Card Captor Sakura Fan Fiction ❯ Set Me Free ❯ Prologue ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Set Me Free

By SpringbloomOpal 25 / 4 / 02

Disclaimer: None of the CCS characters belong to me. They are rightfully owned by CLAMP. Please don't sue.

Rating for occasional foul language: PG-13

Summary: She's a Witch. He wants all of her kind to be wiped out. When the two meet, will his ideals be changed? And if they do, will their love overcome all? Or is it just another story with a sad ending?

Prologue: We swerved in unison feeling the chilling beats of our sisterhood binding us together in an oath that could never be shattered, where we were free to romp through endless grass, feeling the blades between our toes, and hear the whistling, endearing wind calling our names with gentle beckons. We were the newest generation to the Sisterhood and each and every one of us had sworn our secrecy and pledged our loyalty to our Mother, our fellow sisters and our new home. Daidouji gave a loud whoop of delight as she circled the night sky with wild loops, then rejoined our group breathless and bright-eyed. Among all of my new sisters, I found Daidouji the sweetest of any of them and in time she and I had formed a pleasant bond.

"No more rules and regulations!" she crowed triumphantly, maneuvering her broom so that she and I were parallel to each other. She giggled and flashed me the sweetest smile, which I returned with one of my own.

"Free at last," I agreed as we turned a sharp right and directed the solid handles of our brooms toward the Ancient Ruins.

Our new home.

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

There was one long rectangular table made of cedar wood sporting eighteen finely-made chairs - nine on each side. Li Syaoran stood at the head as eighteen important and influential faces turned toward him to listen to his announcement.

"I have called you all today to discuss a grave topic - the increasing amount of Witches…" he paused his announcement to spit on the heavily-carpeted floor in disgust, causing a great deal of shuffling from the other nobles. "The Witches have spread and are advancing toward the border of our land and theirs. Their population is increasing; their reinforcements have doubled and I say the Witches must be dealt with before things go out of hand!" he finished his passionate announcement egged on by a large amount of approving applause and whistling from his audience.

As the clapping subsided Eriol Hiirigaziwa, an extremely well-off aristocrat who had only begun his claim to fame a few years back, spoke up. "That's all very well to say Li," he said in a richly-toned accent. "But how do you suppose we set about doing it? You've already mentioned that their reinforcements have doubled, and they could easily outnumber our forces. I do believe it's a rather reckless stunt seeing as attacking them could put the whole town at risk. It would far be better if we set up an alliance…" he was cut off by a rather rude remark from Syaoran's fiancée Li Meiling.

"Why Syaoran," she declared, her voice dripping sarcasm. "I do believe Hiiragizawa here has a soft spot for the Witches - I thought your mother would have been proof enough that the entire Witch coven is dangerous." Her ruby-red eyes had shot daggers toward the blueberry-haired Eriol warning him never to disagree with her fiancée again. Eriol shot up from his chair, his eyes blazing with anger at the mention of his mother and he clenched his fist furiously. "Don't you ever say something against my mother again," he seethed. "Bitch."

There was laughter all around as Meiling gasped at the last remark, but before she could sink her teeth into Hiiragizawa's personal life, Syaoran stopped her with a commanding hand. "Meiling," he snapped, giving her a warning look.

She closed her mouth hurriedly and looked down, choosing not to say anymore, but gave the occasional glare in Eriol's direction.

Syaoran paced back and forth then nodded. "Hiiragizawa has a good point - they could bring us down..." he mused. "But surely our soldiers and the townspeople wouldn't mind lending a hand, would they?" he smirked. The soldiers, no doubt would obey his every command, and it would only be a matter of time before the townspeople would comply. It only took a threat to bring them down to their knees.

"What you're saying is suicide!" a few of the nobles objected, rising up from their chairs.

"Maybe so, but we wish to damage their empire before any damage is done to us."

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

"Where are you going Sakura?" Mother Zawa asked, looking up from her steaming cauldron of toad's breath and tail of newt. Once we'd arrived at the Ruins, I'd been surprised at how much of that fairy-tale stuff had actually been true. It seemed popular tales had hit closer to home than any of the newer generation had realized, and we'd been welcomed into the coven by an attack of midnight-black jade-eyed cats, then sent to the Mother to receive our capes which were made of a soft flimsy material that I'd been told had been made out of spider's silk and raven's feathers.

I graced her with a grin, grabbing my cape from the rack. "I'm just going to gather some lavender and bolyvine," I lied, crossing my fingers behind my back. "We need to stock up for the winter, and the bolyvine juice isn't gonna make itself!" Mother gave me a grateful smile. "Sakura, you're a wonder."

I felt bad for lying to her, especially when she gave me her complete trust and had just praised me for something I wasn't actually gonna do, but ever since a few nights back I'd had a sudden urge to re-visit my family, my home…I dunno. I guess it's just a simple case of homesickness, but all the same I still felt empty inside. Oh, I'm not saying I was actually gonna make contact with Dad or Touya…I'd sworn by that rule, and I felt bad enough already - there was no way I'd breach one of the sacred laws of the coven. Tomoyo joined me as I headed to where our broomsticks were kept, marveling at their slender handles and finely-kept straw bristles. They all gleamed with some kind of nice sheen and I picked out mine from the Apprentice stacks. As a rule each and every one of us were to take care of our broomsticks with great care and polish them daily. I'd decorated mine with cherry blossoms where the bristles and the handle met, as Sister Fuutie had informed that it made our bond with our brooms a little stronger if we provided it with a part of ourselves. Tomoyo had added a lock of her beautiful dark curls to hers, and I envied the way her hair shone as they cascaded over her shoulders. Mine was just a jaw-length cut and terribly untidy.

"Hey," she greeted me. "I was just doing my training and Sister Fanren said I was doing well with my studies." She flushed with pleasure and I gave her a hug to express my happiness for her, then made a face. "Fuutie thinks I daydream a little too much." Tomoyo laughed as we withdrew from our embrace and she gazed at me curiously. "Mind if I go with you to pick up some lavender?" she asked. "I'm running a little low." She showed me her satchel (every one of us had gotten one in case we needed some herbs in an emergency) which looked a little light, and I sighed.

"I would say yes," I replied, lowering my voice so that any of the other sisters passing by wouldn't hear. "But the truth is that I'm not really going to get any lavender or bolyvine…I just want to visit my old home again…" I peered at her face, waiting for a reaction and hoping she wouldn't go ballistic on me and start ranting and raving about how I was doing a really bad thing. I didn't need a lecture.

Shock crossed her features and she scratched her head. "Ummm…Sakura, unless I'm sadly mistaken…won't you get into really bad trouble for that?" I knew she didn't want me to get into trouble - believe me, the feeling was mutual.

"Yeah…" I faltered for a bit, then regained my composure. "But…youwon'ttellthemwillyou?IonlywanttoseethemandIpromiseIwon'tlett hemseeme…it'sjustthatImissDadandTouyasomuchand…" I poured out everything in a rush, babbling about whatever came to mind as I fixed her with a pleading look Tomoyo laughed and shook her head. "Relax, Sakura-chan…you're my friend. I'm not gonna turn you in. In fact…" her eyes twinkled as she paused and I wondered what the 'in fact' was all about. "I'd be glad to come with you. I really wanna see what your life was like before…well, now."
I fixed her with a doubtful look. "Are you sure?" I asked hesitantly. I really didn't want to land her into trouble. If we got caught, I'd prefer it if I'd be the one punished, and not have to drag anybody along with me - especially not my best friend. "I mean…you do know what you're getting yourself into, right?"

Her nod was firm and resolute. "Pretty please?" she begged. "With bottlebrush on top?"

I laughed and finally gave in, knowing I'd probably regret it later. "Okay," I agreed. "Grab your broom and let's go."

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

"Alright men…I trust you've been informed about our plan?" Syaoran paced back and forth in front of the sixty or so young soldiers who stood straight and proud in their uniform, their medallions gleaming in the sunlight. They nodded an affirmative, keeping their faces solemn and straight as they squinted at the sun. "Yes sir!" They barked, knowing that Li Syaoran was one of the most important and significant men in the town, and should be shown some respect. Syaoran smiled in satisfaction and approval. "That's good to hear," he began. "Because all of you will take part in this battle…there will be no exceptions and I expect a great amount of co-operation and hard work in your training. Do I make myself clear?"

There were groans all around but they nodded all the same. "Yes sir! We understand Mr. Li, sir!"

Syaoran chuckled. "Good. Because you're training will began now at this very minute. I want you all to watch, do you hear me? Not only do I want you to use your handiwork with your little…toys over there…" he said gesturing to their pistols which lay in a stack waiting to be picked up. "I also want you to learn some martial arts as well…one can never be prepared for the worst." He grinned at the silent group then nodded toward the senior officer who stood at the start of the line, beckoning for him to step forward. "Senior Officer Takashi, come forward please. I will make an example." Takashi Yamazaki did as was told and for once looked nervous as he stood in front of his men wondering what Li would do to 'make an example' of him.

"Watch," Syaoran cautioned as he did a simple spinning kick, sending the once proud officer flat on his back, hearing the laughter around him. It would take him years to redeem his dignity and get his respect back. Luckily, he was spared any further humiliation as one of Syaoran's servant came bustling toward them hurriedly, a deep frown on his features. "Master," he panted. "Two Witches…circling above the town!"

Syaoran's eyes widened then he set his jaw and nodded toward the soldiers. "Alright men!" he ordered. "Take up your guns…you know what you have to do!"

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

"And here's where Dad and Touya live…" I told Tomoyo as I circled my old home wistfully. What I wouldn't give to hear Touya call me a 'kaijuu' again or just to be able to speak to them and give them a hug. She looked downward and sighed, knowing that I must be feeling pretty gloomy right about now. She gave me a tentative pat on the back and I shot her a grateful smile, as she zoomed in for a closer look. "Uh…Sakura," she asked hesitantly peering at a bunch of people who had crowded around to gaze at us. I heard one or two people shout things like, "We'll burn you at the stake!" and "Kill the Witches!"

I gulped. This is not good. We didn't have enough time to act as by then a group of townspeople - people I had once grown to know and love, swarmed around us from below, carrying torches and bringing up deadly chants that brought a chill through my spine. I heard a thundering of hooves and the sound of horses neighing, catching sight of guns strapped to the soldier's sides, and I knew that this was more than a little town grudge. They were out for blood. Our blood. "Quick Tomoyo," I hissed! "We have to get away! And fast…" She didn't need me to say it again. We sped away on our brooms, the horses not far behind as the soldiers chased us and shot us with bullets from their guns, as the townspeople, with their burning torches, followed not far behind. We may have been Witches, but we weren't experienced enough yet to protect ourselves except to dodge every single bullet that was fired - and I tell you, there was a good plenty. Oh Mother, I groaned to myself. We're gonna die and it's all my fault…me and Tomoyo…"

I felt searing pan hit my shoulder and I lost control of my broom as I went spinning along with it. "Sakura!" I heard Tomoyo cry as blackness begun to engulf me and all I could do was gasp and hold on tightly for dear life.

"Go back to the coven NOW!" I screamed as I tried to speed further away from the soldiers, feeling nauseas - partly because of the spinning and partly because of all the blood that I was losing. Finally, I couldn't take it anymore and I shut my eyes tight, giving in to the blackness that swirled around me as I felt myself falling…

^ ^ ^ ^ ^

"Sakura and Tomoyo have been gone a very long time," Mother Zawa murmured, her face creasing into a worried frown. "I hope nothing bad has happened to them…"

There was a sudden commotion from the entrance of the Ruins and Tomoyo burst in, tears mingling with blood as she collapsed to the floor, badly hurt. "Sakura…" she croaked out. The Mother rose from her seat and hurried to Daidouji Tomoyo's aid. "What?!" she demanded, now in clear panic. "What is it?!"

"It's Sakura!" Tomoyo gasped, wiping the blood from her left cheek as she panted for breath. "They've got her!"

~ * o O o <><><><> ~ * ~ <><><><> o O o * ~

Ummm...I hope you liked it. This is my first fic and I'm so happy that I actually finished the first chapter. Usually I get bored of a story before I even finish a paragraph.

I accept flames, suggestions, constructive criticisms and anything else you'd like to add. I think that these are all some kinds of opinions and even though I may not like some of them, I'd like to know what you all think.

"If you want to see the sun shine, you have to weather the storm."

I like this quote a lot but I'm really not sure who or where it comes from. All I know is that I don't own it so please don't sue me for this either.

Faith, Hope and Charity.

Ja!