Card Captor Sakura Fan Fiction ❯ Heart's Treasures ❯ A Motherless Child ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Heart's Treasures: Prologue
By: Starlight Rose
Email: starlighto_rose@hotmail.com

Disclaimer: This story is based on the Grimm's fairytale, Thousand Furs, with several alterations made by me. The CCS characters in this story belong to Clamp.

A.N. After a long break from S+S because I was tired of all the S+S stories out there, I'm back with another S+S romance. This time I'm trying something new and writing an alternate universe story based on the fairytale of Thousand Furs. Yes there will be lots of angst and drama in this one as well as romance so don't worry. If I can I'll also put in a lot of action as well, but no magic or a very small amount of it. Do not expect a CCS story like An Unfinished Task. This is an original story based on the fairytale and using the CCS characters. This story is my idea and I do not want to see anyone taking any part of this story without my permission. Now since that's over with please read, enjoy, and review. This is only the prologue so it is short. The chapters will get longer as I get more into the story.

*****************************

An old woman leaned against a tree and sighed happily as she watched her grandchildren playing in a lush garden. Although she looked to be well past sixty her eyes still glowed brilliantly and her face held very few wrinkles. Her hair had turned white over the years, but it did not detract from her beauty in the slightest, instead it seemed to give her an ethereal quality. Her bearing was noble and her eyes held the wisdom of a life fully lived. She smiled indulgently as she saw her youngest grandchild, a little girl of around three, come running up to her.

The little girl ran up to her and hugged her impulsively. The old woman scooped the toddler up and situated her on her lap. The child looked at her with bright emerald eyes and pleaded with her in a sweet, gentle, childish voice, "Grandma, could you tell me a story. Please." The woman smiled at how the child's enthusiasm. The child reminded her strongly of another little girl she had known.

The child had such an earnest pleading look on her face that the woman couldn't help but chuckle slightly at the innocence she exuded. Her face broke into an obliging smile before asking the girl, "What story would you like to hear?"

The child beamed happily up at her before answering, "That story about the princess that had a coat made of a thousand furs. You know how she ran away to another country and met her prince there."

The grandmother looked at the little girl with mock surprise and said with wide-eyes, "But I've told you that story about a thousand times by now. Don't you ever get tired of hearing it?"

With a determined look in her eyes the child replied, "Never. That's my favoritest story in the whole world. And no one except for maybe my other grandma and my grandpas tells that story like you do grandma. I don't like it when other people tell it."

"Very well then, since it's your favoritest story in the whole world, I'll tell it to you again."

"Yay! Grandma's going to tell the story of the princess with a coat made of a thousand furs!" The child shouted gaily.

The girl's shout caught the attention of the other children playing. As soon as they heard what story was to be told they ran over to surround the old woman. With wide smiles on their faces they sat down and turned sets of smiling sparkling, blue, green, violet, black, and amber eyes on the woman. The woman's violet eyes smiled back at them before she began her story. "Once in a kingdom not too far from here lived a kind and gentle king. The king had a beautiful wife with beautiful long lavender hair and emerald green eyes. The king and the queen lived happily with each other for several years during which the queen gave birth to a handsome boy and a cute little girl.

"Unfortunately, the couple's happiness was not to last. Only a few years after the girl was born the queen who was never truly healthy fell sick and died. After the queen's death the whole kingdom mourned her for she was a beautiful, kind, and well loved queen. But no one mourned her as much as the king. The king was so distraught with grief that he never married again, but focused all his time and energy on protecting the kingdom and taking care of his two children."

*****************************

Princess Sakura Kinomoto looked around at the solemn faces of all the people surrounding her. She didn't understand what was going on. Everyone was dressed in black for some reason and they all looked sad. Sakura was scared. She wanted her mother to hold her and her father and older brother talk to her and comfort her. But she couldn't find her mother anywhere. It was the naiveté of a young three-year-old girl that she displayed when after searching among the crowds of people crying for some reason that she didn't understand, she found her older brother Touya Kinomoto, heir to the throne of the Flora kingdom, and asked him in an innocent and scared voice, "Where's momma? Why is everyone so sad?"

Touya Kinomoto looked at his younger sister sorrowfully not wanting to tell her the truth but not wanting to lie to the child either. He knew that his younger sister wouldn't understand why their beloved mother wasn't there with them anymore but he had to try and explain it to her. It was his duty as her brother to do so. He had to protect her and take care of her since their mother was no longer there to take care of her. The ten-year-old boy looked into his sister's frightened green eyes and said softly, "Momma is not here anymore. She died Sakura. If you need anything come to Poppa and me now."

Sakura's eyes started to water and she rubbed them furiously not wanting to cry. She didn't understand what her brother meant by her mother dying and not being there anymore, but she knew that it was something bad because her momma wasn't there and everyone was sad. "When is momma coming back?"

Touya sighed warily. He knew his sister would not understand the concept of dying. After all she was only three. He tried again. In a gentle voice he told her, "Momma was very sick. She was tired of this world so she went to another world. A very beautiful world. She is not coming back but one day we can go there too and find her."

"But I want to go to momma now! I miss her!" Sakura cried.

Touya hugged his sister tightly to him and murmured in her ear, "I know Sakura, but you can't follow her yet. You'll see her again, but it will be a long time from now. Until then I'll take care of you. I promise I'll take good care of you. I give you everything that momma might give you."

Sakura cried softly into her brother's shirt and said softly, "But you're not momma. I want momma." She continued crying until she spent herself out crying and fell asleep in her brother's arm. Eventually Sakura's father King Fujitaka Kinomoto found Touya sitting with Sakura cuddled on his lap sleeping soundly. Fujitaka looked sadly at his two children not knowing how to comfort them. He merely gave Touya a sympathetic hug allowing the boy that was trying to be strong for his sister and for their people to cry on his shoulders and behave like a young boy that had just lost his mother rather than a prince. After Touya had finished and pulled away Fujitaka scooped the sleeping Sakura into his arms and took her to her room and laid her down on her bed. Pulling up a chair next to the bed he sat watching over his youngest child.

As he watched Sakura he noticed that the child seemed to be having a dream. She tossed and turned and throwing her arms out she cried out in her sleep, "Momma! Don't leave me! Take me with you please! I'll be a good girl!"

Fujitaka heard his daughter crying out for her mother and for the first time that day he allowed himself to cry and grieve for his deceased wife. All day he had to be a strong king that comforted his subjects over the loss of their beloved queen, but now in the privacy of his daughter's bedroom he allowed himself to cry and let out his grief over his wife's death.

He sat there all night crying, but as the sun began to rise he promised himself and his wife that he would not cry anymore. He would continue to grieve for his wife, but he had more important things to do than dwell on the unchangeable past. He had his kingdom and his children to care for. So pushing his grief down he walked out of the set of double doors leading out to a balcony that overlooked the castle gardens and watched the sun rise over the horizon.

He stood there for he knew not how long when he felt a small soft hand slip itself into his large weathered one. He looked down to see his daughter Sakura staring up at him. He smiled down at her and Sakura smiled back up at her father and told him in her innocent voice, "Poppa, if you're ever sad about momma leaving then I'll hug you like Touya hugged me. I'll try my best to be a good girl so that I can see momma again. So Poppa you try to be good too and one day we can all see her again."

Fujitaka smiled at the little girl and nodded his head. He knew she was right. One day he would see his lovely wife again and so until then he had to be strong and be a good king and a good father. After all, his wife did always want everyone to be happy and went out of her way to try and make everyone happy. Looking at his daughter he saw much of his wife in her and knew that his wife would always be within his heart.

*****************************

A.N. What did you think of that as a start for my story? Yes, I'm back to writing S+S after a long break from it, but I'll warn you before you get excited that this story is in no way planned out at all and may take a long time to finish. I have no idea how many chapters there will be or how long it will take me to come out with each chapter. I have general idea of the plot, but that's it. Please tell me what you think.