Card Captor Sakura Fan Fiction ❯ Angel of My Dreams ❯ Losing Control ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Angel of My Dreams
 
By EmyBlossom
 
Rated T for violence and sexual themes
 
Summary: He was always missing something in his life. But he didn't know that something came with a halo and wings. S/S
 
Disclaimer: I do not own Sakura or Syaoran, they are owned by the lovely ladies of CLAMP. But this story concept is mine and so are characters like Doe Nintoda (unfortunately, she would annoy me in real life!). This is completely a work of fiction and is in no way to be sold for profit.
 
A/N: I loved the support I received from my one-shot that I decided to continue the story. I also noticed this: One-shots do not get much respect. While I got quite a bit of support for the story's continuation, I did not get very many readers. I think stories under the “romance only” category get fewer readers, thinking it will be a mushy story but I promise you, this story will have substance! I was pleased that one day out of the blue I received an email from a reader asking me to continue the story. And while it has been years (yes, YEARS!) since I wrote any fanfiction, new readers occur every day and enjoy the story anew. It truly is you, the readers that make this all worth it. Thanks for those who gave this story (and this writer) a chance.
 
Chapter 3: Losing Control
 
She's as pretty as a picture,
Every bit as funny as she is smart,
Got a smile that'll hold you together,
And a touch that'll tear you apart,
When she's yours she brings the sunshine,
When she's gone the world goes dark,
Yeah, she's heaven on the eyes
But she's hell on the heart
“Hell on the Heart” by Eric Church
 
 
Here I was, in the usual spot again, under my favorite tree in the courtyard. I was using my magic to make myself visible so I could read a book I had checked out from the library. I was close to almost finishing Princess Nevermore when I noticed a shadow pass over the page. Suddenly Syaoran's face was over the top of my book and this exhibited a squeak of surprise from me.
 
He looked at me with eyes narrowed, “You shouldn't be visible when I'm not around, it's dangerous. Plus, aren't you, as my guardian angel, supposed to be with me in case I need to be, oh, I don't know, guarded?”
 
I held my book up defensively, “But it's getting to the clincher! Besides, you were in class. You don't know how boring it gets for me to sit around like that.”
 
“Like it's any different for me!” he said with a laugh.
 
I frowned. He caught me in a mental snare. I couldn't think up an argument to that! I pretended to be very perturbed and answered huffily, “Hai, Hai. I'll clean the apartment as recompense.” Lately I'd been pulling more of an attitude around Syaoran. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't to incur his wrath, but more as a defense to my attraction to him. It was against the rules for me to exhibit romantic feelings for my charge. Who knows what would happen if the higher ups got word of what I did.
 
He smirked. “If there's one thing I have learned over years of living alone, it's to not turn down a free house cleaning. Okay, before we go, I have to meet with my professor about a paper. Can you wait here for me? Or would you like to tag along?”
 
I wrinkled my nose slightly. He laughed and waved for me to stay. I smiled in return. A few more minutes of reading time! I cracked my book open again and absorbed myself in that world.
 
Normally I would have heard the approach of footsteps if I hadn't been so into my reading. Another shadow fell over my page. “Oh, back so soon? I'd hardly read more than a few…” I looked up and saw someone I was not expecting.
 
“M-Mao-san! Sorry, I thought you were someone else.” He was standing over me, making me feel small and uncomfortable.
 
“Sakura-chan, it's good to see you again. I didn't know you went to school here. What a coincidence, I do too.” His eyes were calculating but it was difficult to tell what he was thinking.
 
I was getting the bad waves from him again. “No no! I'm just waiting for Syaoran-kun.” Darn my honesty. I wish it wasn't so instinctive.
 
“Ah, right. The defensive boyfriend.” He shook his head with his eyes closed and a hand placed on his forehead. I was about to deny him saying that Syaoran was my boyfriend but I grit my teeth together to keep from talking. He continued, “Well, that probably should be my clue to back away right now before he shows up. Normally I'm a sucker for taking risks but I'm not feeling like getting my ass kicked today.” He was looking somewhere else, his grin sly. Quick as lightning, he was looking down at me with his electric blue eyes, “Do you always wait for Syaoran here?”
 
I had to bite my tongue to keep my honest streak from answering immediately. I took a split second to rethink my reply, “Not always.” I held his gaze and kept my expression soft as I said it so he would think I answered truthfully, because really, I did always wait for him here if I wasn't with him already in class.
 
His smile was genuine, “Well, I hope I see you here sometime, when the defensive boyfriend isn't around that is.”
 
I gulped but nodded. He waved as he walked off. “See you around, Sakura-chan.” I did not enjoy his free use of my name in such a casual manner but I failed to correct him.
 
After his departure, I was a little too rattled to continue reading. I almost even lost concentration on the spell that held me visible. This jerked me back to what was important, waiting for Syaoran and staying visible. But I could feel my powers waning. After our date, I had used up my reserves of power enough to drain me for over a week and I had just been getting it back over the past few days and was using it up now.
 
My eyes began to droop when I felt a hand on my shoulder. I looked up sleepily at Syaoran's handsome face. He amber eyes looked worried. “I'm alright,” I answered before he could ask.
 
He breathed a sigh of relief and offered me a hand, “Good, I was afraid we would have a rerun of what happened last time.”
 
Oh, guess he was still freaked out about what happened after our date. What happened after I “passed out” was that I was in a human sleep-like state until the morning sun's rays hit me through Syaoran's apartment window. Then I “woke up” and slowly disappeared, back to my usual invisible state just as Syaoran arose at the side of the bed. Just before I was completely gone I said “Daijoubu.” I don't think this was enough thought because for days after that he continued on with his daily routine sullenly. When I did have enough power to appear before him again (about 5 days after the incident and even then, I could only be seen for a few minutes) I explained that this is what happens when I use up my magic. I enter a state of rest that I can't be aroused from except by the sun and then I reenter invisible mode so I can suck up its energy. It's a process that no angel wants to go though again so it usually only happens once in their lifetime. Syaoran agreed that I shouldn't use up so much energy in one go so the process won't be repeated again.
 
I smiled up at him and took the hand he offered.
 
“Did you finish it yet?” He gestured to the book in my other hand.
 
I shook my head and remembered the reason why I didn't get much reading done. I suddenly felt a wave of loneliness and fear that I calmed by wrapping my arms around Syaoran's torso and hugging him close.
 
“S-Sakura!” I could hear the shock in his voice as I rested my head against his chest. It took him a moment to return the hug. “You know, I missed you, while you were gone.”
 
He meant when I had disappeared for that week. My cheeks heated up a little. “I missed you too, though I could see you so it wasn't as bad as it could have been.” I pulled away, noticing I missed the feel of him already.
 
He patted my head. “Let's head home.”
 
“Mm!”
 
He started ahead of me but I lingered a stride behind feeling unsure. With a knowing glance back, Syaoran wiggled his free hand. I instantly brightened and took it with my own. Passing through the school gates, I knew that nothing would ruin this day.
 
_____ _____
/ \ / \
/ /| /| / \ |\ |\ \
/_/ /_/ --/ \-- \_\ \_\
 
The morning alarm went off too soon in my opinion. Staying up late last night studying left little time to sleep. I threw an arm over to slam the sleep button. I never really slept five more minutes before the alarm rang again; I just used the time to officially get my bearings before turning the alarm clock off.
 
I took a deep breath and smelled faintly cherry blossoms and vanilla. This was her sign of letting me know she was here. “Ohaiyo, Sakura.” The window slid open and closed in reply. She gave me privacy in the morning when I went to get dressed. Once I asked her why she chose to use this method to let me know she was here rather than just showing herself and she told me that it used much less magic to do it this way. All complicated magic aside, it was nice that she took the effort anyway.
 
I got dressed and made a cup of instant coffee. I didn't much like the taste of black coffee but the caffeine was now a necessary thing in the morning. I flipped on the television to the morning news. More talk about politics and the stock market, nothing that interested me. Just as I was turning away from the television, Sakura appeared wearing another white dress, this one with blue plaid accented ruffles. She was sitting too close to the television to be healthy, staring at the television. I didn't fully understand what interested her, but then again, practically everything about this world interested her. I was just about to wash my mug in the sink when I noticed something on her back.
 
Baby wings. That's what was peaking between the straps of her dress. I smirked as I stalked up to touch them. I gently stroke the left one, noticing the velvet texture. Almost as soon as I did, Sakura jumped up in surprise and ended up on her feet, her bright red face looking at me.
 
“Wha-wha-what're you d-doing?!” Her voice gained a squeaky tone to it. She had wrapped her arms protectively around herself. Her tiny body gently shook.
 
I laughed at her reaction. “I was just touching your wings!” I said, gasping for breath. “Your reaction was hilarious!” I continued to laugh as her face turned even more red, whether from anger or embarrassment I didn't know.
 
“I'll have you know, an angel's wings are very sensitive!” Apparently it was anger.
 
“Sorry, it was just, this was one of the only times I've ever seen them.” My laughter had finally quieted.
 
“It uses extra magic to hide them, but this time I'd just forgotten.”
 
“You don't have to hide them if it's just the two of us.”
 
“Really? I thought you would be freaked out by them.”
 
I reached a hand out to stroke them again. “I think they're beautiful.”
 
She closed her eyes as I stroked the other one, longer this time. It felt so soft to the touch. “Mmm…” I stopped and looked at her face. She had a dazed look and appeared breathless, her cheeks splashed with red again. Was she enjoying this?
 
I brushed my hand against them again. “Syaoran,” she said huskily.
 
I couldn't stop myself from what happened next. I cupped her flaming cheeks with my hands and kissed her. I felt her freeze for a split second and then she kissed back. Electricity flowed from our lips down to my toes. I drew out the kiss as long as I could before pulling away. She didn't let me escape though; she pulled me back with her hand behind my neck. She kissed me with forceful hunger and I did little to resist.
 
Finally, the need for air became apparent and we rested our foreheads against each other's. “Sorry,” I murmured, not totally meaning it. She took it that I did though. “No need to apologize, I'm as guilty as you are,” she said with a shaky breath.
 
A few seconds passed as we gained our bearings. I smiled, “Your wings really are sensitive.” That made her laugh.
 
“Oh!” She sat up and pointed to the clock. “School!”
 
“Shit, I'm gonna be late,” I was still smiling as I said this though. I ran and grabbed my bag. I held it in one hand as I shoved the appropriate textbooks in with the other. In that same minute, I snagged the keys from the dining table. I saw her still sitting in the same spot, a dazed look on her face. I jingled the keys to get her attention.
 
“You coming?”
 
“Mm!” She nodded vigorously. She stood up and ran through the door. She rocked on her heels waiting as I locked the front door and put my keys in my pocket. I started down the hall and felt her wavering behind. Remembering how she never made the first move, I wiggled my hand. She took it with her own, lacing her fingers through it. We were on our way, Sakura humming a tune I didn't recognize and my palm tingling where it touched hers.
 
When we reached the school, Sakura pulled me into an uninhabited corner. For a brief second, I thought she was going to assault me with another kiss, which I would have enjoyed very much. For this reason I stared at her perfectly pink lips with hopefulness.
 
She didn't notice the direction of my gaze and spoke, “I'll be with you in class today. Promise.”
 
For a second, she hesitated and then those lips came forward and pecked me on the cheek. I was surprised but I kept wanted more. I put my hand under her chin and pulled her to me, if only briefly. She was surprised and didn't have enough time to join in.
 
“Syaoran!” She scolded, but her cheeks were tinged with pink. “Not in public!” She playfully swatted him and then vanished. I ran a hand through my messy locks feeling victorious before I headed into the direction of class.
 
_____ _____
/ \ / \
/ /| /| / \ |\ |\ \
/_/ /_/ --/ \-- \_\ \_\
 
 
I've given up. I'm far too attracted to Syaoran not to act on my feelings. Lord help me if the higher ups find out what I'm doing.
_________________________________________________________________ _____________
 
I'm back, baby! But it's still up in the air whether I will continue this writing streak. I hope you all enjoyed this chapter none the less. Again, I was kinda sick when I wrote this and for some crazy reason I chose to write instead of playing videogames. Kinda strange! So I'm on winter break now and since I'm in college now (I was in high school when I wrote my two fanfics) my break happens to last for about a month! Maybe you can expect more in that time, but who knows, maybe I'll get some shifts in at work (I got a job too, huzzah!) or I'll get addicted to videogames again (probably with Christmas coming up lol). I realize this chapter was shorter than usual but I thought Sakura's realization was a good place to stop. If any of you are thinking that this is moving kinda fast, I agree, but wouldn't you rather have it that way if I don't write that often? One last thought before I sign off, isn't that little wing picture adorable?! I hope it shows up online, I did spend a while on it and I love it, even if it's simple.
 
Please review and who knows, I might continue if I get enough of them!
 
# of pages on Word (chapter only): 6
# of pages on Word total: 43
Hours spent typing: Two+
Hoped amount of reviews for this chapter: 10 that don't only say “please write soon!”
 
Love,
EmyBlossom