Card Captor Sakura Fan Fiction ❯ The Clow Child ❯ Clow Child ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Summary: Sakura faces a dangerous new enemy, and Syaoran's not quite himself.

~...~ are thoughts.


Clow Child, Part 2: The Clow Child


Syaoran slowly opened his eyes. Though his vision was blurry, he instantly realized that he was strapped to an operating table. The first person he recognized was Meiling.

A regretful look appeared on her face. "I'm sorry I had to knock you out, but you were in great danger of hurting yourself even more."

~Yeah, like that kick just made me perfectly healthy.~ "Meiling, this isn't funny. Let me go right now!"

"I can't do that, Syaoran," Meiling replied sadly. She gently pressed a hand to his forehead. "At least your fever's gone now."

"What's going on here? Why am I tied down like this?!"

Instead of answering, Meiling looked at something that was just out of Syaoran's view. After a short pause, a tall man with white hair appeared beside her.

Syaoran's eyes widened as he recognized his guardian. "Wei, help me! Meiling's gone nuts! She attacked me at the stadium and-"

"Calm down, Syaoran," Wei said. "Meiling isn't crazy, and neither am I, but you may think we are after I explain everything to you." He picked up a notepad. "What's the last thing you remember doing after helping Sakura capture The Big?"

Syaoran thought for a moment. "I went to get my bag, and I got this sharp pain in my chest. Then I noticed this green stuff on my chest. I figured it was a grass stain from the game."

Wei glanced at Meiling. "That wasn't grass, Syaoran. That was blood. Your blood, to be precise."

"What are you talking about? My blood isn't green! It's red!"

"You mean it used to be. Show him, Meiling."

Meiling drew a small pin out of her pocket and pricked Syaoran's arm with it. Sure enough, the liquid that came trickling out was green.

Syaoran stared at his arm in silence for a while before asking, "What happened to me?"

Wei sat down beside the table. "I need to know something before I can answer that. Syaoran, do you believe that capturing the Clow Cards is the most important task for someone of our lineage?"

"Of course, but what does that have to do with-"

Wei held up a hand for silence. "Ever since Clow Reed's death, some of our ancestors believed that his spirit could be reborn in the body of one of his descendants. Evidence of this type of reincarnation has actually been recorded. Every few generations, a young boy gains special powers that normal Card Captors can only dream of. I didn't believe it myself, until I saw one of these boys."

"Who was it?" Syaoran asked quietly.

"It was my grandfather. The day before he died, he told me the very same story I'm telling you now. But there was once major difference. My grandfather showed me his powers so that I would believe him. I can't give you any proof yet, Syaoran. I'm only asking you to trust what I'm telling you."

"So...you're saying that I'm one of those boys?"

Wei sighed. "No, Syaoran. I think you used to be one of those boys...until recently. An unexpected factor is keeping you from achieving your destiny...but with my help, I can help you regain what you've lost."

Syaoran frowned. "I'm still waiting for the part when you explain why I'm tied down and why I have green blood."

"The Clow Child always has green blood," Meiling said. "At least, during the time when his powers are the strongest."

Wei stood up and checked Syaoran's pulse. "For past few months, I've been keeping a record of your blood pressure. It's getting higher, which means this is the best time for you to use your powers. Unfortunately, your body doesn't realize that it's being hindered, and it's trying to use the powers without the necessary guides."

"Guides?" Syaoran asked.

"You would know them as the Clow Cards," Wei explained. "Without enough of them in your possession, you grow weaker every time you use your powers. That's why you were bleeding after you used the Time Card today."

"But Clow Cards only appear one at a time. By the time they all show up, I'll be too weak."

"Not necessarily. There are two ways to hinder the process. One, which we are already using, is to forcefully inject the powers of the Clow Cards into you. However, that also causes some side effects, such as increased emotional responses." Wei paused. "The other way is to take the Clow Cards that Kinomoto Sakura has already captured."

Syaoran narrowed his eyes. "You mean steal them from her?!"

"It's your well-being on line, not mine. I am merely trying to help you, Syaoran. Whether you accept it or not, you are the Clow Child, and if you don't heed my warnings, your destiny will destroy you. We can keep up the injections as long as we need to, but the side effects may get worse over time."

"Syaoran, you've only got a few Cards right now," Meiling said. "You wouldn't even have to take all of Sakura's. Just enough to keep you from draining yourself. Maybe you could even convince her to give them to you."

* * * * *

The dream started off the same way it always did. Sakura stood near the top of one tower, staring across at the figure hidden in shadows of another. She could hear Kero's wings quietly beating the air behind her. "Who are you?" she asked. She didn't expect an answer; she never got one.

"You are not the one," the figure said.

Sakura gasped in surprise. It had never spoken before.

Suddenly, the figure was right next to her, casting its menacing shadow over her. "You are not the one," it repeated, raising a sword above its head.

Sakura screamed and fell to the ground as the sword began to fall. Then she heard metal striking metal and a series of grunts. Looking up, she saw someone standing between the figure and herself with another sword. Though she couldn't see the face, she recognized the green outfit. ~It's Syaoran; it has to be! He's protecting me!~

Suddenly, her rescuer turned around, and she could see that it was indeed Syaoran. "Run, Sakura!" he shouted. "Run and don't look back! Go now!"

"No, Syaoran! I can't you leave you here to face that thing!"

Sakura felt something tugging at her hand. Now Kero was shouting for her to run, too.

"Go, Sakura!" Syaoran yelled. "You don't understand what we're fighting here! RUN!" As he shouted at her, the shadowy figure grabbed his arm.

Finally, Sakura did run. She ran until her legs gave out ten minutes later. Then she turned back. Syaoran was still fighting the shadow, but it seemed to be winning now. Sakura shouted his name, but then they both vanished. She turned to ask Kero what she should do, but he was gone as well. Sakura was alone now, but not for long.

The shadow appeared beside her, sword in hand. "You are not the one," it said again, raising the sword. "You do not belong here." The sword fell again, but this time, Syaoran wasn't there to stop it...

* * * * *

Sakura screamed as she woke up in drenched in sweat. The dream had seemed so real just a second ago. She could've sworn that she could feel the sword piercing right through her body.

She slowly climbed out of bed and walked over to her dressed. She peered inside the top drawer, only to find that Kero was still asleep. She'd have to tell him about the dream in the morning.

As Sakura turned back to her bed, she noticed a red stain on the floor. To her surprise, another soon appeared near her foot. Looking down, she realized that the front of her pajamas were soaked in blood. Yet, for some reason, she couldn't find any wounds on her at all.

After changing into another set of pajamas, Sakura quickly went back to bed, but she wouldn't fall asleep for a while. It was then that she realized how cold it had suddenly gotten. She couldn't figure out why, until she noticed that the window was wide open. As if that wasn't enough, then she spotted a piece of torn green fabric clinging to her blanket. Sakura swallowed a gasp, because she knew that somehow, her dream was very real, and very dangerous.

* * * * *

Syaoran didn't say anything as Meiling helped him up the stairs. He was afraid that Wei might hear them. Instead, he waited until they were in his bedroom before asking his question.

"Meiling, do you really believe any of this stuff?"

She gave him a curious look. "Of course I do. I wouldn't be helping Wei if I didn't."

With her help, Syaoran carefully sat down on the bed. "So why'd you knock me out?"

Meiling sat down next to him. "Well, like Wei told you, increased emotional responses are a side effect. When you saw the blood, your mind just told you it was grass stains, and you really believed it. You were trying to rationalize what you should have known already."

"What do you mean, should have known?"

"Syaoran, we've been doing this experiment for nearly three months now. This is the first time I've had to knock you out. Wei thinks memory loss might be another side effect. That's why I knocked you out. We had to bring you back here before you did something unexpected." She gently pressed her hand to his cheek. "I didn't hurt you, did I?"

Syaoran pressed his hand over her own. "No, I've taken worse hits from Clow Cards." ~But not many. She's definitely been training harder.~

Meiling stared into his eyes. "You know I'd never do anything to hurt you, don't you, Syaoran?"

"Yeah, I know." He squeezed her hand before pulling it away. "I'm really tired. I think I need some time to absorb all this."

She nodded and walked to the door. "Fatigue could be another side effect. Just call me if you need anything, okay?"

"I'll do that." Syaoran turned away and slowly took off his shirt, grunting quietly as a new pain raced through his arms. He stood still for a moment, then moved again after the pain faded. He wasn't surprised when a gentle hand came to rest against his back.

"Are you sure you're okay, Syaoran?"

"I'm fine, Meiling. Stop worrying about me."

She glanced at him once more before leaving the room. ~I wish I could, dear cousin, but being the Clow Child is more dangerous than you know.~

* * * * *

"I'm telling you, Kero-chan, the dream was real! There was blood everywhere, and I found this!" Sakura held up the piece of torn cloth.

Kero examined the cloth carefully. "I'll admit that this does look like it came from Syaoran's costume, but that would have to mean that he was here last night."

"Well, the window was open! How do you explain that?"

"Maybe you left it open?" Kero shrugged. "Sakura, I don't know why your dream has changed, or why it seems so real, but-"

"It IS real!" Sakura insisted. "Why won't you believe me?"

"Sakura, you have to admit that this sounds a little crazy. The best thing you can do is try not to think about it. Now stop talking to me, or people will think you're talking to your lunch box!" With that, Kero ducked back inside the box before someone saw him.

Sakura sighed and skated faster as she neared the school. ~Why doesn't Kero believe me? He was in the dream! He's the Guardian! He should know what's happening to me!~ But then she remembered someone else that was in the dream. ~Syaoran! Maybe he knows what the dream is about.~ Then her face fell. ~But Meiling sounded so angry on the phone last night. Maybe I should stay away from him... No! I have to figure out this dream, and Syaoran is the only one who can help me now.~

* * * * *

For the first time in years, Syaoran felt as if he hadn't gotten any sleep the previous night. He distinctly remembered going to bed at six, but he kept nodding off anyway. He would have missed the entire class if Sakura hadn't elbowed him every few minutes, and even that didn't do much good. By the time lunch rolled around, Syaoran wanted to do nothing more than go to bed.

He was actually considering that when Sakura caught up with him. "Syaoran, can I ask you something weird?"

Syaoran stifled a yawn. "Only if I can stay awake long enough to hear it."

~He really looks terrible...~ Sakura shook the thought away. "Did you have a dream last night?"

"Not that I know of. I feel like I didn't sleep at all, even though I went to bed early."

"Really? That's strange. I had a nightmare, and I could barely get back to sleep afterwards. Do you think it could be a Clow Card?"

Syaoran shook his head. "We're the only ones that had trouble sleeping. Clow Cards usually affect everyone, not just us." He yawned loudly, then rubbed his eyes. "What happened in your nightmare?"

Sakura grew uneasy just thinking about it, but she somehow managed to tell him everything without shuddering visibly. By the time she was done, Syaoran wasn't yawning anymore, and his eyes seemed a bit more focused on her face. "So what do you think it means?" she asked.

Syaoran blinked. "I'm not sure. You said the blood wasn't yours?"

"I couldn't find any cuts on me or anything, so I don't think so. I was wondering if your costume was ripped," she said, holding out a small piece of green fabric.

His eyes widened as he took it from her. "I didn't go out last night, but this is definitely-"

"There you are, Syaoran!" Meiling said as she came running up to them. Her eyes narrowed as she spotted the fabric, and then settled accusingly on Sakura. "Where did you get that?"

Sakura started to answer, but Syaoran silenced her with a glance. "Don't worry about it, Meiling. Sakura was just leaving."

Fortunately, Sakura took the hint and quickly walked away.

"Unless that was about her giving you the Clow Cards, I don't think you should talk to her anymore," Meiling muttered once Sakura was gone.

"Never mind that right now." Syaoran held up the fabric. "You recognized this, too, didn't you?"

"Yes, but-"

"That means that either I was in Sakura's room last night, or someone wearing my costume was. The first explains why I'm so tired, but the second is pointing straight at you, Meiling. I think you better tell me more about this Clow Child business as soon as we get home."

* * * * *

Tomoyo had never realized how quiet the walk home could be. She'd always had Sakura to talk to before. But today, Sakura had been distracted, just like Syaoran had the previous day. Maybe it was some CardCaptor business, but even that was usually shared between the three of them.

~It doesn't always have to be CardCaptor business. Maybe it's something personal that Sakura isn't ready to talk about yet.~

A sudden breeze of cool wind interrupted Tomoyo's thoughts. She looked up to see a strange shadow a few yards up the street. She couldn't be sure, but it almost looked like Syaoran, if he had been wearing his costume. ~But it's still afternoon. If there was a Clow Card on the loose, Syaoran wouldn't bother to change first.~

The shadow vanished as quickly as it had appeared, and Tomoyo didn't give it another thought until a cold hand wrapped around her left wrist. She spun around, only to stare into a pair of gray eyes. The rest of the shadow was dense darkness.

"Who are you?" Tomoyo asked slowly.

The shadow didn't respond. At least, not in words. It searched her face for a few moments, confusion dominating its gaze. Finally, anger and disappointment set in, and the shadow whispered, "You are not the one, but you know of her."

"What do you want?"

"I want," the shadow said quietly, "what is mine. And you will help me get it."

Before Tomoyo could protest, she could feel herself growing sleepy, and the last thing she saw was the darkness just before it swallowed her.

* * * * *

As soon as Syaoran got home, he ran up to his room and threw open the doors to his closet. His costume was hanging just where he'd left it. He pulled it out of the closet and examined it closely. On the right sleeve, he found a small hole.

"I know what you're going to say," Meiling said as she walked up behind him. "It wasn't me, Syaoran. I didn't take your costume."

"Well, someone did," he replied, drawing the fabric Sakura had given him out of his pocket. He wasn't surprised to find that it fit the hole perfectly. "You and Wei are the only ones that know about it."

"It couldn't have been Wei. Your costume doesn't fit him."

Syaoran grunted and started to hang the costume up, but Meiling took it from him.

"I'll sew it up for you," she offered. When he gave her a suspicious look, she added, "You can watch me if you want."

Syaoran said nothing, but followed her to the guest room. He recognized several of the dolls on the bed, but that was no surprise. Since she was family and therefore always welcome, Meiling had often spent the night at Wei's house. ~Probably just to be near me.~

Meiling was done in less than ten minutes, much to his surprise. "Syaoran, I'm not sure how you feel about being the Clow Child," she said quietly, "but you used to trust me before. Nothing's changed. I'm still the cousin you grew up with."

Syaoran turned away from her and picked up one of the dolls. It reminded him of earlier days, when he'd never heard of Clow Cards. When he was still just a kid who happened to be best friends with his cousin. When he didn't know anything about magic, girls, or love.

"Syaoran?" Meiling placed a hand on his shoulder. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing." Syaoran put the doll back. "How will I know when I have enough of the Clow Cards?"

She was a little surprised at how quickly he'd changed the subject. "According to Wei, your powers should increase so much that you'll feel like a whole new being. He said it'd be pretty hard to miss."

"Which Cards has he been injecting me with?"

Meiling thought for a moment. "We've only tried the Time Card before, but I guess we could use another one."

"This one." Syaoran held up the Dash Card.

"Why that one?" she asked.

"No reason," he replied, staring at it. "I just feel like getting this over with quickly tonight."

* * * * *

"I'm not so sure about this, Kero-chan," Sakura whispered. "I think we should have waited for Syaoran."

Kero glared at her. "Sakura, you can't stop being a CardCaptor just because you had a bad dream. Now get in there and get that Clow Card!"

Sakura sighed, then nodded and stepped into the clearing. A few feet away, something that looked like a cross between a lion and a dragon scratched the bark off a tree. As Sakura came closer, the creature suddenly looked at her.

~I guess I have to weaken this thing first.~ Taking a deep breath, Sakura drew out the Power Card. "Power Card, grant your powers to this wand! Release and dispel!"

The creature lost all interest in the curiously dressed girl and turned back to the tree it had been scratching.

Sakura ran forward and struck the creature with her wand. She expected it to roar, or at least pretend that she was bothering it. Instead, the creature literally popped out of existence, much like a large bubble. With a sigh of frustration, Sakura looked at Kero. "I don't suppose you have any ideas?"

Before Kero could reply, a black tendril wrapped around his waist and yanked him to the ground.

Sakura almost screamed when she saw the shadow. While it wasn't as tall as it had been in her dream, it was no less frightening. And now it was slowly drawing Kero into its depths. Without thinking, Sakura charged, planning to knock the shadow's head off.

There was a quick gust of wind, and Sakura found herself on the ground. Looking up, she saw Syaoran standing between her and the shadow. Only she had no idea where he'd come from, or how he'd moved so fast.

Syaoran cut the tendril with his sword and threw Kero towards Sakura. "Take him and go," he said. It wasn't a request.

Still, Sakura only watched as the shadow sent out more tendrils. Syaoran kept avoiding them and slicing them off when the opportunity arose. ~He's trying to protect me. Just like in the dream!~

"Sakura, what are you waiting for?!" Kero cried. "Get in there and help him!"

Syaoran suddenly darted forward and drove his sword into the shadow's midst. There was an ear-piercing shriek, and the dark form seemed to explode outward, revealing its prisoner.

Sakura could only stare in horror as Syaoran stepped back, shaking his head in disbelief. Yet he could see it, just as she could.

Tomoyo looked down at the sword protruding from her stomach. She didn't seem to be alarmed at all. She simply pulled it out and tossed it to the ground. "That was a nice one, Syaoran," she said, "but I'm afraid you didn't hit anything vital."

"What do we do, Kero-chan?!" Sakura asked. "How do we separate that Card from Tomoyo?!"

Kero shook his head. "That's no Clow Card I've ever seen."

"So what is it?!" she demanded.

"Your doom," Tomoyo replied with a cruel smile. "But that will have to wait. You have one more day to prepare yourselves, CardCaptors. If you cannot find a way to defeat me by then, this body is mine for the taking." Tomoyo quickly faded away, leaving only a thin curl of smoke as she departed.

Sakura stood up and looked at Syaoran. "Now what?"

Syaoran didn't answer right away. He picked up his sword and wiped it on the grass. Then he turned to face her. "Come to my house at eight o' clock tomorrow morning."

"What?" she asked in surprise. "But we have class-"

"This is more important than any class," he said sharply. "Unless a grade matters more to you than your best friend's life." He sighed, then shook his head. "I'm sorry, Sakura, but this is the most dangerous enemy we've ever faced, and we have to be ready. Both of us."

"But how do we fight something that controls Tomoyo?"

"Very carefully."


Continued in Part 3: No More Secrets