Card Captor Sakura Fan Fiction ❯ Rite of Passage ❯ By the Root of the Tree ( Chapter 3 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Card Captor Sakura Fanfiction
February 3, 2001
Disclaimer: Card Captor Sakura and all its characters are owned by CLAMP, Kodansha, Mixx. No money made, all for fun.

Rite of Passage
Chapter
Three: By the Root of the Tree
By Ina-chan

"/Rai tei sho rai (God of Thunder, I summon you to come)
Kyuu kyuu nyo ritsu ryou (High and dangerous I control by ancient command)
Rai geki!! (Thunder strike!!)/"

With a load roar, the God of Thunder threw bolts of electricity in all its wrath to its intended target. Its electrifying aura slowly faded as the smell of burnt vegetation started to overpower my senses.

"Impressive as always, Xiao-lang-sama*" Wei's soft-spoken voice filtered through the moment's silence

"Too bad your target is a mile away," Followed Huang-yun's usual sarcasm, "Power is nothing if you can't hit anything with it."

"Why you..."

"Come now, Xiao-hai," My sister continued as she nonchalantly twirled a makeshift of a wooden staff on her hand, "Are you ready to let your Ra-jie kick your ass?"

"You wish," I muttered under my breath as I instinctively tightened my grip on my sword's hilt

<SLASH><TSUCK>

"What was that Xiao-hai? I saw that coming since last week!"

"Shut up!"

<SWOOSH><THAP>

"Aw, c'mon! A sword against a twig! I'm giving you this match already"

"GRRRRRR!"

<SWISH><SWOOSH><SLASH>

"You sure you're not just swatting flies?"

"I... hate... you..."

<SWISH><TSACK>

"Awww... is the poor baby gonna cry again?"

"AAAAARGH!!!"

Wei sighed as he watched the hopeless sparring match. He finally clapped his hands to stop it, not even attempting to mask the exasperation seeping through his aura of patience. "Xiao-lang-sama."

I could only flinch involuntary. My uncle Wei was normally a kind soft-spoken man... until it comes to training. I already knew what he was going to say.

"I've already told you many times," His stern tone rang clearly across the garden, "Never let your emotions motivate your battles. Huang-yun-sama is using intimidation into manipulating you to drop your guard."

"I know," I replied through clenched teeth, trying to catch my breath

"Then why do you fall for it every single time?" Huang-yun retorted in a short distance as she flashed big sardonic smile. She made a show of running her fingers through her neatly braided locks, "Look. Didn't even break a sweat."

I felt the pressure of Wei's hand gently clamp onto my shoulder, "Once your opponent intimidates you... you've already lost the battle before it's begun."

***

<scritch><scritch><scritch><scritch><scritch>

The sound of chalk scraping against the clean blackboad was unusually loud despite the hushed whispers in the room.

"This is Ri Shaoran-kun, from Hong Kong. Everyone, give him a friendly welcome."

I almost flinched at the pronunciation of my name. Almost. Old Grandmother would have put a curse anyone who would disrespect the family name. However, a warrior loosing one's honourable composure in public was a greater sin in Old Grandmother's eyes. So I focus my concentration on you.

You...

...my reason for being here. Now, closer... That familiar aura was indeed around you. The aura that triggers the inexplicable tightening of my chest, the heightening of my senses, and leaves that strong metallic taste in my mouth.

"Now for your seat... Behind Kinomoto is good. There's an empty seat there."

Kinomoto*. So that is your name. A name conotating strength and foundation. But in front of me is... a tiny timid mouse of a girl. You are nothing like your name at all. I'm starting to get annoyed.

"You're seat is over there," The dark haired girl beside you points to the empty desk behind you, "You can put your hat and your coat in a locker at the back."

I take my seat and watch you. Somehow, sitting behind you annoys me even more. The stiff and cautious way you move annoys me. The way you sit at the edge of your seat, pressing closely to your desk annoys me. The way you try to hide behind your book annoys me.

"Ja, that's all for today!"

The way you try to slink unnoticed from your desk annoys me, "Wait."

"h-hoe..."

THAT NERVOUS NOISE YOU MAKE ANNOYS ME! You are the chosen candidate? I am not impressed. I am not impressed at all.

***

"Do you know why you always fall flat on your face when you spar with me, Xiao-hai?" Huang-yun asked as she casually measured me with that infernal branch slung on her shoulder

"Because you like picking on smaller sparring partners," I retorted huffily as I matched her pace, "And you fight dirty."

"Wrong," Huang-yun laughed, "Because YOU fight by the book too seriously. Textbook strategy after textbook strategy."

"Well, you don't take our matches seriously at all!" I shouted back before charging with all my strength

I didn't even see her move. The next thing I knew, I was flat on my back, the wind knocked out of me, and the end of her weapon hovering dangerously over my throat, "If I was a Clow Card, you would have been skewered."

I could only hold back tears of frustration as Wei helped me on my feet, "That wasn't fair."

"I'm afraid your sister is correct, Xiao-lang-sama," Wei replied solemnly, "A real battle with Clow Cards is not an honourable duel. It is a fight for survival. Your opponent will try every means possible against defeat. Counterattacks may come in unconventional methods, and you must be prepared to face them."

Unconventional counterattacks, huh? If that's what you want, that's what I'll do. I won't loose. I tightened my grip on my sword and took another stance. I defintely will NOT loose!

***

Now I'm angry.

How is it possible? And why? How can someone who has no knowledge whatsoever about the Clow Cards be a chosen candidate? How can someone who can barely defend herself be expected to defend the world from impending disaster? Apart from the Clow Card's aura, I sense no significant magical power of your own. Why would Cerberus chose you? You have no knowlege. You have no training. You have no Magic. And...

"You're not related! I'll look for the rest. Now, give them to me!"

"NOOO!"

"Sakura-chan!"

What a joke. If I'm not so furious, I would have laughed out loud at the sight of you. Close to tears, clutching your pocket protectively. It's too easy. Da-jie would have been upset with me. Bullying a helpless girl. But the only thing running through my mind at the moment were memories of my studies... my training... all that hard work. There is no way I'll stand aside and let an unqualified person like you take over. The only thing you'll accomplish is get yourself killed.

I won't loose! I definitely will not loose! Most specially to a person like you!

***

"Since there is obviously no way you can defeat me, I'll make it easier for you then," Huang-yun sighed, "If you can disarm me, then I'll give you the match."

Why you... So that's how you want to play it, huh? I'm going to wipe that smug grin from your face. I can fight your way as well. I'll knock down your twig AND kick your ass!

"Xiao-lang-sama, what are you doing?"

"/KA TEI RYU SHO RAI!/ (Dragon Lord of Fire, I summon you to come!)*"

The air thickened from the heat of the dragon's breath. Suddenly, I felt it. The tightening of my chest... the heat was suddenly unbearable... the roar of the dragon's breath deafening... the light of the fire blinding... a strong metallic taste in my mouth... the look of fear frozen in Wei's eyes... Ra-jie running toward me through the raging inferno...

"XIAO-LANG!!!!"

***

All of the sudden, I feel a tight tug around my collar and my feet quickly find themselves dangling up high from the ground. Like a rag doll, I could only face a pair of very angry looking eyes...

"...Temeee*," The man growled, "What do you think you're doing to my sister."

"Onichan!"

Hmphf. You really are pathetic. You can't even fight your own battles. Nevertheless, your knight in shining armour is a formidable opponent. He blocked my sudden attack effortlessly, and greeted my challenge with perfect form. Black belt, 1st dan. Or at least at that level.

"...teme."

Unconventional counterattacks, eh? Looks like all that training is finally going to be put into a test.

"I've got butamaaaaan*!"

Eh?

"Look! I got butaman. And pizaman* and kariman*. I have enough for everyone! Eh? Isn't anyone going to eat?"

I can on only stare, frozen at the spot, at this strange new-comer, as he distributed his gifts. For some strange reason, it suddenly became very difficult to breathe and the hammering of my heart in my chest didn't make it any less easier. The light around his face seems oddly brighter as he turns to me and smiles. Is this some kind of trick?

"Here. Butaman."

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

***

Hot... so hot... can't breathe... too bright... head hurts...

"AH! He's waking up! Hahaue! Hahaue!"

The blurry room shifted into clarity for me to see Si-jie's tear-streaked face hovering over me. I could only wince inwardly and brace my ears as I waited for the inevitable siren that follows the watery eyes and the trembling chin.

"UUUUHAAAAAAAAH! I'M SO RELIEVED!"

"Fei-mei, where are the ice chips I asked you to prepare?" my mother's voice broke through her wailing

I automatically tried to sit up upon hearing her voice, only to collapse back in bed.

"Aiyaaa! Aren't you a stubborn one!" Fu-die scolded me as she gently held me down as I attempted to struggle with my unwilling body, "You were out cold, burning with fever for almost two days. What you did was really stupid. You know that it takes twice the energy to summon fire attacks. And to summon one as big as a..."

"Fu-die, we can take turns lecturing our stupid brother later," Xue-hua interrupted firmly, "Why don't you help me and Fei-mei in the kitchen."

Fei-mei ungracefully wiped the tears with the back of her hand before following her younger sister out of the room. Xue-hua stopped at the doorway and swept one lingering look at me and our mother, "Don't scare us like that, Didi."

"I'm sorry."

As I watched my eldest sister leave, it was only then I realized that an important aspect of the puzzle was missing. I sat up with fear and scanned desperately around the room, "Ra-jie!"

"I'm over here," My second-elder sister replied from outside the doorway. She walked into the room and gave me a cocky grin, "I have to say, that was one of your best matches. I'm going to have to make sure that I don't get you too angry next time."

"Ra-jie..." My heart almost stopped as her image registered in my head. Her eyes were red and puffy like my other sisters. By the way she moved, I was sure she was hiding something underneath her long sleeves. But there was one injury she couldn't hide, "... Ra-jie... your hair."

"This?" She shrugged as her hand went up to her newly cropped bob, "I've been wanting to cut it for a long time anyway."

I bowed my head, fighting the flood behind my eyes, "I'm sorry."

Huang-yun let out an exasperated sigh, "Geez! This is exactly what I mean. You're all talk during a fight, and at the end, you cry like a baby!" She crossed her arms and gave me a stern look, "Oi, Xiao-hai! If you really want to make it up to me, work on your target practice. What's the use of frying your opponent if you end up getting fried yourself?"

"Hai," I wiped the droplets of water that escaped from my eyes with the back of my hand.

"BAI-CHI!" Huang-yun scoffed affectionately before walking out of the room, leaving me alone to face my punishment.

The silence in the room was unbearable. No punishment in the world can compare to the deafening silence of my mother's disappointment. I don't know how long we sat there. But it felt like an eternity.

"I'm sorry," I finally spoke

"Xiao-lang," Her voice has always caught me off-guard. Even when I expect her to speak. There was something in her soft-spoken tone that paralyzes me, "I want you to think back when you summoned the fire spell."

"I... I shouldn't have used a fire spell as an attack spell." I stammered, "I... I should have known better on how dangerous it was."

"Xiao-lang, take a deep breath and calm your thoughts," my mother said again as she gently cupped my face to force me to look into her eyes, "I want you to think back when you summoned the fire spell."

Whatever it was, I could from her eyes that it was very important. I closed my eyes, took a deep cleansing breath, and tried to place myself back in that moment in time. Feeling the dragon's breath...

"What distracted you after you summoned your fire spell attack."

"I don't know..."

"Think hard Xiao-lang."

The dragon lord's breath... its heat... its roar... its brightness... and something... something I couldn't explain. There was something very strong... and I felt the vibrations from its quake from deep within my soul. And it... frightened me. All I could do was shudder as an involuntary chill ran through my body.

"My poor baby boy," my mother whispered as she drew me close within her arms. "It will be all right. I promise. It will be all right."

This was the reason why my mother was head of the Li Clan. Her magic has always been very potent. The protection of her arms more powerful than any magic circle. Her words, when uttered, become undeniable truth. So I let all my fears evaporate from my body, relaxed within her comforting warmth, and let darkness claim my consciousness once more.

"...Wei... I... shrine... sure... not distur..."

End of Part 3
Continued on Part 4: Insanity, a Red Plum, and a Snow Bunny
Return to Part 2: Pink Snow

Ina-chan's Squawk:

Okay... some notes...

*-sama: Japanese suffix indicating very high status of the one referred to. I decided to keep it because I can't find an appropriate Chinese suffix that has an equal conotation (without going to the "your highness" thing which was a bit extreme ^_^.) Any Chinese speaking readers out there? Your help will be appreciated! ^_^.

*Kinomoto - If you haven't figured it out yet, the Kanji combination for Kinomoto means something like "Origin of the tree" or more literally speaking "Root of the tree".

*I made this one up. ^_^. Yeah, yeah. Syaoran's magic is governed by the "moon", therefore he can't use elements governed by the sun (i.e. Fire and Earth). At least that's how I see it, since he has never used any Fire or Earth attack spells in the manga (though he could use fire spells). As far as elemental spells go, he mostly used lighting and wind (and water once)... all three governed by the moon. BUT since he can use fire spells, I just thought this would also be an interesting idea to why he never used them as attack spells in the manga. ^_^.

*"Teme" is an annoyed expletive that's somewhat synonymous to "Why you little..."

*butaman - I'm assuming that its a type of nikuman. Its a steamed bun with a pork filling ("buta" meaning pork).

*pizaman - steamed bun with pizza filling? ^_^.

*kariman - steamed bun with curry filling

As usual, reviews, comments and criticisms will be very much appreciated. Please don't hesitate to review my fics on http://www.fanfiction.net. The genre is under Anime-CCS-Drama. I would love some constructive criticisms for the improvement of this series. ^_^. I'm also open for private mail CCS discussion. You can reach me via ina_chan@yahoo.com!

Ja!
Ina-chan

Main | Anime | Manga | Characters | Fanfics | Fanarts | Miscellaneous

Home| JQ | More Anime & Manga | The Ego Page | Contact Me