Card Captor Sakura Fan Fiction ❯ Card Captor Sakura - Altered World ❯ Sakura’s Dizzy Fever Day ( Chapter 32 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Card Captor Sakura - Altered World

Notes/Disclaimer: This fanfic is S+S. It will deal with more angst and dark concepts later on, laced with my eccentric humour. CLAMP owns CCS, not me.

Sorry for the lateness, Onii-chan came home… -__-' and all the fluffiness of this chapter is killing me. Why did I write such fluffy fluff? This chapter was a lot harder to write than I originally intended...

Remember, this fanfic is now following the manga.

Chapter 26: Sakura's Dizzy Fever Day

"Who are you?"

Sakura's voice drifted within the darkness. Again, at the Tsukimine Shrine, she found herself staring up at the unknown figure clothed in heavy flowing robes balanced on the entrance to the shrine. She froze when she saw a familiar symbol glowing a fierce red appear underneath the man. In fact, she had not seen it since she had captured all the cards....

"That is, Clow-san's magic circle…"

The figure tilted his head towards her but she could not get a clear view of his face. She voiced the question in her head.

"Who are you?"

The images scattered as Cerberus's greeting of "Good morning, Sakura!" and the painful ringing of her alarm clock roused her from the land of jumping sheep. After silencing the torturous clock and muffling a yawn, Sakura gave her attention to her exuberant friend with the likeness of an animated stuff doll.

"Good morning, Kero-chan," Sakura greeted as she rubbed an eye absentmindedly. "I feel like if I'm missing something…"

Cerberus hovered closer. "What's wrong?"

"I had a dream I couldn't remember. Except… I thought I saw a magic circle; Clow-san's. Maybe I imaging things," Sakura rambled on, failing to notice the sudden grim expression her companion wore.

Cerberus cut his gloomy train of thought when he noticed Sakura's semi-dazed expression. "Hey, you're face is red. Do you have a fever?"

"I'm feeling a bit dizzy, but I'll be fine!" replied Sakura cheerfully as she grabbed her uniform and headed for the bathroom.

Cerberus shook his head. "I wonder if you really are fine."

After Sakura finished, she walked down the stairs carefully, hands pressed against the walls for support. She felt a bit of nausea, but she wouldn't let that deter her.

"Good morning Otou-san!" Sakura greeted with a cheerful smile at father, currently setting their breakfast.

"Good morning Sakura-san, the excavation is today. It's a good thing the weather decided to clear up," commented Fujitaka as he laid the last plate on the table.

Sakura paused as she made her way to a picture of her mother at her father's words. I almost forgot. I don't want Otou-san to miss the excavation because I'm not feeling well. He's been looking forward to it for a while. I can't let him know I have a fever.

"That's great. I hope it'll go well." Sakura's lips lifted into a bright smile, as she stared at the picture of her mother smiling benevolently. "Good morning, Okaa-san."

After sitting through breakfast, willing herself to look as healthy as normal, Sakura managed to survive and bid her father a lively goodbye before deflating immediately once the door was firmly shut.Should I go to school today? I've got morning duty and I don't want to leave all the work to Li-kun…I'll be okay.

With that thought in mind and ignoring how her head spun, she managed to dig through the medicine cabinet for some Tylenol.

*****


"What do you want?"

He felt his lips quirk upwards slowly. He had been the type of person who could be easily amused. He swiftly enclosed the space between them in long strides. "Why Yelan, why so cold? I know it's been a long time and all-"

"Get your hand off me," Yelan said coolly, staring him in the eye defiantly with clear distain at his hand casually cupping her shoulder.

He burst out laughing, the audacity of that man! Yet, there was something cold and frightening that seemed to be forever frozen in his hard brown eyes, contrasting the warm pair in a gentle gaze which she once had held so dear. Not anymore, though, she never could again because of him.

"Oh, Yelan. I suppose with our past, you shouldn't mind but if you are going to be a prude then…" He continued in a dramatic air as he lifted his hand from her shoulder, and then proceeded to wave it in front of her face for the purpose of his show. "Pleased?"

He was replied with an unsettling blank stare. Sighing, he spoke with a bored manner. "You're still a cold bitch. I don't understand you after all this years."

Anger brimmed through her dark eyes and in her restrained tones. "This is not about our past relationship. Why. Are. You. Here?"

"You're mad aren't you? Angry? Furious? What happened to your everlasting calm? You were so self composed at the wedding," he continued to badger her, his tone strangely calm and conversational as he leaned forward. "I wonder if you did feel anything for me before, or even now."

The Leader of the Li's gaze was fierce as her head turned upwards to meet his. "You know how I feel about you ever since you murdered my husband in cold blood, you know that."

Abruptly, the ice in his eyes began to thaw and crack rapidly, dangerously as a winter river suddenly embracing spring. The edges of his mouth tightened as his body stilled, his eyes gleaming in cold fury.

"Shilong deserved it. He was an idiot, hard headed fool! I told him that things needed to change, but he was too brainwashed by duty and honour. My brother's death…" Yelan began to wince as his fingers found her shoulders and dug hard enough to bruise. "Is the result of all his own flaws."

His gaze was penetrating, deep, and she only continued to stare at him void of emotion, refusing to give him the satisfaction of seeing her tremble. She was Li Yelan, and there was no such thing as fear in her position.

"You are not much better, sister-in-law," he sneered. "Letting others decide your fate, especially into marriage with the brother of the man who loved you."

Her tones were still too cool for his wanting. "Zhifei, let go of me. Our past relationship isn't even of significance. You were able to find someone else-"

The chestnut coloured bangs fell forward over his eyes as he spoke darkly in quiet tones. "And you know how it ended."

Yelan did not reply, knowing that further conversation will lead to nowhere. A hand had discreetly slipped into her belt during Zhifei's ranting and she managed to get a hold of her weapon. Her silk fan snapped against his wrist in a swift motion, releasing the pressure from her shoulder, energy crackling. Li Zhifei gave a surprised scream of pain, as his other hand clutched around his burned wrist. Her brother-in-law glared at her furiously, heaving angrily. "Yelan! You little bitch!"

"I've already heard that from you," she spoke calmly, spreading her fan downward in one hand, as her legs spread apart into a stance.

As if the temperature dropped to below the freezing point, all emotions were deftly caged back into his cold eyes of frozen earth. His lips turned in an amused smile that would have been pleasant if it weren't from him.

"Oh, Yelan, I wasn't coming for a fight with you. It's too easy. I don't give a damn about the Li estates or finances either. If I wanted any, it would be well within my right to take with my blood." Then next words made Yelan's skin even whiter in her distinctive pallor. "Syaoran is coming of age, isn't he? I think I would like to meet my nephew, at least once. I'd have to see if he is actually qualified, unlike the last male predecessor. I think I'll challenge him, like I did with elder brother. Oh, and good day to you, Yelan. I'm afraid I must take my leave now. It's been nice to see you again. I'll buy you some crackers next time."

*****


Yelan's heir paced within the classroom, unsettled slightly at the missing presence of his tardy friend. He took every now and then to glance out the window in hopes of seeing the auburn haired girl.

The future head of the Li didn't know really what to think of her lately, after their mind opening conversation. It was nerve-wracking that she knew so much about him. Even Yamazaki didn't know half as much as she did, and he was what Syaoran considered to be his best friend. Yet, it was strangely warming to know she cared for him.

He found himself studying her more closely now. He didn't know why, but there was an even greater overwhelming need to watch her. See her happy and safe. Sometimes she would catch him watching her and gift him with a pleasant smile. He would jerk his head away (that is when he was able to) and camera girl would chuckle almost as she was the sole keeper of some obscure secret. He really hated it when Daidouji acted like that; it was incredibly annoying.

Of course, nothing would be more annoying than pretty boy. Pretty boy liked to watch that girl as well, in a strange intense sort of way. Syaoran grimaced. If anything, Syaoran had dibs first for observing Sakura's daily events, other than Daidouji's relentless camera. Personally, he thought, that girl perfectly did not need one more person obsessively watching her.

The Taoist froze at that last thought. Great, just great, he must be turning into some psychotic stalker. Really, why in the world would you want to watch a person so much otherwise? Well at least, pretty boy was in the same category, not that he wanted have anything related to the Englishman.

"Good morning, Li-kun!" Syaoran almost jumped, but his heart did he refused to allow his body to do. "Umm, why are you just standing there?"

He whirled around and watched that girl's slightly flushed face carefully. "Nothing." His eyes found the 'interesting' floor. "Good morning."

Sakura simply graced him with another of her easily given smiles. Her Chinese friend did not smile back, but his eyes softened slightly, and his perpetual frown became less obvious. She understood; with his life, it was difficult to share his feelings with others. It was enough that he smiled for her at that time. Sakura was overjoyed to know that she was one of the few, if not only, people to know Li-kun for what he really was underneath all his stoic behaviour.

Sakura made her way to her desk and laid her book bag on the surface. Suddenly, her head began to spin and pressed both hands against her desk for support.

Syaoran shot forth and pressed a cool hand against her heated forehead. He looked at her almost accusingly. "You're sick."

"I have a small fever. It's nothing too worry about," replied Sakura, smiling reassuringly despite her current state.

"Are you sure you're okay?" Warm concerned amber eyes peered into hers intensely.

"I'll be fine, just give me a few minutes, and I'll help you," Sakura continued to deny her feverish state, still giving him a faint smile.

Syaoran heaved a long sigh. "You rest. I'll do it."

Sakura shook her head wildly in protest. "B-but-"

Syaoran placed both hands on her shoulders and pushed her down into her seat. In an exasperated tone, he reprimanded her, "I said I would do it. Don't make me repeat it again."

Sakura laid her arms against her desk and crossed them to cradle her head. After scrutinizing her lax form in assurance that she wouldn't suddenly rise, his concerned eyes shifted.

Syaoran guessed he better start with the chalkboard. It was going to be a long morning.

*****


"Sakura-chan, are you really okay? Maybe we should have had lunch inside."

Sakura smiled at her best friend's concerned voice. "I will be okay. It's a nice day and I feel better with the warm soup I just drank. Don't be so worried. You remind me of Li-kun, this morning."

A-ha. Tomoyo smiled inwardly even though she was aware of Li-kun's not-so-discreet glances. "He was worried?"

"Yeah, and he made me sit down while he did everything by himself…" Sakura trailed off. "He's really nice, isn't he?"

Sounds like him to do something so severe. "Yes, he is." If only Sakura could figure out why. Li-kun is not that much better though in that aspect… Which reminds me…

Tomoyo shuffled through her book bag and pulled out three mobile phones. "It's mother's new company products. This way we can contact each other whenever something strange happens. I have one so I won't have to miss any of Sakura-chan's feats of glory! Ohohohoho!" She ignored the timid "T-tomoyo-chan." "One's for you, Kero-chan, and Li-kun." Suppressing a smile, she continued. "Could you give it to them?"

Sakura nodded, though slightly bewildered why Tomoyo-chan couldn't simply hand Li-kun the phone; they were in the same class after all. She wasn't to question Tomoyo's odd tendencies after all their years of friendship.

"Lunch is over soon, we better head back then," commented Tomoyo as the melodious bells signalling the end of lunch began to ring.

Sakura nodded, and they made their way pass the trees that surrounded the walkway, wind rustling their leaves. Sakura smiled to herself as she spotted Chiharu-chan and Yamazaki-kun cleaning up their picnic, after eating lunch alone together. Yamazaki-kun suavely grasped Chiharu's hand after they finished cleaning, making her head tilt upwards at him, her cheeks tinted pink.

Sakura almost jumped when she heard Tomoyo's conspiratorial voice. "We better hurry. We don't want to ruin their mood, right?"

Sakura giggled and fell into step with her insightful friend. "It's their anniversary, isn't it? I was wondering why lunch was just the two of us."

"It is, and Naoko-chan is helping out the librarian. Rika-chan is tutoring."

Sakura raised her fisted hand to lips thoughtfully. "Wait a minute. If Yamazaki-kun is eating lunch with Chiharu-chan, where's Li-kun?"

"What's wrong?" Tomoyo's head turned towards her in concern.

"I don't want him to eat lunch alone," Sakura replied anxiously, her head moving around as she searched for the Chinese boy.

Tomoyo raised an elegant eyebrow.

Sakura caught the look and quickly raised her hands, shaking them back and forth in denial weakly. "It's not what you think it is! Umm…" How was she supposed to explain without giving away Li-kun's privacy! "A-ah. Li-kun is just a friend. You know I like Yukito-san!" Sakura whined in despair.

Tomoyo sighed tiredly at the last statement. Still pining after Tsukishiro-sensei. Maybe it's still too soon. At least Li-kun is doing his best, well subconsciously that is…

*****


"Finally the end!" Sakura let out a gasp of air in relief. It was already tiring enough to sit through classes but the fever made it much worse. She wondered what they learned today; she couldn't remember much of it.

Sakura lurched out of her seat, and immediately a pair of strong hands clasped around her shoulders to steady her.

"Sakura-chan!" Tomoyo sprang out of her seat and pressed a hand against her Sakura's forehead as Syaoran watched from behind. "You're burning up!"

Rika, Naoko, and Chiharu peered at her worriedly. Takashi stood close to his girlfriend, just as concerned.

Rika spoke in the motherly fashion she had always possessed. "Sakura-chan, you shouldn't be at school like this."

Naoko nodded in agreement. "Go home immediately and get some rest." Spotting the empty desk behind Tomoyo, she paused thoughtfully. "Hiiragizawa-kun wasn't here for the whole day as well. I wonder if a bug is spreading through the school."

Takashi was on it before you could say fever. His finger rose in his usual explanatory gesture. "Speaking of sicknesses, in Wales, people-"

Chiharu began to grip his other hand a tad too tightly. "Not today, remember."

The free hand fell dejectedly. "Right."

Sakura smiled despite her weariness. "Don't worry everyone. I'll just skip the after school activities and go home now."

Tomoyo pressed her hands together anxiously. "Someone should go home with you. I have choir practice so-"

"I'll do it," spoke a solemn voice originating from behind the ill Sakura.

Sakura turned her head and breathed a few words of gratitude, forcing blood to creep up Syaoran's face. Too bad he had to take her home, or else he would have found it was the perfect time to ru- err… quickly hurry to his apartment to study.

If he thought it was a long morning, it was going to be a longer afternoon.

*****


"Thank you, Li-kun for taking me home." Sakura smiled brightly, firmly bundled in her fall jacket.

Syaoran stared at her for a moment, and then quickly looked away to the side. "It's nothing."

"Ah, Tomoyo-chan told me to give this to you. Wait a minute." Sakura began to dig furiously through her book bag. "I found it!"

Sakura handed a phone, to Syaoran's puzzlement. "Tomoyo-chan says we should be able to contact each other if something happens. The other day, you said that I could be in danger if I were alone. This way we won't have to worry, right?"

Sakura failed to notice the bright red hue that suddenly coloured Syaoran's face. "Ah."

She missed it spread further out on his face when she grabbed his hand and linked her pinky with his. "I'll promise to call, okay?"

Syaoran's head stooped down so his messy bangs covered his eyes in attempt to cover his flushing face. He mumbled, "Right."

Sakura spun away from him so she was walking beside him yet again. Syaoran took notice of how she wobbled slightly and her heavy breathing.

"You don't look so good."

"I'll be fine; it's a short walk." She suddenly had a great view of the sidewalk when her knees began to give away. Two strong arms encircled her waist and lifted her, resting her frame against his.

Sakura cocked her head to the side to look at him, her face weary. "Thank you, Li-kun."

Syaoran returned her gaze. "Do you want me to carry you?"

Such a thing would be incredibly embarrassing for the both of them. She instantly shook her head back and forth. "No. It's just a few more blocks."

Syaoran released her and gently set her back onto her two feet. After, Sakura regained her balanced they resumed their walk in pleasant silence. Sakura wasn't exactly in the state to form long lasting conversation. Syaoran's pupils persistently kept flicking to the corner of his eyes to observe the Card Mistress.

She might fall again. An arm tentatively rose. It won't look good for me. His eyebrows drew together. She really is sick though… Syaoran gritted his teeth. To hell with it!

Sakura began to rapidly blink at Syaoran's arm which was tightly wrapped around her waist. "L-li-kun?"

"This way, you won't collapse on the ground," he replied as stiffly as he could.

"O-oh," said Sakura uncertainly, and it was the only word she could manage at the moment. Syaoran's proximity was unsettling, despite being warm which soothed her cold body. The scent of him waved into her senses, and it made her more uncomfortable.

Sakura raised her head to study him and her breath caught. She had forgotten how handsome he was, through all the insanity of Card capturing, rivals, and the Final Judgement. His features were stern and proud as ever as he stared ahead unwaveringly. To her, he had always been hardworking Li-kun, kind and strong. He was her protector, her teacher, her friend that she strived to understand, and never really her rival, even in affections for Yukito-san.

It was then she had forgotten he was also a man.

Sakura felt increasingly nervous in her dizziness and her arms wrapped around herself in her agitation. It was slightly frightening, she realised as her hands gripped her jacket tighter. Maybe she was childish, but she didn't have much experience in this department. The only man that really consisted in her thoughts since she was in elementary school was onii-chan's best friend, false form of Yue, and to her Tsukishiro Yukito-san.

Syaoran's lean but muscular, masculine arm tightened around her. "You're shaking a bit. Are you cold? Do you want my jacket?"

Sakura froze, ducking her head so she wouldn't have to see his face. She managed to speak an answer. "N-no."

The descendent of Clow Read frowned. His head bent forward to examine her and his warm breath fanned in her face. "Are you sure?"

The timid girl nodded and squirmed slightly in his grasp.

Syaoran's grip immediately loosened. "Sorry, I didn't know I was holding you so tight. Next time just say something."

"I-I will." Sakura quickly changed the topic and spoke in hurried tones, "Look my house is just up ahead! You can go home now. I'll be fine. See you tomorrow."

Syaoran nodded slowly, and shoved his hands deep within his pockets of his jacket. He watched her fumble with her keys and then unlocked the door to stumble into her house. Then he turned around, walking in a deliberate pace as he wondered what did he do to cause her to react so strangely.

The brown haired man did not notice how humid the air seemed to be as he was alone in his troubled thoughts.

*****


Sakura mulled over the events that just occurred as she was snugly covered in a multitude of blankets. Her eyes began to drift close. She was tired, perhaps she could figure them out later. For now, she would welcome a dreamless sleep.

Meanwhile Cerberus perched close to his mistress. He shook his head slightly as he murmured to himself, "You weren't doing well. How reckless."

He was shaken, literally, out of his reverie when Sakura shot out of her bed.

"Ack! What are you doing?" cried Cerberus in a mouthful of blanket.

"Clow-san's aura," answered Sakura as she mechanically walked to her window, swinging it wide open. A large gush of air blew into her room, making her shiver slightly.

Cerberus stared out the window, and found he could not seem much beyond except for a grey haze. "This is-"

"This is not normal fog," said Sakura, her eyes half closed in her exhaustion.

Cerberus cried out furiously, annoyed that another phenomenon occurred while Sakura was in such a state, "Someone has made this with magic!"

"I'm going out."

Sakura immediately began to walk out of her room. Cerberus protested as one leg slipped through the doorway, "Oi, Sakura! You can't go out like this! You'll just get worse."

Sakura stubbornly continued to withdraw from her room, despite how Cerberus pulled her backwards in attempt to put an end to her foolish act. Sakura argued with him, "I can't leave things as they are. I'll do this and then I'll immediately go back to rest, okay?"

Cerberus let go off her pyjamas and drooped at his wilful friend. "Promise me, you'll be careful."

*****


Sakura ran down the street, towards where the Clow's aura appeared to be the strongest. She was dressed in a heavy coat-like costume that Tomoyo had made earlier for Sakura's Card capturing expeditions. The hood of the jacket that was pulled over head, made her appear to have a pair of large mouse ears.

Cerberus hovered near her concernedly. "Are you okay?"

Sakura replied with a simple "yes." In her state, she wasn't for conversation.

With Cerberus's words, she remembered the first person to ask her that question within the day. Then she remembered her second encounter with him during the day, and the recent discomfort she felt with him. I did promise to call him though…

With that thought in mind, she dug into the pockets that Tomoyo insightfully sewed into the costume. She punched in Syaoran's number albeit a tad nervously despite her weariness.

"I'm not here right now. Leave a message after the beep."An answering machine, she would have to set up her's later when she was in a better state to examine the phone.

Sakura let out a sigh of relief and spoke into the phone. "This is Sakura. I'm going to investigate the fog."

As Sakura neared what seemed to be the source, she found that she couldn't see anything.

Cerberus's voice called to her. "Sakura, the presence is coming mainly from the sky!"

"Right." Sakura took hold of her necklace and pulled out the key. With her hand's gripping the key, Sakura began to chant. "O Key that hides the power of the Stars, reveal thy true form to me. I, Sakura, by the contract command thee. Release!"

"Fly!" A pair of pink tinged wings formed on her back and unfurled, sending a few feathers flying. Sakura had transformed the Fly Card previously, praying for it to be used without the wand so she could use Sword as well to slice of some kind of enchantment embedded into the crown of the moving King Penguin. Strangely enough, the crown was repaired the next day as if nothing happened.

Sakura flew upwards, wings flapping as she moved out of the fog. Cerberus followed her closely as well, using her voice as a beacon.

"It really is Clow-san's," Sakura murmured as she flew into the heart of the fog. Her face became more flushed as she found herself colder. Suddenly her vision began to lurch, spinning in circles. Sakura felt ill, and light-headed, no longer focused on flying.

"Sakura!" She faintly heard Cerberus calling her, as she plummeted towards the ground.

"Wind descend!"

A sudden gust of wind encircled Sakura and gently lowered her on the roof top where the man who summoned it stood.

Syaoran's arms gripped the fallen Card Mistress. "Are you okay?"

Sakura said his name weakly.

The incensed Chinese boy shouted in her face. "Why aren't you at home sleeping!"

Fog began to heavily surround them, almost covering Sakura as Cerberus approached. "What happened?"

Syaoran swore when he looked at his hands with nothing more than mist threading in between his fingers.

She was gone. Whatever Sakura had to face, she would have to do it alone.

*****


Sakura found herself in the air again, stolen away by the fog. Her eyelids fluttered closed in her exhaustion, strained by using Fly.

I wonder why I feel Clow-san's presence. I have to do something with the fog, but what can I do?

A hauntingly familiar deep voice spoke, his words echoing within her mind. "When the wing flies, the fog will clear."

Sakura's eyes flew open immediately. "That was Clow-san's voice!"

Sakura ignored the strange occurrence for now. She had to deal with the more troublesome fog. Her hands slipped into her pockets and found the deck of enchanted cards. "When the wind blows?" She stared at the elemental Clow Card held in her grasp. "O Card created by Clow, discard thine old form and be reborn, under the name of Sakura, thy new Mistress. Windy!"

The star of her wand began to turn rapidly as power began to channel into the card, and the wind sprite emerged in a flurry, sending the surrounding mist scattering away. Then Windy dove into the centre of the mist and began spinning rapidly until it formed into a whirlwind, sending the air mass to break apart rapidly until there was no more.

"There!" Syaoran shouted as he found Sakura dropping through the recently clear sky, too far away for him to prevent her fall...

Underneath Sakura, Clow Read's magic circle continued to glow a searing red as Hiiragizawa Eriol stood in the centre, arms spread apart.

Sakura fell gently into his awaiting arms, one supporting her back, the other going underneath the back of her knees. In a hand, he held a staff of the sun eclipsing over the moon. The magic circle underneath him faded into a dull red, and then it was no more.

The culprit of Tomoeda's recent disasters looked sorrowfully at the unconscious girl he held in his arms. "You had a fever. Forgive me, I didn't know."

His hand swept over forehead, steam emitting her heated skin transferring to his hand. "Your fever will be alright now."

He gently lay her on the roof and Clow's reincarnation whispered softly to her sleeping form, "Please do your best, Sakura-san."

Eriol looked abruptly upwards to see a beautiful woman in a flowing white dress, and wavy grey hair staring down at the ill Card Mistress. The most stunning part of her appearance was the large white wings that adorned her back. His eyes widened slightly and then closed as he smiled. Kinomoto Nadeshiko smiled gently back at him, and disappeared to the higher place where her spirit rested.

*****


Syaoran ran to the where Sakura fell with an uneasy feeling in the pit of his stomach. What if she was severely injured by the fall? He found himself pumping his legs faster until he found her laying on the pavement, with a heavy black coat covering her unconscious body.

"Sakura!" yelled Cerberus in his agitation.

Clow Read's descendent knelt and lay Sakura against is body, one arm wrapping around her, another with the coat dangling from his hand.

"Who's is this?"

*****


Sakura awoke with the sound of a car pulling into her driveway. Still half asleep, she ignored it and closed her eyes again. If she was more awake, she might have wondered why she was back again on her comfortable bed, snuggly covered in her blankets. A thermometer idly lay at her nightstand.

It was a short while afterwards when she heard a knock on her door. Cerberus immediately became stiff on Sakura's bed.

"Come in," Sakura answered blearily.Wait, no one is supposed to be home except me...

The door opened and Sakura cried out in surprise. "Otou-san!"

"You seemed to be acting strange this morning, so I was worried and I decided to come home," said Fujitaka as he stood by her bedside. "What was wrong?"

"Sorry, I had a fever and I didn't want you miss the expedition," replied Sakura quietly. She quickly lifted in her mood as she continued. "The fever went down already, so it was alright!"

Fujitaka smiled at his beloved daughter. "Next time, tell me alright?"

"I will," answered Sakura, returning his smile.

"I'll make you some honey milk," her father said as he turned to leave her room.

Sakura smiled happily. "Thank you, otou-san!"

Fujitaka walked quietly down the stairs, not to disturb his daughter. When he reached his kitchen, he was reminded of a memory from long ago.

"Here's your honey milk."

"Ah! Thank you Fujitaka-san! Warm honey milk always makes me feel better when I'm sick! You put in the right amount of honey too. I'm so lucky to have you around!"

He paused when he poured the milk into the pan.

You always made me feel lucky, Nadeshiko-san.


Author's Altered World Notes:
And Care, presenting Zhifei, bearing all the hatred that is possessed in Yelan! He was originally hatched after wondering about what I wrote of Syaoran's suspicions of his father's death back in some back chapter. Writing psychotic Zhifei was too fun! It's my first time writing an original character… He may seem a bit clichéd at first but you'll see his character has yet to fully develop since there has been a little more than three pages with his nasty presence. He does actually play a significant part in the plot later…
The symbolism in the final lines of the last chapter is that Sakura is his reason to feel joy in the bleakness of his life. Smiling back further implicates that Sakura brings him happiness. I hope people caught that. ^_^' (Thanks to Ashley-chan from Mediaminer.org for making me point this out. Hence you see why a kiss is inappropriate for the mood, Ashley-chan.)
Eriol lays Sakura first on the rooftop to take off his jacket, and then leaves her where she was supposed to fall. (Just in case if you didn't catch that.)
Eriol does meet Nadeshiko in the manga, but at a later chapter which I'm not doing, so I had to move the scene.
To me Sakura's fear does make sense after Tomoyo's and Touya's overprotectiveness. Sakura is bewildered by her sudden awareness of the opp. gender.

Author's blabbering: Page: sleepdeprived.cjb.net
I really have to reread this fic someday, it's so long and I tend to forget things, not to mention I want to make a revised edition for previous chapters. And now, revs up for a little speech:
I find myself getting sentimental and missing many of my old reviewers before my big lapse in updates… sigh it is my fault. (Am I getting old or what?) They were very inspiring when I first began ficing CCS - Altered World, and kept me wanting to go on and improve. A lot of them have seemingly disappeared and I miss reading what they wrote. Well, if anything, I dedicate the recent batches of chapters to them. If any of you remember to check on Altered and read this, know that I'm incredibly grateful for reading and giving me a push when I needed it. To current and old readers, know this: you are what makes Christine smile and laugh after exhausting herself through typing madly for long spans of hours. To me, there is no greater reward in writing Altered than receiving your reviews and emails. So my deepest gratitude goes out to you all.

Responses to my dear Readers:
Anthony, glad you enjoyed it and welcome on the update list. ^_^
I love ur fic, lol!!! I would like say another word to you though; thanks. ^_^
Shadowed Angel, all CLAMP characters are multidimensional, and many authors have not noticed, or understood. I'm glad my view of Meiling appeals to you. Last chapter was almost emotionally draining to write at the time.
Nisha Athalwolf, all I can say I better type like mad then… I have much more chapters to go… ^_^''
Sailor Event Horizon, I think I get the gist of your review. *chuckle* ^_^
Saiera, wow I almost made you cry, I can say I succeeded in the scene then. I can't remember if writing the scene made me cry initially though. (It has been sitting for quite a while.) I think Unrequited Love (Chapter 13) made my eyes a bit wet, so did the Syaoran scene in the first part of Water is a Thing that Must Flow. (Chapter 15) I find my best scenes are when I heavily pour my emotion in. (Strangely, PMS is a good thing when writing… *coughs*)
Gwkitty, your enthusiasm amazes me. *kicks impassive lazy self*
Pokey, Ffnet has been going unstable for the past year, ne? Syaoran still needs some work, and hopefully by the end of this, I will resolve that. Wow, animation, I like visual arts, but I haven't taken a course since grade 9 and my skills are lacking. Lol. According to my brother, the majority of his computer science classes are scruffy looking due to the little time they have to themselves. (My brother actually had dinner once at four in the morning…) And don't worry about long babbly reviews, I like them, tending to babble on and on myself.
Maria 225 (from Mediaminer.org), I have a pretty good idea when Syaoran will tell Sakura his feelings… It'll take a while though. *evil plot hatches in head…*
Ashley-chan (from Mediaminer.org), I'm incredibly surprised that you gave me a perfect review!!! I really had to dig a well of emotion to put forth the last chapter… I'm really glad you enjoy reading this! I really appreciate reading your compliments. ^_^
Ice-cold, I wonder if that 'sigh' is a good sigh or a bad one? As in no more to read, touching scene, etc? ^_^''
Jade (Gemstone) * waves frantically back and pulls Jade from her kneeling position* ^_^'''' Kneeling is too much! "Even when the story is finished I will be cheering you on!!" Wow… I'm speechless… And I was surprised by your review + email… You have the right to feel special, because your reviews make me feel special! I'll be waiting for your reviews! *does Fruits Basket's psychic girl telepathy thing. I must be on adrenaline again!*
Missy-chan, wai! You're back too! Syaoran will get better being as stubborn as he is.
AnimeGrl, thanks for being my 30th reviewer on Mediaminer! I hope to keep up to your expectations.
Care! (And boy this is long…) It has been only recently I've revved my brain into gear. I meant senior year biology as in Ontario's crappy grade 13 (OAC, there's also a grade 11 that was the prerequisite course. The big thing I remember was dissecting a fetus pig.), in which you learn the joys of step by step energy production and structures of sugars, etc… (shudder) Computer Science is my major after discovering it was my call last year. I still want Waterloo, though Ryerson is fine. (My eye twitches a bit when my computer challenged friend with amazing math skills got into CS in Waterloo.) I guess my writing style has changed a bit though I can't really tell; my personality has made a few changes. (My humour has turned more cynical for one.) Fluff, err hard to say what influenced me. The scene just hatched out itself unnervingly during one of my brainstorm sessions. Sorry to make your teeth rot. ^_^' And the Second Movie is in the plan… I'm still in the process of sorting out the episodes... (Sometimes I realise I'm missing some important plot devices…) I understand your problems with 1+R, my friend doesn't really like 1+R fics unless they are AU since she sees that Heero doesn't have the capacity to be with Relena; their lives are too different. It's just that I rediscovered GW through fics and became fascinated by 1 & R's intriguing relationship. (When I first watched GW when I was 15 [by the end of this, you can see I was less mature than you claim to be], I admit I missed most of the significance of the plot, characters and opted to watch all the pretty explosions. -_-'. Now, I'd probably ogle Heero as well; look at all his muscles for his age!!!) Mainly Shounen ai isn't my cup of tea; it doesn't strike the romantic in me. (You can see it's hard for me to write Touya and Yukito.)
kimiko imouto-chan, I'm glad you like reading this fic.

Thanks to all for reading and reviewing!
And remember email: kinomoto_sakura@rogers.com for getting on the update list.