Card Captor Sakura Fan Fiction ❯ Heart's Treasures ❯ Sweet Sixteen ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Heart's Treasures: Part 1
By: Starlight Rose
Email: starlighto_rose@hotmail.com

Disclaimer: CCS belongs to Clamp, Kodansha, etc. and the original fairytale of "Thousand Furs" belongs to the Grimms Brothers. This story and its concept belong to me however especially since I'm changing a good bit of the fairytale and adding a good bit to it.

A.N. I just though of something I didn't mention before. Yes this story is in some ways inspired by Robin McKinley's Deerskin, but it should be so different from Deerskin that you cannot see the similarities except for the fact that it is based on the same fairytale. If you want a good read, read any of McKinley's books. I think I'm done with my rambling now. BTW before anyone asks NO THIS IS NOT A SAKURA + ERIOL STORY. Enjoy and be sure to tell me what you think. Comments really help to stay a writer's block.

*****************************

"The two children grew up. The boy who was seven years older than the girl grew up to be a handsome young man with all the court women and princesses from other land vying for his attention. The girl grew up to be as pretty, gentle, and sweet as her mother had been. The people of the kingdom loved and spoiled the princess greatly because she reminded them so much of their dead queen and because they felt responsible for the young girl that had lost her mother at such an early age. But despite how everyone treated her, the princess never became spoiled but remained sweet as always.

"The brother and sister loved each other very much although they rarely ever showed it. The prince like most of the people in the kingdom loved his younger sister and watched over her constantly trying to protect her from everything and helped her however he could. Though he was known to be rather extreme at times in driving off his sister's would be suitors.

"They lived happily like that until the princess's sixteenth birthday came about. The kingdom was in chaos because of preparation for the princess's birthday celebration. Everyone was excited over the celebration because it meant that their darling princess was going to become a woman. All the king's subjects did everything in their powers to make the celebration a happy festive event that would forever be remembered."

*****************************

Princess Sakura Kinomoto fell back on her bed and sighed. She didn't see what the big fuss over her sixteenth birthday was. To her it was like any other birthday. Sakura would have preferred if it had been like any other birthday. She enjoyed spending her birthdays with only her close family and friends. The thought of the large birthday ball that was being held in her honor made her nervous. Sakura liked balls of course but she had certainly never been the guest of honor. The thought being at the center of attention made Sakura anxious.

Sakura had been used to just lurking about at the balls that were thrown. Usually she was required to attend the balls, but once she entered with her father and brother she was allowed to blend in with the crowd and just spend her time talking with her lady-in-waiting, cousin, and most importantly best friend, the Lady Tomoyo Daidouji. She rarely danced with anyone except for a few of the gentlemen that she had been friends with though several princes from other countries had been known to approach her for a dance occasionally. Unfortunately for those princes, the few occasions that Sakura had agreed to dance with them were usually interrupted by Touya coming and cutting in. Sakura did not mind it though. She enjoyed dancing with her brother and his best friend the Lord Yukito Tsukishiro. Sakura used to have a crush on Lord Tsukishiro, but she eventually grew out of her crush as she realized that the kindly lord only saw her as a younger sister.

Sakura sighed as she realized that she would not be allowed to disappear among the crowds for this particular ball. She couldn't choose to dance with only her close friends and her brother. Instead she would have to dance with every noblemen, prince, or king that requested her hand in dance. She also knew that everyone would be watching her closely trying to determine whom she liked most.

Sakura had heard rumors that this ball would help determine who the king was going to give her hand in marriage to. The worse thing was that Sakura knew that it wasn't just rumors. She had passed by her father's chambers this morning and heard her father and her brother discussing her future.

"She's too young to marry!" Sakura remembered her brother shouting at her father. Sakura had never remembered hearing her brother resort to shouting before or at least at their father. He usually didn't need to shout to get is point across since Fujitaka was very understanding.

"She is not too young to get married. She is turning sixteen today and as you well know Touya many of the young ladies of the court are already married and settled at her age." Fujitaka pointed out to his son.

"Married and miserable because their parents arranged their marriage!"

"I realize that!" Fujitaka yelled back apparently at the end of his patience with his son. Sakura was shocked to hear her father raising his voice. Her father had always been kind and soft-spoken, never raising is voice because everyone respected him and listened to him.

Sakura was considerably relieved though when she heard her father tone down his voice and apologize to her brother. "I'm sorry Touya. I should not have yelled at you. I am just tired over this whole affair. I know that most arranged marriages cause the children to be immensely unhappy, though there are exceptions, your mother and I being one of them. I do want Sakura to marry for love rather than politics, but time is running out for that. She still has not seemed to show a preference for any of the various noblemen, princes, and kings that have asked for her hand in marriage, though I might add that you threatening them is not helping the situation any. Yes, I know very well you are only trying to protect her, but Sakura is a young woman now and she needs a husband. If she does not show a preference for anyone tonight OTHER than you or Lord Tsukishiro then, I will be forced to engage her to Prince Eriol of the Magicka Kingdom."

"Prince Eriol! That brat? Why him?"

Fujitaka threw Touya a sharp look then, "You need to be more respectful towards our neighboring kingdom. One day you will be dealing with him for diplomatic reasons whether you like him or not. The Draconian Kingdom has been restless lately."

"What does the Draconian Kingdom have to do with Sakura marrying that eccentric brat?"

"I talked with the king and queen of the Magicka Kingdom and they think it would be a good idea to cement our alliance with a marriage seeing as how the Draconian Kingdom has always wanted our and the Magicka's Kingdom's lands. Prince Eriol has agreed to the match but on the condition that Sakura also agrees to it. I was going to bring up the subject with her tomorrow after tonight's festivities. Prince Eriol is a nice boy if somewhat eccentric and Sakura is at least friends with him. Over time friendship can develop into love."

"Or it can sour into indifference or even hatred."

"That is true, but do I have a choice?"

"I see the logic in that but could you not find some other way to cement our alliance with them? Or could you not wait a little longer and give her more time?" Touya pleaded with his father.

"There is no other method unless you want to marry Princess Nakuru." Touya shuddered at the thought of marrying the overly energetic Princess. The king continued, "I have given her all the time that I dare give her. Whether you realize it or not Touya, I am getting old. I do not need to worry about you because you are capable of taking care of yourself and our kingdom when I die, although I would not mind seeing you settled as well. But Sakura, as strong as she is, she is just a child that needs protecting. She has always had someone to watch over her and I would like her to always have someone to watch over her."

"I'll watch over her..." Sakura heard her brother reply before she decided to leave. She knew it was rude to eavesdrop like that but she hadn't intended to hear the conversation. She just wanted to visit her father, but she had heard the conversation and now she wished she hadn't. Sakura returned to her room and busied herself preparing for the upcoming ball, but she soon had nothing left to do.

At that point she had fallen back on her bed to think about everything. Sakura supposed that it wouldn't have been too bad to marry Prince Eriol. He was a very handsome young man and although as her brother and father pointed out slightly eccentric he was genuinely kind. She liked him enough as a friend and Sakura hoped that maybe her father would be right, that over time she would come to love him.

Sakura just wished that she did not have to marry him. She knew that if her father requested her to marry Eriol that she would for the sake of her kingdom if not for her father. It was also true that she had not shown affection for anyone that had requested her hand in marriage nor did she have anyone she particularly liked. So it wasn't as if she was giving up a chance at love by marrying Eriol. She was glad he was considerate enough of her to require that she agree to the marriage. She consoled herself by telling herself that she could come to love Eriol because he was so kind and gentle.

Sakura heard a soft tapping at her door and told the person to come in. A girl about her age with black hair that seemed to shine with purple tints and violet eyes poked her head into the room. Sakura saw the girl and called brightly, "Tomoyo! Oh you're just the person I wanted to talk to."

"What's the matter Sakura? Today is your birthday you should be happier. You should be outside playing in the garden like usual not shut up in your room." Tomoyo told her princess and best friend.

"I know but I don't feel like it." Sakura responded gloomily.

"Is it those rumors about you needing to find a husband soon?"

Sakura nodded sadly, "They aren't just rumors. If I don't find someone tonight Poppa will ask me to marry Eriol."

"Prince Eriol is a very nice young man. He cares about you though I do not know if he loves you, but over time maybe you two will come to love each other. Besides it is a good match for the two kingdoms." Tomoyo said wisely.

"I know, but..."

"But you want to marry someone you've fallen in love with?"

"Yes."

Tomoyo sighed sadly and walked over to the other girl. She stroked her hair gently and said, "I know, but sometime we cannot marry the ones we love. We can only hope to marry someone we might come to love and you are lucky that your father has chosen Prince Eriol rather than one of those other princes that would only care about your dowry."

"Tomoyo, have you ever fallen in love?"

"Yes, but I could never marry the person I love." Tomoyo answered quietly.

"Why not? You are a high-ranking noblewoman, I'm sure that no one could oppose your marriage to anyone. If you want I can help." Sakura answered cheerfully wanting to help her cousin.

"You cannot help me Sakura. The person I love does not love me back or not in that way and our marriage would never be accepted."

"I'm sorry to hear that Tomoyo, but I'm sure you'll find someone you care for just as much as that person who will love you back. You have to because you deserve it." Sakura told her friend hugging her.

Tomoyo smiled at the gentle young princess and told her, "Thank-you Sakura. But I am not here to talk about my social life. I need to help get you ready for the ball tonight."

Sakura groaned and asked, "Do I have to go? Couldn't you tell everyone that I was sick?"

Tomoyo laughed before answering, "You are the guest of honor tonight. I do not think you can get away with not going by saying you're sick. Besides I believe several of the servants along with your father and brother saw you been perfectly healthy and energetic this morning. You might as well make the best of it and try to find someone to fall in love with tonight."

"Easier said than done. What dress am I supposed to be wearing tonight? Is it something you made?"

"No it is not. It is one of the dresses your father had made for you for Winter Solstice last year. He wants to see you in it."

"That one? It will be so hot in it." Sakura complained, "But if Poppa wants to see me in it, I will oblige him. He really went through a lot of trouble getting that dress made for me and I suppose I should wear it at least once even if it is a bit too grand and not to mention hot."

"But it is a splendid dress though. I wish had thought to make you such a dress." Tomoyo told her regretfully. "Come here and I'll help you put it on."

"I'm glad you're here to help I don't think I could get into this monstrosity by myself." Sakura sighed allowing Tomoyo to assist her into first her petticoats then the green satin dress. Sakura stood still as a statue as her friend buttoned the dress up and made sure all the layers of chiffon were settled correctly without a fold or wrinkle anywhere they weren't supposed to be.

Tomoyo stood back to admire her friend then. The dress suited Sakura nicely she decided. The green of the dress matched Sakura's eyes perfectly and the tight-fitting bodice served to accentuate the young princess's graceful figure. The chiffon sleeves and layers that settled over the satin of the dress gave Sakura a willowy appearance making her look like a beautiful fairy.

"Oh you look absolutely beautiful Sakura! I can't wait until your father and brother see you like this!" Tomoyo exclaimed enthusiastically.

"Thank-you Tomoyo!" Sakura said giving her friend another hug. "Do you need any help getting into your dress?"

"No. Naoko has already agreed to help me. I wouldn't want you to get messed up while trying to help me dress. Now sit down so I can do your hair." Tomoyo said beckoning imperiously at the chair in front of the mirror.

Sakura sat down at the chair and the dark-haired girl stood over her brushing the long silken auburn tresses then gathering them up in a twist. She pinned the twist up with several emerald and silver pins but allowed several curly strands to escape out of the twist to frame Sakura's delicate face. When Tomoyo was done all Sakura could do was stare in awe at her reflection. She was surprised how adult she looked. Sakura turned around to face her friend and smiled appreciatively, "Thank-you for your help Tomoyo. I can't believe how adult you made me look, but you need to prepare yourself for the ball too. I'll come watch you get dressed. Would you to walk in there with me? I need some moral support and I would feel better having my best friend with me when I enter."

"Of course I'll enter with you Sakura. After all I am your lady-in-waiting. It is my duty and my pleasure to take care of you."

Giggling at her friend's answer Sakura grabbed Tomoyo's arm and dragged her to her room to prepare. There waiting for Tomoyo in her room was one of Tomoyo's lady-in-waiting Naoko. Naoko curtsied to the two higher-ranking girls before grinning impishly at them and asking them if she should start getting Tomoyo ready or the ball. Tomoyo agreed and Sakura watched as Naoko helped Tomoyo get dressed and prepared her hair for her. Once done the two girls thanked the servant girl and left the room.

Once they reached the great doors of the ballroom they found Prince Touya and Lord Yukito Tsukishiro waiting there. The two young men grinned at the young girls and Yukito offered his arm to Sakura explaining, "We thought it might be nice to escort you two lovely ladies to this momentous occasion."

Sakura smiled up at her former crush whom she suspected harbored feeling for her older brother and was fairly certain that said feelings were reciprocated and curtseyed elegantly to him before taking his proffered arm. Touya likewise offered his arm to Tomoyo who smiled sweetly up at the older man and gracefully accepted the arm offered her.

The two couples swept into the room and all eyes turned to look upon the evening's guest of honor. Sakura gulped nervously as she felt all the people's eyes boring into her. She hoped that she looked alright and lowered her eyes to avoid having to see the people staring at her. She felt Yukito squeeze her hand reassuringly and smiled her thanks up to him. Smiling down at her Yukito asked, "Are you ready?"

Nodding her head, Sakura allowed Yukito to lead her to her father's throne as people parted to allow Sakura, Touya, and their escorts to approach the throne. Once at the throne Sakura felt better instantly as she saw her father smile approvingly at her. He beckoned his two children to join him up on the dais and the two complied. Yukito and Tomoyo both moved towards either side of the throne to watch the proceedings quietly.

Fujitaka stood up to address his subjects and guests. "I welcome and thank everyone for coming to this joyous occasion. I am honored to have you here to celebrate my beloved daughter, Sakura's, sixteenth birthday with me. I encourage you to enjoy this festive occasion for it is a most momentous day for my daughter. Thank-you everyone for coming and thank-you to everyone that helped prepare tonight's festivities." Everyone applauded as the king sat down and the music began to play. Everyone stood watching the dais as Touya approached Sakura and grinned at her asking to partner her in a round of dancing. Sakura smiled gratefully up at her brother and allowed him to lead her to the dance floor. Soon Yukito followed escorting Tomoyo and soon everyone else joined the two couples in the dancing.

The night progressed on and Sakura found herself surprisingly enjoying the evening despite her earlier worries. Many young noblemen and royalty from other kingdom's requested the honor of escorting her in a round of dancing and as befitted her role, Sakura danced with all of them. She allowed herself to slip into a formal mode and chatted brightly with everyone that she danced with, but still she showed no preference for any of them. To her they were all seemed like very nice young men though a few tended top talk a little bit to much about how they might have ruled the country or about themselves more than she would have liked, but at the very least she wasn't required to say much to them. She looked about the room for any sign of Eriol wanting a chance to speak to him briefly about the arrangement, but she saw no sign of the dark-haired prince. She speculated privately at the fact that he wasn't attending her birthday celebration but quickly dismissed the thought from her mind.

Eventually it came time for Sakura to open the gifts given to her by everyone. Sakura carefully unwrapped and looked at each present being sure to admire it and thank the gift giver accordingly. Finally when all the presents were unwrapped and everyone was retiring to the banquet tables for the celebratory feast, Sakura's friends and family stepped forward to give her their gifts privately.

Sakura put his arm around Sakura as she began to get up from the chair she was sitting in to open the gifts. Smiling adoringly down at his daughter he handed her a small box. "Open it," Fujitaka said as Sakura looked at him questionably. Sakura opened the box and gasped in surprise upon seeing a tiny gold ring intricately etched with a rose design and a large emerald that matched Sakura's eyes perched upon it. "The ring belonged to your mother. I gave this to her to her soon after we were married to show my love and admiration for her. She wanted you to have it once you turned sixteen. It is her gift to you."

Sakura blinked tears from her eyes as she thought of her long deceased mother whom she had loved with all her heart, though she had only known briefly. "It's beautiful. Thank-you Momma." Sakura whispered to the air knowing in her heart that her mother could hear her.

Fujitaka looked sadly at his daughter that he knew with a pain in his heart had grown from the innocent child to a beautiful young woman. He smiled at her though when she turned to give him a hug. "I haven't given you my gift yet though. Here," Fujitaka said handing her another slightly larger box. Opening the box Sakura's eyes widened in shock at the object before her. It was a gold necklace that matched the ring perfectly. The chain was of thinly hammered gold. A teardrop-shaped emerald nestled in a pendant hung suspended from the finely worked gold chain.

"This necklace...it's the emerald tear. Isn't it?" Sakura asked turning to her father. He nodded his head gently to answer her question. "But...but...this is a family heirloom. I can't accept this as a birthday present. It's too precious." Sakura told her father.

Fujitaka kissed his daughter's forehead and replied, "It is a family heirloom because it has been passed down from each generation. It is time I passed it down to you. Besides," He said taking on a playful tone, "It'll look much nicer on you than on me. It has been sitting collecting dust in the vault for many years now. It is time it served it's original purpose; to adorn the neck of a beautiful young lady."

"Thank-you Poppa." Sakura told her father.

"Here." Touya said gruffly handing Sakura another small box.

Sakura opened the box and her mouth turned up into a bright smile as she threw herself at her older brother and kissed him on the cheek. "This is beautiful! I love it!" she cried as she drew back away from him. "Where did you find something like this?"

Seeing the curious looks on everyone's faces Sakura pulled the gift out of its box. It was tiny bracelet made out of white gold. Instead of having little links it had a chain of cherry blossoms each different and beautiful in it's own way. Seeing the embarrassed look on Touya's face as everyone looked at the bracelet with admiration Sakura asked her brother to help put the bracelet on. He complied smiling tenderly down upon her head when he thought no one was looking. "There. Don't lose it like you do everything else. I had to get that thing specially made so it is one of a kind."

Sakura stuck her tongue out at him but them smiled and gave him another hug. Sakura finally released her brother and turned around to find Yukito, smiling down at her. He handed her three tiny jewel encrusted gold boxes in the shape of cherry blossoms. Sakura looked at the boxes in awe before looking questioningly at her former crush. He just smiled gently and nodded his head. She opened the boxes slowly and carefully to reveal several types of herbs.

Everyone around Sakura looked at the gift and sweatdropped as Yukito explained, "These are rare herbs that I grow in my garden. They are really delicious when they are put in many things especially soups."

Sakura stifled a giggle at Yukito's choice of gifts, but understood the love behind it. Yukito was notorious for two things, his love of eating and food in general and his love of gardening. For him to give her herbs from his garden that he worked so hard and lovingly to cultivate was a true gift from the heart as true in intent as the other gifts she had received that night.

Gently closing the boxes with the precious herbs Sakura smiled at him and stood on tiptoes to give him a peck on the cheeks. Yukito smiled down at the girl that he considered like a younger sister to him since he was an only child and patted her head like he did when she was a toddler though as he looked at her he could understand his friend Touya's distress. Sakura had indeed grown up and grown up beautifully at that.

Tomoyo then held out three beautifully wrapped boxes to Sakura. Smiling encouragingly at her best friend Tomoyo prompted her to open her gifts. Sakura carefully pulled open the wrapping being careful to not hurt the paper that Tomoyo has probably made especially for her. Opening the fist box Sakura gasped in delight. She held up a dress that she knew that Tomoyo had probably made herself and had done a better job than all the seamstresses in the kingdom could have done. It was made out of midnight blue satin with a layer of dark shimmering muslin over the bodice and the full skirt. Embroidered all over the dress was silver moons of several sizes. The moons seemed to give off their own light giving the dress its own ethereal light. Carefully opening up the next box Sakura found a dress made out of several layers of light blue silk each layer becoming lighter in color by just a shade. Embroidered on the dress were golden suns that gave the dress the radiance of the sun. Finally opening the final box Sakura found a simple black satin dress that in its simplistic way outshone even the other two. Tiny embroidered silver stars and diamonds twinkled from the dress's folds giving the dress the appearance of the starry night sky on a moonless night.

Knowing how much love and effort the dark haired girl must have put into creating those dresses, Sakura hugged and thanked the girl with tears shining in her bright green eyes. Tomoyo drew back from Sakura and said, "I'm glad you liked them. I made them especially for you and if you are happy then I am happy."

"I am very happy." Sakura replied smiling through her tears of joy at the love her family and friends showed her.

"There is one last gift for you Sakura. Prince Eriol asked me to give this to you for him since he has urgent business within his kingdom to take care of." Fujitaka said handing a large box to Sakura.

Sakura opened the box and stared down at the present with a mixture of confusion and awe. Inside the box was a coat that seemed to be made out of a multitude of different furs. "What is this?" Sakura asked looking up at Fujitaka for clarification as to exactly what she was looking at.

"That is a special coat that Prince Eriol had made for you. He said that you would need it when you visit his kingdom for Winter Solstice like you promised you would because the Magicka Kingdom tends to get rather cold in the winter. It is made out of a thousand different furs. He said he asked all the animals in his kingdom to donate a bit of their fur as a gift to a very sweet and beautiful young lady."

Everyone sweatdropped at Fujitaka's words. They all knew of Prince Eriol's eccentric nature so none of them commented on the fact that Prince Eriol had been implying that he could talk to animals and that they could understand him, not to mention the unusual nature of the gift. Sakura smiled anyway knowing that despite the oddness of the gift, it came from the heart. "I'll thank Eriol for the gift when I see him again." Sakura told her father.

"Okay now that you have your gifts can we go to the banquet now?" Touya asked glaring at the coat as if it was the gift giver.

"Yes, let's go to the banquet now. I am getting rather hungry." Yukito intoned lightly.

Everyone sweatdropped at that knowing quite well Yukito's appetite as Touya asked, "I thought you just ate a little over an hour ago."

"I did but..." Yukito started when a soldier came running into the room. Spotting the royal family et al standing there the soldier dropped down onto one knee and announced breathlessly, "I'm sorry to interrupt this happy occasion, Your Majesty, but the kingdom is under attack!"