawl out after her. "Eriol's rich, didn't you know?" She smiled.

"I knew he had a lot of money," Sakura nodded, "But I never thought he'd live in a house as big as this! And all by himself!"

Eriol had told her a while ago that he lived alone - his parents died in a car accident. She thought that was pretty sad, and felt bad for him - but now, standing in front of the huge mansion, she realized just how alone he was.

"His Aunt checks on him every now and then." Tomoyo shut the door, and they made their way around to the other side of the car. They were walking up the front walk when they heard a shout behind them, and they turned to see the passenger window down, and a concerned Touya looking out from where he sat.

"Have fun Sakura! Remember what I said -"

Ignoring what Touya was saying, Nakuru waved from the passenger seat, a small smile upon her face. "Be careful!" She rolled up the window before Touya could say anything else, and soon the car was driving away.

Be careful? What could possibly happen at a party? Sakura shook her head with a smile. "Strange girl."

She turned to catch up to Tomoyo.

-----

The music was loud, coming from a hired band in the front room. Sakura walked through the house, eyes wide in amazement. She wondered how Eriol was able to afford all of this, her eyes catching the band, and wandering across the large room to the table of refreshments and other things. She was about to go get something to drink when a voice stopped her.

"Sakura!" Rika called across the crowd, waving a hand as she stood on tiptoe to see over people.

"Rika!" Sakura smiled and waved back, watching as the girl pushed the dancing people out of her way as she made her way towards Sakura.

She huffed when she finally made it, laying a hand on Sakura's arm to steady herself. "Great party, huh?"

Sakura hadn't been there very long before Eriol had showed up, and had insisted on showing Sakura around since it was her first time at his house. He showed her around downstairs so she wouldn't get lost, and once they returned to the main room where most of the party was being held, he had excused himself and Tomoyo, taking the other girl out onto the dance floor. Sakura hadn't seen them since.

"Yeah." Sakura nodded, although she felt really out of place in the room full of people. She didn't know any of them, although she recognized most of them from school.

"Oh my god! Sakura! I love that shirt!" Naoko exclaimed, suddenly appearing out of the crowd holding a glass of punch. "You look gorgeous in it!"

"Thanks." Sakura blushed lightly, "Tomoyo made it."

At this, the girls gasped. "Really? Wow..I knew Tomoyo was into making new designs and stuff…but..wow!"

"Speaking of Tomoyo," Rika looked around, "Where is she?"

"Off with Eriol, I bet." Naoko smirked.

"Hey, there they are!" Rika finally spotted them, and pointed them out from across the room. They were talking to two people, near the front entrance. "They're talking to Syaoran and Meiling.." She suddenly scrunched her nose, "Meiling's got a pretty tight grip on Syaoran," She turned back to the girls, "Are they back together?" She wondered.

For some reason, Sakura felt like her heart just dropped to the floor. And her eyes instantly searched out Tomoyo and the others, coming to a rest on Syaoran. Sure enough, Meiling's arms were wrapped tightly around Syaoran's arm. As if sensing she was being watched, Meiling suddenly looked her way, and caught eyes with Sakura, emerald against ruby. Meiling's eyes narrowed, and she smirked, holding Syaoran closer and turning her attention back to what Eriol was saying.

Naoko, noticing Sakura's silence, said, "Look at her over there…desperately hanging onto him." She shook her head.

"Pitiful, really," Rika nodded, grabbing the glass out of Naoko's hand and swallowing its contents.

"Hey!" Naoko yelled, bringing her hands up to her hips as she glared at her friend.

Rika nodded, laying the empty cup down on a nearby windowsill. "Hey, I was thirsty!"

Naoko rolled her eyes. "I'm going to get another drink, anyone wanna come?"

"Sure!" Rika grinned at the evil look she was receiving from her friend. "You coming Sakura?"

Sakura shook her head, giving them a small smile. "No, I think I'll stay here."

"Okay," Her friends waved, "See you around!"

And once again, Sakura was left alone.

-----

Meiling half listened to what the couple in front of her was saying, her eyes roaming the crowd of dancing teenagers. She and Syaoran had arrived late, of course, thanks to her. But that was okay, since it was all part of her plan.

"…so the I saw a poster on a billboard featuring this band, 'Dreams Come True', and Tomoyo talked me into hiring them." Eriol was saying, looking at the band as they played, "They're quite good, I must admit."

"The people seem to like them anyway." Tomoyo added with a shrug.

Syaoran nodded, trying to get his arm away from Meiling, who had a hold of him so tight he couldn't feel his fingers anymore. He finally sighed, his head drooping as he gave up. It was no use.

But as if by some miracle, her arm finally slipped from his, and she stared up at him with her fiery eyes. "I'm going to get a drink, do you want anything Syaoran?"

"No thanks."

With that, she headed off into the crowd, and once she was out of sight he said, "Thank god! Now hide me before she comes back!"

Both his friends laughed, and he couldn't help but smile a bit as well.

"Meiling's back on the prowl, is she?" Eriol asked.

"More than ever. I can't do anything without her following me…I mean, she wasn't even invited tonight, her excuse was that if I was invited, then so was she!" Syaoran shook his head, "Sorry about that, by the way."

Eriol patted Syaoran on the back. "Don't worry, we know all about your girl problems."

Syaoran's eyes snapped up, and he met Eriol's. A memory from not too long ago flashed through his head, of him and Sakura lying on top of her bed, about to kiss. Syaoran flushed. How did he know…oh wait, he's talking about Meiling…yeah, that's it.

He barely noticed when the music in the background started to change, and a slow song was being played. People started moving off the floor to allow more room for couples to dance, creating enough empty space to see across the room.

Tomoyo's eyes widened as her eyes fell on someone, and she suddenly remembered something. "Oh my god! I forgot about Sakura - we just kind of left her by herself!" Tomoyo shook her head. "I'm such a bad friend!"

Syaoran followed Tomoyo's gaze, and his eyes landed on Sakura for the first time that evening. Dressed in the emerald shirt and black pants, he had to do a double take. Kinomoto..? His eyes widened slightly. She looks so… He couldn't bring himself to say 'beautiful'. She was his enemy after all, and thoughts like those were wrong!

Out of the corner of his eye, Eriol saw Syaoran's shocked expression, and he elbowed Tomoyo lightly. Looking up at Syaoran, she stifled a giggle. Poor boy's entranced…I was right! She grinned widely, and she received a more urgent elbow this time. She looked across the room, and her smile faded. "Uh oh."

Syaoran finally looked away, looking over at Tomoyo. "What?"

Tomoyo pointed just to the right of Sakura. "Meiling's on her way towards Sakura…"

Bits of conversation from earlier that day came back to him, things that Meiling had said about her protecting what was hers, and about Sakura staying away. Syaoran blinked - Meiling really wouldn't start something at a friend's party, would she? But seeing the determined expression on her face, he decided that's exactly what she planned on doing.

"Syaoran!" He felt someone push him from behind, and he looked over his shoulder to see Tomoyo pushing him forward, "Do something to stop her!"

"What am I supposed to do?" He asked.

"I don't know…think of something on your way over there!" She pleaded, and he rolled his eyes with a sigh.

"Fine." He grumbled, making his way across the room, pushing past dancing couples and trying to get to Sakura before Meiling did.

-----

Sakura leaned against the back wall, watching the couples dance and listening to the slow music. From where she stood she could see Rika dancing with a guy from her math class, and she smiled. At least her friends were having a good time…

"Come on."

Startled, Sakura looked up to see Syaoran standing in front of her, his hand held out to her. Confused, she asked, "What?"

"I said, come on." He answered, sounding kind of impatient as his eyes flickered somewhere to her right every now and then.

"Why.." She was suddenly caught off guard when he grabbed her by the hand, leading her out onto the dance floor. Once they were out there, he turned to her.

"Li, what are you doing?" She asked, puzzled.

Putting his arms around her waist loosely enough that she could pull away if she wanted to, he rolled his eyes. "What does it look like?"

Sakura blushed furiously. "You..want to dance with me?"

"Good guess, Kinomoto."

Sakura frowned at his rudeness, putting her arms around his neck even though he was being an ass. They began to slow dance to the music.

From where they danced, Syaoran could see Meiling's blazing eyes as she watched them. He'd managed to save Sakura from her wrath for now, but Meiling wasn't the one to back down. She'd be back, and most likely she'd come back even more angry and determined than before. A wave of protectiveness went through him, and he unconsciously pulled Sakura closer. He breathed in deeply, taking in her scent and closing his eyes in contentment. As much as he hated to admit it, this…it just felt so right! They fit together perfectly. He wrapped his arms around her more tightly, enjoying the moment…until he opened his eyes and met Meiling's glare once again.

Blushing a deep red, Sakura allowed the sudden closeness, and laid her head on Syaoran's shoulder. He didn't seem to mind, although it seemed his mind was elsewhere. She glanced up, looking in the direction he was staring, and met Meiling's angry eyes right before the black haired girl turned and stomped off.

Meiling… She lifted her head from Syaoran's shoulder. That's right, Meiling came with Syaoran! But why…why is Li dancing with me then? Why isn't he with his fiancée? She suddenly pushed Syaoran away, her eyes downcast. She could feel his questioning gaze on her. It suddenly clicked - Syaoran and Meiling were engaged, but Meiling was seeing other people.

"I get it, you're only dancing with me to make Meiling jealous, because you want her back." She said softly.

Syaoran furrowed his brows. "What are you talk-"

Sakura looked up, her eyes showing the hurt she was feeling. "You don't have to explain. I understand. You used me to make her jealous…" The hurt suddenly disappeared, and it was replaced by anger, "In fact, you being anywhere near me…that's the only reason, isn't it? To make Meiling jealous! I know you hate me -"

"I don't hate you, Kinomoto." Syaoran said quietly, but she wouldn't hear any of it.

"- but that gives you no right to use me like this!" She continued, using a finger to poke him in the chest.

"Sakura -"

The girl whirled around in a huff, leaving Syaoran staring after as she exited the room. The slow music ended and the couples around him separated as the rock music continued, and soon the dance floor was once again full of moving dancing bodies.

Syaoran stood in shock, wondering what the hell just happened.

To Be Continued…