Card Captor Sakura Fan Fiction ❯ False Face, Hidden Heart ❯ Catch Me a Butterfly ( Chapter 8 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Cardcaptor Sakura in any way, shape or form. The only thing I own is this plot, and any reoccurrence of any part of this story in real life are all unintentional.

A/N: Yes I am fully aware that I haven't updated in ages, but I don't like where the way this story is written so I was taking some time to think. Sad to say this fic is drawing to an end soon *sighs* only a few more chapters.

Thank you so much to the following for reviewing: Katsu-Chan, Fuu, secretmirror180, Silverwing, KyteAura, yuri maxwell, animelover, chibisakura, Tomoyo-chan, Shima and Tempis, Son Sunami, Sakura Kuonji, Hele, crystal~heart, Psychi-kyugurl, SVZ, Megami no Hikari, Athar-Lunar, Litanya, Nadine, MistressofFate, Lttlwings, TreeLeaf, Joanni, Sally and Kaylie-chan!

False Face, Hidden Heart: Chapter Eight

It took Tomoyo three days to pick up the nerve to reapply for her job. Needless to say she regained it with little difficulty, but it took another week for her to actually feel confident enough to go in search of Eriol. After his encounter with the hot shower he had been moved to ICU. At present Tomoyo was standing in front of the swinging doors to the Intensive Care Unit biting her lip unconsciously whilst wonder if she really could walk in there and face Eriol. It was at this point in time that fate decided to pity the young nurse and give her a slight prod.

One Li Syaoran stood just behind Tomoyo scowling slightly. He was fate's pawn in today's case. He'd been standing there for the last twenty minutes waiting to see if she would walk in or run off again. He glanced at his watch, just as the waiting period was turning twenty-five minutes Syaoran lost patience and gave Tomoyo a small shove. She gasped and turned to him, surprised.

'Syaoran, I didn't know you were here!'

'…Tomoyo, I've been here for the last twenty-five minutes. You are going to see him right? You've been putting it off for ages.'

'I will! I will! But I just can't, I'm too nervous. The last time I took care of him he walked into a boiling shower, I don't feel qualified to look at him after that--'

'Tomoyo, I really doubt Eriol will have lost his looks just because of an over-heated shower.'

Tomoyo slapped the teasing Syaoran slightly. 'That's not what I meant! I meant that I feel guilty and--'

Syaoran started to pull her forcefully through the door with him, 'Yes, yes, I know how you feel. Look, I'll even come with you, no one said you had to face him on your own.'

'You will? Arigato[1]!'

'I never said that the reaction between me and Hiiragazawa would be good, we used to be…not-so-good-friends.'

Tomoyo was saved from having to answer by their arrival at the edge of Eriol's bed. She had been hoping against hope that he would be asleep, but the said boy in question was merely poking at dinner. At the sight of the nurse and rival, Eriol pushed his plate away and pushed up to sit more comfortably as he waited for them to start the conversation. True to what Syaoran had teased her about, Eriol didn't look majorly different and had by no means lost his looks.

'Ne, Hiiragazawa, you look to healthy to be in ICU.' Syaoran immediately jabbed.

In reply Eriol calmly shot back by saying, 'I am about to be moved back to my old room tomorrow. It seems they've changed my shower to a set degree though. They've also apparently confiscated any lighters and candle I may have in the room too.'

'Ah, wouldn't it just be easier to put you into a padded, white room?'

A laugh, 'No, apparently there's no spare rooms like that me.'

'How disappointed you must be Hiiragawa.'

'Indeed.'

Listening to Syaoran and Eriol banter like that so familiarly made Tomoyo feel distant. Like she had never taken the time to look at Eriol properly before, never seen how open he could be. Looking at the smiling boy in front of her laughing with his friend, she suddenly felt excluded and ignorant. It made her realise how unobservant she had been all this time. She was about to make up an excuse to leave and try to quell the bitter feeling of jealousy inside her chest when she was stopped by Eriol grabbing her wrist.

'Ne, Tomoyo, I'm so glad you came to visit me.' He offered a slightly shy smile, he had never done this before. Never been in love before…

Tomoyo flushed slightly and smiled sweetly back, 'I'm glad you're feel better Eriol.'

Syaoran, sensing it was his time to leave stood and quietly slipped out with an, 'Ahhh…I have to meet Sakura soon.'

Once he had left Tomoyo took his vacated seat as a tense, unsure silence filled the air. Eriol was edgy and had absolutely no idea what to say or do whilst Tomoyo, not wanting to push Eriol in anyway kept silent. This inevitably led to a stalemate of sorts. Oddly enough the silence soon became peaceful, it settled back into a more familiar quietness, like when they were still patient and nurse where they would sit just happy to have company.

Eventually the lights started to switch off and night was beginning to fall. Tomoyo glanced at the clock a little sad, though no words had been exchanged Eriol was good company. She stood, Eriol merely cocked his head slightly to show he was paying attention and watched her passively with an almost-black gaze. Tomoyo smiled,

'Your eyes look black in the dark.'

The azure eyes watching her blinked.

'Get well soon Eriol. I will be waiting for you ne? When you get out of hospital we can go to park.' She gave him a light kiss on the cheek. 'Goodnight.'

After he was sure she had left, Eriol smiled lightly before going to sleep. He understood. Tomoyo was too nervous to come to see him again, he would have to go to see her. To do that he had to get well and get out of hospital. When they went to the park he would catch her a butterfly.

~~~~~~~~~~

Another chapter done, I can't believe how long I put it off for. Well enjoy and I will see you next chapter!

[1] Arigato means Thank You, I'm sure even the most basic of Japanese-learning people know that one.