Card Captor Sakura Fan Fiction ❯ Set Me Free ❯ Crashed and Burnt ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Set Me Free

By SpringphireZ 30 / 4 / 02

Disclaimer: You've got to be kidding! I wish I owned Card Captor Sakura and all its characters, but sadly enough I don't. If you'd be so kind as to leave your e-mail address in one of your reviews *hint hint* I won't hesitate on telling you when I do own CCS!

Rating for occasional foul language: PG-13

Summary: Nah, I won't bother. If you want to read the summary go back to the first chapter or something. I certainly ain't wasting my time re-writing the summary all over again!

Author's Notes: Hiya guys! I thank you for all your support on my fic and hope you'll like this chapter just as much as I liked writing it!

Chapter One: Crashed and Burnt

Takashi Yamazaki shuffled his feet nervously, quailing under the impatient gaze of none other than Li Syaoran, who didn't look too pleased with the bumbling Senior Officer at the given time. "Well?" he demanded, cocking an exasperated eyebrow in Takashi's direction. Yamazaki cleared his throat, knowing full well that the noble's current mood would certainly rise a few more notches on the Richter scale in less than a few minutes, once he was made aware of what had happened. "Well…" he began, edging forward carefully. "We managed to wound the two of them a great deal, but…"

"But?" Syaoran prompted, noticing the way the Senior Officer's eyes darted back and forth to the nearest exit.

Yamazaki cleared his throat. "Umm…but they both managed to escape."

"WHAT?!" Just as the Senior Officer had predicted, Li Syaoran's calm vanished in less than a nanosecond and he shot out of his chair in mid-glare, keeping Takashi rooted to the spot who was ever anxious to please one of the most important and high-ranking men in Tomoeda. He held up a finger to prevent Syaoran from interrupting. "However," he continued in a rush. "Only one managed to make it back to the coven. The other one landed not far from here and I've sent various search parties for a bit of a witch-hunting." He expected the amber-eyed noble to regard him with approval; even with one word of praise. None came.

"I suggest," Syaoran began through gritted teeth as he sat himself back down at the head of the table, "that you find the witch as soon as possible, and burn her at the stake." Yamazaki gulped and nodded fervently, tugging at the collar of his shirt as beads of perspiration appeared upon his forehead. "Yes, sir," he managed to squeak out as he left the conference room in a great rush. "And don't mess up this time," Syaoran added with a menacing tone. "Consequences are vital, you know…"

Eriol rose from his seat upon Takashi Yamazaki's retreat, (AN: hey, that rhymes!) his brow creased in worry. "Do you really think it wise to burn the witch? It is an inconvenience to us if the entire coven learns of it - they're known for their loyalty regarding their sisters…" he murmured. Syaoran scowled at the fellow noble, his expression irate. "No," he growled. "I also think it wise to burn you along with her, if you don't shut your mouth soon."

The boy kept quiet. He didn't need to question Syaoran's threat. Eriol knew Li Syaoran was true to his word; promises or threats, he certainly never failed to do as he said…

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

C'mon Sakura, you have to get up now before anybody finds you. Too bad I wasn't that great at following my own advice. I groaned feeling the piercing sensation of the cold, metal bullet wounding my shoulder as I stared blankly at my surroundings - lush, abundant flora among tall, thick trunks that towered overhead into an endless rise. The verdant blades of grass tickled my swollen cheek from where my broom had struck, at some point during that round-about whirlwind. I didn't want to move a single broken bone in my weary body. Heck, I couldn't move a single broken bone in my weary body. I inwardly cursed myself for being so foolish as to venture into enemy territory and endangering not only my life, but my best friend's as well - I just hoped that Tomoyo had managed to make it safely back to Mother.

I remembered vividly the moment that I'd lost complete control of my broom and had gone flying through a thick tangle of underbrush before the throbbing pain had won the fierce battle, and everything had gone entirely silent as I was carried away, like a feather drifting peacefully by the gentle wind. The eerie silence frightened me to no end, especially since the sun's fiery head was just a peep away from disappearing into the approaching night, and the prospect of staying alone in this wild jungle of trees wasn't exactly a comforting thought to me. Over the centuries the Witches had made an alarming amount of enemies - most of which were capable of taking on a wounded, defenseless third-class apprentice witch. Apparently, the coven didn't believe in building alliances and friendships. A whirlpool of mingling colours danced before my eyes as my vision grew blurrier and fuzzier, focusing and un-focusing at its own pace as a pulsating throb began at the base of my neck from my shoulder blade, and gradually worked its way up toward my forehead hammering away at my skull mercilessly. I shut my eyes against the ache, willing it to go away, my untidy hair sprawled out across the stretch of grass, my fingertips brushing the earth lightly. I could feel myself…drifting off into a much-needed sleep…just to close my eyes and drift off…

"She's here somewhere! "

I lifted my head groggily, hearing the voice loud and clear, and panic filled my heart. Anytime soon, somebody could chance upon my form, sprawled across the grass - an easy target for even the inexperienced of people who were out to get my blood. If I didn't act quickly things could get pretty nasty - nasty for me, that is. I had to get up - I just had to. I grunted, propping myself up off the ground as best I could, leaning against a nearby tree to support my weight while I tired to catch my breath. I could feel the ground vibrating under my feet and I knew the mob must be getting closer - I had to move, now. Stumbling my way past various trees and plants, I tired to lose them as I wandered aimlessly through the maze that seemed to have no end. I just wanted to collapse and rest my exhausted body, but I staggered on, all the same, glancing behind me every few seconds to ensure I was safe. Still, I could hear voices as loud and clear as a piercing whistle and I knew they still must be not far back. The smell of burning caught my nostrils, and I was made aware of the fact that once they caught me, they wouldn't hesitate to burn me alive. Like the midnight-black cats and the capes, witch-burning was more than just popular fairytale. I could die at the very hands of a mere mortal - a witch not even in her prime. But the pain was too unbearable…I couldn't help myself. I felt myself giving in to it and I let my cheek graze the ever-verdant grass once more. The last thing I heard was a cry as somebody shouted, "There she is!"

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Daidouji Tomoyo bit her lip, staring out at the open sky with somber eyes. There was no sign of a single figure riding triumphantly across the heavens on a broom decorated with cherry blossoms - more precisely, there was no sign of Sakura. She glanced dully at the bandage across her arm and felt the bolyvine juice seeping into her skin to help the healing process. Tomoyo sighed. She should be out there helping the other witches search for her best friend; instead she was stuck here in the Herbs and Aid room, wondering what, in the name of Mother, had happened to Sakura. It was too dangerous for an apprentice witch to be out alone at night. There could be centaurs, minotaurs, ghosts, ghouls, goblins, trolls and who new what else, roaming around for a midnight snack. And there was still always the threat of an encounter with a witch-hating mortal.

Yanagisawa Naoko peeped her head into the room and smiled kindly at the girl, her eyes crinkling behind their lenses. "I'm sure she'll be alright," Naoko said softly, staring at Tomoyo's pale face out of the corner of her eye. "This is Sakura, we're talking about." Tomoyo managed a strained smile, then raised her lowered head to the sound of capes fluttering in the breeze. The others had arrived. Sister Sheifa landed lightly on the cold stone of the entrance to the Ruins and shook her head in Tomoyo's direction gravely. "I'm sorry, Daidouji," she whispered. "But all we found was her broom…"

She held up the battered broom, its handle broken in several places and the cherry blossoms looking worn and ragged in the shine of the moonlight.

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Hiiragizawa Eriol strode forward purposefully toward the deathly-still body of the Witch. His heart ached at the way she looked so troubled, even in her weary slumber - the poor thing would soon wake up to the sight of dancing flames eating away at her bruised flesh. The soldiers guarding her glanced in Eriol's direction and stepped aside to let the noble through. "When will the burning ceremony take place?" he inquired, turning away from the form to speak to Senior Officer Takashi.

Yamazaki bowed his head. "Not long," he murmured. "Under Li Syaoran's orders of course."

Eriol nodded. "Of course."

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Burning. The smell of burning reached my nostrils as I opened my eyes groggily to the sound of flickering flames in the cool night air. What I saw made my heart stop its beating as millions of burning torches loomed toward me, menacing faces with relentless eyes staring back at my own petrified emerald ones.

"May the burning begin!" a soldier announced more than joyfully at the announcement and a sudden arousal of cheers echoed throughout the town. I searched frantically for a familiar face - a face that would aid me; a merciful face…and my eyes caught the brown of Touya's, who's faced was masked in apparent pain. He turned away from my pleading gaze and my eyes turned back toward the five torches alight with dancing flames. A steady chant began as the flames licked the rope, just below my bare feet and I screamed in pain at the torture of it all.

Witches must die, witches must die, witches must die, witches must die…

The chant echoed and re-echoed and flames erupted from the tiny spark, dancing across my entire body, burning and singing flesh - my flesh. My wails tore apart the night, tears streaming down my cheeks as if they would extinguish the torture that engulfed me mercilessly. Flames crept across my skin, charring my hands, my face, my arms, dancing in a steady rhythm in unison to the chant, circling me as I screamed in pain, screamed for mercy…

But none came…


~ * o O o <><><><> ~ * ~ <><><><> o O o * ~

Aha! But the sheer wonder of it all is that how could this be S & S if Sakura's already being burnt at the stake? Read next chapter to find out!

I really do hope you enjoyed it. As always, suggestions, opinions, constructive criticism, flames and anything else, are always welcome.

Faith, Hope and Charity

P.S Please excuse me if this story is not up to your standards. I'll try to make it better next chapter.